Mother in Law coming to visit...

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)
  1. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

I just found out that my mother in law will be visiting for nearly two weeks next month.

Needless to say we have history - she's a control freak and we lived with her for nearly a year after our marriage - and broke up for awhile because of her...

I'm considering doing a hub on mother in laws!

Anyone else have an evil MIL or FIL?

1. KeithTax profile image72
      KeithTaxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You tell me how my MIL ranks:

Got along well for twenty years. Then, her son-in-law (my wife's oldest sister's second husband)sexually assaults my oldest daughter multiple times. The MIL sides with the pervert and even sues my wife for a return of gifts given in the past. My MIL told the court my duaghter was a slut at 10 years old and that she made up the assault allegations. Needless to say, my family no longer has contact with the MIL.

2. profile image0
      DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I lived with mine for nine months, while pregnant with our third child. My oldest was 3, the next was 6 months, when we found out baby three was on the way. It was hell, but I still don't think she is evil. She is a mother. She is not obligated to like me, I hope she does, but really. She gave birth to and raised my husband. I will only ever show her courtesy and kindess, and sometimes it is hard. The I think, she is just a person, like anyone else, with faults and insecurites, and someday I will be a mother in law.  A hub is a good idea, people will read it for sure!

2. andygrant profile image60
    andygrantposted 13 years ago

A hub on Mother in Laws is a great idea.

3. Pearldiver profile image69
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

That's a terrible thing to say... she's the mother of your partner and you should accept her unconditionally and not only should you respect your partner's wish to have her there, but also her age and position!

And after you've done that.. Leave town, leave a note on your door telling her that she is to blame for the infestation of african blanket ants in the house (from her last visit) and that you have asked the police to watch that no loiterers enter the property, as it has been sprayed for health and safety reasons and must remain vacate for the entire period of time that she planned to be there. (Maybe a good idea to tell your partner that you have ordered a pest controller).

4. Spacey Gracey profile image39
    Spacey Graceyposted 13 years ago

Poor you - I never see my mother-in-law. We can't even be in the same room. She constantly tells me I'm a bad mother because I take the kids to mum's coffee mornings (she loved her kids enough to stay home with them all day), because I send them to pre-school (how can I have them away from me for 2 hours a day), and because youngest son has health problems (her kids were never ill because they had so much good food, fresh air, exercise and love). She actually walked out on her kids when my husband was 11, his brother 10, and his sister was 8, so I do find it pretty hard to bite my tongue when she is telling me what a great mother she was.

If your m-i-l is worse than that then you have my deepest sympathies. If she isn't, then every time your m-i-l is driving you nuts, just imagine her being my m-i-l and that should make you giggle.

5. pisean282311 profile image62
    pisean282311posted 13 years ago

television industry in my country used to run of mother in law-daughter in law saga...guess this is global issue..take it to UN..

6. Lily Rose profile image85
    Lily Roseposted 13 years ago

I feel your pain...my in-laws are coming next week, but I'm okay with it now.

When I first met and started dating my husband I got along with her fine, but when we had our first child it went downhill.  She seems to think that she knows everything and tries to control everything...I could go on and on but I won't.  Suffice it to say that one day I had finally had it and I literally told her to "back off"; I'm happy to say that since then we have gotten along wonderfully...

I hope you survive her visit intact!

7. ngureco profile image80
    ngurecoposted 13 years ago

That’s how we human beings are. We share children with somebody’s daughter or son and still have the courage to say what we are saying here….

Now, I can see your hub on mother in laws will do very well here.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)