Questionable hub appearance

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (30 posts)
  1. wilderness profile image93
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

I have written all my hubs with my font size set to 22 and wonder now that with a more normal size they will not have the neat appearance that I designed into them.

Can I get a few opinions on the appearance of this hub, along with the font size you are using on your browser?  I realize that the google ads alongside the first text box is not placed properly and that large photos are not usually used at the top.  I felt the top photos made a better "read" for the viewer, and simply ran out of room for the side ads, so accepted them where they came in.

I am not asking for content, grammer, or spelling critique (though it is always welcome) as it is a long hub and of little interest to most people - I'm mostly concerned with the general appearance.

Thanks

1. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In my browser your font size looks the same as the default size on every other hub. But I just chose a hub at random, did you have a particular one in mind?

wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Doh!  Slaps forehead.  Sorry - I copied, but did not paste it.  Sorry.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Sun-Room-Makeov … -Project-2

2. wilderness profile image93

Yes, I would assume you would see no difference in size no matter what size I used on my own browser. However, changing the browser font size changes the length of text boxes by putting more letters on each line.  Some of my hubs had, I thought, a negative effect, some no effect as they did not have as many photos or ads alongside the text capsule.

2. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Your Hubs all look normal to me!  Where are you "setting" your font?

I know you're not asking about content but this Hub is crying out for a good edit.  Right now it reminds me of a neighbour rambling on about his renovation and my eyes glazing over...

Every second sentence needs unnecessary words cut, or should be deleted altogether.  For instance, "I wanted the window to the kitchen gone - I decided to keep the one above the sink to enhance the kitchen, but the other had to go" should be, "I decided to keep the window above the sink to enhance the kitchen, but the other window had to go".

You may think writing in a "chatty" style makes it more approachable, but it has the opposite effect in an informational Hub, because it swamps the useful information and just becomes annoying.

You could do a lot to make it easier to follow - for instance, your list of objectives should be a bulleted list.

Thanks, Marisa, for your help.  I didn't really expect anyone to actually read that long hub, but you did and I appreciate your criticism - I think it is well taken. 

This is one of my earlier efforts and undoubtedly needs some editing.  It has been about a month since I wrote it and I find that for me it works best to let my hubs sit for a little while and only then go back and re-read and edit them.

I'm still awfully new to this whole writing gig and am still experimenting with styles of writing - the result is that I do a lot of editing.  So much so that I sometimes cringe as I read what is in front of me, just as I did when I read your quote from my own hub.  Thanks again.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84

Wilderness, the writer who does no editing is a bad writer, so you're doing fine!  Even experienced writers rarely put a perfect sentence on the page first time around.

I have met a few writers who do no editing - without exception, they've been awful writers with a misplaced pride in their verbal diarrhoea!   

It might be a good idea to write your Hubs in Word, then let them "sit" for a while before putting the red pen over them, before you even publish?  That would save you a lot of time trying to create a good layout around text that's going to look completely different later on.

I fully expect that later, with some experience and knowledge under my belt, I will write and let sit for a while before publishing.  Right now, though, my main thrust is to learn as much as possible about the "biz".  Keyword usage, SEO, public response - all these kind of things matter a great deal and it won't matter how well a hub is written if no one sees it or doesn't like the subject.  So for now I go ahead and publish and watch the responses from google and HP and try to learn even as I realize I need to edit and should probably even remove some of the earlier hubs.  That's life.

Your experiment;  I'm not making myself clear.  I went to your hub on carpal tunnel - there is a picture of a mouse flushed to the side of the first text capsule.  It is quite a bit shorter than the text, with the text wrapping around the bottom of it.  If, however, I change my font size to 10 the text capsule is about 1/2 the length of the photo and there is a large white space at the bottom of the text before the next capsule starts.  It is not a matter of what HP does; it is a matter of how I instruct my own computer to display the written word. 

Another example is the hubmetrics box.  It took me forever to understand what I was seeing there because I made the letters too large.  To me it looks something like this:

word count          760
            ?  Revenue Potential
            $$$                                                                    ?
                                                                                  Incoming links
            *                                                                        ?
                                                                                  View Duration

and so on on down the box.  In fact it was when I figured out the box was what set off the light bulb as to what font size was doing.  The width of that hubmetrics box simply isn't wide enough to accommodate the spaces and letters used when they are twice as wide as they should be and therefore wraps them into the next line.

So you're not asking about how your readers see the Hub, you're asking about how to change the settings on Firefox on your own PC, so you can see what they will see?

- Go into "Options" then "Content"
              - Choose "Advanced" under "Fonts and Colours"
              - Tick the box that says "allow pages to choose their own fonts"

'bangs head on wall'  I think I need a communications class!  Marisa, that box is already checked.  I don't know if my setting the font size to 22 overrides it or just what, but I can reset the font size to the default when I write my hubs.  But only if I know what the default is, and I've long forgotten that number.  I figure that most people won't change the default so that is probably what I should use to see what they will see - I just don't know what that is!

On a different note, I wonder if it would behoove all of us not to try and end a text capsule even with a flushed photo or amazon capsule because all people won't see it the same way.  Rather we should perhaps wrap the text under the photo in most cases.

Wilderness, remember that many people will be using a browser without a fixed font.  Design your Hubs for those people, not for the small number of people who might know how to set their font size. 

I didn't even know I could set my font size in Firefox!  It's silly that there's no button to reset everything to "default".

I've never changed mine and the font says Times New Roman 16.  If I go into Advanced I can see "Serif 16", Sans serif is set at "Arial" and Monospace is "Courier New 13".

It really is silly not to have a "default" button, but if it does I can't find it.

And thanks for the information.  I had very tentatively decided that the default was 16 as it looks about like my sons.  Unfortunately he lives 1/2 mile away and I could never be sure I was remembering the appearance of different screens correctly.  I will now set it to 16 when I write and have a reasonable hope that most readers will see it that way.

My advanced settings say the same thing except that the "Serif 16" is "Serif 22".  I do it that way so that I can read without eyestrain or digging out my glasses but had never considered the consequences to the visual appearance I was trying to accomplish.

Thanks again, Marisa.  You've been a great help.

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 13 years ago

I have noticed that HP does not respect any individuality, and trying to get a particular formatting to 'play' with the space on the page (particularly with poetry!) is nigh on to impossible.

Likewise with font sizes.   You seem to be limited to the 'normal' 'paragraph' or 'heading' options.    None of these are to my particular liking.

However, I've had slightly better results when writing my piece first in MS Word, then copy/pasting it into the HP text capsule.

Best wishes!

Lizzy, HP does not respect individuality because it wants to maintain a consistent, professional look for the whole site.  It would be nice to have more bells and whistles, but you have to remember that not all writers have good taste, and if we had total freedom to design Hubs any way we pleased, it would look like MySpace!

You can play with the format by using the formatting in the toolbar of the text capsule. If you use one of the "heading" formats (I forget which one) for your whole poem, it will be in single spacing.

Be sure to split your text up into several capsules, then you'll find you can play with the layout much more easily.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
        DzyMsLizzyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

???  Do I understand you correctly that if you were to put each stanza in a NEW text capsule....  It would format more correctly???? 

I play a LOT with the line breaks..that is where I run into the most trouble...because it is intended to be a visual break to emphasize the change of thought in the text.... 

The thing that frustrates me the most, is if I find a typo after the fact  (a trick my eyes play on me sometimes, no matter how careful I've tried to be), and have to go back and edit, that instantly undoes all my careful formatting, and slams everything right back against the left margin!

I guess I'll have to keep playing with stuff.  The more I learn, the more technical it seems to get--and I'm no techie.  I am a creative type, & don't like messing with technical background stuff--I prefer 'wysiwig' editors.  ;-)

Lizzy, there is no "technical background stuff" on HubPages! However it doesn't offer as many formatting options as a word processor, so you have to get creative with what's there.

If you look in the toolbar of the text capsule, there is a drop down box showing the available text formats.  I find it's not worth trying to use "preformatted" - just work with HubPages' set formats and you'll do better.

Heading 4 will give you single spacing between lines. Then you just add an extra white line where you need one.

Using the "quote" feature (click the quotation mark) will give you indented text.

What other formatting did you want in your poems?

Take a look at this poem, for an example of what I mean.  This is NOT at all easy to do in HP.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Cats-Must-Run-Free

Ah, I see.

Unfortunately HP doesn't make it easy to do unusual layouts.  That's not surprising:  remember, HubPages is designed for writers to produce "content rich" articles with the aim of making money.

HubPages welcomes creative writers but they, generally, contribute very little to the site's income.  Poetry, especially, earns very poorly on the internet.  So there's no incentive for the site to invest dollars into programming to create complex formatting options which the average article writer doesn't need.

1. Lisa HW profile image62
                Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Something you could do (although you have to be careful about fonts and colors, or else it won't come out clear in the end), would be to create your poem, the way you want it to look, in the paint program and save it as a picture.  Then you could add a picture capsule and post the poem that way.  Sometimes you may have to play with it to get it to look good. 

Of course, the problem with that is you wouldn't have any text capsule.  I don't really see what difference that would make if readers are going to see the same poem (same amount of words) in a text capsule versus picture.  Maybe there's something I'm not seeing, though.

(I did that kind of thing on a "domestic abuse" Hub.  I didn't fuss with it, because the point of the Hub wasn't really the poem; but if you were to look you'd see how it this kind of thing has potential (if you just play with it a little bit).  I've done it on other Hubs and the image has come out better, but I can't even recall which ones have that kind of thing right now.  )

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

there is a lot of individuality here. you can find it on numerous hubs. I can think of a few hubbers off the top of my head without posting links where they exercise creative individuality.

take a look at

chris A ~ any of his hubs ~ he has some poetry hubs also.

you can break up your texts with new capsules, photos, lines.

another to check out for creativity is

green lotus
      she has a hub about http://hubpages.com/hub/how_to_make_photo_divider_bars

3. Flightkeeper profile image67
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

I thought your hub looked fine Wilderness until you get to the end when you had more pictures than text.  You might want to break up the text with text boxes to highlight your main points and even out the columns.

'pounces on the monitor'  And that is the information I'm looking for!  Quick, flightkeeper, what font size are you using, particularly if you're using firefox with it's original, default setting?

What has happened is that when I design the hub with a much larger font it looks good, with text and pics lining up at the bottom or the photo capsule being the shorter of the two.  As you note, though, a different font size results in a different size of each letter with more or less letters per line and more or less lines of text in the capsule.  This can result in the photo capsules being longer than the text capsule as the photo's do not change size with a change in font size.

1. Flightkeeper profile image67
        Flightkeeperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wilderness, I really don't do anything different.  But you can use text capsules effectively to break up the layout so that it is more soothing to the eye and readable.  Instead of one continuous text capsule, use several different text capsules with an appropriate subheading.  There are two advantages to this (1) it breaks up your text so the layout is better and inviting to read because it's more descriptive (2) the breaks in capsules allow for more adsense ads so there are more opportunities for you to get clicks and earn money. 

I hope that made sense.

2. Marisa Wright profile image84

I use Firefox and I experimented with trying to paste "preformatted" text into a text capsule. No matter what size font I use, it reverts to the standard HubPages size when saved. How are you "using" a different font size, Wilderness?

I'd also be interested to know why you want a different font size.  The bottom line is, if your text is looking too indigestible in the default font, your paragraphs are too long.

Like Flightkeeper said, split your text up into separate text capsules - if I have a lot of photos, I'll often have a separate text capsule for every paragraph.

4. Haunty profile image73
    Hauntyposted 13 years ago

˙ɯǝɥʇ pɐǝɹ oʇ uǝǝɹɔs ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹıǝɥʇ dılɟ oʇ ǝʌɐɥ ǝldoǝd os `uʍop ǝpısdn sqnɥ ɹnoʎ ǝʇıɹʍ ˙ɐǝpı uɐ ǝʌɐɥ ı

ROFLMAO!  That is funny!!  (How'd you do that???  LOL)

5. Flightkeeper profile image67
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

@ Haunty lol

6. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

I find HubPages looks more neat, clean (smaller-looking letters), and "professional" if I view using IE.  Viewing using Firefox makes it look "bigger", bolder, clunkier, and less neat-and-professional-looking.

You might try either resetting the font size or zooming in or out.  At least if I am reading what you're saying.....

Sounds like Lisa needs to do this too:

- Go into "Options" then "Content"
        - Choose "Advanced" under "Fonts and Colours"
        - Tick the box that says "allow pages to choose their own fonts"

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)