Five of my six hubs have keywords putting them on 1st page Google

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (29 posts)
  1. brakel2 profile image74
    brakel2posted 13 years ago

Did I get lucky or what? The only problem is that there is not much traffic. I spent a lot of time with Adwords Keyword tool, and I bought an SEO book by Michael Miller and asked a lot of questions in the forum. Thanks for all your help. Any comments?

1. profile image0
      seo in a nutshellposted 13 years agoin reply to this

check out my last hub...i think it covers things pretty well. there is no point in ranking for keywords with no traffic. do the research and your traffic will take off. i try to make hubs or blog posts that get at least 1000 visits per month.

ken

2. Peter Hoggan profile image67
      Peter Hogganposted 13 years agoin reply to this

brakel2, when researching keywords using the Adwords tool do you use broad, phrase or exact matching?

brakel2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I was using broad but recently changed to exact.

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Congrats!

However, if you are not getting traffic to your hubs, then I would say that your topics or titles are not what most people are searching for.

That is all I can take away from what you said. smile

3. Peter Hoggan profile image67
    Peter Hogganposted 13 years ago

Excellent stuff.

In a similar vein to Cagsils comment the traffic for the keywords you are ranking for just might not be that great. That’s the problem with the Adwords tool it gives no real indication as to the levels of traffic for the keyphrases you are researching.

1. Aficionada profile image79
      Aficionadaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I started writing a response to this, then in rereading it I think I answered my own question.  But I'll check to be sure.  (Following is my modified response.)

The Adwords Tool does give information about the number of times a specific search term or phrase is being used to find a subject.  But you, Peter, are saying (I believe) that that number of searches doesn't automatically convert into the same number in terms of actual traffic to the site - correct?

@ Stacie L - Does the "trending" feature of the Adwords Tool help any with the kind of prediction you might want?  Is it helpful at all, or just another set of numbers to make us dizzy and unable to write very well?  yikes

One of my keyword phrases is "good public speaker" which seems to get the most traffic. The google tool does drive me crazy, and I spend too much time on it. I understand the feeling about the tool. Any other website better than google tool?

The tool was designed for Adwords users, so the numbers correlate to the number of times an ad would be displayed in response to a search. Broad match will include the ad in thousands of similar terms that a page would have little chance in ranking for organically so the numbers will be artificially high. The opposite could be true for exact match i.e. a page might rank organically for a broader set of terms than an exact match ad.

4. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 13 years ago

after researching keywords , SEO techniques and other hubbers advice I've come to the conclusion that keywords are not as important as we think.
    what i mean is, keywords are only important for the time people are searching for that topic,
    what is popular this week and what shows up on Google first page may not be popular in a month from now.
    I'm tired of stressing over keyword ranking. hmm

5. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

I Just Use the Grey Matter Tool...
    If I Google My Writing Name..
    then of 6,ooo,ooo I am positioned at #25 (third page) and the bulk of all my works are listed under Pearldiver.
    I have been promoting the name for a year.
    I have a hub at #1 on a 23,ooo,ooo reference, which also does quite well.
    And another on #3 of 11,ooo,ooo smile

I can't write about SEO as I don't understand it.
    Maybe I can write something about commonsense hmm
    (like how stupid it is tell the world hmm )

6. Bill Manning profile image65
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

Congrads on getting to 1st page on Google. But like others said, your keywords sound like they are not that popular. The key is to pick one that is not so popular that many go for it, yet still popular enough to get decent traffic.

Over time you'll get better at picking out the ones that are just right. Everyone picks some good and bad, it's a lot of trail and error. Good start however. smile

1. Pearldiver profile image66
      Pearldiverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well Said Mate smile

7. Business Info profile image60
    Business Infoposted 13 years ago

I can write about SEO as I understand it pretty well.

rather than use the Google adwords tool for any kind of realistic traffic estimations I would recommend http://freekeywords.wordtracker.com/ - the actual visits you are likely to receive for any keywords will be much closer to the figures on here than on the Adwords tool.

if you are using the adwords tool be sure to use "exact" and I can tell you from good experience that even those figures are generally optimistic by a factor or 3-10 times.

with the authority status of Hubpages.com and it's immediate ranking power of fresh content (new Hubs) I would also make sure to look at Google Trends http://www.google.com/trends to try and identify up and coming phrases before there's too much competition for them yet.

If you can publish a decent hub on a subject as it is just becoming popular you can also very likely get some large traffic surges for several months, sometimes much longer that way.

There is a theory that the number should be 50:1 ratio to number of people searching for keywords compared to number of webpage results. Is that the number at the top of the webpage, and is that number of webpages or individual sites? What about that theory? It really means that the fewer the results, the more chance you have at success.

1. Business Info profile image60
        Business Infoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

havent seen that particular theory before?  but the best way to gauge the actual amount of sites trying to compete for those kws is to use this search

allintitle: keyword1 keyword2 

that will show you the amount of sites with those keywords in their pagetitles, which can be thought of as "trying" for those words.

the total number of pages shown on a normal search is inconsistent and  shows all sites with the words just on the page somewhere, rather than focused on those terms.

hope that helps.

..sorry no gaps in the search between the colon and the kws..

so..

allintitle:my keyword

The data wordtracker use is mined from Metacrawler and Dogpile, neither hold much market share and are not used by your typical Google user. It’s just another tool and traffic estimations are best taken with a grain of salt. Google et all do not share this kind of information with anybody and the numbers provided by wordtraker are simply speculative guesswork.

Peter I completely agree with you smile

however I can tell you from experience of data multiple high ranking sites for decent level keywords that the Wordtracker figures will be much closer to the actual traffic you *receive* from the kws than Adwords is.

8. NaomiR profile image76
    NaomiRposted 13 years ago

Congrats! I'm not great at SEO so take my advice lightly. But I sometimes use the keyword tool, but have had more success simply going to Google and figuring out what search phrases people are actually using to find stuff. I might not be using the most expensived keywords, but if a hub ends up getting more volume of smaller clicks, it can add up.

1. Peter Hoggan profile image67

That’s probably the most effective method of keyword research there is. Start by thinking what keyphrases your target customer would type into a search engine and then look at the pages that are returned. You will soon get a feel for what Google thinks is a good page. Also take a peek at the amount of backlinks each page has to get some idea how competitive the term is. Generally the more competitive a term is the more value that term holds.

9. brakel2 profile image74
    brakel2posted 13 years ago

The suggestion about checking allintitle:keyword is just great. That is part of the 50:1 theory of number of keywords on webpagss divided by the number of people searching for that keyword. What about that?

i haven't heard this 50-1 thing at all, could you elaborate?

In my husband's current INC magazine, there was an article on SEO. An SEO marketing expert says to use keywords where the ratio is close to 50:1 The 50 is the number of searchers and the 1 is the number of websites with that keyword. So you would divide the number of websites by the number of people searching to get that ratio or somewhere near that ratio. When you get the numbers, you may know the ratio is not good without even doing the formula.  I would like an opinion on that. I will find the magazine and get the name of the company and post it.

i would think that ratio is probably more like the other way round to be honest?

theres generally far more sites than there are people looking for their keywords.

id be inclined to ignore that i think, there is an awful lot of nonsense written about seo.

I have been testing that theory, and it does not work out right.It doesn't make sense the other way either as a winning technique for us.

10. Daniel5 profile image69
    Daniel5posted 13 years ago

I find it REALLY hard to rank on the first few pages on google. Do backlinks really have something to do with ranking?

1. profile image0
      shazwellynposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Only if they are dofollow backlinks.  And it is about maturation of hubs. And quality of article - not to mention other websites finding your material helpful enough to want to link to you.  Organic backlinking is showered with google love.  Be natural, provide good content and spreading the love helps.

oh... btw... you need to get above 74 on your authorscore before you will see success!  Get hubbing and produce more than 1 hub!

2. Business Info profile image60

Do backlinks really have something to do with ranking?

yes, but they need to be good ones to do anything. are you talking about ranking hubs or sites, using links from hubs?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)