Involuntary Manslaughter Verdict for Oakland Police Shooting

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (18 posts)
  1. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 13 years ago

How do YOU feel about that?  Seemed like at least VOLUNTARY to me and now they're saying he will probably serve 5 years.  What kind of message does this give police in Oakland?  Man, I would not want to be there right now!

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

Was this a police man who got shot or someone who got shot by a police man?

1. Ron Montgomery profile image59
      Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Black man shot by white cop.  I hope Oakland is prepared for tonight.

2. mega1 profile image78
      mega1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

the white Oakland cop says he thought he was pulling out his tazer and instead pulled his gun - shot a 22 year old black guy in the back -  there were so many videos it isn't even funny - the videos show him taking lots of time and first handling his tazer then finally pulling his gun - looks so much like he reall knew what he was doing.  There will be riots I suppose, not that the do any good - and Oakland cops will be getting hazard pay for quite awhile I reckon.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image80

And a guy who said he accidentally did that would still be a cop?

Sounds like manslaughter is a bit laughable if you say there is so much video evidence.

4. mikelong profile image62
    mikelongposted 13 years ago

What a ridiculous verdict...  Another proof of institutionalized inequality of justice in our "modern" age..

5. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 13 years ago

so true - we have an inflated opinion of cops and that they can do no wrong, it seems.  There were no blacks on the jury, either! That's what will REALLY have people upset about this verdict I think.  Will this bring about some change in the machines of justice?  We all hope, but it doesn't look like it.

6. Uninvited Writer profile image80

This verdict really is indefensible.

7. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 13 years ago

I just saw a guy on tv in Oakland wearing a homemade T-shirt that says:  If You Want Peace, Work For Justice  - that says it all.

8. Bill Manning profile image70
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

There was a cop kneeling on the guy who was shot in the back. Which means the bullet came within inches of that cop. Do you really think he wanted to do that?

I know if I was the cop that was almost hit I would have filed charges myself. I really don't think he meant to pull his gun and thought it was his tazer.

It just does not make any sense for him to deliberately shoot the guy. There was people around him that saw this and again a fellow cop right on top of the guy.

Just makes no sense and I believe it was a mistake. I do think he was very stupid and deserves time in jail for his reckless actions, but I don't think he meant to shoot him.

1. mega1 profile image78
      mega1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

In Oakland a lot of things happen that don't make sense.  For decades the Oakland police force has really had free reign and terrorized the locals - not only people of color but all races know that the Oakland cops are never held accountable.  There have been many incidents, this is just the latest.  The police force there has been out of control for a long time.  Everyone is hoping that now national attention on the situation will help bring some justice there.   The videos of the incident show the cop touching his tazer several times and then going for the gun.  It really does not look like an accident.  There was a lot of racist verbiage going on from the cops to the black kids.  The kid was shot in the back.  He was unarmed.  You can see why people would feel this is a bad verdict.

One would hope that he did not mean to shoot Oscar, but only he knows in his soul what he intended to do.  One would hope that it will never happen again and that all police abuse in Oakland will be taken in hand and will end.

9. lovemychris profile image77
    lovemychrisposted 13 years ago

This system of "justice" is racist plain and simple.

Just rememebr this when Beck, Hannity and Limbaugh try to tell you that white people are victims in this society....
    That blacks now have the upper hand. It's a despicable lie. They are CIA psy-op.
    Same as Hoover did to MLK, and the FBI did to the original Black Panther movement.

10. mikelong profile image62
    mikelongposted 13 years ago

The guy who should be gone after more is Pirone....  I think it was this man who instigated and elevated the whole situation to this fatal level....

11. profile image0
    CuriousGposted 13 years ago

If I am wrong please tell me, however I do believe the police officer was hispanic not white.  But it should not be about black, white, asian, or any other race for that matter.  Why does everything resort to that? Personally I think it is a sad world we live in, and maybe if people of all races had common sense, police wouldn't have to be on egg shells all the time or even pull out their weapons or show force.  The police officer is no longer a police officer, he is going to jail, is that not enough for what appears to be an accident?  There have been many shootings, and when people resist arrest, or put them self in scenarios such as fleeing etc., there are always possibilities of police using force to get a situation under control.  The riots are ridiculous, and then if someone gets hurt during the riots, are they going to blame the police for that too?  I just don't understand people.  No one takes responsibilities for their own actions anymore, everyone is so quick to blame everyone else for anything and everything.  It's a sad scenerio for all invovled in this situation.

12. alternate poet profile image67
    alternate poetposted 13 years ago

Racism seems to be alive and well - this kinda answers the question of the previous thread about this issue, not the shooting itself but the ridiculous verdict.  The other issue is about the quality of the police when they automatically have both power and weapons.

13. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Not that it matters particularly, but..
    He was not an Oakland cop but a BART (transit system) cop.
    Not the kind of law enforcement agent -- even in Oakland -- for whom pulling a weapon is a routine occurrence.
    Obviously the jury considered the evidence (including all those videos shot on witness cell phones) and came to the conclusion that the shooting was not intentional.
    The sentencing will set off yet another firestorm in Oakland and surrounding areas.

This case is reminiscent of the Rodney King case years ago.
    No matter how you look at it, it's a giant tragedy, made all the more so because of its racial/racist overtones.

14. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

What I don't get is that he said he accidentally pulled out his gun instead of his taser. Why would you tase a guy lying face down with his hands behind his back? Especially with other officers there to back you up?

1. alternate poet profile image67
      alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Because he was black and so probably 'deserved' it ?   -   and before the wingnuts start up  - THIS IS AN IRONIC STATEMENT -

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)