And people wonder what's happening? HAHA!

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (118 posts)
  1. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Hey Hubbers,

What do you think of this foolishness?

Raw Data from Playboy Magazine.
    (significa, insignifica, stats and facts)

[b]Two recent surveys on religious belief found that 61% of Americans believe god has pre-determined the course of their life, and 32% of those respondents said they also agree with the statement There is no sense in planning a lot because ultimately my fate is in god's hands

Talk about completely ignorant.

What do you think of it? Weigh in... wink big_smile

1. Sab Oh profile image57
      Sab Ohposted 13 years agoin reply to this

People who don't believe the same things you do are therefore "completely ignorant"? Maybe you have other things to work out than what other people believe...

Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's not a matter of believing anything with regards to me or did you miss that?

It's a couple of surveys. You either agree with or disagree with. I put my point out there. You don't like, then don't respond.

"It's not a matter of believing anything with regards to me"

That's exactly what it is when you declare anyone who disagrees with your beliefs "completely ignorant."

It would have been better had you stuck to the thread, instead of attempting to mock me. roll

Talk about useless.

I'm not trying to mock you. The entire premise of the thread was you pointing out what other people believe and then declaring those people "completely ignorant."

I merely responded to that.

The premise of the thread was not what I think.

It was about what other people think about their life. You bringing up my response to two survey is sad.

And, you did it without agreeing or disagreeing with those in the survey or not? You did even bother to say what you believe.

Yet, you claim not to be mocking me? Your actions are that of someone lost. hmm

"The premise of the thread was not what I think."

How can it not be when you open with:

"Talk about completely ignorant."

?

"Yet, you claim not to be mocking me? "

I am not mocking you.

roll

2. MikeNV profile image66
        MikeNVposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Amen tongue

3. wbfree profile image59
        wbfreeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree Sab Oh. It's so obvious that people who have a problem with God have chips on their shoulders and continually start argumentative threads trying to down grade or mock God, Christianity, and people of faith. Why can't they just leave it alone and let people believe what they want? They always have to be starting something.

lol lol

1. wbfree profile image59

My case is closed! You proved my point.

You proved you didn't have a point to begin with. That's about all you did. wink

2. Mark Knowles profile image58
              Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What point was that? That your ridiculous beliefs are guaranteed to cause a fight because you are incapable of keeping them to yourself and feel the need to interject them into every conversation?  Sure - I agree with that. Good for you sock puppet. lol

Dear me - no morals - that is your problem. Bet you are a Christian....... sad

Yep, my case have been proven. Too bad you couldn't keep your ridiculous comments to yourself. My case proven again.

If you don't have any morals. That's YOUR problem. Not mine.

Me a Christian?! Duh! Wow, you figured that out all by yourself. Great job Sherlock. My case proven AGAIN!

1. Mark Knowles profile image58

No - your humility and un-willingness to get into a fight gave you away. wink

Gen -u-ine.

No sir. You gave yourself away and proved my case that you and the author of this thread have a huge God chip on your shoulders. Your fight is not with me, but with Him. You can't get to God, so you want me and other Christians to fight with you. I'm not playing your game.

I've made my point, shaken the dust off my feet and moving on.

2. wbfree profile image59

Laugh on, but when all is said and done:

Proverbs 14:13 Even in laughter the heart is sorrowful; and the end of that mirth is heaviness.

Laugh on. Yup it up!

1. Pcunix profile image91
              Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Her Holy Snortings 9:18

===
              The IPU shook her mane, and looked off across the field. "Go away, Man." She spoke softly, even kindly. Usually her words were caustic, full of sarcasm and disgust. But now she seemed almost tender. No fire was in her eyes, and her hooves were not pounding the earth. "Go away," she repeated. "Go and pray to your invisible friend. Chastise yourself, and praise him. Punish everyone who will not join you in your delusion. Feel good about that, and believe that your Make Believe Buddy will reward you for your cruelty. Take his commandments, and rule your life by their words. Do not question anything, do not use your pitiful mind; simply give yourself over to this pathetic dream."
              =====

(As Translated from the Original Unicorn by Me and first published I Don't Remember When but it's pretty easy to find around the Net)

2. Pcunix profile image91

We aren't mocking any gods here (not that we might not elsewhere).

We are mocking people who think that their life is predetermined and that they have no choices.

If you said "I THINK my god wants me to do this" or even "I KNOW my god expects me to do that", that's very different from saying "There is no sense in planning a lot because ultimately my fate is in god's hands" or that their life is pre-determined.

Those are statements that can only be called ignorant.   In fact, any person making such a statement would have to agree:  they can't really be THINKING about anything if it's all predetermined - their creator must have designed every noise that passes through their alleged brains.

Such a fatalistic view also puts the problem of evil back on the god-thing itself.  That's why most religions insist we have free will - that's so they don't have to blame the Blameless One for evil and sin.

So, yeah, I'd agree that these people are ignorant.  Ignorant of religious thought, at the very least.

2. Dave Barnett profile image57
      Dave Barnettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

John Lennon said "life is what happens while you're busy making other plans" Most people are reluctant to sacrifice their illusion of "Free Will" which is incompatible with predetermined fate, But, if you hit a cue ball across the felt, it will cross from point A to B, yet along it's course, it passes an infinite number of points, which you predetermined by hitting the ball just the way you did.

1. Dave Barnett profile image57

In short, you can plan all you want, but God's the one who wrote the script. so you can plan to "ad lib", but if it's not in the script...

1. lorlie6 profile image72
          lorlie6posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ad libbing is also known as free will.

2. Pcunix profile image91

Then how would you explain evil?

3. bsscorpio8 profile image60
      bsscorpio8posted 13 years agoin reply to this

You know what this is saying? "Hey relax, go with the flow. What are you chasing? Where are you going?"

4. Yankee Reb profile image61
      Yankee Rebposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think the Hub was written by someone who has been enlightened by CORPORATE CHURCH and not God.

My family and I are in the belief that a God helps us every day ...

We are victims of the current economic downside and have taken about a $20,000 a year loss in income while cost of everything has goon up.

Just yesterday - we saved just enough ($6.00) for the gate fee (which would have left us with literally 2-cents in the account) to get into a local park with designated swimming so my son could enjoy a last blast before school starts.

When we got to the gate ... no one was there to take our money so we drove in

When we left - we decided to put the $6.00 toward a few food supplies so we went to Big Lots

...as we went in my son found a dime on the ground - pretty nice!

When we got to the register to pay for our stuff - the total was $6.08 which had us using the dime so that my son had 2-cents as did we.

Sure - many of you call the coincidence ... but that type of thing happens ALL THE TIME to get us by.
      When I say all the time little things like that happen just about daily (that we notice)

Every time we see things like that - we realize that if God feeds a bird in the winter why would he not meet our needs as well?

The little things you take for granted may well be the Blessings you don't think you get!

In life you head in a direction and do the best you can to appreciate what you are allowed to have ... tomorrow you may be removed from all of it through the results of an unexpected death - then what?

2. TMMason profile image60
    TMMasonposted 13 years ago

I think, they don't understand the plan, Cags.

Or should I say, that is not the way I understand the plan.

Thier understanding strikes me as fatalistic at the very least, bordering nihilistic.

3. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

I think it is sad.

If that is true, how do these people justify punishing anyone?  Do they think free will only applies to good and evil?

The figures for this sort of ignorance are much lower in other countries - what makes Americans so foolish?

4. Reality Bytes profile image74
    Reality Bytesposted 13 years ago

It sounds like there are many people who feel they are not in control of what happens to their lives.  It is kind of sad for people to believe that no matter how hard they try the chips will fall where they will.

This thread is already amusing on several levels.

2. Dave Barnett profile image57

Au contrere, mon frere. I am in control, for if The Big G wants me to go here instead of there, I can go there. That doesn't mean that I am foiling the God by my actions. The whole thing is a logical trap.

5. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

98% of statistics are made up on the spot.

Unfortunately, this is believable, when you look at America's society overall.

2. Sab Oh profile image57

"98% of statistics are made up on the spot."

Like that one!

1. Pandoras Box profile image61
        Pandoras Boxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

He clearly made that up.

3. Teresa McGurk profile image61
      Teresa McGurkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

--only 83% of the time.

6. _cheryl_ profile image82
    _cheryl_posted 13 years ago

If that's the case then why do anything at ALL! Let's all just sit our a$$ down with our fingers up our noses waiting for our lives fall to fate. Okay, that's sarcastically speaking. lol! But really, I personally believe in God. So with my belief, there's all the more reason to put to work all the great things I believe have been given to me. What good is a gift if it's not opened and used? We're not here to be puppets, we're made as human beings with our own brains, own minds, our own hearts. Regardless if you belive in God or not, to live life to the best of your ability which includes respecting life and showing responsibility among many things should be a striving factor towards achieving the most out of life. It's predetermined by our parents (most of us) that we will grow up and go to school. BUT- you still have those who drop out or fail. It takes consistent personal effort and hard work to be the best you can possibly be in order for your life to go the way you want it. Me personally, if you do all you can possibly do in life towards being the best that you can for yourself and towards others, everything falls into place. And if not, you'll have the mental strength through God to deal with anything that comes along. I don't agree with people who claim to have faith in God yet show no effort and actions towards putting forth their personal best in their lives. So your statistic to me is completely ignorant. What good is living if you don't work towards acheiving and planning, setting goals. For some of us God is a motivating factor and others seem to look at him as a genie. smile

7. megs78 profile image60
    megs78posted 13 years ago

I think it makes sense.  If God has pre-determined someones fate, then ultimately, their fate is in His hands.  What is so confusing about those two statements?  or did I interpret it wrong?

1. TMMason profile image60
      TMMasonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

God has not pre-determined your fate, you have free choice.

God has simply seen your choices and the outcomes, and allowed you to make and live them.

It is not that he makes, or determines your choices for you. He has simply seen what your choices will be.

1. megs78 profile image60
        megs78posted 13 years agoin reply to this

ummm, did you actually take the time to read this thread?  because if you did, you would know I was merely responding to a quote, not making a statement.

1. TMMason profile image60
          TMMasonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

oh I read the thread... I am just continueing along.

Why?

Do you always take offense to anyone simply speaking to you. Is there something wrong with me talking about another view? lol

And you not only made a statement in the above... you asked 2 ?s also.

1. megs78 profile image60
            megs78posted 13 years agoin reply to this

no, i just don't want you insinuating that I took that stand.  I didn't.  I simply didn't see how those two statements were contradictory or ignorant as the poster implied.  Thats it.

Hey Mega,

The ignorance is in believing that life is pre-determined. wink

"The ignorance is in believing that life is pre-determined."

Ok, it is clear that you disagree, but why is that "ignorance"?

Because it is a lack of(ignorance) understanding their own life. But, I would thought you knew that already. wink

In Sab's world, WE are all ignorant.  Therefore, anything we say must be wrong, even when it plainly isn't.

Tell him/it/her anything: you'll be wrong.

I already explained why it is ignorant, Oh Masked One.

"Because it is a lack of(ignorance) understanding their own life."

So, you think YOU know the truth of life where others do not...?

8. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

I don't know...

Oh you sinful generation, you who have so little faith, and so little understanding. LOL

1. Misha profile image62
        Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Umm, yeah, OK, certainly you have more lol

9. Evan G Rogers profile image60
    Evan G Rogersposted 13 years ago

First, let's not jump to whack-o conclusions.

If you agree with a statement, then that doesn't mean you just sit around all day waiting for god to tell you what to do.

I'm an atheist and all, but no matter HOW much someone thinks that they are being controlled by god, they still aren't capable of shedding their evolutionary-generated need to survive and plan ahead.

10. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

ah, come on guys, no plans for the day. lol  [sorry..]

hey, here's part of a great quote I read yesterday by Thoreau.
    "Men are in the main alike, but they were made several in order they they might be various.. "   

in other words, we're all different but the same.
    as far as not planning.. probably why some are more successful than the rest..

11. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Hey Mark, nice to see you. smile How are you? smile

Hot and sticky. big_smile You?

Inside air conditioning... lol But, it's hot and sticky outside. smile

No A/C - melting. sad

12. katiem2 profile image60
    katiem2posted 13 years ago

I believe MY life is what I make of it!  Peace smile

13. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

I wonder where in the Plan we atheists fit?

Gosh, what a strange plan it must be.   Perhaps we got rewarded for being extra good in some previous life - rewarded by being free of brain warping nonsense?

No, that wouldn't make sense, would it?

I like the IPU, myself.  Thundering Inaudible Hooves, Invisible Pinkness, Pineapple and Ham Pizza - stuff that makes SENSE!

14. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

What seems funny to me is that apparently 29% believe God has predetermined their life but don't believe that He controls it.

Contradictions in religious thought?  Impossible!

Sounds ignorant to me. big_smile

Hey, Cag, remember me? I asked you days ago why you were in a religious forum, when you obviously think anyone who believes in something is fulla crap. You must be really insecure with your own beleifs, otherwise why do you insist in participating in something you think is fulla crap? Is your lack of faith eating at you? I get the impression you are quite young, say, like ten?

Just trying to educate the ignorant - but - as you say - you can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make him drink.

Sorry me trying to help people deal with their fear bothers you so. You must be very angry. Take it out on some homosexuals why don't you?

"Sorry me trying to help people deal with their fear bothers you so. "

Shouldn't you work out your own fears first? And shouldn't we stick to the thread topic instead of these unproductive asides?

Sorry TK Sensei - I didn't mean to talk about things you are incapable of grasping. My mistake.

Lets get back to wot god sed.

Did god sed it wot u dun got no choices TK?

Keep calling me other people's names all you want, it really won't distract from your avoidance of your own fears.

What fears are they TK Sensei?

I already said I am scared of people who think they have an invisible super being in complete control of their actions.

Aren't you?

15. LeanMan profile image79
    LeanManposted 13 years ago

I love the religious forums... Always good for a laugh...

Instead of debating something it always degenerates into insulting each other... It's a bit like a bad marriage!

If someone wont agree with your point you insult them...

You all act like kids.... Will you be having a fight after school behind the bike sheds?

I thought it was a good topic to post about... but some people just have to make it personal rather than debate it...

Off to bed, my choice not gods... I control my life (well most of it when my wife lets me..)

This is A LOT like a bad marriage, and like you, LeanMan, I'm outta here.

"You all act like kids.... Will you be having a fight after school behind the bike sheds?"

Would that it were that easy. Harder, it seems, to exercise some self control in discussion. But if we all just try, we can all make it that much better...

1. psycheskinner profile image84
        psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

[insert ironic smiley here]

3. Pandoras Box profile image61
      Pandoras Boxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Smart man. wink

16. Pandoras Box profile image61
    Pandoras Boxposted 13 years ago

So yeah. It's partly silly feel-good charismatics, and partly fundamental calvinists.

TULIP. Total depravity (of humans), unconditional election (to salvation by god), Limited Atonement (Christ's death on the crucifix only atoned for the sins of the elect, not for the sins of everybody), ummm... oh yeah - Irresistable Grace (the elect cannot resist or reject god's salvation, and likewise the unelect can not choose salvation) and Preserverance of the Saints (aka once saved, always saved).

Those are the five points of calvinism, made up by John Calvin, a man recently inserted into Texas history books in place of Thomas Jefferson, because the 'Saints' of Texas decided that John Calvin had more influence in American history than Jefferson did, even though Calvin never stepped a foot in the 'new world'.

It suddenly occurs to me that Texas may be right. hmm

17. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 13 years ago

97% of all my friends have no free will at all!  I asked them and they didn't even know what free will is!

Mega, I have no idea where I LEFT mine, so I guess I'll just leave this 'discussion' to the others.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)