Can I move articles to HubPages from another site?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (19 posts)
  1. Moon Daisy profile image80
    Moon Daisyposted 13 years ago

Hello, here's something I've been wondering about for a while.

I have a few articles on another site, which has recently announced that it's no longer going to pay international contributors.  So I'm thinking it would be a good idea to move a couple of them over to HubPages (where we're appreciated! yikes)

I know that it's best if hubs are unique to HubPages, otherwise one's hub score suffers, and I don't want this to happen so I will obviously delete them from the other site first.

Now, is this ok to do (without disturbing my hub score)?  The webcrawlers should only find one version of the articles at any one time, so they will be unique to HubPages, but does it matter that the articles will have appeared on another site previously?? 

Hope that's not a silly question and I hope that makes sense, it's late here!!

Thanks smile

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

You could move them to HubPages. Make sure that you delete them from the other source. I know there is a period of time to wait, but I am not sure how long it you should wait.

I think it is something like a week, but again I am not sure.

3. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

I am not sure either. From what I have read, opinions on this issue differ a good deal. Some say they never experienced any problems, others say that the contents can stay in the system for a lot longer than one week.

4. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

Copy your work, delete it and then upload it ina  week or two, should be fine!

Even if it gets penalised during this time, it will only be temporary.

1. profile image0
      Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"Penalized" you say. I would like to hear your opinion about  what practical consequences, if any, it would have if that happened?

1. thisisoli profile image72
        thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The articles on hubpages will be dropped to supplimentary results, which are rarely seen by those searching the internet.

1. lrohner profile image68
          lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oli, Sorry, but WE is trying to grasp at straws to make a point from an earlier post.

No, the articles on HP will not necessarily be dropped. As Sunforged pointed out on another thread, it's mainly duplicate content on the same domain that has a problem. More than likely, Google will use both pages with the duplicate content, and the one with the highest authority will get the better spot in the SERPs.

This article should help clear the air.

(BTW, listen to Darkside. Trust me.)

1. thisisoli profile image72

I think you need to re-read that article, the one you posted is to do with duplicate content under domain variations, not duplicate content copied from other websites.

The videos are to do with canonical tags which are used to help increase your ability to drive traffic to the exact domain you want. This is opposed to the old methods where webmasters would point domains to the same content on a webpage which means google picks up the content as duplicated across the domain variations. This is what they do not penalise, and what canonical tags remove, it is also what they mean further on in the article when they talk about link dilution.

On the video at the bottom he states that there is no penalty for duplicate content, there is only a penalty for 'spam' which he then goes on to define as one aspect of spam is often when people copy an entire webpage from another source.

To me this is arguing over semantics.

2. thisisoli profile image72

The hub will not necessarily be dropped, and would probably be returned in any case. however I can safely say that after having a site buried in supplementary results after a malware script was installed on my site (thanks to servages non existent security) digging your way out of this hole is a nightmare that is rarely worth the trouble. My drop to supplementary cost me over £10.00 a day in AdSense earnings, so if it can be avoided by waiting a week, I say it is a week well spent.

2. Anamika S profile image69
      Anamika Sposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Or just keep it unpublished in Hubpages for 2 weeks till you hit the publish button thereby helping the article to get a better hub score.

5. darkside profile image65
    darksideposted 13 years ago

Do you have hubs similarly themed to the articles you have published elsewhere?

If so I would leave them there, and link keyword phrases within the article to hubs of the same or related topic.

Add a link to your HubPages profile from your other profile.

Take advantage of your already existing online presence.

6. xboxps3wow profile image40
    xboxps3wowposted 13 years ago

as long as you delete it from the other website and there is no duplicate content, it should be fine

1. Brie Hoffman profile image60
      Brie Hoffmanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So, let me get this straight, you cannot post a hubpage article on another site either?

1. viking305 profile image94
        viking305posted 13 years agoin reply to this

No Brie it is against HubPages rules.  They expect the hubs to be exclusive to  their site.

1. profile image0
          ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, that is incorrect. You retain all rights to your content.

Its just that your hubscores will likely suffer, and if you do it too much your outgoing links may become nofollow (if hubberscore drops below 75).

2. Moon Daisy profile image80
      Moon Daisyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks a lot for all these replies.  From what you say it sounds as if I would be safe to either delete them from the other site, wait a couple of weeks and then copy them onto HubPages, or copy them here and wait a few weeks before publishing them.

I'm grateful for all your good advice. smile

7. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 13 years ago

Hi...

I think it is better to keep your articles where they are - ok, you aren't getting paid, but if you tweak them, reduce the content, place a link to hp (rewrite and reissue as fresh content on hubpages)and add links from original articles to HP article, you have an ESTABLISHED ORGANIC article linking to NEW FRESH HP HUB.  This generates a backlink made of google gold whilst bringing new traffic from your old account to HP articles.  It is from this that you will make some passive income via your new hp article.

There is no subsistute for established and matured content from quality, highly ranked websites.  Even better if you have highly rated website to highly rated website *wink*

You already have a tailor made backlink of gold - use it!

Hope this makes sense.

8. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

the original site is probably associated content or ehow - neither which will allow an edit or provides dofollow links anyway.

so rip and run is your best bet

9. agvulpes profile image86
    agvulpesposted 13 years ago

Would this idea work:
    Remove the content then wait a week and check on Google to see if they are still showing up!  If still showing wait some more time!
    Repeat step 1 until no longer showing in Google!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)