what is hub and how to start a hub?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Rainbowgifts profile image60
    Rainbowgiftsposted 13 years ago

I am a newer,and I want to know what is hub and how to start it.

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Think of a hub as a freelance journalism article - on any topic you wish. Some topics get more traffic and more money than others.

http://learningcenter.hubpages.com/2-1- … -and-tags/

You can fill it with content such as text, pictures, videos, polls, news and more.

Read some other hubber's hubs on the topic - there are many good ones if you browse around.

2. profile image0
      RoyZwamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You can start a hub by first picking a topic.
      You can choose whatever you like, if you are a big fan of Michael Jackson for example, write a hub about him.
      You can write everything, from his hair color to your favorite song.
      From his song list to his family, seriously everything.

Like WryLilt said you can add text, pictures, polls etc.
      It's like an article for a house magazine.

Rainbowgiftsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks,RoyZwam.one more question,whether I can have hub only one or I cam have many hubs in future?

1. profile image0
          RoyZwamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You can make as many hubs as you want!

Rainbowgiftsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Understand.Thank you very much.

3. Lily Rose profile image87
      Lily Roseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Seriously?  I shouldn't even justify your request with an answer...do you not bother to read the TOS ot help pages to find out what a site is about before you join it?  You will not get any help here from the people "in the know" unless you can at least show that you've put some effort in to learning what HubPages is about on your own, then if you have technical questions there are plenty of great hubbers here that would be willing to help.

I think we all were in this position once, Lily Rose. I thought my first hub was a blog/profile of sorts and only wrote a few hundred words - about myself.

Fortunately the two nice hubbers who commented weren't scathing - they were very nice, welcomed me and led me in the right direction so I didn't get scared off too fast.

1. Bill Manning profile image69
          Bill Manningposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yup I did the same thing, wrote a nice intro all about myself for my first hub, thinking it was an "about me" page, lol!

2. Lily Rose profile image87

I'm sorry, but I beg to differ.  I do not want to start a confrontation, but I strongly feel that anyone who joins a site should do the initial legwork themselves - heck, your own profile says: "If you are new to hubpages I recommend you read quick guide to hubpages,..."  Sure, it links to your hub, but the point is that you recommend that new hubbers read a how to - how is that different from what I am saying?

Like I said previously, there are a lot of great hubbers here that are more than willing to help someone who asks relevant help questions - but I can tell you without a doubt that the best hubbers that help people here would agree with me. 

I had a lot of questions when I first started, too, and they were answered here in the forums, whether I asked the question of searched for a relevant forum thread; however, I took the time to read what Hubpages was about and I didn't ask a stupid question like "What is a hub and how do I make one?"

I guess after working in retail... you learn that the most cultured, intelligent looking person can ask very silly questions.  smile

3. Mrvoodoo profile image57
          Mrvoodooposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I couldn't agree more.  And there's no reason why the forums shouldn't be a new hubbers first port of call when trying to find answers.  And they will usually be pointed in the right direction when doing so.

If a hubber doesn't want to be helpful or feels that the question being asked is beneath them, then they are free to ignore it completely and move on.

1. Lily Rose profile image87

I agree with the forums being a great place to ask for help, but not the first place a new hubber should go to ask what a hub is! 

I never said that I was unwilling to be helpful, just that I expect someone asking for help to put a little effort into learning a little something before asking for help - it's not like there's any difficulty in doing a little reading to find out what a hub is, especially once you've joined the site.  And it's pretty obvious from the original poster's question that he/she has put no effort at all into educating himself...

Just review his posts here - he even asks if he can only have one hub or many more - seriously!

4. warchild75 profile image64
      warchild75posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Cant believe people have replied seriously to this!!

2. rmcrayne profile image92
    rmcrayneposted 13 years ago

I did my homework!  I read forum posts and 'how to' hubs for 4 or 5 weeks before I joined the site, and another week before I wrote my first hub.  I have never stopped reading. 

There may be a few nice and tolerant hubbers who will post a nice reply to such a 'tell me everything because I can't be bothered to do my homework' post. 

I must agree with Lily Rose in that the serious hubbers who can offer serious and valuable advice, are not going to bother. 

Why not ask for links to the best getting started resources?

1. Lily Rose profile image87

Thanks, Rose Mary - maybe Wrylilt just needed to hear it from someone else!  You said it better than I did!

Sorry still can't agree. I've come to the conclusion that you first assume every person is an idiot and allow them to upgrade their reputation from there. Obviously you two have a higher opinion of the average human's intellect!

3. Lily Rose profile image87
    Lily Roseposted 13 years ago

To automatically assume everyone is an idiot doesn't say much for your intellect, WryLilt.  I give people a chance, but if they prove to be idiots off the bat they do not get my vote.  I have very little tolerance for stupidity.

I'll say it again - if someone joins a website - VOLUNTARILY! - then they are solely responsible for getting off their own ass and figuring out what it's all about.  Only after they educate themselves, even a little bit, is it ok to ask for help here.  To ask people to do the work for you is plain stupid and that type of person has no place here amongst serious hubbers who have a clue.  There's a big difference between idiocy and ignorance; I'm not sure you realize this.

"It's better to remain silent and be thought of a fool then to speak up and remove all doubt."

4. Neil Ashworth profile image42
    Neil Ashworthposted 13 years ago

The most amusing and indeed sad part is how much time people have wasted arguing about whether or not to offer support - come on guys, get a life!

1. Mrvoodoo profile image57
      Mrvoodooposted 13 years agoin reply to this

^ Says the man who just wasted part of his own life resurrecting and commenting on an otherwise dead thread.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)