Well... It was inevitable...

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (26 posts)
  1. manlypoetryman profile image82
    manlypoetrymanposted 13 years ago

This reported through the local media today:

GALVESTON --Tar balls found Sunday on eastern Galveston Island were confirmed today as coming from the Gulf oil spill, according to the U.S. Coast Guard.

About a dozen tar balls that washed ashore on Crystal Beach were already identified Monday as oil from the BP well blowout in the Gulf of Mexico, the first evidence that oil from the spill has reached the Texas coastline.

I know this topic gets discussed to great ends...and sometimes we all need a breather...but chalk up more destruction of Gulf waters, beaches, and marshes. (There are protected marshlands: Just a little behind the Pennisula that Crystal Beach sits on...By Port Arthur...and to the West of Galveston.)

Won't you continue to post here...as yet another outlet on the internet...against this horrific man-made disaster?

2. Flightkeeper profile image65
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

Sorry to hear it manly, it almost feels like a personal violation doesn't it?

manlypoetrymanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

worse!

3. MikeNV profile image67
    MikeNVposted 13 years ago

Every State the borders the Gulf now has oil washing up on it's shorelines.

And while most people mistakenly believe that oil just rises to the top for easy skimming... this is not the case with the unrefined Crude Oil.  It's top to bottom, plus all the unknown chemicals that were dumped into the ocean to disperse it.

This disaster is going to require decades of healing... and probably won't completely heal in our lifetimes.

But who cares right... as long as BP makes money.

BP made almost $6 Billion in the first Quarter of this year.  And so far has paid out $3 Billion. That's 6 weeks profit for a problem that is now 2 months old.

I won't be shedding any tears for the BP ahareholders.  BP has plenty of cash.  And Odumbo has done nothing to help the situation.  He just sits back while BP tries to salvage their profit.

"Odumbo" lol...Although I've never been a fan of blaming all our problems on one single person...no matter who he is or what his/her title is. However...in this situation I got'ta tell ya'...I never seen someone do so little during such a huge crisis before this one....EVER. But...the blame for the accident itself falls squarely on them that done it...IMO.

Whether the government should have regulated it stronger...will never come out fully anyways...even decades from now.

4. RooBee profile image83
    RooBeeposted 13 years ago

I, along with many others, am deeply and profoundly saddened by this terrible tragedy. It is maddening beyond description. For someone who considers themselves an environmentalist, there is no "I told you so" gratification, either. This is just too big, too incalculable as far as ongoing damage goes.
    We've been poking, prodding, and assaulting the planet for decades and are beginning to reap what's been sown by a select few companies who profit off of the harvesting of the earth's resources.
    This is inexcusable, unacceptable, and horrendous. I feel fortunate to live far from the gulf area and feel terrible for people who live and work there. It is all connected. We are all connected.
    My only hope is that this will be a catalyst for real change. I hope that we don't get caught up in politics and blame-games and that we are able to look at a much larger picture. This deep-sea drilling should never have been allowed. And it's time to do a helluva lot more than just talk about alternative energy.
    I'm not an Obama basher myself, but I do feel a disheartened when I see that all of the talk about being a friend to the environment may take a backseat to business as usual (ie selling out to corporations).
    The Native American proverb/prophecy just keeps playing in my head:
    "Only after the last  tree has been cut down, only after the last river  has been poisoned, only after the last fish  has been caught, only then will you find that money  cannot be eaten."

1. Me, Steve Walters profile image78
      Me, Steve Waltersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wow..that is a powerful Native American proverb...really rings home...and true. I find it incomprehensible that others have to pay for what others have done...in order for certain others (who think they are sooo special!) to make a buck!

5. readytoescape profile image60
    readytoescapeposted 13 years ago

Another is:

“We do not inherit this Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our children.”

Our children should be _issed off at us then!

6. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 13 years ago

This mess continues to grow and grow when is it ever going to end? sad

Hey AE...How ya' doing?

Maybe...if they just procastinate for another couple years...the oil leak in the Gulf will just eventually run dry. Anyone for a little raw crude oil in everything you drink or eat? And speaking of eating...it sure won't be  any seafood that folks will be eating in the future...at this present rate.

7. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

very powerful RB. they understand the land. sadly not many listen.

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/arc … see/59369/

8. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

I can't blame BP for this mess or Odumbo--although I think he's a useless piece of garbage. WE are at fault. BP was just the conduit.

Every single one of us that still owns a gas guzzler, or who turns up their thermostat in the winter, doesn't carpool to work or drives their car to the store instead of getting up off of their arse and walking or biking is at fault. If there wasn't a demand for BP's products, BP wouldn't be in business making gazillions of dollars per year. Full stop.

1. Sab Oh profile image56
      Sab Ohposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How about people who need large vehicles for their jobs? How about people who live where it gets very cold in winter? How about those who don't live near others who work at the same place? How about those who would be looking at a two hour walk or a bike ride across an interstate to get to the store? Are they environmental criminals?

1. lrohner profile image69
        lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No. Did you really need to ask?

2. profile image57
      C.J. Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Don't forget, our federal regulations is what had us out so far and deep in the gulf to begin with. The techniques for capping the well are only effective at shallow depths.

3. miss_jkim profile image75
      miss_jkimposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Irohner, sorry for those of us who live in rural areas that:

a. Have to use "gas guzzling" tractors and farm equipment to plant and   
             harvest the food you eat.

b. Due to the fact that the stores we shop at are usually "in town" and we
             live over 10 miles away, walking is just not practical.

Also, there are many everyday items we use every day that are products of the petroleum industry that have nothing to do with gas for cars or heating oil for our homes.
                                                  I'm just saying. . .

9. profile image57
    C.J. Wrightposted 13 years ago

The dispersant that was used is what has me worried. The gulf has survived other spills. It will survive this one. However we may never know the effects this chemical dispersant has had on the enviroment. It will all be blamed on the spill.

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

the dispersants are extremely toxic. there is a lot of marine animal death in the water. the dispersants break up into tiny particles that look like plankton. the fish swim through the water column with their mouths open and swallow this toxic material.

1. profile image57
        C.J. Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We have not seen any reports of massive fish kills or marine life death. However I don't doubt this stuff can kill. I'm worried about long term effects.

1. miss_jkim profile image75
          miss_jkimposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Those of us who live on or near the gulf coast are very concerned about the dispersants. Although we have been assured the actual oil cannot be evaporated into the atmosphere and find its way into the rain we very much need on our fields; the same cannot be said about the dispersants. So the question remains, can these harmful chemicals adhere to the water molecules and be evaporated with the water thus poisoning the rain water? 

Not to mention our continued hurricane watch during this time of year, we now worry what will happen with all this oil if we have a particularly active hurricane season or even one Cat 3 or higher hurricane.

10. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

I heard today that a few tar balls were washing up on Florida's EAST coast!

That makes sense...as I watched a special on the Oil Spill on the Discovery channel...over a month ago...and they said the spill had already gotten out of the Loop of the Gulf Currents. Then all it has to do is ride the Gulf stream if it gets around the edge of Florida...It could end up sending remnants or more right back to BP's home territory.

HHHMMM...wonder what kind of outrage will happen then?

1. profile image0
        china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi manly poetguy - In the uK we already have almost every beach awash with tar balls from every part of the world, from various oil spills and disasters everywhere including in our own waters. Nobody here will get upset by them, we are resigned to the type of situation you find yourself in with the gulf spill, for you it is new but yo will soon get used to the severe reduction in marine life, underwater deserts where once there were marine forests and grass plains with ish and all. The issue is not local is is global and while I sympathise and, with you wish it wasn't happening, it is a global issue and requres a global response.

I'm ready for the global response...whoops...the president turned that down on day 3 from the dutch...

11. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

just the fact that the dispersants are banned from use in the UK wasn't enough to stop them from being used here. I guess it was a trade off, kill the marine life in the Gulf and affect the food chain or protect the marshes. it doesn't seem to be going well on either end.
    I don't trust a word BP says about the dispersants. we already know it is highly toxic. I don't like this whole science experiment approach.

although not as often as at first, there are still days when I can faintly detect the odor in the air if the breeze is coming from the northwest.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/07/02/di … xperiment/

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)