Am I the only one who thinks it's a waste of time ...

Jump to Last Post 1-39 of 39 discussions (55 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Precious Williamsposted 13 years ago

to have a birthday part for children at the six month point? I don't mean for a six month child.  Apparantly it is becoming increasingly popular for children to have their normal birthday party and then a 1/2 year party eg 10 and a half, eleven and a half etc. In my view some people have more money than sense.

1. waynet profile image70
      waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A party for the sake of a party is no good unless lots of drink is involved and unless the 6 month olds like a drink, then it is riduncolous!!!!

2. psycheskinner profile image82
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've never heard of doing that.  It seems ridiculous to me.

3. RNMSN profile image60
      RNMSNposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I could use some of their moola and a party to boot lol

2. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

Umm, not among people i know smile

3. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

To have a birthday party at a half way point between actual birthdays is absurd, and shows people have almost no common sense. lol lol lol

4. ilmdamaily profile image68
    ilmdamailyposted 13 years ago

Yeah it's a great idea - where I come from it happens all the time.

Except the child is put to bed early, the drinks come out and everyone enjoys themselves:-)

Parties at that age are waaaaaaay more beneficial for parents than the kids:-)

5. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

I've never even heard of anyone doing that.  hmm

6. profile image0
    Kathryn LJposted 13 years ago

Never heard of this.  It seems pointless to me but maybe some people like parties.  At least kids entertainers will be kept busy.

7. LaMamaLoli profile image60
    LaMamaLoliposted 13 years ago

I started laughing cos I thought you were joking, then I realised you were not. Am hoping my kids don't ever get wind of that because they will be really disappointed! Who on earth came up with that??????

8. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 13 years ago

It might be a good idea to have birthday party every six months when you get to be really old. smile

9. Len Cannon profile image89
    Len Cannonposted 13 years ago

Any excuse for a party is a good one.  I'd rather have too many gatherings with friends than too few.

10. Polly C profile image91
    Polly Cposted 13 years ago

I think it's crazy, and very overindulgent. Although my son went to a half way birthday party last summer (the boy's birthday is actually in December). Apparently it was because his birthday is so near Christmas, they celebrated it in the middle of July instead. I thought that was quite weird though, I mean, a child knows it isn't really their birthday.

11. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 13 years ago

no need to even have a REASON for a party - just have a party!  I have often wondered why people always have to be celebrating something specific.  So I have made a list of some new reasons you can give for having a party:

1. smile celebrate with me!  my boyfriend/girlfriend just moved out!
    2. come help me celebrate, I got all the dishes done last night!
    3. You're invited! My fifteenth year without tampons!
    4. Please bring a covered dish and we'll celebrate that we finally have enough to eat!
    5. Happy Middle of the Month! (turn this into a party-series)
    6. My kid just made it through first grade! Bring Your Own Bottle!
    7. We're Celebrating!  I'm not going to have a baby this year!

If those aren't good enough for you - think of your own.

1. Stimp profile image61
      Stimpposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thirsty Thursday, OR Funday Sunday....

2. wytegarillaz profile image59
      wytegarillazposted 13 years agoin reply to this

wytegarillaz free hugs party !

we would have a party whenever we wanted one , didnt need a reason

12. Christene profile image60
    Christeneposted 13 years ago

It's not a new thing. I had half-birthday parties in school in the 1980s. My birthday fell before school started so I couldn't celebrate in class like my friends. So on my half-birthday I had the cupcake and singing thing other kids got to have on their birthday.

My mom sent me a cake and balloons on my half-birthday when I was in college in the 90s too. She surprised me the first year (I didn't know anyone yet when it was my actual birthday) and then kept it up for fun.

13. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 13 years ago

I don't think its fair for you to have both - a regular bd and a 1/2 bd - you should have to pick one or the other.  One a year per customer only.  Other parties you can have anytime - wherever!  Be sure to ask people to bring a covered dish.

This is one way to get casserole dishes, since someone always gets loaded, leaves theirs behind and forgets where they left it.  Peel off the name label if there is one on the bottom and never admit where you got it!

14. Christene profile image60
    Christeneposted 13 years ago

I had the same number as everyone else each year. 1 in school (half) and 1 at home (actual). Mine were just spread out. There's were one after the other.  big_smile

1. mega1 profile image79
      mega1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm glad you were being reasonable.  Some people don't know when to quit!  lol

1. Christene profile image60
        Christeneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

haha

15. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

maybe it's geographical.. I haven't heard of half-year birthday parties. considering what some parents now spend on birthday parties... yikes: preschoolers often invite their entire class.

16. Ivorwen profile image64
    Ivorwenposted 13 years ago

They do the 1/2 year parties around here to celebrate summer birthdays at school and many of the kid's clubs, but I don't know any parents that throw parties for their children at the six month mark.

17. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

1 birthday a year...no exceptions smile

18. Stimp profile image61
    Stimpposted 13 years ago

BUT seriously, my step child who's birthday just happens to fall ONE FREAKING DAY before mine...thus, minimizing the experience for me cuz everyone's all "oh, it's Sally's birthday...everyone jump up and praise the lord....Oh?  it's your birthday tomorrow...dam, I better go get a gift certificat"...anyway...our birthdays fall in august (hint,hint...AUGUST 3rd to be precise)....she calls and is all upset with my spouse cuz we didn't celebrate her 1/2 - f'n birthday.  I heard her crying on the phone.  I'm like "you have got to be kidding me."  When she came back to our house she was all a-miff.  Yes, a-miff.  I said  "well, TODAY, just happens to by MY 1/2 birthday....where's my card and gifts....just as I thought...NONE!!!"  then I went on to taunt more...."so, why should MY 1/2 birthday be insignificant if yours isn't."  She didn't have an answer.....she's 9 (well 9.75 years old)  but still.

1. Ivorwen profile image64
      Ivorwenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Happy almost birthday, Simp!  Popular day to be born!  I've got two who celebrate on that day in my family.

19. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 13 years ago

How about people who are born on St. Patrick's Day?  That would be just AWFUL!  think about it

1. Stimp profile image61

hmmmm....good point....lets stop to ponder.

http://didyouseethis.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/ihazaponder128615263298219577.jpg

1. profile image0
        Precious Williamsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Love the picture

2. Ivorwen profile image64
      Ivorwenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've got a cousin with that b-day.  Good thing he is good natured.  Personally, I think Christmas would be worse.

20. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

Sounds kinda like having 11 different "graduation" ceremonies before ever having a "real" one.

Never had a 1/2 BD, never participated in one, probably wouldn't go to one, but to each his own, I guess.  About the only thing wrong with it might be that it cheapens the "real" one, just like all the faux graduation ceremonies.  Just my opinion.....

21. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 13 years ago

Never heard of a 1/2 birthday party.

Off topic, in another forum, a woman is having her own baby shower - both seem to be screaming me me me & I want more, more, more.

1. Stimp profile image61

NO WAAAAYYY!!!  Where?  Send me to it.

22. Diane Inside profile image72
    Diane Insideposted 13 years ago

I agree with the one a year, but I can see the point. My youngest brothers birthday falls on Jan. 3rd. Right after Christmas and New Years, So I felt like he always got the short end of the stick.

People were a gifted out by his birthday so he usually got something small and no parties. So I always wished we could have celebrated his birthday in July. Just so he could experience a birthday for him.

My Parents were always like you just got so much for Christmas, they usually ended up giving him something small or money and leaving it at that.

Of course we could all just be like my husband he doesn't celebrate birthdays at all, his or mine.

23. torimari profile image68
    torimariposted 13 years ago

I didn't know such things exist. O.o If I can get 2x more presents for it, hell yea. However, if I have a kid that wants to celebrate two birthdays a year, hell no.

24. Rafini profile image83
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

I've heard of a half-birthday when the child's birthday is on Christmas or Christmas Eve, but other than a case like that....No.  It doesn't make sense.  It sounds more like spoiling the child. hmm

25. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 13 years ago

We still celebrate once a year smile

26. Ginger Meow profile image68
    Ginger Meowposted 13 years ago

How about Happy Unbirthday for every other day of the year! cite Alice in Wonderland

27. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

A half birthday huh? So is there only half a cake, half a plate, half a party and people talkin on one side of their mouth? It sounds silly. I agree with the one whole birthday a year crowd.  If it falls on a holiday or summer, big deal, celebrate it anyway. Other holidays shouldn't take away from your birthday.

1. Ginger Meow profile image68
      Ginger Meowposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree sounds half arsed smile

2. Rafini profile image83
      Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

big_smile I agree with you - half birthdays make no sense. smile

28. Jayne Lancer profile image92
    Jayne Lancerposted 13 years ago

My children, like most, are always excited about their birthdays. Imagining them getting excited about their half birthdays, and celebrating them, just makes me laugh.
    Sounds like madness to me.

29. lorlie6 profile image74
    lorlie6posted 13 years ago

In AA they have an 18 month 'birthday.'  I always thought that was pretty absurd. smile

1. Rafini profile image83
      Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I personally think with AA that anytime a member wants to celebrate freedom its A-Okay.    Because freedom from addiction is a good thing. smile

1. lorlie6 profile image74
        lorlie6posted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are so right, Rafini.  Thanks for reminding me what AA really means.

30. CASE1WORKER profile image62
    CASE1WORKERposted 13 years ago

I did an unbirthday party for my son last year as his  birthday is in January and we wanted to have a barbie for his friends- it was very successful but without the hype of presents- instead some of the children and mums sent thank you letters which was lovely- i can recommend it to anyone

31. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

I hope my grands don't find out about this! It already seems that we have a birthday every couple of weeks! lol

32. MadelynFinley profile image61
    MadelynFinleyposted 13 years ago

It seems a little overboard to me!

33. I am DB Cooper profile image63
    I am DB Cooperposted 13 years ago

That seems stupid to me. My sister used to have her birthday party 6 months after her birthday, but that's only because she didn't want to have the party in December when the weather is bad. June is much more of a party month than December, plus it doesn't interfere with other Christmas parties that same time of year. Having 2 birthday parties each year just creates spoiled kids.

34. KCC Big Country profile image83
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

With a November birthday myself and my kids both having November birthdays, I could see some benefit in having a mid-year party.  We'd finally get to have that swimming party we never get to have.  LOL

35. starme77 profile image76
    starme77posted 13 years ago

Well, I say any excuse you can use to let loose and P.A.R.T.Y is just fine - if ya wanna use the kid for the excuse - then, o.k - or , you could use the fact that it's the week-end but that's and old and boring one LOL smile Party Hearty smile smile

36. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
    DzyMsLizzyposted 13 years ago

It is not at all a commonplace thing where I live.  Have only heard of such a thing once before in all my 62 years, and that was a cousin of mine, whose was born on Christmas Eve!

Her birthday always kind of either got missed/overlooked entirely, or 'mixed in' with Christmas, as in "Here's your Christmas/birthday gift, sweetie!" 

So she kind of got cheated.  For her, (when she was a child) they did have a "half-birthday" celebration in June. 

It is the only time I've ever heard of such a thing!

37. M.s Fowler profile image43
    M.s Fowlerposted 13 years ago

It sounds weird to me. I have never heard such a thing!

38. janderson81 profile image60
    janderson81posted 13 years ago

omg that sounds so bizarre to me! Whats more, I discovered that friends of ours decided not to celebrate their son's first few birthdays, as he had no idea what was going on, so why should they bother! I was appalled at this, and every year my husband and I always buy the little darling a birthday present!!!

39. Lily Rose profile image86
    Lily Roseposted 13 years ago

I think it's ridiculous and I see it as being greedy - let's face it, it's just kids that have these, right?  If it's not for more presents and cake, then what?

My husband's birthday is celebrated by the whole world - Dec 31 - and that's when we celebrate it, too!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)