Personal Independence

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)
  1. vrbmft profile image74
    vrbmftposted 13 years ago

So what does being independent mean to you?  Does it mean the same as equality?  How do you practice being an independent person concretely in your day to day life?  Do you invite the people you love to also experience their independence?  Do you know how to shift from independence in a relationship to interdependence?

For me these are good questions which I ask myself a lot, but it is humbling to acknowledge how I sometimes interpret independence as being righteous, proud, and stubborn!  I am often afraid to shift into interdependence in a relationship in fear of losing my independence which will not happen if it is true interdependence, but the fear keeps me from having richer relationships at times.  So how aabout for yourself?

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Freedom to do what I want when I want, achieved by my own power/effort.
      Equality is a given if you are a U.S. citizen. I wrote a hub about it.
      Being an independent person is based on your sole ability to be responsible for every aspect of your life, without help. It is not something practiced. The status is a self-realization of oneself situation/circumstances and how it came to be.
      Extended that hand once, and it was rejected.
      There is no need for such a shift. Relationships, usually best built on friendships, find common-ground among life views. Independence is not something that needs to be lost in a relationship
      Being independent is and has nothing to do with being righteous, whatsoever. Righteousness is a superiority complex, filled by one's ego. I can understand a person who is independent, being proud. It is because they will have a good self-esteem and a very high level of self-confidence. But, it doesn't mean they are selfish or greedy or egotistical. They are confident in their ability to wade through Sh!t, and come out smelling like a rose.
      Well, I have only one thing to say about your above statement- You are your own obstacle. smile

1. vrbmft profile image74
        vrbmftposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the input and feedback.  I have that thought myself, sometimes, that I am my own obstacle!

2. ilmdamaily profile image68
      ilmdamailyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely not. And I didn't realise it until you put it like that. Thanks for making me see my own blind spot:-)

2. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

In order to achieve true Interdependence you must first reach Independence and then be able to think and have a Win-Win attitude.  Then seek first to understand then to be understood so you can achieve synergy (a positive energy that allows each member to reach beyond the limits of their abilities) and then continue the cycle by living in a constant state of Renewal.

As for me?  Win-Win situations are extremely hard to find....

1. Rafini profile image82
      Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh, I forgot to answer the questions!  LOL

Independence...to me it means not relying on someone else - for my own happiness, for my thoughts, for my beliefs, for my principals, or for my lifestyle.  I am perfectly capable of deciding for myself, I am certainly able to make my own choices.  I don't need anyone else for these things - this makes me independent.

Independence and equality are not the same thing.  Independence is based on the personal while equality relies on there being others for comparison.

Independence in an interdependent relationship can only be possible if both people in the relationship think Win-Win.  (whether personal, professional, or social...)  Otherwise the relationship will be doomed.

2. vrbmft profile image74
      vrbmftposted 13 years agoin reply to this

All that you posted is good stuff!  I got to thinking about the Fourth and how we think of independence politically and even there, forgetting that the forefathers were so conflicted that they were not really declaring independence for everyone, but only the white guys.  Women weren't even included.  So I started thinking just what independence means to me beyond politics.  I am also intrigued by interdependence.  So thanks for stopping by and contributing to the discussion.

3. donotfear profile image82
    donotfearposted 13 years ago

Independence means feeling happy with yourself without needing others approval in order to acheive fulfillment.   The opposite of independence would be, in my interpretation, codependence.

4. cblogg profile image60
    cbloggposted 13 years ago

Independence to me is being able to depend on yourself for everything, to know that you can look after yourself and that you are strong enough to make decisions regarding your future, hard or soft. It doesn't mean that you cannot ask for help, or have others supporting you, it just means you think for yourself and take responsibility for yourself. I am extremely independant but I also have a good family that I rely on. So I guess its an individual thing. I think 'donotfear' had a great answer as well. I agree totally with her.

5. Tony6223 profile image59
    Tony6223posted 6 years ago

Independence...
    There is a lot to say about this like the others before me which I have read through and I want to thank you.
    But to me, independence is more than not having to rely on someone for things in life. It’s more of a sense of knowing where you belong. What you can do on your own and knowing how to do certain things by yourself is great. It’s a good start to knowing how to deal with life’s tragedies and mishaps as well as the good things that follow. Thinking now, being independent is also realizing what you can live without. That PlayStation, the thousand dollar iPhone X, the really expensive vehicle parked outside; that’s all just stuff you don’t need to have to get by. I’ve alsays thought to myself, ”if those before me could do it, why can’t I?“. It’s not exactly a good motto to live by but there is so much behind it. The people that lived before us were primitive compared to today’s technology and it’s always been a race to see who can come up with the best what. It’s somewhat redundant because it’s making us super dependent on what we don’t need.
    I have a little twist on what I think independence means. It means you don’t need things or people to make you who you are. You need your own self control and discipline to know what’s better for you to live your life happy and stress free.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)