Can you have too many comments?

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (44 posts)
  1. Dolores Monet profile image94
    Dolores Monetposted 14 years ago

Will having too many comments posted on a hub be a cause for concern? Could too many comments make a hub less google worthy? I have one hub with over 200 and that seems excessive.

1. profile image0
      L. Andrew Marrposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't know. I'm not loved enough tonguesmile

2. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

I've wondered about that, too!

3. wyanjen profile image70
    wyanjenposted 14 years ago

If you edit the comments capsule, you can set it to display a limited number.

If you set the initial display to 10 comments, the rest of them will not be deleted. Just hidden. There is an option then for readers to see the rest of them if they want to.

I'm not sure if this has an effect with google. Since they are not displayed, does google scan them?

1. Beth100 profile image69
      Beth100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I didn't know that!!!  Thanks Wyanjen!  I don't have a problem with 200 yet (maybe in the future...hoping!) but it's good to know. 

I appreciate all feedback that I receive, respond to each and delete the negative, non-related comments.  The power that the "delete" button holds!!!  smile

4. Dolores Monet profile image94

I have no idea. I've been here for a year and amaze myself at how little I know.

5. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I don't get enough comments on my hubs to worry about it...sorry can't help smile

1. Mamelody profile image60
      Mamelodyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That makes the two of us tongue

2. drej2522 profile image69
      drej2522posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think it is definitely a good problem to hsve! smile

3. goldenpath profile image67
      goldenpathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Halelujah, sister!  At least I'm not the only one....  sad

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 14 years agoin reply to this

me three.  i don't get that many comments either.  that's why im always happy when i get them.  smile

4. Jane@CM profile image60
      Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm in the same boat at Crazd, but the comments I do get are very nice.

6. thisisoli profile image68
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

I have has a couple of hubs which seem to have created a lot of rather spam like comments.  The are kind of relevant, but I have often considered removing the majority of them to keep things tidy.

7. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

From what I've come to learn. Every new comment to a Hub, give the scanners of GOOGLE to pick up on something fresher than the last time it checked the hub.

This proves to GOOGLE the hub is actively getting traffic, because things about the hub keeps changing. This helps in indexing.

Changing of keywords, adding or subtracting other components, can be helpful.

Can you have too many comments? I think so. I appreciate the comments I get, but the ones that are extremely old, like at least 3-6 months old or older, could be a disadvantage. Not sure. Besides, if there are TOO MANY comments, it makes the hub itself extremely long and makes it very difficult to obtain newer comments.

Hope that was helpful. smile

1. wyanjen profile image70
      wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Don't let the hub get too long...
      Just set the comments capsule to limit how many it displays. smile

8. thisisoli profile image68

Yeah Cagsil is right, there is definately a benefit in that respect!

9. Ann Nonymous profile image61
    Ann Nonymousposted 14 years ago

From someome who still has hubs without comments I can't imagine what you are going through! I almost envy you!

1. thisisoli profile image68
      thisisoliposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Don't worry, with a bit of persistance you will all get there!

1. Ann Nonymous profile image61
        Ann Nonymousposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Aww, thanks so much for the encouragement! With people like you on the hub everything on the hub is possible, huh? Thanks again! Now I better get to work......

2. Dolores Monet profile image94
      Dolores Monetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's really only the one. And lots of the comments are like - wow, nice hub. and when i was hungry for comments, put them in, plus, I didn't want to be mean.

10. SandyMcCollum profile image63
    SandyMcCollumposted 14 years ago

Just mho, but I've read hubs and then when I went to comment on it there was such a long line of comments that it made me feel that my comment won't be noticed and that there wasn't anything I could add to it, they'd said it all. So I'm in favor of limiting them to a number that doesn't overwhelm the reader. Like, 10.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've had the same reaction!  I don't have many Hubs with high comments, so I don't have the problem - but I never approve comments that say "good Hub" or "thanks".  And I don't reply to comments unless I have something meaningful to say, for the same reason.

11. thisisoli profile image68

I might have to start doing that, for the record though, I always read the comments and fanmail that I receive!

12. wyanjen profile image70

Me too - I read and respond to all comments.

I get it about the long line making you feel like a tag-along. I usually don't comment if I have to scroll a couple pages.
    It's more of a patience thing with me smile
    No, I don't have enough of it smile

13. sunforged profile image72
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

My opinion is no, as mentioned, each new content is "new content"which gives you the positive impression of updating and fresh ..both very positive to google.

People actually reading and scanning that content contributes to your page view time and the comments add to your word count...all factors which are plusses to search engines.

"Spammy comments" are ok..as long as they are not partnered with spammy links...kill the links as mcuh as possible. (including ones that may be snuck into the username w/ non registered commenters) ...if your a stickler about keyword density ...lots of irrelevant comments, ie chit chat , could negatively effect that ranking factor and/or make your work look less authoriattive to a non -hub viewer

as for the readers who compalin about scrolling past lots of comments, try using the "page down"or ënd" buttons on your keyboard!

14. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 14 years ago

well, i can't speak for everyone here, but i love getting comments on hubs to be honest, as I enjoy reading and responding them. smile

15. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

you can never have too many comments on your hubs. unless they are spam or mean ones, that is.

1. profile image0

yeah, but sometimes mean ones can be beneficial as long they're criticism on how you can improve.  like when i wrote a film review for "50 first dates", a guy left a rather very unflattering comment to me, which in turn forced me to reevaluate my own critique style, to get better.  Heck, I even started to read more of Roger Ebert and Peter Travers critical work, for more inspiration so I could review a film like they do.  Therefore, a bad comment can sometimes be beneficial if you look at it as constructive criticism to improve. 

however, if the comment that's something that NOTHING to with the hub and just says something like, "your an idiot or.....blah blah blah."  then i'd just delete it.

1. profile image0
        cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yeah...one time this woman wrote:

"f--k off b--ch" on two of my hubs. those were the kinds of comments i was referring to. ah, fun..... big_smile

1. profile image0

oh sorry.  i get what your saying now.  i do agree with you.  i think comments like those should not be tolerated on hubpages.  im sorry to hear that happened to you.

2. rebekahELLE profile image86
        rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

that is a great example of how you can take criticism constructively and be a better writer! good for you.

16. Dolores Monet profile image94

cosette, I think if the people who leave such awful stuff don't see them displayed, they'll go play nasty somewhere else.

thank you all for the great info - on the idea that you are refreshing the hub for google. I really appreciate getting comments, it's just nice. And I like to leave comments. We all like a bit of encouragement.

17. wyanjen profile image70

You can go back and deny some of the older ones, if they just say "good hub" or something and you don't need/want them anymore.
    smile

18. CarpetDiem profile image72
    CarpetDiemposted 14 years ago

I'd love to have your problem. smile
    If they are good and add CONTENT, I'd say the more the merrier. Google loves content, and the more diverse it is, the more searcher will probably find you.
    But if the comments are fluffy one-liners like "nice hub" or "thanks", I'd remove them.

19. bigmikeh profile image67
    bigmikehposted 14 years ago

I remember reading somewhere that an established blogger (outside HubPages) couldn't work out why he lost his first page ranking for a keyword. He thought it might be excessive comments and deleted most of them, and got his first page back. It may have been coincidence, but there is a possibility that too many comments could dilute the original text to where the Google ranking suffers.

1. CarpetDiem profile image72
      CarpetDiemposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hi big mike,
      I wish you could find a link to that.
      It seems like more (quality) content would help, not dilute... but I think we agree it depends on what is in the comments. smile
      I just hope someday I have to worry about this. smile

2. rebekahELLE profile image86
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

that is interesting. it makes sense. I think too many comments can take away from the hub content itself, although there are certainly times when the comments add richness to the content.

but I do agree, too many and the hub page can lose its originality. Ive seen some amazing hub content with only one or two comments. I think they get lost, there are so many great hubs on this site.

3. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is why there's sometimes friction between the "commercial" Hubbers and the "social" Hubbers.

Social Hubbers are more likely to leave "great Hub" type comments and expect the Hub owner to respond with an equally meaningless "thanks" comment.  Commercial Hubbers are more likely to delete the comment and not respond at all, to avoid deleting their Hub content as described above.

20. mel22 profile image60
    mel22posted 14 years ago

I think too many comments make the page look bad but heres a link to a post I made which would be be a way of mimizing the look of too many comments while still allowing 'fresh' new comments 2 be seen in the eyes of google like Cags was saying!

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/33104#post724527

21. molson5070 profile image60
    molson5070posted 13 years ago

Google will reward you for having many comments as the page looks fresh BUT make sure your keyword density is not being watered down by the extra comments. Remember a keyword density under 2% is not good as google will not view your site as relevant

22. johnshade profile image60
    johnshadeposted 13 years ago

well comments do help because a comments are indexed as well e.g. someone types into a search engine what someone says in a comment or similar it will bring traffic to your Hub.
    I have landed on pages in the past due to comments being related to my search term

23. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

I have had to cut off comments on some posts at my main site because they were just repetitions of things that had already been said several times already.   

It can be really annoying when someone scans a post and immediately jumps down to post their two cents without reading a single other comment.  That's especially true when whatever they have to say has been said several times.

I had to start moderating all comments there sometime back because of that.  I hope I don't have to do that here, but I suppose eventually I might have to.

24. freecampingaussie profile image61
    freecampingaussieposted 13 years ago

I havent had that problem, with all my hubs I am up to 3 comments ! So maybe I am doing something wrong ?

25. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

if I read a hub that has a zillion comments, I generally skip the comments or read a few, and then post my comment. I've seen hubs that have commentaries for each comment, I simply don't want to use my time reading all of those comments if I'm taking some time to read hubs.

I do moderate all of my comments, most of them I accept, a few I haven't.

you've only been here a short time. welcome! sometimes it takes a while for people to find you. it helps to post comments on other people's hubs if you find some you really enjoyed reading.
    some hubs don't get many comments, that's o.k. too!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)