If you knew you only had a year to live, what would you do?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (25 posts)
  1. Violet Flame profile image65
    Violet Flameposted 13 years ago

Let's say you were tipped off from "higher authorities" that you've only got a year of earthly life left. You are fit and healthy but unfortunately, time is running out. What would you choose to accomplish in this precious time remaining after taken care of all personal affairs? All your resources remain the same as your present day, so make it as real as possible.

1. profile image0
      boppsterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would sell my house and buy a nice RV and travel to all the places I'd like to see in the US.

2. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't underestimate the power of prayer to THE "Higher Power"....

So, like Hezekiah, I would turn my face to the wall and cry;  and ask my God for another 15 years.

Whatever comes after that depends on His answer.....

2. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

I would find the courage to end my life immediately.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Goodness, why, Cagsil?

2. alternate poet profile image67
      alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is cowardice not courage.

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am answering yours before answering Marissa for a reason. I find your words to be foolish. Cowardice?

How is it cowardice? It takes an over abundance of courage to take one's own life.

A coward wouldn't be able to take their own life. I think you're confused.

@Marissa, there would be no since in living the remain days. The mental torture is not worth the time or energy. It's best, that when I received the news that I would most certainly die and heard it from a "higher authority"(meaning someone spoke it in my head and it wasn't me), then by all means, I would then probably find it more invigorating to meet the person/entity or whatever spoke in my head, so living would mean nothing, so end it.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
          Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Actually that's a good answer.  Because if you did receive word from a "higher authority", that would be proof there was such a Being, so you might as well get to Heaven as soon as possible.

And, what would make you think I would go to heaven? lol lol

3. joaniemb profile image61
    joaniembposted 13 years ago

Spend quality time with my family. Make a video for my 5 wonderful grandkids so they would know how much I love them and remember me in years to come.

4. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

...same response to if i had 1 month to live...

5. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 13 years ago

Sell all of my material items.  Find the most beautiful, peaceful place on earth (to me), and live there.  But, only if my family came with me, and I am sure they would.  smile

6. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

take out a HUGE loan... with a due date of 13 months

1. mrpopo profile image73
      mrpopoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lollollol

7. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

i'd finish writing my book.  then, take a vacation with my kids. smile

8. itech profile image64
    itechposted 13 years ago

I was in such condition from last few years and still living normally with lots of courage to do something big..... Don't be fooled by others, make fool yourself..... Becoz "ALL IS Well"

I've also created a simple page for this : "All Is Well" wink,

9. ceciliabeltran profile image66
    ceciliabeltranposted 13 years ago

do exactly the same thing but with less hesitation.

10. Violet Flame profile image65
    Violet Flameposted 13 years ago

Sometimes I really like to chew through this hypothetical scenario "what if I only had a year to live", it helps me putting things in perspective ie. what's important and what's not. I think it is the height of arrogance or ignorance to carry on everyday like it will last forever and squander the best part of my life NOT doing anything that MATTERS.

Recently I have come down with this sense of "Urgency" to birth forth my potential when I still have time, when it is still not too late. I don't want to die with all my potential unborn, unspent, unmanifested. I don't understand this great sense of urgency but it really kicks start the action!

I refuses to live a life "just to survive", do a job to just so I could have food on the table and roof over my head. I quit my job as an international airline flight attendant to become a therapeutic massage therapist because it makes me happy to help people feel better. At my spare time I write and paint, paint and paint.

If I only had a year to live, I want to paint and bring out the magical worlds inside my imagination, depict the amazing spectrum of inspiration to the best of my ability. I want to make them available to the world audience, to help inspire a richer inner and outer world of creativity and co-creation.

Living is not mere surviving.
    If I were a fire cracker, I don't want to last forever just to exist indefinitely.
    I want to be ignited.

then death will be a happy ending,
    a "mission complete!"

don't you think?

11. donotfear profile image84
    donotfearposted 13 years ago

How do I know I've even got a year anyway? 

We don't know.

Tomorrow isn't guaranteed for anyone. A lot of unknown can possibly happen. Then again, there also is a possibility tomorrow comes without any issue whatsoever.

1. donotfear profile image84
        donotfearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yep....so I try to make every day count. But on the negative days when I spew doo-doo from my heart, I always pay dearly for it.  But really, if I knew the clock was ticking I think I'd get on the ball even more.  I'd definitley write my memoirs.

12. mymagicview profile image63
    mymagicviewposted 13 years ago

I would publish my literature, as soon as possible, for leaving my footprints in this world. And then I would try to enjoy each and every moment of my life.

13. Rochelle Frank profile image92
    Rochelle Frankposted 13 years ago

You never know how much time you have.
    Do what you really think you should be doing now.
    Spend time with those you love now.
    Enjoy life now.
    Make a difference for good right now.
    Do something kind that no one else knows about.
    Appreciate something.
    Stop playing stupid video games.
    Write now.
    Right now.

14. profile image0
    ralwusposted 13 years ago

I would not change a thing. I have been under that sword for some time now and just don't worry about it anymore.

15. MissE profile image78
    MissEposted 13 years ago

I would climb a mountain.  Why?  Because they scare the heck out of me.  I would climb one to say, "There I did it, and I'm still alive." Then, if I fell off and died(which is my reason of mountain phobia) I was gonna die anyway...right?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)