Smartass hubbers if I wanted smartass comments I'd go back to teaching

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (41 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Gracie Sophiaposted 13 years ago

I'm sure this comment will bring out all the smartass hubbers.
    And I'm sure you will all visit me with more smartass comments.
    Well, I'll just count how many of you are out in hubberland then I will go on with my day.

1. TruthDebater profile image54
      TruthDebaterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You might have to after they ban you. Why are you so upset? You should be able to control yourself if you expect others to control themselves commenting to your questions. You are clearly showing lack of control. thanks

1. profile image0
        Gracie Sophiaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I like to go right to the heart of the matter and talk itout  then solve it.  Life is too short to entertain the comments of nasty people who use hurtful words to be intentionally unkind.

1. TMMason profile image60
          TMMasonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

unfortunately... you may have to get used to it.

And no that isn't a smart ass remark.

Just an observation of things.

1. profile image0

Thank you. I agree with you. I had different expectations when I considered being a hubber and I researched the Internet for pros and cons. I keep expecting all people to treat all people with respect even when differences arise. My sense of fairness and justice is huge. Your are right on. I will ignore nasty comments.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
              Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Gracie, if you keep out of the political and religious forums, you'll find lots of friendly and helpful Hubbers.

The HubPages forum is not the main function of HubPages.  HubPages is a place to write.  The forum is a place to network with other Hubbers and learn from each other.  The political and religious threads are irrelevant to that endeavour,and are haunted by belligerent people with more interest in arguing than writing.

1. profile image0

Thanks for sharing this comment. I am new to hubbing and Internet communication. Your encouragment is appreciated,

1. Chaotic Chica profile image60
                  Chaotic Chicaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I believe Marisa Wright summed it up very nicely.  There are a lot of people here who do appreciate intelligent banter and will comment appropriately but there are also others who don't.  Utilizing the feature that allows only approved comments to be published does a world of good in monitoring those who would rather sling unsults than offer constructive critizism or debate-team style responses.  And steering clear of hot-button forum topics also helps.  Some people feel a need to rile others and it is hardly conducive to a positive, productive writing environment.  Welcom to HubPages, by the way.  I hope you stay and make a go of it!

2. TruthDebater profile image54
          TruthDebaterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Mostly all I have seen are controversial questions with no solutions from yourself. If you ask controversial questions, there will be controversy. TM is right, you have to have a tough shell in the forums, it is an ocean of sharks. thanks

1. profile image0

Thank you. I like to ask and discuss the hard issues in life. I like to listen to other's debate so I can learn more, but I like respectful debate.

3. psycheskinner profile image84
          psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are not only entertaining the comments, but courting and encouraging them.

1. profile image0

Yes. I can see that now. Do-over would be to ignore nastiness and go on with my goal and purpose for signing up with hubpages and staying out of the hot button forums. I allowed myself to over react.

2. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's bringing out the hubbers who want to ask "why are you posting a thread that almost DEMANDS a negative response"?  (Well, that's what this hubber is asking anyway.)

1. profile image0

Well, I guess I wanted some encouragement from others. My feelings were hurt and so I reacted. Thank you for this honest question.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
          psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You have also been a member of this particular community for all of two days.  perhaps you should observe a bit more to see how things work and what people here really want and need before trying to take on a leadership role?

3. Marisa Wright profile image86

Gracie, I haven't seen the threads you're talking about.  However, you can set the comments capsules in your Hubs so that you moderate comments before they appear.  That way you can just delete rude comments and no one will ever see them - that soon takes the wind out of the sails of the serial commenter.

1. profile image0

Thanks! I do not know this. I will read about how to do this. You, my dear, have helped solve this problem. Many thanks!

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

Gracie, the other thing I would say is - you need to read a few Hubs by experienced Hubbers to understand what writing here is about.

Hubs are not blog posts - they are informative, magazine-style articles.  I was surprised you had written 34 Hubs in only two days and I can see why, because they are nowhere near adequately developed. You can obviously write, so you should have no trouble creating some good Hubs.

1. profile image0

Marisa: Thanks for the feedback. You are right on. I have been posting my creative writing pieces because I'm taking a short vacation from my dissertation and research. Perhaps I will rethink whether hubbing is what I need to do in this season. Thanks so much!

4. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

you just gained a new fan
      cheers
      kimberly

1. profile image0
        kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

oops guess not Gracie no longer exists
        *oh sigh*
        wink

2. Len Cannon profile image87
    Len Cannonposted 13 years ago

Ironically, if I wanted to listen to petulant crying, I would go back to babysitting.

1. profile image0

Now that is a funny comment. That is what I call appropriate humor. Thanks Len.

3. ATC UK profile image62
    ATC UKposted 13 years ago

Gracie Sophia

I think you should try and cool it a bit.  You are being overly agressive just because people do not respond in the way you want them to and you have gone into 'child mode'. You may be annoying other people - but you're making yourself unhappy and there's no need to be. Reflect on what other people are saying, ignore it all if you choose but then move on.

1. profile image0

Yes. I agree with you. I have checked my motives and they were on target in why I chose to write what I wrote on the forum feeds. I am now calm and ready to move on. I will think about whether being a hubber is what I need to do right now or if I need to do something else with my writing and communicating. Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate blunt but respectful feedback.

4. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

I imagine this is because I've written very few things anyone would see as controversial, and because I usually stay out of the politics and religion forums; but I have to say in all the time I've been on HubPages, I've run into very, very, few nasty/rude comments either in responses on the forums or on my Hubs.  I've seen a lot of "wise-acre" (remember that term?) remarks made to other people; and a good part of the time I find them funny.  If comments are really bad someone can either refuse to accept them on a Hub or ignore whoever made them on the forums.  A good part of the time if someone does come back with a "wise acre" remark aimed at me, it's often their way of being funny.

So, I don't know....   Unless comments are really, really, extreme (like threats or something along those lines), I don't really see rude comments as having to be a huge problem for anyone.  To me, if someone makes a rude comment any of us can either choose to use our wit and ability to win a debate to give it back to the person better than he gave (and without violating HubPages rules, to boot); or we can see it for what is - Internet foolishness that isn't worth thinking about - and ignoring it.  Either way, we win.

Sometimes if anyone went through the forums he'd be under the impression that HubPages is a "big disaster area" full of nothing but conflict.  It isn't (or at least it doesn't have to be if people know not to think they're ever going to start a forum discussion on something controversial and not get "smart" remarks back). An alternative for the person who wants/needs to discuss controversial things might be to write a Hub (or several) and shut off the comment blocks.  smile   (I'm not "blaming the victim" here - just pointing out that HubPages is an overall positive site/community, and there are things we can all do to avoid the stuff we don't want coming in our direction.)

1. profile image0

Thank you so much for your words. I just deleted all my pages and I just signed out of hubpages. Maybe in the future, I will return. Thanks to all the kind writers who responded with respectful feedback! Best of luck to you!

5. CYBERSUPE profile image60
    CYBERSUPEposted 13 years ago

To bad you feel as you do. Hope a little break may renew you energy to return to HubPages. You received a lot of excellent advice from Marisa Wright, a respected Hubber, so take heed. May God Bless You !

1. LarasMama profile image59
      LarasMamaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Honestly - you'll never get far as a writer unless you can take a load of crap. And then more crap. Then told you need to re-edit. Then change half of it. Then the part you worked on really hard is actually incorrect....

The more worth it something is, the longer it takes to achieve. Nothing happens overnight.

6. Sunny_S profile image61
    Sunny_Sposted 13 years ago

True saying LarasMama. Just take the crap they throw at you and keep on doing what your doing, your obviously getting noticed. Gotta love the haters.

7. liljen23 profile image75
    liljen23posted 13 years ago

I love any kind of comments bad or good because I know in the long run I will still be me and I will keep on writing. You just have to  keep on striving for the best..

8. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 13 years ago

Gracie,

Don't let the negative comments get to you, if they are an annoyance you can always deny them. smile I normally keep them all unless it is pure ignorance but our hubs are an open opportunity to others to discuss there thoughts. Publish your hubs again if you have not already did it and let it roll off of your back. smile Keep writing! smile

1. Beelzedad profile image58
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Here's what I received when I clicked on her name:

"Sorry that user no longer exists"  sad

9. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years ago

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/attachments/boat-building/5739d1144553679-high-density-river-silt-mud-dredger-smart-ass.jpg

1. Michael Willis profile image67
      Michael Willisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ron...where did you ever find this pic?

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
        Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

self portrait

AH, looking very, um...smart there! I have an idea on how I can use that pic. lol

2. Ben Evans profile image64
      Ben Evansposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It looks like physical chemistry or thermodynamics.  But you know what?......Maybe C is for camel not specific heat.

This is classic I love it.

lol, I liked it so much that I saved it as my Desktop Display.

2. Beelzedad profile image58
        Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Differential equations for manifolds and ideal gases. smile

10. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years ago

http://www.bestglitter-graphics.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/goodluckforexam7.jpg

oops I hope that wasn't being a smart ass

All the best Gracie!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)