Why do most Hubbers write under different usernames?

Jump to Last Post 1-39 of 39 discussions (72 posts)
  1. lisabeaman profile image68
    lisabeamanposted 13 years ago

It didn't even occur to me to use a different name when signing up with HubPages. But once I was in and looked around, I realized that that was the norm. I'm just wondering why that is...

1. leeberttea profile image58
      leebertteaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm wanted in 15 states so I'm keeping a low profile.

lisabeamanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

smile Good idea then!

2. starqueen13 profile image60
        starqueen13posted 13 years agoin reply to this

haha sounds fun!

3. johnnysommona profile image39
        johnnysommonaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Only 15?  Lightweight.

4. starme77 profile image76
        starme77posted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol lol Me too smile

2. warchild75 profile image64
      warchild75posted 13 years agoin reply to this

i have the username warchild to write the bulk of my hubs as this has been my alterego for many years,and then i go by a different name when writing my sales hubs!!

3. starqueen13 profile image60
      starqueen13posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ive had the username 'starqueen13' since i was 13, because i was obsessed with stars, also because i have a story about the stars smile just a fun little thing....and my parents didn't want people to know my real name back then haha

2. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

stick around a while and it will become evident...

That sounds a little ominous!

3. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

I just have this username.

For some people a second account is a 'sock puppet' for saying things they dont want attributed to their name, or a way to get back in after being banned. For otehrs it is a way of seperating one Hub niche from another.

1. Joy56 profile image67
      Joy56posted 13 years agoin reply to this

i just have this username now, but it is not my own.......

2. Ivorwen profile image66
      Ivorwenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I like the niche thing.  It is easier for me to focus when I put things under different profiles, like filing papers according to topic.

1. viryabo profile image93
        viryaboposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think i like the niche separation aspect as well.

Would one need to open new adsense and amazon accounts?

4. jondav profile image71
    jondavposted 13 years ago

Sometimes when you have been part of a large community for a while its nice to becom anon.  again

1. Joy56 profile image67
      Joy56posted 13 years agoin reply to this

amen

5. chigoiyke profile image59
    chigoiykeposted 13 years ago

More chances, more creativity, more money

6. SomewayOuttaHere profile image62
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

..it's the internet and I would like to protect my identity....

7. Dobson profile image75
    Dobsonposted 13 years ago

When first coming to any site you know very little about how things work. I have enough experience to know not to put my name out there until i get a feel for the environment. Also, I use this name on another writing site, so I hope to build name recognition.

1. bayoulady profile image68
      bayouladyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Same here. I don't want my real name out there, though through some sites I am on I have made enduring friendships.Two of my elementary teacher cyber pal friendships started in 1999, and we are still very close.

I just joined the hub, and I use the same name on several group accounts I have. (bayoulady) For anything to do with teaching, I am bayouteacher. .....Yeah, I am an old Louisiana bayou gal.....just sounded a little bit better to be bayoulady.

8. lisabeaman profile image68
    lisabeamanposted 13 years ago

Thanks for the answers. I guess I am a little naive and inexperienced. We'll see how this all pans out!

9. Jeff Berndt profile image73
    Jeff Berndtposted 13 years ago

Some folks use a pseudonym because if their writings were connected to their real selves, it might hurt their careers. They might not want their bosses (or prospective employers) to know their politics, for example.

Some folks use one because it makes them feel braver when arguing, and lets them be ruder than they might be if their words were connected to their real names.

And some folks use them to compartmentalize their writing, for example, using one name to write humor and another to write about politics.

I use my real name, 'cos I'm trying to build up a body of work online.

Thanks, Jeff! That helps a lot. I do think there is a lot more accountability when using one's own name. Maybe someday I'll actually publish something worth buying and then everyone can say... "Hey, I know her from HubPages!"

1. psycheskinner profile image84
        psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Also if I am charging 10c a word to one client I don't want them to know I also do writing for pennies as a hobby.  Pen names are a way to keep things separate.

I wouldn't have thought of that! That makes a lot of sense (and cents!)

2. profile image0
          ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think that it is more than realistic for a 500 word hubpage to earn $50+ in its lifetime.... I have a 9 month old hub with around 1000 words which has already earnt me over $1 per word...

1. thisisoli profile image70
            thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Agreed, I have plenty of Hubs which earn far more than I earn from writing for other people.  unfortunately I often need an instant cash injection!

2. Darlene Sabella profile image61
      Darlene Sabellaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, Jeff that is why I have always used my real name and over the years I have never had any problems, knock on wood, and I never write about anything that is not complete truth and factual, I enjoy sharing story's and life experiences, maybe cause I am old, I just don't worry about it.  Your can write to please others and have many followers or you can write to please yourself and roll the die...

10. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

If you look at the top rated hubbers (those who consistently score 100) almost all use their own names. But there are also quite a few "top" hubbers using pseudonyms, too.
    A lot depends on your goals for Hub Pages.
    Like Jeff said, the Internet is wide open. If you may be saying something that could boomerang on you personally or professionally, it's best to use another name.

I have a copywriting company. The types of topics I tend to cover on HP have NOTHING to do with my other writing. I don't want those clients reading my hubs about (for example) bipolar, recovery, or my anger/disgust at my sister-in-law who tried to steal the family trust and put my dear mother-in-law in a home!

But that's just me.... MM

1. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I write about my experiences that have stigma attached - I don't want potential employers looking me up and judging me.    I have opened another account to write about things I feel self-conscious about family etc reading (they are not very open-minded).   I am not an attention-seeking person and using a pen name gives me a degree of privacy when writing about sensitive and personal themes.  My real name can be found and I have used real photos on his profile, but not the other.

11. chinweike profile image58
    chinweikeposted 13 years ago

I enjoy being anno sometimes.

1. profile image0

I like it too - I would hate to be a celebrity where everything things they know me

12. gracenotes profile image89
    gracenotesposted 13 years ago

Like a lot of hubbers here, I want to separate my presence here from my presence in other places on the web, where I use my real name.

I like the idea of using a screen name that creates a certain connotation in the reader's mind.  Grace notes = musical term.  Grace = God's grace.  Notes = I love to write old-fashioned letters.

I like my real name just fine, and it is fine for other endeavors.

13. Slainia profile image60
    Slainiaposted 13 years ago

I use Slainia because A) I'm slightly paranoid about identity theft, and theres no one that would be able to help me if it happened, and B) I'm posting some stuff that would probably send my non-friendly family into fits if they read it.
    On the other hand, I use my birth name on the website. At least, my first name. It's also linked to facebook tho, so it wouldnt' be that hard to figure it out. I'm just slightly paranoid, tha'ts all. Or maybe insecure still.

14. MMMoney profile image61
    MMMoneyposted 13 years ago

if you give your real info chances of identity theft are more..

15. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

Sometimes when you've written so many, you just fancy taking on a different persona

16. MMMoney profile image61
    MMMoneyposted 13 years ago
  17. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

I can't speak for anyone else (well, I can, but they will complain) but I use "pcunix" because that's one of my domain names.  It stands for Personal Computer Unix, which is close enough to what I do to serve as a moniker.

However, I'm not hiding my real identity.  If you follow my profile to my main website, you will find my real name and can easily find my address and phone number if you want it.

Let us hope you'd want that for some reason that doesn't involve dogs and flaming paper bags.

1. profile image0

LOL

18. Rafini profile image83
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

I created my name to be unique and to create a new image for myself...although that hasn't worked very well...lol...(and Rafini is the name I want to use for writing, rather than my all-too-common name)

I'd say it's working! You seem very mysterious to me smile

1. michifus profile image58
        michifusposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think it gives more freedom when writing, as you are not under pressure from friends and family. I write because I enjoy it, and to make some money. Its great fun, and If I was to do it under my own name, I think the pressure would take away some of that enjoyment.

Anyway, I've been saying for ages that its about time that cat earned its keep, I thought Id give it the chance!

It has been very interesting to see what goes behind these names... Thanks for sharing!

2. Rafini profile image83
        Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol  nah, the 'new' image is the same as the 'old' one...lol...oh well, at least I'm still me. big_smile

19. aksana777 profile image60
    aksana777posted 13 years ago

some people don't want to make their names publicly, and I agree with michifus, that it gives more freedom when writing

20. Corte Dedo profile image58
    Corte Dedoposted 13 years ago

Why? It's creative!!!!

21. wyanjen profile image72
    wyanjenposted 13 years ago

There are dozens of Jen King's writing on-line.

I hate them all. I never get to use my real name. One of The Others has already taken it anywhere I go.
    So I use this name everywhere. I thought about being "Alpha-Jen" for awhile...

I see your point. I googled my own name after I posted the question. I never realized how many Lisa Beamans there were in the world. It took me three pages until I finally found something about me. Maybe I should come up w/ a cool pen name...

22. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 13 years ago

I wrote a children's book with my name on it-- and I want people to find my book, so I thought it would be good to use the same name here.
    (Who knows if it's my 'real' name?)
    Also there are several Rochelle Frank entries on the search engines... I am not a pediatric neurosurgeon, a ketubbah artist, the owner of a sporting goods store, or a white supremicist.

1. wyanjen profile image72
      wyanjenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And yet, you are supreme...

big_smile

1. starme77 profile image76

how about coffee bean ?

23. Nera Woods profile image82
    Nera Woodsposted 13 years ago

i don't want to use my real name to protect my family, friends and companies worked for. There are topics I write that could hurt them.

24. profile image51
    RELATUposted 13 years ago

People write under different names because they don't want to be harrassed by people that know them and may say something that doesn't make any sense very much similar to spam they send you a message but hide themselves behind some fake name. Of course if this was not the case many people would use their names I believe but in essence you don't want to be badgered just because someone may not like you and they would use anything such as spyware(which can easily be removed and the person spying can be criminally charged and should) to get at you since they are afraid to face you in person as an individual. But some of the most famous authors have chosen a pen name to write under. This is a very good question and does make some people uncomfortable but as for me an authors name may want to have a writing name for privacy.

1. profile image0

true - people can have very strong opinions.  There is that element to consider to - ie getting hate mail etc and personal attacks.   Lots of deranged people out there

25. The Shark profile image60
    The Sharkposted 13 years ago

As the Beatles said when recording and becoming Sgt Pepper's band for one album, you can say things under the psudeo name you might not have under your own name. My hubs have all been political and some have been printed in papers where my real name is used. But I just thought in an informal atmosphere like the hub it would fun to use a name that represents what my writings are about, hence The Shark. Because I am attempting to take a bite out of liberalism. In some small way trying to save what was important at one time----American values, American individualism, and being an American.
    The Shark

26. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Why Do Most Hubbers Write Under Different Usernames? Because they choose to do so. wink

27. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

Separating niche hubs with another account is what i prefer.

28. Bard of Ely profile image79
    Bard of Elyposted 13 years ago

In my case because I use Bard of Ely as my stage name and that includes my name on Internet sites. It helps create more publicity for me as a writer and musician and avoids confusion with all the other Steve Andrews out there in the world.

29. saddlerider1 profile image59
    saddlerider1posted 13 years ago

I only use my birthright given name for business sites. I have always been a desperado, rebel, wannabee cowboy for years. Love horses and if I could be reincarnated as The Duke..this pilgrim would be home on the range. So Saddlerider me be:0)

30. Research Analyst profile image73
    Research Analystposted 13 years ago

It makes it easier when a person is a freelance writer and they want to publish on different topics without causing a lot of attention to what they are doing.

31. H.C Porter profile image80
    H.C Porterposted 13 years ago

Stalking 
    (not from HP-but the other places I write which are local to my area)  so I now use HC Porter in order to limit the crazy people’s access to my personal life

32. profile image0
    ralwusposted 13 years ago

I think maybe I hang around in too many Post Offices.

33. lovebuglena profile image87
    lovebuglenaposted 13 years ago

I could have used my full name when signing up for a hubpages account, but since I am a writer and a creative individual I thought it would be fun to create another name for myself, sort of like a nickname I guess. So, I decided to name myself lovebuglena. I love this nickname and I use it on my writing site too. It's cool. And has many meanings.

Lena

34. brettb profile image60
    brettbposted 13 years ago

My other me has got quite successful here in a certain niche so I opened this account to explore other niches.

35. Me, Steve Walters profile image79
    Me, Steve Waltersposted 13 years ago

My other me goes by a "pen name" that I created long before Hubpages...and me...well I'm just plain ol' Me! My "pen name"  was contrived as a gimmick...a catchy saying to remember me by. Kind'a like Marketing 101...Hope it is still working!

36. Jim Hunter profile image59
    Jim Hunterposted 13 years ago

You can use a fake name?

Call me Billy, Billy Jack.

1. Me, Steve Walters profile image79
      Me, Steve Waltersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"I'm going to put this right foot in your left ear...and there ain't a d_mn thing your going to do about it!" Billy Jack

http://theselvedgeyard.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/floridi_billyja_1906409.jpg

1. starme77 profile image76

lol lol Nice one lol

37. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 13 years ago

There are far too many weirdoes on the internet to ever use your real identity.

38. brettb profile image60
    brettbposted 13 years ago

My real identity has been stolen and the other me is opening credit card accounts in my name.

Be careful people!

1. lorlie6 profile image71
      lorlie6posted 13 years agoin reply to this

You better get after it, brettb!  Disturbing, those doppelgangers.
      smile

39. theirishobserver. profile image60
    theirishobserver.posted 13 years ago

Lorlie - is correct - dont disclose personal information as that information can be used by scammers - the FBI have just issued such a warning to people - but some people never learn - identity fraud is a big time crime at the moment so please be careful - share stories about your life and pass times etc - but keep your personal information personal - smile Irish.....

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)