Saved by Obama

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (31 posts)
  1. theirishobserver. profile image60
    theirishobserver.posted 13 years ago

Good afternoon,

President Obama just returned from his fourth trip to the Gulf Coast region since the BP Oil Spill began in April. Tonight at 8 p.m. EDT, he will address the nation from the Oval Office on the oil spill and his Administration's plan to address this crisis going forward.

Immediately following the President's address, Press Secretary Robert Gibbs will take your questions on the oil spill and the Administration's ongoing response.

You don't have to wait until tonight to ask your question -- submit your question in video or text at YouTube.com/WhiteHouse and vote for the questions you want to see answered:

For the past two days, I've been travelling with President Obama along the Gulf Coast. We visited Gulfport, Mississippi, Theodore and Ft. Morgan, Alabama, and Pensacola, Florida.

Along the way we've met with National Incident Commander Admiral Thad Allen and state and local officials who have been working around the clock to coordinate the Federal, state and local response to this disaster.

We met with workers at a staging location in Theodore, Alabama who are fixing booms, decontaminating vessels and equipment and providing support for the ongoing cleanup efforts in the region.

And we met with local business owners who are worried not just about how the oil spill will affect their bottom line this year, but how it will affect their way of life that has been passed down for generations.

The BP Oil Spill in the Gulf of Mexico is already the largest environmental disaster our country has ever faced. Unlike an earthquake or hurricane, this crisis is not a single catastrophic event, but an ongoing assault on the Gulf Coast.

The clean up and recovery process will not happen overnight, but the Obama Administration will not rest until we've stopped the leak, contained and cleaned up the oil and restored the lives of those who live in the region. We will continue to hold BP accountable for the ongoing economic impact of this disaster. The President has demanded that BP and all responsible parties pay legitimate claims of economic damages to residents and businesses affected by the oil spill quickly and fairly.

You can track our progress here:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/deepwater-bp-oil-spill/

I hope you'll tune in tonight at 8:00 PM EDT to watch the President's address. And don't forget to submit your questions for Press Secretary Robert Gibbs at YouTube.com/WhiteHouse.

Sincerely,

Carol Browner
    Assistant to the President for Energy and Climate Change

1. Reality Bytes profile image75
      Reality Bytesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The question is how many rounds of golf did he get in and what was his handicap.  Oh and did Barry and Michelle get a date night and a private concert eating $100.00 a pound Kobe beef.

C'mon America have some priorities.

Nero plays while Rome burns!

2. angel115707 profile image61
      angel115707posted 13 years agoin reply to this

following him around doesn't save anything, explain how BP is the top endorser of his campaign how the chemicals at hand to stop the spill, were refused until the chemicals that were politically tied to the administration financially got there, explain how they were repeatedly warned of the dangers but let it blow as obama needed to pass an eco reform....explain how the head stock holders dropped their stock, weeks before it exploded...if you think we are all morons...think again, you may have flown around a bit to put on a show, but I live down here.....we are little pawns in the political agenda and who cares if we die, our oil workers blow up, or our fisherman are poisoned, right? at least you got your funding?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNW0lkjTxAQ

1. Doug Hughes profile image60
        Doug Hughesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thare's a LOT of unsubstantiated rant here.

There are NO chemicals that will stop the spill. None.

Cheicals that were being spread intitially, called dispersants, attach to the oil, brek it down so it doesn't float, and the oil and chamical sinks to the bottom. The problem is, the chemical is toxic and questions were (properly) asked, how much of that crap are you planning on dumping in the gulf and what options (less toxic, more expensive) are available.

The eco reform has been in the works for months and months. The spill may derail the passage and it was an embarassment to the admin as they had just suggested opening UP drilling in the Gulf to attract GOP votes in the Senate.

The administration strongarmed BP for 20 BILLION dollars for aid to folks on the Gulf.  I live on the Gulf  - I hate this, too.  It would be nice if politics went away when the Deepwater Whorizon sunk. Big oil is trying  to leverage this disaster into opening up ANWAR.  Obama is pushing back and trying to get a bill passed that willl reduce our dependance on foreign oil and reduce global warming.  So, yes, the politics continues, but Obama is on your side and you need to figure that out.

1. JON EWALL profile image59
          JON EWALLposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Doug Hughes
          You said ‘’Obama is pushing back and trying to get a bill passed that will reduce our dependence on foreign oil and reduce global warming. So, yes, the politics continues, but Obama is on your side and you need to figure that out.’’

Sounds like Pelosi saying ‘’to extend unemployment benefits is to stimulate the economy ‘’ and ‘’ we need to pass the bill so that we can find out what’s in it ‘’.
          Where is Barak Obama? He is on the road pushing a new finance reform bill, cap and trade energy bill and in the process of suing Arizona for their SB 1070 legislation. For all those who don’t understand both of the bills that he is pushing, if approved the government will have 60% control of the economy and  also increase unemployment.

If the US don’t pump our own oil, please explain how that takes us off reducing our need for foreign oil. I guess it’s better for this administration to send our jobs overseas to Brazil and the George Soris‘s group. Some say that the Obama moratorium is costing the  gulf area some  100,000 jobs.
          Obama is on our side, really.
          What bill are you talking about? Is it cap and trade ? Well if that bill is passed it will cost the economy more lost jobs and energy prices will go higher.

The Democrat congress is holding up releasing permits to drill in 500 feet of water, this disaster could have been taken care of in a week. After some 80 days, Obama decided to accept help from other countries. The horse has already left the barn and now he decides to close the door.( pardon the pun ).

Jan of 2007 unemployment was 4.6% when this Democrat Congress took over. Today with total control of the government  ( Democrat majority in both houses and the Presidency ) unemployment is 9.7%.
          Just how smart are these guys we elected, they surely don’t know how to run the economy and create jobs.

1. Strophios profile image61
            Strophiosposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Citation needed! All over the place I see people bandying about these numbers: "60% control of the economy" and or "increase in unemployment" and I have yet to see a single piece of evidence for either of them. (You also realize that extending unemployment benefits does stimulate the economy. See, if the unemployed have no money, they can't buy anything, and if they can't buy anything, the economy suffers. If they can, that's a good thing.)

See, the idea is to remove our dependence on foreign oil by, at the same time, moving forward environmentally and technologically. Removing our dependence on foreign oil is arguably a good in itself, but not nearly as good as switching to renewable sources, for a variety of reasons, which I can go into if you so desire.
            Also, cap and trade will only do what you say it will if the energy companies' sole response is to cut jobs and raise prices. That is certainly one possible response; but it is the opposite of the supposed impulse of the free-market, which would be towards innovation. That is to say, as many so many free-market fundies do, that the market will produce a solution, responding to the (now) increased costs of traditional energy.
            And again, citation on that job number please.

That's just not true. BP as ably demonstrated (roughly the only thing they've ably done thus far) that the spill could not be dealt with in a week, nor even two months. See, no matter how fast congress "releas[es] permits" it still takes time to drill a relief well. That won't change.

Nothing in that above statement (except possibly the figures themselves) is true, and what is true is not meaningful. I'll show you how:

"Jan of 2007 unemployment was 4.6% when this Democrat Congress took over."
            Yes, that was before the economic crisis hit.

"Today with total control of the government  ( Democrat majority in both houses and the Presidency ) unemployment is 9.7%."
            Yes, and that is after the economic crisis hit. You also fail to mention that it is after the much higher rates of unemployment which preceded the action taken by the aforementioned democratic congress (and also President Obama).

"Just how smart are these guys we elected, they surely don’t know how to run the economy and create jobs."
            Actually, we are now gaining jobs, partly due to the effect of the stimulus. See:
            "The Congressional Budget Office said in May that as of the end of the first quarter of 2010 the Recovery Act has “[i]ncreased the number of people employed by between 1.2 million and 2.8 million,” raised inflation adjusted GDP “by between 1.7 percent and 4.2 percent,” and lowered the unemployment rate. So there have been positive trends in terms of the unemployment rate and GDP growth since Obama took office, and according to Boehner, the President “owns” that trend:" from http://thinkprogress.org/2010/07/01/boe … s-one-job/
            and the attendant graph: http://www.speaker.gov/blog/?p=2312

So yeah. I think the takeaway lessons here are twofold: First, cite sources. Second, you're wrong.

3. eovery profile image60
      eoveryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wow, this floored me to find this on hubpages.

2. lovemychris profile image76
    lovemychrisposted 13 years ago

"Immediately following the President's address,"

The slamming, bashing and derision begins.

Make sure to tune in to the Beck Circus to see a detailed chalk-board analysis on why president Obama is a stupid idiot whom you moron Americans voted for.
    Along with a detailed analysis on why we are morons, and why he, Glenn Beck walks on water.

And tune in to see Hannity snarkisms about how all of this is all Obama's fault.
    Then watch as the Fox network stands and salutes Dickles Cheney as his daughter bows in reverance.

The NBC football music plays as Cheney walks down the aisle in his crown, waving to the crowd of Russsshhhhh lovers screaming 2012  2012.

Meanwhile, Halliburton walks. They poured the concrete on that busted rig.
    Beck will explain why that doesn't matter. Palin will show her new boobs and wink.Bachmann will ask for more money, and a shrine will be built in W's honor.

Chanting: "it's all Obama's fault, it's all Obama's fault, it's all Obama's fault", they retreat to their mansions.
    Job well done for the Rigthy Brigade.

1. leeberttea profile image56
      leebertteaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Listenining to the President last night all I heard was his uninformed dreams that would all come true if only we support his push to crush the middle class with new energy taxes all while denying us access to the.cheap energy that is available right here. The Obama government lacks any common sense.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image64
        Ralph Deedsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's ancient history. The southern white racist Democrats have all long since been replaced by Republicans thanks to Nixon's and Reagan's "southern strategy." Blacks understand this and more than 95% vote Democrat.

So, what's your point, Angel?

1. Sab Oh profile image55
          Sab Ohposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"more than 95% vote Democrat"

You mentioned "strategy"? roll

3. salt profile image59
    saltposted 13 years ago

Firstly, its a pretty big oil spill. BHP should be ashamed of  making such a huge environmental disaster. Secondly, I think there is a change in the way governments globally are going to deal with companies who damage the environment. Changes to mineral taxes in australia seem to be a reflection of this. Although, the notes Ive read have not really explained the exact percentage of tax to be paid effectively by the companies.

It could be an interesting step in government and business taxation for developed countries.

The oil spill is showing how we are beginning to expect corporations to take responsibility, to make the effort that they have avoided doing for many years.

4. theirishobserver. profile image60

WOW - wide range of responces there smile

5. tobey100 profile image60
    tobey100posted 13 years ago

Obama sought to accomplish one thing last night and that was to raise his approval numbers.  We all know the best way to do that is to bash an oil company.  He didn't say a thing of substance except to make more promises he has no clue how to keep (very similar to all his other promises, by the way.  Remember when he said if we hurry and pass TARP unemployment won't rise above 8% ?)  Obama couldn't kick his own ass if someone held it out in front of him at knee level.  Isn't he afraid his tough talk is going to alienate people?  That's what he said about Bush's tough talk after 9/11.  The man's an incompetent joke.  While you're praising this Messiah, can you explain his new council on lifestyle behavior modification to us and how its any of his business what I eat or if I exercise?  Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.  Obama's finding that people aren't buying what he's selling anymore.

6. theirishobserver. profile image60

tobey - great to get your comments on this subject smile

1. tobey100 profile image60
      tobey100posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Didn't want to offend but I'm not buying the hype.  Too much verifiable information has already surfaced demonstrating this administrations incompetence.  Rejected assistance, lack of support, red tape, all while the oil moved closer and closer to shore.  I have no faith in the Obama administration based on their track record alone.  The man's a great compaigner but a lousy leader.  BP is liable for all that's happened but Obama can't set back and act like he's a spectator.  His administration gave this rig an award a year ago and now they chew on BP like a dog on a bone.  He halts drilling in the gulf which will cost an extimated 40,000 jobs.  When a car is involved in an accident do we stop building cars?  What about airplanes?  I'm sorry but I honestly believe Obama sees this as nothing more than an opportunity for him to push Cap and Trade.

7. Reality Bytes profile image75
    Reality Bytesposted 13 years ago

Napolitano listening eagerly to Obama's speech!

http://friskaliberal.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/funny-janet-sleeping-small.jpg

"Now tell me I am not sexier then Sarah with a gun at least to LGBT members"  Janat Napolitano
    http://biggovernment.com/files/2010/03/napolitano.jpg

I can see Mexico from my house!

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL
      Just now saw this.
      Now that's funny! smile

2. eovery profile image60
      eoveryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is funny!

8. theirishobserver. profile image60

excellent smile

9. JON EWALL profile image59
    JON EWALLposted 13 years ago

Hubbers

It was reported that drilling in the gulf has been going on for 60 years. Some 50,000 wells have been drilled . Some in deeper water then the deepwater horizon (5,000 feet ).
    The safety factor of 98.9% is where the record stands.
    There are 33 rigs drilling for oil in the gulf employing some 65,000 workers and many other support businesses supplying the rig platforms.
    The moratorium was collapsing the industry and the loss of revenue to the treasury, states and businesses would be disastrous for the region.
    The judge ruled that the government’s reasons were insufficient to shut down all oil drilling since the government had issued permits , had inspected the rigs for safety and found that the rigs were in compliance .The president promised jobs if elected, to lose 65,000 more jobs on top of the 14 million others would further complicate the economy.
    The president is way over his head in the matter and his incompetence, inexperience and arrogance has surfaced. President Obama’s refusal to accept aid from other countries at the start of the problem and other necessary actions , needing hands on control by the president were not available
    Shamefully he has decided to fight the federal judge's decision and his decision to file another moratorium is irresponsible in these troubled times.
    The Obama administration approved a $ 2 billion loan to a Brazilian oil company to drill for offshore oil in Brazil that would create jobs in Brazil. It was reported that one of Obama’s campaign donors purchased $ 900 million in stock of that company. Coincidence or simply taking care of friends and associates. If a moratorium was reinstated, many of the rigs would leave the gulf for other parts of the world. One destination was the waters off Brazil.
    Check it out on foxnews.com 6/21/10 Glen Beck expose of the connections and reasons maybe why Obama has pushed to hurt the US economy.

1. lovemychris profile image76
      lovemychrisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

BUNK! Why doesn't he expose 9/11 if he's such a great investigative mind? Does he believe that psy-op story?  Then he's an idiot just like it he comes across!

3,000 Americans murdered. Short-selling of stocks on the stock market, people getting rich. The beginning of the give-away of hard-fought freedoms....
      Does that mean nothing  to Beckles the investigator?? Oh that's right...it was a Republican administration.....they can do no wrong!!!

My bad. Sorry--forgot we are dealing with a partisan Hack.

roll

ok, so the fact that terrorists have been training here long before Bush, doesn't matter to you?  Allah Akbar screaming as they kill people? family members could here the voices of their loved ones fighting these terrorists, that wasn't staged, and Osama let me guess we paid him??? gee I guess the taliban was right, Americans are stupid, and your doing exactly what they told you to do!! who cares if 3,000 people were slaughtered by terrorists, the victims families know what happened..... but you would rather bring politics into 911?? boy you are low...go to a victims family members face and tell them this BS...no I didn't think so, surely you can't keep sinking that low.

10. MikeNV profile image68
    MikeNVposted 13 years ago

First Obama is for drilling, now he's going to shut the entire industry down.

The problem isn't drilling... the problem is incompetency and lax regulation.

If there is an Airliner that crashes should we shut down the Entire Airline Industry?  Think about that.

What do they do?  The investigate and they make precautions to avoid future crashes.

Clearly this spill would not have happened if people would have just done what they were supposed to do in the first place.

But Obama's handling of the situation is pathetic.  They are turning away help from experts outside the country so as to not expose their incompetency.

And they are not about to blow up a well that is producing.  Who cares about the Environment as long as we can keep getting some of the oil out of the well.

Next Obama will use this in his Cap and Tax scheme.  The guise will be how important alternative energy is... and we must cap and tax to protect ourselves.

How much C02 exactly is spewing from the Well?  Is it C02 that is coating the marine life.

Blah!

If Obama cared at all about the American People he would put an action plan in place that was more than just sitting around waiting for people to file claims while BP keeps doing whatever the hell they want.

There will be no alternative energy in this country until every last drop of oil is tapped... because MONEY is what drives ALL decisions... and Oil is cheap, profitable, and still plentiful.

And OIL is what is needed to produce all the plastic consumer junk the people want to buy.

But YOU would never sink so low as to buy "plastic consumer junk," right?

11. theirishobserver. profile image60

Al Gore would know how to use the Oil smile

1. Reality Bytes profile image75
      Reality Bytesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know this was posted a few days ago but according to recent headlines I must say  Bazzziiiiinnnggg!!!

2. Sab Oh profile image55

Hot oil massage?

12. theirishobserver. profile image60

Strong Dollar - good value if you come to Ireland for Holidays smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)