??? True writers or money makers

Jump to Last Post 1-31 of 31 discussions (100 posts)
  1. nlogan profile image62
    nloganposted 13 years ago

Is this site for people who just want to make money or do we have true writers on here that want to share information and love writing???

1. Lisa HW profile image63
      Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Both - and all kinds of Hubbers in-between.  Some kinds of Hubs are more likely to get a lot of traffic than others.

2. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, we got a lot a peeps wot iz, "Tring to be perfect for God, and win over souls!"

I assume that means "true writers" to you, but is pretty annoying to the rest of us. wink

3. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Plenty of "true writers" do it to make money. I don't think the two are mutually exclusive.

4. profile image0
      Charlinexposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am new here. I wish to be a true writer. Hope I am at the right place.

5. Pandoras Box profile image61
      Pandoras Boxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What's wrong with wanting to make some money? Even 'true' writers need money.

6. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The purpose of HubPages is very clear.  HubPages was created as a place for good writers to write quality articles for the purpose of making money.   

Appalling writers after a quick buck, and high-minded literary writers who look down on mere commerce, won't make HubPages a dime - so they're not the site's target market.  They get rid of the former as quickly as possible - they graciously welcome the latter because they enrich the community, even though they don't make a financial contribution. 

I'm thinking your definition of "true writers" refers to the literary writers - maybe you could clarify.

1. Rafini profile image83
        Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm wondering who these high minded literary writers are who don't make a financial contribution.  It seems to me ads appear on all hubs and HubPages makes more money per click/sale than the writer so even if the writer doesn't earn a paycheck prior to 6 months HubPages most likely already has.

1. carboncopyme profile image60
          carboncopymeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes!  Raf you put it so well.  No one here gets a paycheck for being a writer.  HP makes money off the advertising as does Google.
          You can be a writer and write here and have an affiliate account and make a little money or NOT.
          You can be someone who can fill part of a page with poor English and have an affiliate account and  make a little money from the advertising or NOT.
          Perhaps this is the distinction the OP was trying to make?

2. Marisa Wright profile image84

Rafini, creative writing Hubs rarely make much money for anyone - so even if the writer hasn't signed up for Adsense and HubPages gets 100%, it's not going to be 100% of much.

Most Hubbers take almost a year to make their first $100, even the ones trying to make money.

Marisa, I'm aware creative writing hubs don't make much money but the point is they do make money - or, they do make a financial contribution of some sort.  I was just curious about the wording of:  high minded literary writers.  I guess it just sounds to me like you don't appreciate their contribution.

7. carboncopyme profile image60

The sad trutn is practically NO one makes a significant amount of money here.  No retired from HP income.  However, HP needs some kind of income to keep the site going for the real writers.  I suggest you just enjoy yourself and do NOT expect to make money.  That way, if you DO happen to make some pocket change it'll be a nice surprise for you while you're having fun. 
      HP makes money from the advertising and you might get a little bit of it yourself. 
      Some of these people are kidding themselves thinking HP is here for real writers to make real money for themselves.  So have fun!  that's what I do!

1. Marisa Wright profile image84

You've been here 7 days and you've decided no one makes money? 

Try checking out the HubPages blog.  I think you'll find you're wrong - unless you think $2,000 a month isn't a "significant amount of money".

First of all, I am not sure anyone can prove any income made here.
          Secondly, there are exceptions to every rule.
          Thirdly, I am not saying people won't make ANY money from advertising but no one could LIVE off of it.
          Ben Franklin said expect the worst and hope for the best and you'll never be disappointed.
          that's what I am saying.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
            Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You can only prove it for yourself.
            It takes consistent hard work and is not 'easy money'.
            Like any other job, you have to decide if it is worth your time and effort.
            If you enjoy it enough, the money you earn might be just like finding money on the street now and then, without having to try to find out who may have lost it.

Yes.  Exactly. What money you DO make will not come easily.  If you publish hubs that are nothing but huge advertisements people are not stupid.  If you make no effort a t all you won't make a lot of money either.
              Don't focus on/do this just because you think you will make money.  Just because ONE person makes some money doesn't mean YOU will!  Have fun!  Focus on the FUN and not the FUNDS!

1. KevCC profile image73
                KevCCposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Actually many people are very very stupid.

2. raisingme profile image76
              raisingmeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Rochelle I LOVE YOUR ANSWER!  It is purrrfect! big_smile

2. wychic profile image85
            wychicposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Plenty of us CAN prove income made on here, we just WON'T....we want to keep our successful hubs and level of success private so no one will swoop in and try to steal out niche smile. That said, I do agree that it has to be fun, life is too short to do work you don't like.

See?  Fun is what it's all about because no one can truly prove what anyone ELSE makes.  Plus, no one has ever claimed they make a living from their cut of the advertising income.
              That is what the money here is about anyway--advertising on a page that is not blank.  No one is turned down here as long as you can fill part of a page.  No one here is hired to be a writer and i think that is the distinction we need to make here.
              Again, like we have both already said it's about the FUN not FUNDS.

"as long as you can fill part of a page" doesn't really fly on HubPages, and if you think it's going to you're likely to find your Hubs rated down and little or no earnings.  If that's your idea of "fun" you're free to have your fun and make no money.

I enjoy writing on a deeper level than "fun".    I don't count myself among those "high-minded, literary" types Marissa mentioned; but I'm not among the "all-business-all-the-time" crowd either.  Whatever level of enjoyment I get from my hobby-writing on here, I'm also enjoying some pretty decent earnings (comparable to what a more business-minded person has reported about his/her own earnings).

I don't need to know what anyone is or isn't earning.  I know what I'm earning (just by trying to come up with Hubs that have some quality to them), and I know what I could do to earn more.  It's been fairly effortless, because writing comes easily to me.  Some of my Hubs are, in my opinion, "losers";  but a person's going to have some "losers" after writing a few hundred Hubs. 

Which advertisers are willing to bid for which space is about a lot more than just having space on a page that isn't blank.  What the "money is about" is a lot more than filling part of page. If someone wants to half-fill a page with junk, why not start a blog and not earn money from that instead?   hmm  (HubPages isn't "about" half-baked/half-filled pages.

I, personally, don't care who writes what half-filled pages they write, or who gets them reported as "low quality" because of it.  My only point (after close to three years on here) is that if someone wants to write for enjoyment (but really write) they can earn.  (It's funny retiring was brought up above.  I half joke to people that if HubPages and Google stay in business long enough, at the rate I've been going my earnings may end up being my main retirement income.  Based on what people who live on Social Security get, if things go as they seem they could, I'd be getting a whole lot more from my online,  hobby, writing here than I would from the government, and I"m not exaggerating.   lol  )

No one is turned down here.
                  No one is hired to be a writer.
                  HP (to me)is about fun not funds.
                  No one TRULY can retire from what they make here.
                  So why not focus on fun as opposed to funds?
                  I have fun here.  People with affiliate advertising accounts get some money.
                  I get paid for my actual writing elsewhere.
                  that's all I am saying.
                  The OP needs to be shown the difference between people who make a little money from affiliate advertising and people who fet paid to write.
                  Are there people who are BOTH here?  Yes.  Are MOST people here both--I doubt it. 
                  I don't see why anyone has to focus on the money here.  Every page that isn't blank contains advertising so HP makes money from every page.  THAT is why the site still exists.
                  It's a matter of clicks not necessarily quality.  It's a matter of popularity not necessarily substance. 
                  HP needs the ads to keep this place going and the person who gets the most clicks may not even be all that good a writer AND the best writer might not even HAVE an affiliate account.

2. Mark Knowles profile image59

I make a living from my cut of the advertising funds. It is no fun most of the time. It is work, it took me some time to learn how to do it, and you are at the mercy of the vagaries of affiliate providers and google's search engine algorithm. The OPs insulting opening question aside - there are more than 2 reasons to write here and not all of them are to do with making money directly.

Lots of people just vent, or shout about how much they love god, or write poetry, or tell stories, or write nonsense, or post an on-line CV, or show their freelance photography work, or complain about their inability to hold down a relationship, or what a rotten mother they were, or whatever.

The only reason these people are able to so is because of those of us who actively work at creating income. Which means hubpages make money which means they are still here, which means the site is available to the god botherers, the emotionally disturbed and any number of other people (over 18).

So - the way I look at it - the "money makers" support the "true writers,"................... wink

1. Marisa Wright profile image84

Exactly, and I appreciate it, thank you!

Another way to look at it is that it is the "true writers" (regardless of what they write at any given time) who will become the money-makers; because sometimes a "true" writer is someone who can turn the "mundane" or "commercial" into something that is considered "solid writing".  I think a "true" writer can write just about anything, and sometimes being able to write well but also within the guidelines of what would be considered a "professional" article can be every bit an indicator that someone is a "true" writer.

Creative writing (regardless of its quality), by itself, isn't necessarily the measure of a "true" writer, as far as I'm concerned.  I'm not a fan of snobbery in either direction because - when all is said and done - it isn't you write; it's how well you write.

To me (and maybe it's just me), people who truly understand and appreciate the written word appreciate it in all its forms.

2. Shadesbreath profile image78
                  Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

As one of those dedicated to writing nonsense, may I just say, "Thanks."  smile

1. Mark Knowles profile image59

LOL

Hey - I have always been of the persuasion that apart from the spammers, scammers and plagiarists - there is room for everyone here.

I do find it slightly annoying when people start threads like this. I mean - what on earth is a "true writer"?

2. starme77 profile image77
          starme77posted 13 years agoin reply to this

You tell em marissa smile go girl  smile lol lol

2. Rochelle Frank profile image91

I made almost no money in my first seven days. smile

8. starme77 profile image77

Really , the question sounds like its coming from a concetied person who thinks they are like , the GOD of writing or something

9. starqueen13 profile image60
      starqueen13posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Definitely both, i am a writer, and i LOOOOVE to write, and i dont even have the moneymaker set up smile

I am in the same position!

10. Kimberly Bunch profile image60
      Kimberly Bunchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm writing a book. Does that help answer your question?

11. profile image51
      andri1978posted 13 years agoin reply to this

i think this site for both, we can earn money by writing an article and the chance to improve our writing skill

12. nicregi profile image67
      nicregiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi there.

I strongly agree for both! Take myself for an example. I write because I truly love to write but at the same time, I also hope to get some side income from it.

I am planning to write more everyday and maybe in the future, to start my own book. Well it might just be a big dream for a small guy but hey, I believe in what I dream!

smile

13. jasoncox83 profile image60
      jasoncox83posted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is great for both, however people who hate writing usually do not succeed on revenue sharing websites, unless they have a lot of motivation, and dedication. Same goes for even the writers who enjoy it, just they don't care if they make money as they are increasing their exposure.

14. pisean282311 profile image63
      pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

didnt get you...dont true writers need money?..

2. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

I think it's both.  For me I mix it up between the sales-y hubs and the regular hubs that I like to write about.  There's plenty of people who write fiction, poetry, etc. and don't even think about making money off it.

3. kmackey32 profile image65
    kmackey32posted 13 years ago

yep, the answer is both...

4. Richieb799 profile image75
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

I think the money earning works for good because it can inspire you to write more often..Even when you enjoy it you can neglect your talent sometimes, this helps motivate you

5. Uninvited Writer profile image78
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

I'm here for the writing, I'm lousy at selling smile

1. starme77 profile image77

lol But you write well smile

6. lucieanne profile image69
    lucieanneposted 13 years ago

At first I thought I was going to be in it for the money. Now it's a hobby that doesn't cost anything. I suppose it can be anything you want it to be. If you're hell-bent on making big bucks, then I guess if you put the work in you will see a return for your efforts. It all depends on what you're promoting.
    I just like to share information. I don't expect to make a lot of cash from it, but from what I write about I don't think I will anyway. I will say this though, the guys on here are mostly helpful and lively (and dare I say, opinionated?) but apart from the odd few, you'll do well to take in their advice.

Happy hubbing!

1. Kimberly Bunch profile image60
      Kimberly Bunchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I couldn't agree with you more about the men thing lol. Also I enjoy writing on Hubs and it is an excellent place to start writing my book on the paranormal. Page by page before  I send it off to the publishing house. That can go for anyone. That way people flat out tell you what they think page by page. It has been a wonderful asset for me to write my pages for my book on Hub pages one by one. It's a good way to organize all the material and go back over it etc..

big_smile Practice, practice makes for good writing and 'writers', right?! (smile)

7. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

This is a false binary, for I am neither true writer nor money maker.  In fact, I am actually a false writer making no money.

1. lucieanne profile image69
      lucieanneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why are you here then, Shadesofbreath?

No offence intended, Just wondering that's all - sorry for spelling your name wrong btw. smile

My primary purpose is to promulgate preposterous positions in ponderous and pedantic prose, primarily through parody, while pilfering no profits from the perusing public.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image78
          Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

and you are doing it perfectly.

2. Cagsil profile image71
          Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And a partridge in a pear tree too... lol lol

1. Shadesbreath profile image78

tongue

2. starme77 profile image77

lol lol lol Yeah .... Uh huh.... smile

3. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
          DzyMsLizzyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

@ Shadesbreath--ROFLMAO!  And an above-average, audacious, admirable and amusing author of alliteration are you, as well!  :-)

4. wilderness profile image95
          wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Is your bathroom broken?

2. travelespresso profile image70
      travelespressoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol

8. liljen23 profile image75
    liljen23posted 13 years ago

I am here for both.. smile

9. Len Cannon profile image87
    Len Cannonposted 13 years ago

What constitutes a false writer? Someone who pretends they're literate but really they can't read anything at all?

I saw an episode of Saved by the Bell like that, I think.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
      DzyMsLizzyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What is a false writer?  Hmmmm...perhaps the onez hoo are heer and dont no how to spel or use the rite words or proofreed and still  think they can rite?  :-))

Well, it could be someone that writes falsely, or someone that doesn't write at all and only appears to.  So, basically either a liar or a mime.

3. starme77 profile image77

Nothing constitutes a false writer - some writers are just born to write - its natural - and others want to - so , they do , there really isn't any falsness to any writing , well, unless the writer is like , lying or something , but I think they call that fiction lol smile

4. profile image0
      DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

HAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. profile image0
    china manposted 13 years ago

It is possible to be both a writer and make money - not making any money does not mean you are a good writer and making money does not make you a good writer. Waxing lyrical over yet-another-magic face cream in a deeply witty and meaningful way must be possible I guess, poetry even as an 'ode to olay' or somesuch.

What appear to be the most successful hubs are well written directly promotional pieces of good research.

11. pylos26 profile image70
    pylos26posted 13 years ago

You are saying that those who write for monetary gains are not true writers...?

1. Shadesbreath profile image78

I imagine she meant "true writers" as in "creative writers" or "literary writers" that sort of thing.  I'm fairly confident she didnt' mean it as a slam on "copy writers" etc.  Might be wrong though. And I do love a good fight.  big_smile

12. heart4theword profile image61
    heart4thewordposted 13 years ago

I think some come here, thinking they will make money.  Yet get lost in process of writing...they forget about the money, and just enjoy writing.  Their original purpose changes, and getting to know fellow hubbers, gives them a sense of encouragement to write more hubs:)

13. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

My sister used to be a technical writer for several years.  She wrote instructions on construction, installation and usage of newly designed equipment and software.  The reader was expected to be a able to build, install and/or use the equipment.

Personally I can't imagine writing such an article on an unseen and unused new piece of equipment, but she was able to impart the information needed in a clear and concise manner quite successfully.  For money.

14. wychic profile image85
    wychicposted 13 years ago

I, too, am curious about the distinction between "true writers," "false writers" and whatever other categories we might divide ourselves into. Me, I'm a true writer...I truly write. I also truly write for money, because otherwise I would truly be evicted and end up in a cardboard box, which has very limited writing space and next to no publication potential.

That said...if you're talking about creative writers or some variation thereof...yep, I used to be one of those. Creative writing was once my sole writing outlet, except poetry if you want to put that separate. I published a few poems and got a few dollars off of those, but THAT was truly a lost cause. I started writing reviews and informational articles because I needed money, I was 15 (not on this site...though yes, I wasn't allowed to be on those others under 18 either) and couldn't find substantial enough jobs to move to a town I could afford. It took a couple of years to be able to move and start living in an apartment instead of any bit of floor or grass I could find, but it was enough to show me that writing could be worth something to me. Then I forgot it and went to work for Wal-Mart after I turned 18. Three years ago I remembered, and am now writing full-time. I love writing good, informational articles as much as I love writing good, informational reviews. Except for two humor pieces I was recently inspired to write (thank you bizarre question askers in the late night hours!) they are all informational, and they all make money.

Maybe that's enough information to answer whether I'm a true writer or not, by your definition? smile

15. DonnaCSmith profile image84
    DonnaCSmithposted 13 years ago

I am a professional writer and expect payment for my work as anyone in any other profession would expect.

well, do you get it?

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91

She does. She has published several books and articles.
        Donna is the one who got me started here.

Then its working for her the way she wants it to smile Perfect smile thats the way its supposed to be - glad she got you started here - I enjoy your hubs - sorry I haven't commented on em yet - but I have read some of them - smile

2. carboncopyme profile image60

I agree IF I am HIRED to write. However, HP does NOT hire anyone to write per se.  ANYONE is permitted to write here because HP and Google want places to advertise.

2. DonnaCSmith profile image84
      DonnaCSmithposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ugh, now that I have come back and re-read my post it sounds kinda uppity. Didn't mean it to be. I use Hubpages to recycle articles I have had published in magazines and to published some articles that  I know will not sell to magazines but work for online copy.

I do write for fun and self-actualization. Most of that is poetry and I enjoy reading at open mics, etc. I don't make a large income at Hubpages, but it lets some of my writing get a second life. Otherwise they would be sitting in my computer doing nothing.

Just got back from the PO with a nice check for an article that once the magazine exercises its "first, one-time rights" I will probably revamp it and put it up as a Hub article. Another way Hubpages works for me professionally is it acts as a showcase for my work. I have had on a few occasions heard from editors who have read my articles and contacted me to do articles.

16. starme77 profile image77
    starme77posted 13 years ago

I dunno - look around - see what ya think - I, for enjoy it here at hub pages for the friendships of some wonderful people and , yes, on occassion I do like to write , I get a little check from my little 19 or so hubs I have written so - I guess I get the best of both worlds here - but , more friends than money and for me , I would rather have that smile but.... that's just me

17. SteveoMc profile image71
    SteveoMcposted 13 years ago

The first hurdle for me was to write something that others would want to read.   I have been testing the waters to see if I could get some regular readership.   That is to my surprise and delight accomplished.   I have quite a few readers.   I think this makes me a writer of sorts.
    I am willing to make money from this venture.  So I have two things that I promote for:  the love of readers and of money.
    And, in conclusion, Rochelle Frank has inspired me to reveal that I too made almost nothing in my first 7 days.

I made, I think, 2.00 and change the first month.  Maybe 5.00 and change the second month.  It took, I think, until Month 8 to reach the first payment.  After that, things picked up.

lol. Ditto .I'm In second month of publishing now and I've earned the grand sum of £2.87. I'm not giving up the day job just yet.

18. humagaia profile image58
    humagaiaposted 13 years ago

I want to share information. I love writing. Only others can decide whether I am a 'true writer' or just a mercenary. I have a conscience and 'thank' HP for the pleasure of being able to do what I do by sharing whatever income I gain. It is incumbant upon me to promote my hubs so that income is maximised. Creating content and promoting that content assists HP in gaining further audiences for us all. The better HP does the greater the potential for us all. Promoting each others hubs also assists all parties. This forum would not be available except for any assistance we can give to HP to allow it to host such a monetary overhead.
    So there is at least one member of HP that is both a writer (hopefully and still learning) and a mercenary and also one that celebrates the opportunity to do that and to participate in and observe the myriad of discussions that occur here untrammelled.

19. Eileen Hughes profile image63
    Eileen Hughesposted 13 years ago

Whether YOU write for pleasure at hubpages or to earn money makes no difference it is a PERSONAL choice.

Many people go to WORK and slog away for a boss with no appreciation whatsoever from the boss.

If you think of writing as a job then you will need to WORK to earn money whether it is at hubpages or any writing site.

It is a personal choice.

I love writing and whether I make money or not is my Business so why not let people do their own thing in their own way.

And let them all get on with what they want to do themselves without any back biting.  My personal view on this subject only

20. myownworld profile image73
    myownworldposted 13 years ago

I agree the term 'true writers' is debatable: those who write commercial hubs want to be considered as much of writers as those who write creative, non commercial ones. The snobbery (as seen from the comments throughout this thread) can be felt from both sides too, however thinly veiled. The good part is, HP has space for all kinds of writers...and you will find equally varied readership too. Just depends on your reasons for being here. And how financially dependent you are on your writing.

I do however feel that online writing in general is limited for creative writing - so you might want to try other avenues too. Not only are there other sites purely meant for it but there are offline options too like magazines, journals, newspapers or simply writing your own book!  smile

imho I feel anyone who can transfer thought onto paper is a writer whether it's done well or not.  But there are different types of writing, as you (and others) point out. smile

21. profile image0
    sord87posted 13 years ago

no one would ever write anything without money,even for books.Money still the first reason of anything in any activity.There is no such writing for fun .If you really want to be a writers it is much better to write in ezinearticle because they have their own panel boarl who will correct your article as their standard before publishing.I found out many hubpages writers reason is to make money.If you do not have that intention it is much better to read others hub ,do some comment,share it via facebook,twitter,email etc.Do not focus on writers intention but focus on the messages and subject.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image78
      Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So people write because they have to. It's not always about the money.

22. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/funny-pictures-cat-lives-in-a-depressed-economy2.jpg

23. AuthorSteve profile image60
    AuthorSteveposted 13 years ago

Just as in every comunity you have all sorts of people here on hubpages, that have all sorts of different aims.

I have made the experience that especially those users with a lot of Followers and a high Hubpage Rank seem to be some true writers and are writing because it is their passion.

24. andromida profile image56
    andromidaposted 13 years ago

No matter whether you want to make money or just want to write, keep writing quality hubs with useful information.

25. gracenotes profile image89
    gracenotesposted 13 years ago

I know the kind of writing I prefer to do, and it just wouldn't work at HubPages.

Also, I excel at writing book reviews.  But I'm a slow reader, and don't have time to read as many books as I would like.  I don't think I'll be doing many Amazon-based book reviews.

I would like to create a supplemental income here, and consequently, I have had to manage my expectations.  I do relish finding good hubs that were written just for fun, though.

But for me, it's not just a matter of wanting to express myself in writing.  Having to learn the business side forces me to learn new things that I feel are useful in a variety of contexts.  I also have a friend who has marketing experience, and who is working in an awful job.  I like to counsel her, and provide guidance and direction for Internet marketing opportunities.  Believe it or not, she's getting her first PC very soon!  I can't wait to hear her reaction when she discovers what's out there, and I could not provide intelligent commentary unless I were working on creating money-making hubs.

Oh, by the way, sales hubs are kind of fun to create, but only if I know the product.

26. profile image0
    DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years ago

Im mostly hear to read.  wink

27. Janet21 profile image80
    Janet21posted 13 years ago

To answer the OP's question, I personally do not consider myself a true writer. I am here to make money plain and simple.

To respond to carboncopyme's comments, I don't make a living on HP's, but I do make a living online and my income from HP's contributes about $1,000 a month to that income.

28. Sufidreamer profile image79
    Sufidreamerposted 13 years ago

^ Agreed

No idea what a 'true writer' is. For me, as long as somebody has the ability to shape language and stir the emotions, they are a writer. To be a successful sales writer, for example, you have to be able to do this or you won't sell a single thing.

Of course, this is only my opinion and everybody has their own take - writing is a very broad definition. Sales writers, creative writers, academic writers, technical writers, poets, ghost writers...the list goes on.

Just the same as when somebody is a constructor - are they a bricklayer, carpenter, plumber, electrician or plasterer? All of these are talented tradespeople, and none better than the other smile

29. snagerries profile image68
    snagerriesposted 13 years ago

Thats a very debatable topic here.. Though I have seen majority of people here aiming for money but as long as they are writing great content, it should be fine..

My thoughts on writing.... I think we are all much the same as actors. We have a voice and we want to be heard. Inside ourselves there is a need to be creative. Some are better at this than others. some have a wider vocabulary and use big words that no-one understands. (I'm not one of them.) Some are humorous and witty, some are descriptive and sensuous (I don't fit into that category either) Some are compelled to just write and express themselves, and tell anyone who is remotely interested about their take on life, love, family, their pets or whatever, but whatever it is we write about, somebody is going to be interested. Someone is gonna relate to whatever we write, whether it's for monetary gain or just for the pure pleasure of seeing our words in print.
      The only thing I dont like is when someone claims to be a writer when they can't spell or punctuate correctly. Face book does my head in when people go to great lengths to tell us what they did last night, or had for tea, and expect us to decipher their obscure text message language! It also happens on here I've noticed.

1. Ricky Covit profile image58
        Ricky Covitposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well my thoughts are that you write but ofcourse you need money to make a living so write with keywords in mind but write in such a good manner that people do not think that it is only for making money.

30. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I thought of Cosette after reading this. she can and does write both ways very well. even her 'sales' hubs are written very creatively. I want to read about whatever she sells, because she does it so well. that is a true writer IMO.
    I'm pretty certain Jane Austen could have written some very effective 'sales' hubs.

31. thisisoli profile image69
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

We get writers and money makers here, however if you are here to be a writer without researching money making do not expect to be both!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)