help the poor by helping them save

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (29 posts)
  1. etauntontv profile image57
    etauntontvposted 13 years ago

i want everyone to know if you cut your coupons and give them to churches or social events and put them in a basket someone could use the help.   single parents need help with diapers and other items everyday.  such as milk , cheese ,papertowels , tooth paste.

help with electricity is a big thing
    give them coupons for light bulbs or buy them for your church to hand out

1. Rafini profile image82
      Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

interesting idea.  I just might do that...clip coupons for the food pantry's.  I don't usually use them cuz the coupons are usually for things I don't buy. hmm

2. Ivorwen profile image65
      Ivorwenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know that in some areas a person who knows how to use coupons can walk out of a store with a cart full of food and money in hand, but it is not like that where I live.  I can shop much cheaper by buying fresh, whole products.  For things like milk and cheese, the store brand is usually still cheaper than the brand that offers a coupon.  It has always amazed me, when I have offered to help with budgeting, how many who claim to be poor refuse to change their lifestyle and eat healthy.

3. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

When I was poor my trouble was not having money for food, not having a car to get to supermarkets, and dealing with people who were implying my problem was not having a minimum wage job in an expensive town--but a lack of moral character and frugality.  I would suggest just donating actual  food to food kitchens, not coupons.

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Interesting concept, however, I would recommend separating out the church. The middle person is, if not always, a problem to begin with.

If you really want to help the poor, then give them what you are suggesting, yourself. Never mind using someone else to deliver your gift or receive your satisfaction from the act.

You would be best serving yourself, to act on it, instead of getting other people involved with it, such as a church organization.

1. TLMinut profile image61
      TLMinutposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Having a middle man is good sometimes in these cases. It saves embarrassment for the ones on the receiving end. I've been on the giving and the receiving end, I've given personally and anonymously and received both ways as well. Both ways have their time and place I think.

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How exactly? Either way they are receiving. They have to come face to face with someone, which isn't going to lessen their embarrassment any whatsoever. And, just because it is a Priest or church member, doesn't make it any better.
        And, when you have given without using a middle man, didn't you feel a different feeling inside, compared to having the middle man? hmm

1. profile image0
          china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you are giving to friends and family, basically people you know, this might apply. But a healthy element in giving is not about how you feel, it is about how they feel I think.

Although I would agree with the religious perspective, for the managers of a religion it is part of increasing their 'flock' as much as the giving.  In this I would agree with Somewayoutahere.

Nice to see you are selfish. It's about both, you give because it give you warm loving feeling to do so.

Or did you miss that part?

It's not about any individual, it's about compassion for those who are less fortunate, and is done because you care about their future.

The person receiving it, probably feels embarrassed or guilty or deeply distressed over it, but will not look a gift horse in the mouth, because they choose to survive, by any means necessary.

Hope that clarified things for you.

1. profile image0

It is not necessary to be rude in every comment you make to me.

I understood your post very clearly.  The point I was making is that 'warm glow' is for YOU, sometimes at the expense of the feelings of the receiver - who you say must suffer the embarrassment because 'they will not look a gift horse in the mouth' in other words you are taking their dignity to get yourself a warm glow. 

Hope that simplified things for you

I am not taking their dignity. How foolish is it of you to think in that manner? Damn man, you think before you talk?

They have no dignity to take. What part do you not understand? Those who are less fortunate and have to accept good will from others, already lost everything. They have hit bottom. The only place for them to go is up.

As for being rude in my comments? If you cannot handle the heat, then get out of the kitchen.

On a different side of the coin- get over yourself. If you find my statements rude, it is because of you, not because the comments are demeaning or insulting. It is how you view them, and the first problem is the ego is always in the way, when truth hurts. So please.

1. profile image0

We write our characters in our words - and you have done a pretty transparent job on yourself with these.

You clearly have a strange idea about dignity. Poor people are not animals or objects of pity - they are human beings that society has little use for.  Only people who debase themselves are without dignity.

Often dignity is all they have left, and you seem to want to take that from them as if it were some commodity in exchange for your gifts.

Not exactly sure what your intention is with this statement.
                    That society has little use for? WOW! You are right, they are not to be pitied, you are suppose to have compassion for their lack of ability to provide for themselves.
                    Well, I guess that rules out dignity within approximately 4 billion people.
                    You are giving their dignity value where there is none. How ridiculous is that? Don't bother. You cannot see anything outside yourself. Go figure. hmm

2. Sab Oh profile image55
                    Sab Ohposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You said this:

"We write our characters in our words"

Then you said this:

" they are human beings that society has little use for"

*ahem*

2. Aficionada profile image78
        Aficionadaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This resonates with Maimonides' eight degrees of charity ("Laws of Gifts to the Poor," 1180 C.E.).  The lowest "degree" is when the donor gives "morosely" (resentfully, grudgingly). 

"The highest degree, exceeded by none, is that of a person who assists a poor Jew by providing him with a gift or a loan or by accepting him into a business partnership or by helping him find employment — in a word, by putting him where he can dispense with other people's aid."

In between there are several degrees, including the possibility of either the giver or the recipient remaining anonymous.

Google it, or check out (among other possible references): http: //www.answers. com/topic/charity or http: //www.mainehumanities. org/programs/philanthropy_reading.html

with spaces removed, of course.

3. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 13 years ago

So  true Cagsil smile why not start your own organisation doing just that? Etauntontv smile

cool tongue wink

4. SomewayOuttaHere profile image59
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

I work with families living in poverty and people suffering from mental health issues.  I routinely get faith based groups involved by basically telling them what people living in poverty need, they gather it from parishoners/followers and deliver it to where I work and then we distribute it.  This all done with the understanding that the organization I am with is not faith based.  I work with muslim, christian, protestant, catholic and jewish groups.  It's taken me a while to build up those connections however.  The other trick is to never discuss religious beliefs smile.  Those groups basically have the same goal - helping those living in poverty.

In Canada in the past few years those continuing to give the most towards issues of poverty have been faith based groups; people attend their church, jamatkhana or whatever faith based gathering place regularly and give regularly (not just annually).  That is a key factor - regular and ongoing giving.  Charities have been experiencing huge decreases in relation to donations; however faith based groups' methods of raising funds has actually risen and has not been impacted by the economic downturn because their followers gather regularly - they don't stop.  These days too, many followers would rather just write a cheque; giving money is easier than gathering up goods to donate and delivering them.

Getting faith based groups involved can make a difference; I just direct the giving in a way that people do not feel they must sign on to someone's belief to get help.

My 2 cents...

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Only 2 cents? That is really good value. I think you have covered it. smile

2. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

what a great post cheers big_smile

3. profile image0
      karmaaposted 13 years ago

I suppose [and really new]
      I would call poor people
      poor people

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image59
        SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

dignity...hmmmm...there can be many interpretations of dignity.

I believe, people living in poverty do retain their dignity....why not...they may not have a lot of money and material things but since when does dignity equate to money or possessions.  one example, most people that are down on their luck do not resort to criminal activity out of desperation - their dignity (self-respect) for themselves would not allow them to do that.

A big role groups like the one I work with play, is to not judge and to treat people with the dignity and the respect they deserve.  We run into people from time to time that want to donate directly because they of course feel good about it; some want to see who the person is they are helping...but we don't allow that because we are helping people protect their dignity.  We are all just people, sometimes needing a hand up, and we are not on display for others to feel good about giving....

When we become aware of others needing help but they are too afraid to ask, we go to them, very privately however....always with their dignity in mind.

1. profile image0

Sounds like a good setup - good luck to you and them!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
        Necessary
        HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
        LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
        Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
        AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
        HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
        HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
        Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
        CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
        Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
        Features
        Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
        Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
        Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
        Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
        Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
        VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
        PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
        Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
        MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
        Marketing
        Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
        Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
        Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
        Statistics
        Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
        ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
        Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
        ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)