Wow its hard to love a Squidoo lens

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (30 posts)
  1. Spacey Gracey profile image39
    Spacey Graceyposted 13 years ago

I've spent the last 2 hours working on Squidoo lenses. I can't believe how hard it is to love one. I like to nurture my hubs, I want them to look beautiful. But I want to publish and run away from a lens as quickly as possible. I guess I just wasn't made for that platform. I feel so lucky to have found, and fallen in love with, Hubpages.

1. Christene profile image61
      Christeneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I love my lenses dearly.

1. Maddie Ruud profile image73
        Maddie Ruudposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I love my contact lenses.  They make me a lot less blind.

2. Spacey Gracey profile image39
        Spacey Graceyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Can you tell me how to find one of yours - I think if I could look at one that had benefited from a loving touch I could do better with mine.

There is a link on my hubpages profile. smile

(And just so no one thinks I'm anti-hubpages or something...I do post over there for people to come try HubPages too! And I link lenses to hubs to get traffic over here.)

2. thisisoli profile image72
      thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Fully agree with you there, Whenever I build a lense I always feel as if I am doing a 'bad job'. Not sure whhy but it definitely leaves me with a sour taste in my mouth for that company.

2. Dolores Monet profile image95
    Dolores Monetposted 13 years ago

I was just looking at Squidoo. I want to write some articles where I can churn them out and get some links back here. I have that love for my hubs. I write for ezines, but since they don't pay...at least Squidoo pays.

3. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 13 years ago

I signed up to Squidoo, built one lens and never returned.  It was mind-numbingly s-l-o-w to use (anyone else find that?) and although it offered a mouthwatering array of capsules, I couldn't get the one I wanted (Etsy) to actually work, i.e. show the stuff in my Etsy shop.  So I gave up in disgust.

1. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Update: I've just gone back into my lonely lens and had another go, and it worked fine.  And it's not slow either.  Beats me what I was doing wrong before LOL.

1. thisisoli profile image72
        thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Now you just have to compete with the spam articles to get in to the two Google slots!

I am not a fan of squidoo, but plenty of people still make money on it, so I don't feel like it is my place to tell others not to bother.

I merely think it is a personal choice.

4. Christene profile image61
    Christeneposted 13 years ago

I hate my contact lenses. They make my eyes dry. tongue

I won't post links, but some lenses I am most proud of are

Only Children
    Sudden Onset Juvenile Diabetes
    ASL For Everyone

If anyone is interested they're easy to find.

5. Spacey Gracey profile image39

Thanks Christene - you posted those up as I was typing my question - great minds think alike.

6. Spacey Gracey profile image39

Oli - frankly it just makes me feel dirty - like I am doing a half-arsed job, just to get it over with. I am wondering if it is because I have been writing about the same topic for so long, I'e just got really bored of it.

7. LeanMan profile image79
    LeanManposted 13 years ago

I tried to do a couple of lens before I started on Hubpages, I carried on with Hub pages as I found it easier.... Plus I was trapped in the forums and could not escape....

8. Dolores Monet profile image95
    Dolores Monetposted 13 years ago

Well, just reading the top Squidoo lenses, I am not impressed. HubPages just look better.

9. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

Ehh.

I tried Sqidoo way back when.  I never looked back.

10. wychic profile image85
    wychicposted 13 years ago

I think I did four or five lenses, just trying to give it a fair shot...I had one on keeping bugs as pets that I liked alright, but the others just felt like a waste of time...and turned out that they were tongue.

11. Kangaroo_Jase profile image73
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years ago

Interesting, I started at Squidoo before I started at Hub pages and I am liking both platforms. Each one does things slightly different that cater for me in different ways.

The same with Ezinearticles and Associated Content, in a squidoo forum I expressed how much I chucked a wobbly (That is Australian for got a little upset, for those of you playing at home) about Associated Content no longer paying international authors.

Do I still use the platform? Hell yes, I still have multiple articles and one has in excess of 115,000+ views. It is still beneficial for traffic.

I feel thisisoli suggested it best, its all about personal choice.

1. salt profile image61
      saltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Maybe you need an american friend who can give you a us address for payment.

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image73
        Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is one option I am currently exploring salt, thanks for the suggestion

2. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This.  I have a more well-rounded and diverse web presence with lenses.

Plus, I do make several hundred dollars a month from them too.

12. Mutiny92 profile image62
    Mutiny92posted 13 years ago

I like the interface of Hubpages better, but I have a few lenses in the top tier, so I can't complain with the payouts over there...I don't like the slow continual drop in lensrank though....It can be a pain to go in a "refresh" them often.

13. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

Gladly it's not an "either or" choice. We can work on both platforms and should. Diversity in affiliate marketing and online selling is a necessity.

14. cocopreme profile image88
    cocopremeposted 13 years ago

I prefer HubPages because the layout is more user friendly.  It takes me forever to figure out how to do anything on Squidoo.  I always have trouble trying to upload files too. 

But one thing I do like about Squidoo is the quiz lenses they offer.  I have a couple of quizes on Squidoo that get decent traffic.

15. Angela Harris profile image67
    Angela Harrisposted 13 years ago

Tried Squidoo before Hubpages. Really don't like it. I'm a huge fan of Hubpages, though. That being said, I have quite a few lenses, and try to keep them updated. But I never seemed to get with the groove at Squidoo.

16. Richieb799 profile image75
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

I haven't logged in Squidoo for a while, I found bits harder to organize than in the hubs

17. Appletreedeals profile image67
    Appletreedealsposted 13 years ago

I too use both services, different animals - that's all
    but I do seem to see hubpages a lot more in serps when I am doing keyword research.

GA

18. Len Cannon profile image87
    Len Cannonposted 13 years ago

I think their revenue sharing model is weird but I keep meaning to do more with it but never get around to putting in the effort.  I'd like to take the time to use it since they seem all right amazon products but I'm not a big fan of the fact you don't use your own affiliate account information. It isn't that I don't trust them to give me a fair share, but I would rather the amazon sales go to my monthly shipped total.

You can use your own affiliate links.

19. darkside profile image63
    darksideposted 13 years ago

Having been an avid user of both, and used Squidoo for a year before I joined HubPages, they both are excellent if you play to their strengths.

I will say that it's easier and quicker to build a hub then a lens. Picking and organizing capsules is faster than doing the same with modules.

That wasn't always the case. But they added new features and also dumbed down the process which also made it longer.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)