Flop Hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-34 of 34 discussions (48 posts)
  1. DanPowers profile image47
    DanPowersposted 14 years ago

Hi all,

I see lots of messages about how well people are doing, but how about your failures? Have you got any flop hubs?

I've got one hub that has only had a single visit since I wrote it a few weeks ago!

In general I think that my hubs about stuff people don't know you can buy or do aren't doing very well.

Share your epic fails here...

1. profile image0
      Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My hub flop is definitely my Smallworlds Farming Tutorial. I really thought it would have more hits since Smallworlds has over 1 million users lol

2. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

Mine would be the 20 or so chapters of one of my science fiction novels titled The Seeder.  That's about 1/4 of the full manuscript, but it wasn't generating enough activity to keep things particularly inspiring.

I take that with a grain of salt, though, especially after discovering that the science fiction / fantasy market is actually quite a small thing in terms of the number of readers who go out and buy books.  There's the rare megahit that transcends normal limitations, such as Robert Jordan's "The Wheel of Time" series, or something like the Harry Potter phenomenon, but other than that even the well known SF writers are struggling in terms of income.

No big!  big_smile

1. profile image0
      WizardOfOzposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Neuromancer?

I am not in the habit of posting links but pm me if you like, I found a good site for SF writers.  Traditional publisher, pays well.

3. elayne001 profile image79
    elayne001posted 14 years ago

My flopper is The Secret to Learning to Play the Piano. Had barely any visitors and no comments.

Also, Rules for a Sane Home with Tenants and Landlords - I thought it was pretty good, but not too much interest. These are the only two that have had no comments.

In contrast, the one that has had the most hits is Hairy Men vs. Smooth Men.

It is fun to see what people are interested in.

4. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 14 years ago

my hub flop is a poem I published on 2/13/10 and has had a whopping 10 page views.  lol  I didn't expect poetry to do well, Hubpages is just a safe place to keep it.

1. profile image0
      shazwellynposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL.. looks like the same with my poetry!  I even tried changing keywords etc and do a regig.  Stories dont get too much traffic either, but I guess people arent searching for Faffenburger's Odyssey! LOL  It is a good story though - even if I say it myself.

We take the rough with the smooth or is it we take the rough with the rough! big_smile

5. kirstenblog profile image77
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

To many flops to report! lol
    My early days here were a heady mix of writing hubs and trying to figure out how to find good topics. Most of the early hubs get little to no traffic now and are on topics that are not likely to be searched for or if they are searched for its actually highly competitive. I try not to worry about them and if someone does read one of em I am usually shocked lol yikes

1. Lisa HW profile image61
      Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My early days were the same.  I thought it would be good to write Hubs for requests (now "questions"), and I didn't know what kind to ignore.  I wrote Hubs (without changing the titles) like "What if my second child has a friend who lives across the street, and the friend's aunt-in-law thinks Mazda's are the best car; and now my second child doesn't like my ex-husband's Buick?"  (That's not a real one, but you get the idea.)  lol

As a result, I have quite the collection of flops.  One day I'll address the issue of doing something with them.

1. marinealways24 profile image60
        marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol This brightened up the morning. Thanks.

2. profile image0

Ha ha! Good one!

6. darkside profile image64
    darksideposted 14 years ago

One of mine is about Sushi. But to be honest it resembles a blog post rather than the makings of a quality article.

7. CMHypno profile image83
    CMHypnoposted 14 years ago

One of my biggest flops is a travel Hub about Broome in Australia - gets very little traffic, even though the other similar travel Hubs do ok.  Broome really is a great place to visit folks!

In one of my 'must make some money' moments, I wrote a Hub on Liv Dolls, just for a bit of a laugh really.  However, the traffic to this Hub is double that of any of the others, so you just don't really know what will take off and what won't!

8. Mutiny92 profile image64
    Mutiny92posted 14 years ago

I have one on the haunted spots in Los Angeles (not exactly a well-known haunting spot, I guess).  I hope it picks up towards Halloween.  I am planning on getting some backlinks and sharing the hub on a few forums to see if it can drive some traffic in September/October.

9. Gymfroggy profile image60
    Gymfroggyposted 14 years ago

Not got that many yet but my external hard disk hub isn't doing too well so far lol. Oh well!

10. wrenfrost56 profile image56
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

I got a couple the one with the least views is snow and ash chapter one. Sank quicker then a stone covered in concrete and gets less view then a desert gets rain, subsequently there is yet to be a chapter two. lol

1. profile image0

big_smile

11. profile image0
    selrachposted 14 years ago

I would have to say all if I went by everything I read in the forums.
    Have had a total of 400 hits on all hubs,but hey I enjoy writting them and only write for fun

12. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

Ummmm... Do you mean the ones that flopped like a pelican landing on ice or the ones where the pelican flops into a cravace??? hmm

I'm sure I've got some of each and I haven't even written about bloody pelicans lol

13. Mutiny92 profile image64
    Mutiny92posted 14 years ago

to be fair, I would much rather have a "flop" hub with only a few visits (but each visit converts into a good Amazon or Ebay sale) than a highly visited hub that got squat.

Of course, watching those visits add up is addicting!

14. Will Apse profile image87
    Will Apseposted 14 years ago

You have to wait a long time before you can be sure a hub is a flop. I have hubs that have only started doing well after 6 months. If it is a good page with useful information and you took trouble to research the key words, a hub always has a chance.

More personal pages are a different story. I don't produce them so I don't understand the dynamic.

15. DanPowers profile image47
    DanPowersposted 14 years ago

Wow, there are some great confessions here.

It's a shame I can't tell anyone what my flop hubs are, then they will no longer be flops!

I'll keep them live though, maybe their time will come.

16. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

My only question would be - What is considered a "flop" hub?

I only ask, because I've been here just over 6 months and I'm not sure how to classify a "flop" hub?

If you're looking to know the least traveled hub I have then that would be easy to say...

If you're looking for the hub that has the fewest comments, then that would be simple too....

If you're looking to find out which Hub has the least amount of clicks, then that would be more difficult, but could be found out.

I have several hubs that fit into each category, if that helps.

17. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

On a side note- does Hubscore matter?

The only reason I ask that is because I presently have 66 Hub and only 7 of the have a hubscore lower than 70.

So, again, I'm not sure what is considered a flop?

But, thank you for an interesting question. smile

1. myownworld profile image74
      myownworldposted 14 years agoin reply to this

75 is like a nofollow threshold.  If your score falls below that, I think HP marks all outgoing links on your Hubs as nofollow. Atleast, that's what I've read so far.

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That would be your Authorscore 75 and Hubscore 40+ or better for the links to be DOFollow.

2. Paradise7 profile image69
      Paradise7posted 14 years agoin reply to this

The hub score on any individual hub ages over time...it starts out low, then rises for a while, then drops, as you write new hubs and the people following you view them, instead of the old ones.

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, I don't know about your hubs or how closely you watch them, but I have noticed at least a 8 point drop in each of my hubs on a 24-48 hour period.

I do not have a problem with that and as far as the older the hubs get....that they are visited less? This would depend on what the hub was about and it's contents.

If the hub was written well, and on a topic that is almost on the minds of everyone is always going to do well.

If you write a hub on a unique perspective, one where people are not use to seeing it? Then you make them stop and think, then they go any tell someone else. Word of mouth is an excellent tool.

However, my lowest ranking hub is at 62 and my highest is 93.

So, yes hubs will no doubt age, but quality content helps it survive. wink

18. Paradise7 profile image69
    Paradise7posted 14 years ago

I wrote a hub, which I really thought was pretty good, on Neutron Stars, and published it back in October.  It's only got 30 views, and no comments, I don't think.

I'm not sure why that one flopped.  I've written a few other astronomy hubs which did better than THAT one, at least.

It wasn't a dog hub, really.  I just don't know why it flopped.

19. talfonso profile image85
    talfonsoposted 13 years ago

I started out writing for HP last summer and the first few hubs were flops - the one on telling the school to perform a musical for someone who was discriminatory to an autistic child and mincemeat pies being sold months before Christmas. I think that exact dates (not counting Hubs involving some deciduous, or seasonal content) have to do with that. I recently swung my pendulum to evergreen content, with some deciduous ones thrown in.

20. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 13 years ago

I have a few Hubs that sometimes rank in the upper 60s, but somedays all my Hubs are over 70.  What's the criteria for a flop?  Traffic?  Score?  Earnings?

21. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

My very first hub has brought me most of my traffic, but never brought me clicks. I've written a load since that don't get much much traffic, but when they do they get a click. Most of my hubs sit at zero views on a daily basis, and a handful do well (by my standards so far, which isn't a lot). I'm going back through my older hubs tring to optimise them, but I'm still left with a dozen or so that are just crap IMO. Hesitant to bin them all the same because you never know when they could become popular.

22. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years ago

Flop Flop Flop

Lots to Flop

lol

23. LeanMan profile image79
    LeanManposted 13 years ago

I'm happy so far, none of mine on zero views, but not exactly generating an income... lol If money is the measure then they are all flops... But maybe my latest today will be different..

24. easybusinesslinks profile image60
    easybusinesslinksposted 13 years ago

I always have a floppy one! ....Too much use I guess!

25. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

Yes, I consider about half of hubs to be 'flops'. But thats the beauty of it. You can do all the keyword research that you want, analyse the competition on Google, and still not get it right. Then once and a while you churn something out and expect it to do terribly, before it goes and drags in 50 page views a day.

Sometimes I select my keywords and it is an accidental phrase that brings in my traffic. Its a funny old game.

By benchmark is 10 page views per day, although I have hubs which get 5 a day which have given me some hefty clicks once and a while!

1. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is useful info.  I only have one hub that regularly generates more than ten views in a day (sometimes as many as 60 or more per day).  Unfortunately, it doesn't generate that much income!

I have another ten hubs that get at least five views per day, plus maybe 30 hubs that get one or two views per day.  But I do have a residue of hubs that are lucky to see a few views per week.

Overall I would love to see my daily views go up from 150 - 200 or so per day (which is what I'm getting now) to 500.  I only hope this is realistic, given the - probably inadequate - amount of backlinking I do (I submit backlinks to three bookmarking sites).

26. Jeff Berndt profile image71
    Jeff Berndtposted 13 years ago

I'm really glad to have noticed this thread.

I don't consider any of my hubs to be flops quality-wise, but if success is a factor of number of views divided by days since the hub was published, there's a lot hat haven't been looked at in rather a long time.

I've figured out one thing:

Controversy seems to drive traffic.
    Most of my hubs are fairly uncontroversial, being light pieces on things like how to make a cardboard lightsaber or ideas for roleplaying game scenarios. But I saw someone else's hub about the US public school system, and I wrote one in response, and that very day it had more hits than one of my hubs that had been up for months.

But I have no idea why, for example, this hub hasn't had a hit in weeks, but this one gets steady, if slow, traffic.

They're both good articles (of course, I would say that smile), but one gets visits and the other doesn't. I think I need to spend some time figuring out how to optimize my hubs for maximum traffic.

1. 49lart profile image64
      49lartposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It depends on your definition of flop. There are so many ways that effect traffic, hub maturity in search results, quality of content, page rank, inbound links and the time of year.

2. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm guessing it's because nobody on the Internet ever searches using the term _think you can't cook_, but there are probably a few out there who do search for _marinara sauce_ or _homemade marinara sauce_ (sounds tasty, just going to go back and read it properly).

27. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

Jeff,  I have too many Hubs vying for the "honor" of "Biggest Flop" (at least traffic-wise), so I can't even select one.  hmm  Although some people don't bother with backlinks and get a certain amount of outside traffic (apparently bothering with the right kind of title and keywords, though), a whole lot of people find backlinking makes a big difference for them.

There's no doubt about it, though, it's always about keywords and the right title.  You're right, though, controversy gets more comments and therefore a little more attention, at least within HubPages itself.  My best earners/traffic-getters aren't controversial, though.  They about stuff people search for.

28. Pcunix profile image89
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

Thousands of flops.  Some surprised me because I thought they were pretty good.   But the Internet can be fickle.  Flops don't matter - it's the hits that matter.  Get enough, and suddenly your old junk is gold.

Take Stephen King, for example.  Not a great writer, and his early stuff was really, really bad.  Yet he became popular and now his early stuff, which has not improved with the passage of time, is snapped up by eager readers.  It's gold, or at least silver.

Everybody flops.

29. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

I have a fair number of hubs which get 0 traffic every day, but other hubs that get hundreds of visitors a day, it all evens out I guess!

30. brettb profile image61
    brettbposted 13 years ago

I'm seeing less flops since I started writing about stuff people want to read!

31. Aficionada profile image80
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

So glad to read all of the comments here!  I'm especially tickled to see that some of my heroes have a few Hubs that they might consider to be flops or that have zero views on some days, some that get many views but no income and vice versa.  It does definitely give one even more hope.  Thanks, y'all!

32. Betty Reid profile image61
    Betty Reidposted 13 years ago

My biggest flop is entitled "Great Last Minute Gifts Ideas."  I really can't explain why, but I guess I'll look into that.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Great-Last-Minute-Gift-Ideas

33. Glenn Stok profile image97
    Glenn Stokposted 13 years ago

My biggest flop is "Friendships Never Die." I was inspired to write this hub when I rekindled two old friendships at a funeral of all places, which also gave me the idea for the title. It has the lowest score (presently 62) and sometimes no hits in an entire week.

34. Brie Hoffman profile image60
    Brie Hoffmanposted 13 years ago

Funny, my worst hub is 10 Tips for Getting Ideas for Writing Hubs!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)