Losing motivation, not making any money

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (63 posts)
  1. princess g profile image60
    princess gposted 13 years ago

I realize it takes a while to start making money here. But it's hard to keep going when I only get a few cants for Adsense clicks. How long does it take to start making anything?

1. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is hard to tell who makes very much here, or how.  My general approach online is to use a variety of platfrom and divde my time according to what they earn, not how engaging they are.  You can have all kind of nice hub metrics and hang out on the forums daily... and make nothing Don't be distracted from the money metric if money is your goal.

2. profile image0
      shazwellynposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Maybe your writing is just too damned good!  No one wants to click on ads when you have a good article!

princess gposted 13 years agoin reply to this

@shazwellyn

That's it! It's obvious to me now:)

1. profile image0

*wink*

3. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That depends most often on what your Hubs are about and how well they are drawing traffic from search engines.

I've got an interesting poll up on one of my Hubs where people have indicated how well they are doing.  Keep in mind the majority of the respondents are newer. 

http://hubpages.com/hub/Improve-Your-Hub-Earnings

When I update the poll this coming August, I'm going to add a 2nd poll where users can state how long they've been on the site.  And it's going to need at least two greater earning tiers from what I've read in the forums plus my own experience this past year.

Many users need at least a year and somewhere between 50 and 100 Hubs to see steady earnings (often defined as monthly AdSense payouts).  If you've only had a single Hub up for most of the past two years, I think you still have a ways to go before you see productive results.

4. bigbellyfat profile image60
      bigbellyfatposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi princess,

Hang in there!  Making money online takes a lot of testing and trying different things.  Do a search on Google for a forum called the Warrior Forum.  They have tonnes of amazing information on how to make money online and there are many people discussing Hubpages in particular.  The nice thing is that the site does not cost money and it is a forum where people want to help each other succeed.  Good luck!

5. tony0724 profile image59
      tony0724posted 13 years agoin reply to this

princess I have barely made enough to buy a pizza and a beer here. And to tell you the truth I could care less. If you love to write I say keep writing. I write here because I feel a sense of urgency to communicate what I am feeling. And I also try to have fun with the interaction with fellow hubbers here.

So I just keep saying what I have to say regardless of what my earnings may be. Writing is an artform and I am probably one of the lamest writers here , as I have no background in it. But art and commerce rarely intersect. So if money is your sole motivation this will always be a mundane labor. Have fun and write because you love it !

6. starme77 profile image79
      starme77posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Dont give up it will come - just keep on a writin smile

2. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

Well, with 22 month under your belt you obviously are doing something wrong, or not doing something you have to do. Some of my hubs touch on this smile

I only had one hub up for most of that time

1. kirstenblog profile image78
        kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think you may have spotted your biggest problem. One hub just aint gonna earn you that much money. To be honest only a few seem to have the skill to earn from 20-30 hubs. My goal when starting out was to get 100 hubs up and I am getting close. I am also seeing some small but consistent earnings (with one affiliate or the other, they trade off a lot). This stuff takes some serious work, the more work you put in the more you will get out.

2. princess g profile image60

I meant I only had one hub up for most of the time I've been on here. I recently started writing more hubs.

1. kirstenblog profile image78
          kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You may just start to see more rewarding results now that you are writing more hubs smile

3. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

Oh, I just visited your profile, and according to your hubs you should be teaching me the stuff, not vice versa. Since this is not the case, you may as well start with deleting all your online money making advice hubs smile

I haven't had a problem making money anywhere else, just Hubpages.

But thanks for saying that with a smiley.

1. Misha profile image62
        Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hubpages are not materially different from any other place in terms of making money - you drive traffic, traffic clicks on your paying links. So, if you really are making it elsewhere, you should have no difficulties making it on HP.

That was my whole point for bringing up the question. I'm obviously doing something wrong here.

I appreciate constructive critisism. Thank you.

4. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 13 years ago

I'm doing much better than last year but not as well as I had hoped...roll

5. Jamie101 profile image58
    Jamie101posted 13 years ago

Don't loose hope! So you haven't become a billionaire over night, that doesn't mean you should quit. My advice is to just keep Hubbing. If your not making much money, and theres not a lot of people reading your hubs, just keep writing. One major problem might that maybe you have low scores and thats keeping people from reading them. Instead of just saying anything, you should write about something you know about. Just an idea. Good luck, hope it works out for you.

-Jamie101

Thank you for your suggestions Jamie

6. Pcunix profile image92
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

Please correct ne if I am wrong, but:

A quick glance at your hubs shows that many are about making money on line and one, ironically, is about maintaining motivation.

And yet you ask this question..

That makes me think that possibly you have little first hand experience with making money on-line and are just regurgitating stuff you have found elsewhere?  If that is not the case, I apologize; it just seems an odd question for an experienced person to ask.

I DO make money on-line, about 75% of my total income comes directly or indirectly from what I do at my websites.  About 25% comes from advertising.  Yet you'll see that I don't write much about that subject - pretty much not at all here and only sporadically at my main site.  When I DO write about that I write from personal experience and knowledge, which is much better than simply parroting back what others have already said.

I seldom make any money from those articles.

Even though they are often very unique and are taking about this from a different approach than most, this articles usually don't make much money?  Why?  Who reads that sort of article?

It is other people trying to make money, of course.  Do they usually click on ads? No,   And if they were interested in an ad, what do you think the chances are that they haven't already seen that ad at another on line money advice site?

So - unless you have a unique product or service  to promote with those posts, I strongly suggest writing about something else.

I hope you find this helpful and are not offended.

1. Pcunix profile image92
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oops, I apologize for the bad typing above.  In a hurry and banging it out on my iPad...

1. profile image0
        Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You could edit the post.

Thanks - I did not notice the "More" button with the edit choice.

1. profile image0

Ah, so you are viewing in Threaded view. If using Chronological view, there is an edit button readily visible.

1. sunforged profile image71
              sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hes on an iPad - maybe diff view altogether

1. profile image0

That's what I am beginning to suspect, thanks.

1. relache profile image72

The forum appear the same on an iPad and on a desktop or laptop.

1. profile image0

I have different browsers showing the forum differently. Some only provide the threaded view.

2. Pcunix profile image92

Threaded view, but other than that, it's the same on the iPad as it is on my Mac.  I have only been here a bit over a week; just didn't notice that I could edit after posting.  I appreciate that you pointed that out!

1. profile image0

You are welcome.

I have hundreds of articles online. I've been doing this for three years. And no, the majority are not about making money online. I've done quite well at other article writing sites. It just seems that I started seeing money coming in a lot qicker on other sites, like Ehow.

1. sunforged profile image71
        sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

sites like eHow were paying you for impressions - here you have the potential and the burden of converting your own visitors.

Play w/ your layouts and monetization methods - and be sure your traffic is targeted search traffic.

I agree with Misha - Hp is not that different from most, if you  can make it elsewhere you can make it here

It's the opposite of New York, then :-)

2. Pcunix profile image92

OK.  Fair enough.  Perhaps my comments will help someone else.

7. Christene profile image60
    Christeneposted 13 years ago

Not that I'm raking in the money here either...
    but it looks like you need to focus on getting more visitors. It might not help with sales, but it will with AdSense.

I just noticed your traffic accolade stamp thing is still 1,000. I've been here for 5 months, with 9 hubs and passed the 10,000 mark. I just started seeing a boost to my Amazon and AdSense earnings within the past month.

8. theirishobserver. profile image61
    theirishobserver.posted 13 years ago

I think you should follow some of Misha's hubs - he has some real good advice on his hubs - smile

I just might...if he starts to be a bit nicer to me:)

9. englightenedsoul profile image58
    englightenedsoulposted 13 years ago

Princess g be patient and don't quit.  Also I have just published a hub on how I earned $100 in my first six months at hubpages.  You might find that useful!!!

1. profile image0

Hi enlightened.. havent seen you around.  I tried to honor you in one of my hubs and your username no longer existed.  What happened?

1. englightenedsoul profile image58
        englightenedsoulposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well I had met with an accident and was discharged day before yesterday.  And may be there might be some glitch with hubpages as I would never quit.  Anyways how are you...Missed ya...I still have some work pending from the 60 day challenge would need to do it asap.

1. profile image0

OMG... an accident!  How awful!  Missed you too mate!

I doubt I will quit, I'm relatively stubborn. I've put in too much work to let it go. I just need to figure out how to do it better.

I suspect you are probably doing fine,  I went back and looked at more of your stuff; you have decent subjects, nothing wrong with your writing..  The stuff just needs to season a little.

2. profile image0
        kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

princess I can say I am thrilled about that because you are one of the ones I have truly learnt from and look up to

big_smile

10. eltravose profile image60
    eltravoseposted 13 years ago

Don't look at your earnings for a while, and just blog and make niche sites.

11. englightenedsoul profile image58
    englightenedsoulposted 13 years ago

@Shaz

Congratulations Shaz, your hub "How to SEO" was featured on the front page.  I read it and I must say you would surely be a powerful internet marketer soon.  I also liked the fact that your hub kicked off a nice constructive debate.  I would comment on your hub tomm (as I have a few question, curious mind just like you) as it is 12:40 here and I have fractured my right hand which is my dominant hand and I just written a 1200 word hub so totally tired.

1. profile image0

Wow... was it... featured?  I wish I had a pic of that!  I had no idea!  I think it is good to debate - it is all about learning, dont you think?

Awww... sorry to hear about your hand!  Hope you get better soon x

1. englightenedsoul profile image58
        englightenedsoulposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yep it was featured and let me see if I can get a snap for you by logging out.  And I love debates, they are a wonderful learning experience.
        And thanks for wishing me a speedy recovery!!!

12. Internetwriter62 profile image79
    Internetwriter62posted 13 years ago

Making money on Adsense for most is a slow process. I know there are those who have 8000 page views per day and have made $7,000 plus in less than a year, but what you must bear in mind is that those are more the exception than the rule. Don't get discouraged, you will see an improvement in your earnings, just keep writing, don't give up.

Most definitely true,  I have a site that sees 7-10 thousand pageviews a day and typically earns less than $30 a day.

Now, most of that comes from far fewer views of a small number of pages, but it does show that Adsense is a fickle beast.

13. raisingme profile image77
    raisingmeposted 13 years ago

Money is not a goal it is only one outcome, of providing a product or a service that is needed and wanted by others.  If money is your motivation then you are most likely without a vision of what it is you want to produce or provide to others.  If I put out a question such as How can I make more money?  The litany of answers to that question would range anywhere from drug dealing to business tycoon, prostitute to real estate mogul and everything in between.  It would create a multitude of visions the majority of which I wouldn't have a hope of carrying through to a completion on.  If I ask myself what to people really need or what do people really really want, I get far different answers and I look for needs and wants that I can facilitate others in their fulfillment of those needs and wants.  What do I really, really want to contribute?  You will feel motivated if your goal is to provide something of value, you won't feel motivated if all your attention is tied up in the by product of working towards and achieving that goal. Find out what does motivate you, what truly motivates you - it won't be money!

The people on these hubpages that share their knowledge about how to make money on line, etc. are sharing knowledge - it is the knowledge that is valuable because the more knowledge one has, the more they apply it in life, the more power they have.  Their goal is to share their knowledge and money is nothing other than a by-product of them having done so.  End of lecture!

14. M.s Fowler profile image42
    M.s Fowlerposted 13 years ago

Help do you make money when you first start should I give up and leave or just write hood arfticles cause my proper ones arent getting any attention

1. relache profile image72

You've only been on the site for 22 hours.  Be realistic about "getting attention.".

Also, it's clear from the fact that you've put all your text into multiple comment capsules that you haven't even figured out how the site or Hubs work.

Go read all of this, http://learningcenter.hubpages.com/

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You also won't make much money from a hub that has been published elsewhere before.

15. Research Analyst profile image73
    Research Analystposted 13 years ago

Maybe if you write about evergreen topics, it will work better for you. Nellie Hoxie makes her hubs about actual products that people want to buy online. Have you tried writing about stuff like that? because the "make money online" niche is too competitive to rank for.

16. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

You have had a lot of great answers!

And those that answered kind of reflect their own winning strategies - there are of course many that work.

If you have a bunch of hubs or articles and your not getting traffic then your keyword research stinks

If you have a bunch of articles and your getting a little traffic but not as much as you should - then your promotion game needs an up

Some people write in very very small niches and dont have to worry much about backlinks or promotion as they are the only cart in town.

Once you have traffic and your not making money - then your keyword research stinks or your conception of what could be profitable - You may rank for "how to change a light bulb" but obviously that searcher probably doesnt require any info on where to buy new lightbulbs (although, they may be interested in your other article on "how do zippers work" )or on amore serious note that article may generate tons of traffic and you can link it out to an article on "Why energy saving light bulbs can save you money" that article may make cents.

If your in a reasonably profitable term/niche and your not making loot - then your layout or writing style may be at fault

If adsense is your goal then this may help
    Why dont I make money with adsense

If your aiming for sales via ebay/amazon then your approach should be completely different

You could get some overflow into your adsense on an ebay/amazon focused hub but its not likely to work the other way

17. Dolores Monet profile image93
    Dolores Monetposted 13 years ago

I found myself making some money when I created similar hubs and linked them; got myself some outside links coming in; attempted to write hubs that would be of interest to people who may want to click ads and buy stuff.

18. Cheeky Girl profile image66
    Cheeky Girlposted 13 years ago

I agree with Dolores, concentrate on the hubs and them having relevant content, by all means. But people love a nice spread of interesting subjects and seeing this - they will re-visit you often. Having a blog or website somewhere with links that point back to your hubs and profile here will help get you fresh traffic from outside the Hub pages regulars. When I started off on Hubs, I made a point of reading other people's hubs and becoming fans, and many reciprocated. Also, some Hub Karma would do you good, as that will bring up your rating a bit too. Your hubs are very good. Don't lose the will to write hubs, we all have to keep it up to get the rating up and people interested in our hubs. Be different, if you like. Pick subjects that others would not write about. Best of luck.

19. sunbrite profile image59
    sunbriteposted 13 years ago

There is a lot of great advice on here. Thanks!! I suspected it would take time to make money. Patience is important and also enjoying the journey while you fill yourself with knowledge.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I must admit that I have not made a cent yet.  I am starting to think I should put my time into my online indeavours that do reliably make money.

20. thisisoli profile image73
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

Keep at it and you will start to earn, I would however suggest finding more niche topics, a lot of your work is in high competition areas, which means you will be competing with thousands of other marketers, when you want to be competing with only a hanndful.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)