Should a bride sell her wedding dress?

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (39 posts)
  1. profile image0
    sarahsherlockposted 13 years ago

Hi, I got married a few weeks ago and have just heard that my dress is ready to be collected from the dry cleaners. It's a beautiful dress that I loved wearing but I am now daunted by the prospect of having to store it. It's so lovely that it seems a shame to keep it in a box under the bed. Some of my relatives have suggested selling it. It was expensive and I would be glad to see the money back but will I regret selling something with such sentimental value? What would you do?

1. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you don't feel the need to keep it I see no problem with selling it.  If anyone questions your choice just say "I am not intended to ever need to wear it again."

1. flounderingsahm profile image38
        flounderingsahmposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is definitely a personal decision.  What you could do is get something made out of it for the future.  For instance, Christening outfits for your children -or other religious outfits.  These are much easier to store and can become heirlooms as well.

2. mailxpress profile image52
        mailxpressposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi,
        First congratulation on getting married.  OK, just sharing my feelings here.  You have pictures and probably video tapes of your special day.  If you have plans to wear it again, great.  If not, why not get half the money you spent on it back and make someone who is going to be married who does not have a lot buy it.  You would be doing a wonderful thing for someone who probably can't afford to spend thousands on a wedding gown.  You are blessed to buy and wear such a  beautiful gown, why not help someone in need?

3. profile image0
        DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Do you plan to have children? I kept mine, just in case on of my daughters wanted it. I see no reason to keep it if you have no real reason to though. A wedding is wonderful, but its the marriage that matters.

4. yenajeon profile image70
        yenajeonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would give it time (few months)so you know you won't regret your choice. Several thousand dollars might sound great now, but later on you might realize the dress meant more.

5. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

do whatever you want. it's your dress and is beautiful and holds special sentiment. I kept mine, in fact, I still have it in my closet. I've tried it on at different times..

but I do plan to donate it since I have sons.

Best wishes on your marriage!!

6. Lolla Rogerson profile image59
        Lolla Rogersonposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. Mahmoud Elraiq profile image60
          Mahmoud Elraiqposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

7. Rochelle Frank profile image91
        Rochelle Frankposted 13 years ago

Mine is in a box under the bed.
        I couldn't sell it; my Mom made it.  My mom also made my niece's wedding gown-- and my niece's daughter wore it at her wedding too, so at least that one got a second life.
        Are there younger girls in your family that might be interested?-- maybe there will be someday.

8. luvpassion profile image63
        luvpassionposted 13 years ago

A wedding dress can be a precious heirloom. I've saved mine because it was saved for me. If you haven't started this heritage, and if it's affordable, consider it.

1. profile image0
          sarahsherlockposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is a nice idea. No girls in my family at the moment though. What did your family do to preserve it over time?

9. Polly C profile image90
        Polly Cposted 13 years ago

A friend of mine got married on 29 May and she already has her dress up for sale. I think it depends on how you feel about it - you have said that you will regret it, so that might be your answer? Since your wedding was so recent, you could keep it for now and see how you feel about it in the future? My friend didn't pay as much for hers as it was already second hand.

1. profile image0
          sarahsherlockposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think I will keep it for now but like Kathryn LJ I'm worried that it will
          deteriorate over time so it may be best for somebody else to enjoy it. That's what happened to my mum's dress, although she will have been married three times come December so I guess she has a few to choose from! smile

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
            Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why don't you research ways to preserve wedding dresses-- and other articles of clothing and make a hub out of it?

1. Shadesbreath profile image79
              Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Rochelle, how are you ever going to become a true greedy capitalist if you keep giving good, kind advice to people?

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
                Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I thought about doing it myself-- but too busy (or lazy) to do it right now. It might be better coming from someone who might really want to do it.

Seems like someone at the museum went to a class that taught about ways to conserve old clothing, so I know there are ways.

1. profile image0

any dry cleaner (in USA) will do it for  a price. http://www.ehow.com/how_3971_preserve-w … dress.html

1. profile image0

I just said hat cuz Im from the USA. I guess other countries do it too, but since Im not from anywhere else, I cant say for sure. Gee that sounds stuid...nevermind...going to bed....

good luck with yoru dress decision

10. profile image0
        Kathryn LJposted 13 years ago

If unlike Rochelle, your dress was bought and doesn't have a 'connection' with your past life, I can't see why you shouldn't sell the dress on.  You've got so much to look forward to in your new life and a pretty dress in a box in the attic won't enhance that life.  My wedding dress was stored for years, to be taken out once in a blue moon.  After about 15 years, it started to deteriorate and I was devastated.  I ended up putting it on the bonfire and wishing I had parted with it whilst it still looked beautiful.  If you do decide to keep it, you will need to research how to preserve it for posterity as some fabrics (like those used for my dress)yellow with age and are too delicate to be folded for any length of time and therefore begin to breakdown.  It maybe that it will have to hang in your closet in a sealed bag.  However, congratulations newly wed, I hope that this is your only dilemma for years to come!

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
          Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My feelings exactly.   

I can see the point of keeping a dress if you think a family member (or future daughter) might wear it some day, but fashions change so fast nowadays, even in wedding gowns, that I can't imagine anyone wanting to wear an old dress in 20 years' time, can you?  Most brides today want the latest look.

If it's important to you, keep it, but there's no "should" about whether you keep it or not. It's how you feel.

11. Shadesbreath profile image79
        Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

Find a way to make it into lingerie and you can recreate the honeymoon every once in a while.  big_smile

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
          Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's a wonderful idea.  What's the point of storing something precious away where you'll never be able to enjoy it again?

12. TheWicklessCandle profile image59
        TheWicklessCandleposted 13 years ago

I would think about the prospect of handing it down. Doing that it is more special and can be kept for a purpose.

13. alternate poet profile image68
        alternate poetposted 13 years ago

Congratulations on your wedding and I hope you have a long and happy marriage - but, like all the unimportant trivia of life that has had its day - dump the dress but keep the feeling that was once in it for a few moments.

14. Glimmer515 profile image61
        Glimmer515posted 13 years ago

Thats why I have always said I am renting my dress because their is no point in paying tons of money for something I am only wearing once. But I think selling is a great idea, No reason to let it sit and get moldy!

15. beauty@one profile image60
        beauty@oneposted 13 years ago

Hi, I got married 5 years ago and have been storing my dress but now that I have kids I need the extra space so I have decided to sell my dress, after all I'm not going to wear it again and by the time my daughter gets married it may be out of fashion.

At the end of the day I will be helping someone who may not be able to spend alot of money on a dress and think every bride deserves to look beautiful and feel special on their wedding day and if you dont tell anyone nobody will know if it is brand new or not.

16. KoffeeKlatch Gals profile image76
        KoffeeKlatch Galsposted 13 years ago

I saved my wedding dress so that one or all of them could wera it at their own weddings, if they wished to.  Only one of my daughters ended up in the correct size area and she wished to use the dress.  After her wedding she had a friend that was trying to put together a wedding of her own on a very limited budget.  They took my dress, made a few changes to make it look like her style and she made a beautiful bride.  I had thought about selling my dress in the beginning, now I am glad I didn't.  It gave pleasure to people I cared about and I was there to see it happen.

17. Chaotic Chica profile image61
        Chaotic Chicaposted 13 years ago

I was very pregnant with my first child when I got married the first time. I still have that dress but mostly because it wasn't really a wedding dress and, even though I hope I'm not that big when the time comes, it might make for a good mother of the bride/groom one day.  As for my second marriage, I rented a beautiful gown I couldn't otherwise afford and loved every minute of it. 
        It all comes down to your personality and your sensibilities.  I figured my girls would want their own dress as they already have a different sense of fashion than I do.  Then again, I'm also a big fan of consignments.

18. Maddie Ruud profile image73
        Maddie Ruudposted 13 years ago

The most eco-friendly thing to do is resell it.  A friend of mine runs an organization advocating sustainable fashion, and as she's constantly reminding everyone, used clothing is the most sustainable sort.

19. Chatkath profile image72
        Chatkathposted 13 years ago

This is a very personal choice, and there is obviously no right or wrong response. However.....from a traditional standpoint, a wedding ceremony and all that is associated with this hopefully special, one-time affair,(no pun intended) should be carefully packed away and preserved, perhaps for a daughter, niece, friend, etc., providing a mothball-scented memory for generations to come.
        Taking this route also builds a great case for the green, waste-not movement, assuming that the dress is classic in style and has been stored with the utmost care. It creates a special sentimental kind of recycling: And the Bride wore Green? 
        My Nana saved everything from her wedding, dress, slip, veil, shoes, even her monogrammed hankie and dried bouquet which was remarkabley well preserved. I remember my sister and I spending hours digging in her cedar chest marveling at the slightly yellowed lace insets and the 1930's fab fashion details of this wedding gown! Her numerous photos could not possibly do this marital masterpiece justice!
        There is nothing like visiting a moment in time, filling in the blanks, if only in your imagination. Although to date, no one has worn Nana's dress, we will probably hang on to it for now - you just never know who might need to visit an era gone by.

20. breakingnews profile image39
        breakingnewsposted 13 years ago

Here in Asian Countries, Like Pakistan and India etc... brides always love their bridal dress so not sale and give to any one.

21. Pearldiver profile image68
        Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

Keep the Dress - Sell the Hubby
        That way you can reuse the dress again and again, depending on the number of Hubbys you can flick on E-Bay.  Good Luck. smile

Many Women can maintain an emotional connection with their wedding dress for their entire lifetime. Trying to do the same with a hubby over the same period is not often as successful. hmm

Of Course.... Wedding Dresses are less likely to Run Off yikes big_smile

22. jackeywang profile image55
        jackeywangposted 13 years ago

You should keep it.wedding dress is unique.i am a wedding dress's salesman.my customers buy them to keep it.So I suuggest you keep it

23. tobey100 profile image60
        tobey100posted 13 years ago

Speaking as a former groom, yes.  We can use the money

24. meah2006 profile image37
        meah2006posted 13 years ago

if i was asked that question, the answer would be no, because its mine and i spent the begginning of a new life with it, to me it means the world and no price could by

25. varshahooda profile image54
        varshahoodaposted 13 years ago

congrats.. look it depends on you what you want to do with your dress i welcome your question according to me your wedding dress is one thing which make you realize memories of your wedding date. Again it also depends on emotional factor may be you are thinking practically which is not wrong at all. Why don't you help any poor girl as every girl want to wear best dress on her wedding and you have that chance to make her dream true.

26. Purple Perl profile image48
        Purple Perlposted 13 years ago

Any decision yet on the wedding gown in question?
        I know of a few friends of mine who left their gowns in a box somewhere only to discover later that they could never fit into it ever, or that it was becoming stale yellow with age. Another saved it for her daughter, who refused to wear it. She wanted a new designer piece.
        I wore a white silk saree embellished with gold brocade as per Indian tradition for my Christian wedding and wore it a couple more times for a cousin's wedding and my daughter's christening. Then, it showed signs of aging-stale yellow. I still have it but never wear it.

27. profile image0
        klarawieckposted 13 years ago

I recommend that you don't become one of those moms that expects her daughter and granddaughter to wear your dress on their wedding day. Sell it now that it's still new! Use the money to go on a second honey-moon with your hubbie. That's all we take with us when we leave this planet - our good-times. Have fun, enjoy your marriage!

28. profile image52
        lady2011posted 13 years ago

don't sell it.

29. Flightkeeper profile image66
        Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

Put it up on Ebay! You've already got pictures and movies of yourself in it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
        Necessary
        HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
        LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
        Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
        AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
        HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
        HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
        Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
        CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
        Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
        Features
        Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
        Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
        Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
        Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
        Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
        VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
        PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
        Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
        MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
        Marketing
        Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
        Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
        Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
        Statistics
        Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
        ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
        Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
        ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)