Wat to feed a sray dog or cat?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)
  1. profile image53
    pokeamitposted 15 years ago

There are many cats and dogs both living near my house. I love them but cant adopt them as my parents are against it.
    How do i feed them?

1. kerryg profile image84
      kerrygposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Don't! You will never get rid of them, and you'll attract even more as well.

It's better to call your local humane society and report them. They will be able to give the animals medical care, if necessary, spay or neuter them, and hopefully find them good homes.

2. mortaine profile image62
      mortaineposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I agree with kerryg. If you can't adopt them and aren't able to take full responsibility for them, including veterinary care, housing, and ensuring a full amount of food and water, then you really shouldn't feed them. Not only will they continue to hang around, but other people will see that they're well-fed, and will assume they have a home. Those people, who might have adopted the strays, won't take in any of them, thinking they are already cared for.

Additionally, cats in particular have an odd social dynamic. A group of cats will grow to the size of their food source. If you feed them, they will have kittens and more cats will arrive, requiring more food. An unspayed female cat can have kittens every 8 weeks, so within 2 months, you have a second litter. Plus, an unspayed female cat can have her first litter in as little as 8-12 weeks. So within months, you have a math problem that just won't go away.

One thing you can do, if your parents are agreeable to it, is to sponsor a feral cat colony in the area. With a feral cat colony, you feed a limited amount of food to the cats (about 1/3 to 1/2 of what that many cats would eat as indoor pets), and you have these untamed cats spayed. The colony will not grow because the cats are spayed and because there is only that limited amount of food-- the established colony will defend their territory from interlopers. In return (and because you aren't feeding them too much food!) they hunt rodents and pests in your area. The costs involved are trapping, spaying, basic vaccinations and tests (it's a good idea to make sure your feral colony is not fostering feline leukemia), and ongoing food. The food doesn't need to be fancy-- dry kibble will do the trick, as it's just a supplement for their hunting activities.

Stray dogs will often roam in packs, and the more food they have, the bigger the pack. Eventually, someone will decide the pack is a problem (either because the dogs are constantly knocking over their trash cans, or because the dogs are a hazard to local wildlife, livestock, children...) In any case, someone will call Animal Control and have the dogs taken away as "aggressive" to be put down. The more you feed them, the more dogs there will be who meet this sad fate.

Call the local humane society. If there's no humane society in your area, ask your parents if you can establish a feral cat colony, or the animals should be taken up the road to a friendly farm for adoption.

1. Lady Guinevere profile image66
        Lady Guinevereposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You are right except for the fact that you will bring even more other unwanted animals into your area.  Raccoons, Possums and the like will come to feed on what the cats don't eat.  I have a few stray cats, that are able to pet and such and have made them provisions for a dry and warm place to nest.  All byt two males are fixed and I just ran out of money from fixing the femle who brought me twolitters of kittens.  The last three I couldn
        t find homes for so I got them fixed and the momma cat fixed too.  So I have 7 outdoor cats.  I also have my 5 indoor/outdoor cats.
        If they have been outsode for quite a while they will not be able to be fully domesticated as an indoor cat.---been there with two of the ones I have indoor/outdoor.
        The humane society in my area at least will not pick up cats and if they can't find homes for them within 5-7 days they will kill them.  They will not tell you this. 
        Spay Today will help with the spaying and neutering of those animals and will also rent traps so that you can get them to their facility.  Check to make sure they have a van run because that is even cheaper than just the Spay Today.  What they do is have you drop off your animals on one day and the next day pick them up.  They will have various charges for a variety of services, such as the testing for leukemia and the AIDS virus.

2. Lady Guinevere profile image66
    Lady Guinevereposted 15 years ago

Find an Animal Welfare Society--they are a NO KILL shelter and will not kill an animal.

3. profile image53
    YourHomeForumposted 15 years ago

Yep... they need to be taken care of by someone that is capable of taking care of all of these animals. Hopefully, they will find homes.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)