Annoying Textbroker Editors

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (35 posts)
  1. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

When I find myself with a bit of spare time I often write the occasional article on Textbroker.  it doesn't pay much, but $1 is a $1 and all that.

So I found myself quite annoyed when I received a notice from their editor today regarding the folowing

[to get your money's worth.]

The plural of money is monies, please use correct English when using textbroker.

now, would I be right in thinking that while the word money does have a plural, I am using it in the possesive sense?

1. NathanSyckel profile image59
      NathanSyckelposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not quite sure about the correct usage of the word, but in my experience textbroker's editors are only trying to help you increase your quality rating. They are usually very blunt like that, but don't take it personal. I remember getting one where I had accidentally used it's when it should have been its. The message said, please look up the definition of it's. It was annoying, but since then I've moved up to quality 4 and I've had a few rated 5 recently which would be great if I could make that classification. The jump from 4 to 5 is huge for earnings.

thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know they are only trying to help, but they incorrectly edit my articles more often than not.

They ususally correct me most often on comma usage, which is different in UK and US English.

I usually hover between level 3 and 4, I simply can't bring myself to put in the amount of time they require, which after tax and paypal fees can come out to around $0.70 - $0.80 per hundred words at level 3.

1. Len Cannon profile image87
          Len Cannonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't know what your PayPal structure is, but payments from Textbroker should not have a fee taken out of them by PayPal.

Anyways, if you are level 3 it is usually not worth your time unless you can pump 400 words out in five minutes (which is certainly possible).  The better way to earn is to either stay at level 4 or 5 or have a steady stream of direct orders.

2. darkside profile image66
          darksideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's gotta suck.

If it causes the amount of time you put in to outweigh the revenue being made then I'd be outta there so fast. I'd be telling them where to stick their monies big_smile

2. Rochelle Frank profile image91
      Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are right they are wrong.  "Your money's worth." is using the possesive form not the plural.

3. relache profile image71
      relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, you are not using "monies " correctly in that statement.

In the phrase " your money's worth" it is talking about the worth that is possessed by the money.  Possessive means owning the quality. 

If you mean to talk about multiple forms of currency, or piles of different denominations of bills, then the correct term is "monies" which is the plural (meaning more than one) form of money.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
        Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oli used "your money's worth"

My understanding is that the editor (wrongly) said he should use 'monies'.

Yes, that is right, I said money's, they changed it to monies sad

2. relache profile image71

Okay, reading it over I'm not clear on what was being said originally.  What I want to see is the entire statement, and not a fragment.

I'll pull it up next time I sign in,

That is pretty much the message I received (written from memory though).

1. relache profile image71

Thanks.  Because I just thought of a contextual situation where you might be right.

It could be "your monies' worth" but then you'd still be off a tad in term of punctuation.

The term i used was 'money's' the editor fixed it to 'monies'!

4. profile image0
      cosetteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

what are the qualifications to be an editor at that site?

they are wrong.

you are talking about the value, or worth, of your 'money'. 'monies' can include all of your capital and assets and is typically not used in this context. if you don't change it,will they ban you? if it were me i would challenge that, only because it now appears that you don't use correct grammar.

good luck.

They won't ban you unless you start copying work or colluding with clients to step outside of their agency.

If the editor has reviewed an article, that means that the client has already accepted it and the money is in your account. There's nothing to change. As far as I'm aware, clients aren't privy to textbroker reviews. They'll only see the average rating of their last five articles (2 to 4).

2. thisisoli profile image70

You would be able tog et an editors job there with ease I think Cosette! tongue

Of course with their rates of pay (If author rates are anything to go by) you probably wouldn't want to tongue

2. Research Analyst profile image73
    Research Analystposted 13 years ago

I am sure that editors are not always right when it comes to grammar in sentences. I write more conversational than the essay type of writing they want on textbroker. I still manage to get quite a bit of work from them though.

3. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 13 years ago

Look up "your money's worth" on Google and you will find 70 million references. None for "your monies worth".

1. lrohner profile image68
      lrohnerposted 13 years ago

Not trying to hijack this thread, but can someone answer a question? I've been a member of TB for a while but have never written for them. I just took a look at what's available for 3 stars (which I guess I have). A penny a word? Seriously? There are so many other places that I know of that pay more upfront, like BrightHub, Constent Content, Demand Studios, etc.

If you guys write for them, they've got to be okay. But I just don't get it. What am I missing?

They try and sell a 3 star rating as "good", but they're not going to be really anything more than competent. 2 stars are only expected to be vaguely legible.   If you're a fast writer and can get things done quickly, you can usually write four or five 5 dollar articles in an hour.

This is obviously only for topics you don't have to research.  The real money you make is getting regular clients who will send you direct orders that aren't part of the "open air market" so to speak.  You set your own price so you can make as much as your client thinks you're worth.

It is better to think of the open orders as networking or auditioning for private work.  I know I'm going to finish off an article today that's paying 150 bucks.*  It is often a waste of time and you'll be better off finding different freelance gigs, but there's plenty of earning potential depending on what type of writing you do.

*RESULTS NOT TYPICAL DO NOT JOIN EXPECTING 150 DOLLAR DAYS

1. lrohner profile image68
          lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hmmm.....the DS writers that are any good (decent work + quick work) make a bare minimum of $150/day. (That's like 6 or 7 400+ word articles.) Hence my confusion about TB.

2. thisisoli profile image70

It's quick and easy money, There is always work there.

Sometimes you don't want to have to fight for a job, simply choose what you want and click 'accept'.

Thats how I see it anyway.  The pay does increase, but not to the same level as my other clients. But my other clients simply do nothave the same level of guaranteed work as textbroker.

1. Research Analyst profile image73
        Research Analystposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's exactly how it is, its a jungle out there.

3. lrohner profile image68

Okay. That makes sense. There are sites like BrightHub, Seed and CC where you feel like you're fighting for titles/topics. But have you looked into DS or Break Studios or something like that? Both offer pretty guaranteed work, quick pay and (most importantly) MORE pay. (Although I haven't written anything for Break yet, but a bunch of my friends have. They're relatively new.)

4. wyanjen profile image70
      wyanjenposted 13 years ago

I could totally be a Textbroker editor.

5. khristal23 profile image61
      khristal23posted 13 years ago

I have written for textbroker. It's not bad if you can go fast. When the right articles are available, it's possible to make $20 an hour.

I also write for demand studios, break studios, and I'm testing for wisegeek. MUCH better pay at those places if you're interested in upfront pay writing, but Textbroker is still good to do sometimes, especially if you can't find something to write anywhere else you're signed up with. Like the OP said, $1 is a $1.

6. sunforged profile image70
      sunforgedposted 13 years ago

oli right, TE editor wrong - it happens.

Im with Lisa, when I still wrote for upfront payments the DS pay 15+ for 300-500 words was always a better option than the prices your quoting for TE!

DS / AC and all the human edited content farms often send dumb revision requests, just part of the process.

You want intelligent editors..get a writers market and start submitting your writing to print media FIRST -if it doesnt sell publish it for for revshare later

http://www.google.com/search?client=ope … p;oe=utf-8

I got a cushy job as a ghost writer for one of the major British newspaper through a friend.  Not really attempted print media since then though!

Do you have any good places to publish for print media, it might be an avenue of income I would be interested in exploring.

1. sunforged profile image70
          sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

oli, writers market deluxe! best $50 in monies you can spend

Cheers, might go and check it out!

7. thisisoli profile image70

I keep meaning to sign up for demand studios, waiting for my authorization to work to come through from immigration though!

8. Brie Hoffman profile image60
      Brie Hoffmanposted 13 years ago

What is textbroker?

9. lrohner profile image68

Oli, Ditto what SF said about Writer's Market. But...if your writing is clean, clear and concise, don't be afraid to pitch small magazines. Thar's good money in them thar hills! smile

Thanks for the confirmation!

I am going to take a look at this tomorrow, it seems promising!

10. profile image0
      paxwillposted 13 years ago

Wow, I can't believe a Textbroker editor actually changed "get your money's worth" to "get your monies worth."  It almost seems like that editor is not a native English speaker.  You should email the head of the editorial department to let them know.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)