counting calories!!

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (21 posts)
  1. dinkan53 profile image71
    dinkan53posted 13 years ago

climbing up 10 floors= 120 calories
    20 chips=110 calories
    1green tea=15 calories

Share your knowledge of calorie counting

2. Kimberly Bunch profile image60
    Kimberly Bunchposted 13 years ago

What a life when you have to count calories!! Sad world for those who must do it. Even though I have considered counting those calories and the best I've came up with is looking in shock at the back of packages!!

Instead I did it the Zen way and stopped eating at noon. That way I'm not spending my life worrying about every calorie added through the day. To depressing for me. But those who do it good job and way to go. It stresses me out to much! Lol.

1. dinkan53 profile image71
      dinkan53posted 13 years agoin reply to this

missing a lunch means the same as not refueling your car. "Have breakfast alone, have lunch with a friend and dinner with an enemy". You have to be quite sure that you are getting enough calories every day, that is enough. The knowledge of calories can be share with for example friend or a relative who got over weight.

3. deweyduck profile image60
    deweyduckposted 13 years ago

"Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 Calorie Diet" - that's what it says on almost every nutritional label.

I guess counting calories in some situations is useful.  For example, if you're healthy and at a good weight, I can see someone wanting to eat just enough and not go overboard.  And the opposite for someone overweight trying to lose weight.  Unfortunately, it can be annoying.

I think people know what's good food and what's bad.  Go for the good food to avoid calorie counting.  Funny though, the bad stuff usually tastes better, has the most calories/fat/sodium/heart-stopping-goodness, and is irresistible!

4. hubscribe profile image60
    hubscribeposted 13 years ago

Hi all.  Great topic!

I find that counting servings is more realistic than counting calories.  For example if I order a chicken burger that comes with a salad, I dont' count every calorie.  Instead I focus on food groups and serving recommendations. 

I won't even bother counting the the calories of the lettuce, tomato and other fruits and veggies on the plate.  I focus on the meats and fats.  For example I am recommended by the Mayo Clinic four daily servings of Protein and Dairy.  Since most burger patties are actually two servings, I know I should cut the burger in half and save the rest for lunch the next day. 

This kind of food group eyeballing (if you will) works better for me and encourages me to eat more fruits and veggies.

I hope that adds to the convo.  Cheers!

5. timorous profile image81
    timorousposted 13 years ago

I hate to mention...but exercise is part of the calories equation, like it or not.  If you're not very active, go easy on the higher calories foods like meat, and especially soft drinks, and unfortunately...beer.

Any good nutrition book will give you a good idea what sort of calories most foods and quantities have.  Once you know that, just use common sense.  A few calories here and there isn't going to have any kind of impact, really.

1. nlowman profile image60
      nlowmanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Don't hate to mention. That's why such a large portion of the U.S. is overweight. Many people are afraid of exercise. Not everyone has to lift gigantic weights or run marathons, but everyone can take a walk and climb some stairs. You'll live longer too, and have a more comfortable time living.

Regarding calories, my tidbit is 3,500 calories equals one pound. What this means is gaining a pound equals consuming 3,500 more calories than one burns, and losing a pound is burning 3,500 more calories than one consumes. An average beer contains about 150 calories, so just add that to whatever food you've eaten in the day (http://www.beer100.com/beercalories.htm). The total calorie content quickly increases.

6. ftclick profile image55
    ftclickposted 13 years ago

I don't count them to much. I basically reduce the portion size an don't eat junk foods as much. I still like them but no everyday any more especially those bagels, muffins, cakes, triple sandwiches, etc.
    I always exercised a lot so it has paid off.  You cannot seriously expect to live a long a healthy life downing soft drinks and being inactive. Some do that and are lucky but if your family has a tendency to weight gain, watch out.
    66% of the USA is overweight, 33% are obese according to industry reports.
    I blame it on the fast food industry, the huge restaurant portion sizes and simply inactivity. I can leave the states, lose weight, feel better, because of healthier food, come back and regain it again. Hey, I wouldn't trade the variety of foods here for anything though, it's just having discipline.
    Except for Thanksgiving, Holidays, Sports games...etc...oh it is tough. believe me.

7. profile image0
    wademcmasterposted 13 years ago

Some useful info for all those kilojoule counts on nutrition data -

1 Calorie = 4.2 Kilojoules -

Also 1g of Protein or Carbs is 4 calories
    and 1g Fat is 9 calories.

These can be useful if information on a certain food is incomplete.

1. Aisla profile image76
      Aislaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is important to understand that when you count calories you are actually counting how much energy your body is burning.
      This is controlled by your metabolic rate at rest. Like a light bulb conserves energy when it is switched off so does the body in times of starvation .
      If you over eat the metabolism answers by getting quicker but this stops at a certain level and excess energy consumed is stored in different rooms ( Ie the butt, waist ,boobs etc)
      So instead of counting calories try looking at how much energy your body is using in relation to the amount of food passing your lips.

8. optimus grimlock profile image59
    optimus grimlockposted 13 years ago

it all depends on your lifestyle,goals and what works for you. You may need more or less of each micronutriant you just have to make it simple. personlly i focus on protein sometimes carbs sp i dont count calories.

9. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

One pound of fat = 3,500 calories. If you're trying to lose weight, let's say 1 lb. per week, it's a fairly simple matter of eliminating 3,500 calories from your diet per week or 500 calories per day. You can do this through cutting back on calories or burning them off through exercise. Your choice.

The US government just completed a multi-year study comparing different types of low-calorie diets (low-fat, low-carb, high-protein, etc.). What they discovered is that it really doesn't make a difference when it comes to weight loss. A calorie is a calorie. Low-carb diets don't perform any better than low-fat or any other type of diet.

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I could have told the government this 30 years ago.  We had to spend tax dollars on another idiotic study.  Sorry.  Just had to say that.

10. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 13 years ago

low carbs AND low sugar reductions are necessary to lose weight.
    I find that i lose weight faster when I stop the sugar..
    that's difficult now around the holidays..hmm

11. joleenruffin profile image59
    joleenruffinposted 13 years ago

When I am counting calories, I use the BodyBugg to help me. I strap it around my arm in the morning and it measures exactly how many calories I burn throughout the day.

12. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

20 shots of Crown Royal Whiskey... 2100 calories

20 glasses of Crown Royal Whiskey with Diet coke... 2100 calories

smile

1. princess g profile image60
      princess gposted 13 years agoin reply to this

mmmmmm...whiskey:)

1. Greek One profile image63
        Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

you're too young.. look away

13. couturepopcafe profile image60
    couturepopcafeposted 13 years ago

A really good rule of thumb is to eat foods in their most whole state.  Like an apple instead of apple juice, whole grain oatmeal instead of an oat muffin, a chicken leg (or whatever part) instead of McD's chicken fingers.  If you eat slowly, your brain has a chance to tell your body you're full.  If you eat whole foods, your body has real nutrition it can use instead of empty or artificial man-made food which it does not recognize.  Since the nutritional value is usually low in man-made and chemically enhanced foods, the brain sends a signal to eat more to get the nutrition you need.

1. timorous profile image81
      timorousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I couldn't have said it better myself.  Thank you couturepopcafe smile

14. ftclick profile image55
    ftclickposted 13 years ago

smaller portion sizes along with 2 small mini-workouts will do wonders. Especially a mini-workout (15 minutes) when you wake-up BEFORE breakfast.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)