google analytics

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (28 posts)
  1. lucieanne profile image68
    lucieanneposted 13 years ago

Hi
    Can someone tell me what 'bounce rate' means in Google analytics please? Which is best, a low number or a high one?
    Cheers

1. thisisoli profile image70
      thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's the percentage/number of people who leave the site/close the window after reading your article. THis is rather tahn visiting another page on your site.

I am not 100% sure if this value includes clicking away form the site on an advert or not, could anyone clarify?

You want this number to be as low as possible, but it will inveriably be high for most webpages.

lucieanneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks thisisoli. It was baffling me for some time. So it's all about traffic then. Not much I can do to change it then.

2. Pcunix profile image90
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's the percentage of folks who did not read anything else on your site after the page they landed on.

A bit meaningless for HubPages as a low rate might mean they went on to read other Hubbers pages (I am unsure how Google calculates that here).

You might expect a high bounce rate on certain pages.  For example, I have several pages at my main site that give very specific help with very specific problems.  I would expect that most people landing there would read the solution and immediately leave to go implement it.  That explains the high BR.

If a page that is part of a series and has links to the next part has a high BR, that's definitely not what you want.

Thanks Pcunix. So it's just another stat to get in a flap over then. Nothing I can do to change it.

1. Pcunix profile image90

No, no, that's not true at all.  If you have a series, you can encourage people to visit the next or previous part.  You can encourage people to look at your Rss feed.   You absolutely can work to improve it.

2. Pcunix profile image90
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

I should probably explain what I meant by "probably meaningless here"

At a site you own yourself, there is no question at all what BR means.

Here, it depends on whether Google considers going to any hubpages.com page as staying on site, or only counts going to a page with your Analytics code on it.  It's easy to imagine them doing either, as they could pre or post process the link.

Would they count it if  someone jumped from your page to mine and then  to Sam's and back to you?

I do not know.

3. Peter Hoggan profile image68
    Peter Hogganposted 13 years ago

As far as HubPages is concerned a bounce occurs when someone visits one of your hubs and then moves to another page that does not contain your analytics code. This could happen if a visitor leaves a hub by way of a link to a page external to HubPages or a hub by another author.

Although the idea is to make a modest income through Adsense clicks, they will also show up as a bounce if a visitor lands on one of your pages and exits via an ad without visiting any other hub authored by you.

If a visitor was to land on one of your hubs and then follow a link to another of your hubs this would not show up as a bounce. If they then moved away from hubpages this would show up in your analytics as an exit page rather than a bounce.

So you know for sure that Analytics  is looking to land on a page containing your code?  I could see them doing that, but I could also see them just looking at the destination domain.   If they do it as you say, then it is accurate.  If they do it the other way, it is inaccurate in cases like HubPages.

1. Peter Hoggan profile image68
        Peter Hogganposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yep that’s the way it works, the code has to be present, if not it will show up as a bounce or an exit.

It’s impossible to make any sense of our own individual bounce rate as far as HubPages is concerned, to many reasons completely out of our control get factored in.

Ok, but I'm not understanding how you know that this is how the code works. Did you do do some testing that proves it works that way?

I thought about trying to create such a test, but couldn't think how to control it.

1. Peter Hoggan profile image68
            Peter Hogganposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Google analytics uses a system called page tagging, this means that pages are tagged with a few lines of JavaScript.

Google analytics can only gather data from pages that contain the code snippet provide to you. This snippet is unique and will only feed data into your analytics account from pages that contain the snippet.

It works like this, someone follows a link to your hub, their web browser loads the page and its underlying code, the JavaScript is activated and the browser passes information back to your analytics account. Thus you are able to get all the good information you find in your analytics.

If the code was not present this would not happen so bounces and exits can be detected.

I don't think you understand what I'm saying.  I've used  Analytics for years, by the way.

There are two ways Google could decide if a bounce should be recorded when someone leaves a page.

One is what you suggest: see if we end up on a page that has the same Analytics tag.

The other way is simply to capture the click and see if it points to the same domain.

The second method is simpler, but it would give inaccurate results for sites like HubPages.  It would also be inaccurate in the case of off-site redirects. 

I would *assume* that Google desires accuracy for redirects even if they don't care about our little needs at HP, but I do not know that and I remain unclear as to whether you know or are just assuming as I would.

4. Aficionada profile image80
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

Another Google Analytics question - slightly urgent.  I've just signed up and entered the code in my affiliate settings (on the My Account page).  But on the Analytics page, it shows the icon that means that the code is unknown or not verified.  So, two questions:

How long does it take for the code to be verified? and

when the UA-XXXXXXX-X number is entered (in the affiliate settings box), should it include the single quote marks that were with it in the original, long Java-script code or not?  That is, in my affiliate settings, do I enter

'UA-XXXXXXX-X'  OR

UA-XXXXXXX-X

???

Thanks!

1. Rafini profile image83
      Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I copied and pasted mine....I don't think there were any quotation marks....
      I believe it can take several days for the code to be verified & for stats to show up. (I just got mine done today, so...I'll be finding out for sure soon!)

5. Aficionada profile image80

Thanks.  I tried it first without the quotation marks, then with.  I was trying to follow step-by-step from the Hub by Caspar (I think that's his name).  I did understand that the stats would take several days, but I didn't quite understand that it would take that long for the code to be verified, so when it wasn't done soon, I made the change.  I'll change it back.

6. Aficionada profile image80

I guess I could have asked this, Rafini:  on your Google Analytics page, under Status did it show a little clock or the triangle with an exclamation point in it?

1. Rafini profile image83
      Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

the triangle with an exclamation point, then I posted a question in the forums to find out how to set it up. lol  (earlier today, in fact)
      I haven't been back to check on it.  I will now and I'll be right back.

Nope, now I have a green checkmark.  OMG!  I have info!!  lol   8 page views at a time of 00:17:32!  (does that mean minutes or seconds...?)

7. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

Don't include the quotation marks!

Clear as mud !! (lol)

8. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

Learned Thisisoli was referring to this post, I think:

http://hubpages.com/forum/post/1074406

9. Aficionada profile image80

lucieanne, he was replying to my question, several posts above.  When I copied the UA-XXXXXX-X code (in the process of signing up with GA), my copy showed single quotation marks.  I didn't know whether those belonged in the Google Analytics box on my Affiliate Settings section of the My Account page.

Thanks, everyone.  I'm signed up now, my code has been detected, and I'm eager to see the results.

10. Aficionada profile image80

WE, I do believe our posts happened at the same time.  What are the odds??  big_smile smile

1. profile image0
      Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Maybe not as low as you think. It happened to me twice today, then, how are the odds of that?

1. Aficionada profile image80
        Aficionadaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, actually I was trying to be ironic, but perhaps not very successfully.  I've seen it happen quite often.  The first few times, it seemed amazing, but since then it has become more commonplace.  Once in a store, I commented on the fact that the amount I owed was an even dollar amount - the first time it had ever happened to me.  But the cashier said it's pretty common. 

I guess "that's life" - a good part of it for me, anyway:  a constant process of revising theories about norms and differences.

1. profile image0
          Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I believe that too: There are so many transactions and interactions, many more than we notice - and suddenly these "inexplicable" coincidences occur.

Don't worry, I got it - to me, you will always be the "Über poster."

1. Aficionada profile image80
            Aficionadaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wow!

We'll have to start a Mutual Admiration Society, okay?

big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile

11. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

Société d'admiration Mutuelle is hereby established!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)