Get Off the Forum of Circular Arguments and Watch World Cup Football

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (17 posts)
  1. glendoncaba profile image74
    glendoncabaposted 13 years ago

Pathetic to see grownups making no claim to attempt even the most cursory understanding of Christian theology use the forums to bash the pillars of the Christian faith.

How about a well deserved break for the greatest show on earth, World Cup Football in South Africa.

In other words stop the endless diatribe (yea, been there done that) and enjoy the talent on display in the most beautiful game on the planet.

Come on guys, we need to see more World Cup threads at the top of the heap.

1. profile image0
      woolman60posted 13 years agoin reply to this

The world cup is awesome, the Swiss beat Spain
      and Greece won there first world cup game ever, and don't forget
      USA vs Slovenia
      They play at 9:30am Friday (tomorrow)

2. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

Yeah.. Absolutely....

Wasn't it a great result with the Romans drawing with that Christian state the oher day!

Christians - 1
    Lions - 1

lol

And the NZ non-believers play the same Italians next week.
    The winner of this match to play with the emotions of a christian team from South America.

You're right it's far better to watch the competition from the seats of an arena. lol

glendoncabaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Pearldiver, I like the amorphous avatar.  Toad or alien?  Or a human? 

Great humour too.  smile

3. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

Yep there's something soothing about aloe as well lol

There will be lots of surprises in this WC.
    Two very obvious points have to be the altitude and the new balls that are being used.  They are completely unpredictable in flight, with many keepers choosing to punch them as opposed to trying to wrap them up.

4. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

A friend who is a keen soccer player reckons the new ball is a lemon too! smile
    Is it true that one of the teams had access to the new ball before the others?

glendoncabaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If the ball makes life more difficult for the keeper it can only add more fortune to the attacking side which is what we need.  The game has become too defensive.

2. Pearldiver profile image67
      Pearldiverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Mate.... The whole Aussi team called it a lemon after it kept sneaking over their goal line 4 times when German boots connected with it sad

You know FIFA over the years have never been completely up front with either their team or sponsorship relationships. The ONLY way to trial something like a new Multi-Million dollar Official World Cup ball product... will be to allow top players contribute to it's research and inclusion; no doubt. hmm

I'm sure that non disclosure contracts would have formed part of that exercise too hmm

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My friend was a bit shocked! He said the Australians could not control the new ball, yet the Germans played like they had been using it for months! smile
        All I know is we got creamed! lol

3. Donnacha C profile image71
      Donnacha Cposted 13 years agoin reply to this

all teams/countries had the chance to use the Jabulani ball from January on...some claim that Germany has some sort of advantage as this ball has been used in the Bundesliga all season...In my opinion that is utter rubbish: obviously there are non-German players in the Bundesliga as well (Robben, Demechelis, Ribbery, etc.) so this theory won`t be working...was very disappointed to here Wayne Rooney today claiming the same...it`s a ball afterall, how much different it can be to other balls...there was plenty of time for everyone to learn to controll it....

5. glendoncaba profile image74

That Swiss team has mastered the art of keeping it compact in defence and attack.  What an upset for Spain.  Doubt there will be a bigger surprise.

Out of respect for the eminent Nelson Mandela, Uruguay should not have bothered to score a third goal against the host.  I'm not joking.

6. glendoncaba profile image74

I started the thread but must run off to bed so I can wake up to watch the Argentina match.

7. optimus grimlock profile image60
    optimus grimlockposted 13 years ago

greatest show on earth wtf????????? Your not from our planet baseball,basketball, real football are way more exciting then soccer or futbol.

1. mrpopo profile image72
      mrpopoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would understand hockey, but...

Baseball? You stand 90% of the time and most of the players are bulky, whose only objective is to hit the ball hard and then walk around the bases. The only real talent is found in the pitcher, who can control the different spins of the ball. Otherwise all you have to know is how to catch a ball and to hit it on occasion.

Basketball? The majority of players have to be tall or with great hops. The emphasis is not found on getting the most strategic plays like three pointers, but on dunking, which is of less value yet more "entertaining". Few players truly make it a distinguishable sport based on skill and ability.

Real football? You mean the one where they barely use their feet? Running in a straight line behind equipment and a ton of muscle, and then crashing into each other. Sounds complicated. The only one coordinating any sort of play or ability most of the time is the quarterback.

Soccer has much more variety and potential ability involved. It is more of a team sport and anyone can play, provided they have cardiovascular resistance. Otherwise, it's universal. Creativity is pretty much limitless, as opposed to the above sports. It has its flaws - diving, lack of video replay - but it is still the world sport.

8. optimus grimlock profile image60
    optimus grimlockposted 13 years ago

soccer has hardly any contact the playes run 10yards sprint a few times a game and the cry when they get hit. You need some stamina for soccer but not as much as football or basketball. soccer doesn't have much potential as any of the sports i've named.

1. mrpopo profile image72
      mrpopoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't think that seems to be the case.

Basketball, 3-5 km per game
      http://yedda.com/questions/Basketball_F … 112441613/

Football, 3 km per game
      http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index … 154AAV6IlX

Soccer, 10-11 km per game
      http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/football-nutrition.html
      http://www.brianmac.co.uk/football/nutrition.htm

"The link between football players and long-distance endurance athletes seems strange at first glance, since football is a game involving sudden sprints and bursts of energy rather than continuous moderate-intensity running, but the connection doesn't seem so extraordinary when one considers what happens during an actual football match. In a typical contest, football players run for a total of 10-11 kilometres at fairly modest speed, sprint for about 800-1200 metres, accelerate 40-60 different times, and change direction every five seconds or so."

Please do explain the lack of potential for soccer as opposed to the other sports. As far as I know, the World Cup is the most popular sporting event in the world, so it would seem the majority of people are seeing potential in something that isn't there.

I mean, it's your opinion to what constitutes a real sport, so if those sports are your cup of tea then by all means enjoy. I just wanted to explain why I think it's the world sport. One thing I forgot to mention - it's really easy to play, material wise. All you need is a ball. My cousins used to play with socks bundled large enough to be playable. You can't do that with basketball, baseball or football.

1. optimus grimlock profile image60
        optimus grimlockposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you watch these sports you'll see football players run more then soccer player and so do basketball plaers. In soccer the forward runs almost as much as a wr. Soccer players arent as fast as football players watch them there quite a bit slower. In soccer if you have stamina you'll be fine, were football you need more explosiveness. in the link they said football but were talking about rugby. I played them all, american football is way harder then soccer. Soccer is fun as long as you can play with 4-5 people.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)