where should I put this?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Ben Peck profile image60
    Ben Peckposted 13 years ago

what do you think?

also where should I put this?
    Is it literature, or and article.

And do I need to reference it.

Many thanks

http://hubpages.com/hub/Bastille-Day-wh … elebrating

2. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

I think you have put it in the right category:  Holidays and Celebrations> European Holidays> France Holidays.

It's a very interesting article; I'm really glad you wrote it and asked about it here (and glad that I read it).  Many of us get carried away by glib, short answers about that period of history.

Since your question appeared here in Extreme Hub Makeover, I would like to offer the suggestion that you do a little bit of polishing on sentence structure.  There are several run-on sentences that would be improved by better wording and punctuation.  Also, please notice that "lead" is not the past tense of "lead," even though a lot of people nowadays make the same slip.  The correct spelling is "led."

In answer to the question about whether you should reference it, you can always give links to other well-written, informative Hubs about the subject, and you can also mention books that you have read or other sources of information.

Ben Peckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for replying.

Thanks for the suggestion on polishing,
      I'm always trying to improve my English, but with no formal education, I can make slips and I like to be pulled on them.

I did not know that about 'led' so, thank you, I will look at my punctuation as well.

When you say run-on sentences, do you men that they feel that they are open and not quite finished?

sorry,                                                            mean

3. profile image0
    Precious Williamsposted 13 years ago

Hi Ben
    I enjoyed reading it as well.  As you said you do have an issue with your sentence structure.  You're rather like me and tend to write some very long sentences when you should clearly be using a full stop.  I don't have the excuse of no formal education. As Alficionada has mentioned it would be great if you added some interesting links to it.

Thank you

links to other hubs that have been written on the same subject? or links to other sites on the same subject?

Which is best?

4. Aficionada profile image79

I think you want to link first of all to other Hubs on the same subject, as long as they are well-written.  We don't really want to send readers off to other sites without showing them what we offer first.  If you don't find any Hubs related to the topic and you do want to add links outside of HubPages, it's best to do that at the end of the article, so that the reader stays here as long as possible.

I'm still new enough with all of this that I am still trying to catch up on the subject of linking in general. Still, I do believe that a link to a very good resource outside of HubPages is valuable, but it would be more valuable for the other writer than for you (unless you are the author of the other article, in which case it's a win-win).  I hope other Hubbers will comment and expand on this.

(Grammar suggestions coming up shortly)

Thank you.

5. Aficionada profile image79

A "run-on sentence" is an old term for several sentences that are jumbled together without appropriate connectors such as and, but, etc., or punctuation such as a semicolon.  One example of a run-on sentence in your Hub (the second of these sentences):

A couple of different ways this could be improved would be:

and

Another (different) type of error is in the following example:

In this case, the second sentence begins with a phrase referring back to the first sentence, but because of its placement it should technically refer to the new subject "confidence."  One way to upgrade these two sentences would be:

Another possibility would be:

You can see that sometimes a very small change is all it takes to make a sentence better.  You are a good writer (better than some other Hubbers, in fact), and you have presented some very interesting material in a compelling way. I'm sure that you will be able to pick up pointers throughout HubPages to keep improving your writing day by day.

Thanks for the advice.

I will look into it all  : -)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)