You know you spend too much time on the internet when.....

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (27 posts)
  1. Spacey Gracey profile image40
    Spacey Graceyposted 13 years ago

......at a family party you spend half an hour boring your dad to death trying to explain the difference between internet marketing and newspaper advertising. He works for local press and thinks the internet might be the future - wow I've got a lot of work to do on him smile. Nice to feel like an expert for a little while though.

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...You goto work and spend time trying to explain the difference between a "dofollow" and "nofollow" backlink. Luckily I've already got one of my work colleagues on HP so she puts up with me!

2. Spacey Gracey profile image40

No work to go to thankfully, and I definitely wouldn't bother trying to explain this to my kids. A few people have asked me to explain what I do, but once I start explaining about all the different things I do online, I see them shuffling their feet hard on the ground - I guess they are trying to politely dig a hole big enough to hide in so they can get away from me smile

3. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 13 years ago

you actually start to ENJOY responding with long answers and barely understandable comedy to inane threads on "is der God or what", Obama did it, descriptions of very personal problems and asking for advice, and you don't care at all who sees the crap you write in the forums!   I'm there!  beware!

4. Spacey Gracey profile image40

mega1 - that is exactly my frame of mind tonight. I am so tired and should be in bed and I am just waffling on in the forum's and flagging hubs while hub hopping. It's nice to see it is all Obama's fault. For a while here is was always Thatcher's fault, more recently it was all down to Brown. Right now we are pretty confused about who to blame so maybe we should go with Obama too.

We've forgotten about Obama over here - a couple of weeks ago our Prime Minister (Kevin Rudd) was REPLACED while in office. I had no idea they could do that... it's been termed a "Midnight execution" because his female deputy supposedly went to talk to him at night and then in the morning challenged him for the prime ministership!

1. mega1 profile image80
        mega1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't know anything about Rudd - what wrong thing did he do?

Not sure. Dealing with the economic recession he managed to keep Australia from going into it with big injections of funds into our economy. I think what he did most PMs would have done in his place. Then suddenly we wake up in the morning to a new PM.

I reckon no one will vote for that party (Labor) in the election. Backstabbers!

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
            Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have a feeling that Kevin Rudd became unpopular due to the 'promises' of what he wanted to do when he was elected and changed completely to other issues.

Then we had the GFC
            Then we had Global Warming pushed hard onto us for the purposes of a new tax - Carbon Emissions tax (proposed)
            Then we had the National Broadcasting Network outlined to us (a good thing, but years away)
            Then we had the scandal of the rorting of the roofing insulation.
            Then he had the complete hospital system taken from the states to be managed federally.
            Then he wanted to take additional taxes from the big Mining companies.

and all this time he popularity waned and waned and waned.

IMO, I am surprised that Julia Gillard didn't do it sooner. She may indeed get elected. Paul Keating did it to Bob Hawk 20 odd years ago.

I'm voting for the Greens!

I won't be voting for the Greens, but Bob Brown is actually a likeable and respectable pollie, very very rare in Aussie Politics. I know as I have met and talked with him.

5. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 13 years ago

It's such a big world, so full of so many with such small minds!  Why am I always amazed.  I come to the forums to just relate to others, maybe discuss things in a quasi-intelligent way, poke a little fun, flirt, be silly etc.  Then some wanks post obviously wrong thread titles just to harass and incite people into an argument - not a discussion, but an argument - and we all know how much good arguing does!  Everytime I look and see that a known crazy has stopped posting, there is someone new to take their place.  I don't know why it bothers me when people place blame - it just does - especially when there is no way in hell the blam-ee could possibly be responsible for whatever.  Most days I can ignore that crap - why not today?  planetary influence no doubt.

6. M.s Fowler profile image42
    M.s Fowlerposted 13 years ago

When you start talking internet talk like ikr!

7. liljen23 profile image75
    liljen23posted 13 years ago

When you dream of having a nice big google adsense check come in the mail from making over 1,000 hubs.. LOL..This was a nice dream for me..

8. Teresa McGurk profile image60
    Teresa McGurkposted 13 years ago

You know you spend too much time on the internet when the dog has to come remind you to have supper; the Fed Ex guy waits while you go hit "send" on an email; you have found the perfect angle at which to hold your laptop and the perfect angle at which to recline in your armchair while you do so.

When you check the temperature on the net instead of looking at the thermometer outside the window;

when the dog has to remind you to feed him HIS supper;

when you need to pee, but two hours later you realize you've been reading and writing, instead, and it's difficult to stand up straight on the dash to the loo;

you balance your coffee cup so expertly on the bottom left-hand area of your laptop that you never spill any anymore--took me about four years to learn this; now I can instantly lift the laptop up, balance tea or coffee, put the plug (that the other dog pulls out by getting the cord wound around her leg) back in with my feet and continue talking on my speaker phone without missing a beat.

when you download so many new add-ons and extensions to your multiple browsers that it slows down yer whole browsing experience;

when you try beta versions of everything just to see how they work

when you sleep with the laptop beside your pillow in case you need it during the night.

and the first thing you do in the morning is check emails

Oh dear. 

I need to get out more. . . .

1. mega1 profile image80

you're good!  I'm just fortunate I only spilled coffee on my keyboard once and that was cuz I was laughing so hard at something denno said in the forum.  Luckily after several weeks the sticky keys no longer bothered me.

1. Teresa McGurk profile image60
        Teresa McGurkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I drowned my first laptop in tea.

I considered putting cling wrap over the keyboard, but only ever remembered that I had planned to do that right after I spilled another cuppa.

1. mega1 profile image80

haha - maybe it seems strange but I didn't get a laptop partly because I knew I would just drop it, step on it or something worse and I never go anywhere anyway because I'm so online all the time.  I would like to be able to work in different places but I keep telling myself that this way I will spend less time online - with a laptop I wouldn't EVER go off line, even when in the bathroom - probably set it on the stool while I was in the shower - so you see . . .

9. kmackey32 profile image64
    kmackey32posted 13 years ago

You mess ur pants... haha... And Im jus sayn....

10. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 13 years ago

when you wake up in the night worrying about your online friends' problems

when you jump (and say "s**T) EVERY SINGLE TIME the phone rings or someone calls out to you because you're so engrossed in your blog or hub or email

Which is an upgrade from when you'd say that... because you had dial up and it cut you off the internet!

11. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

You trade your computer chair for a potty chair.

1. Lily Rose profile image86
      Lily Roseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol

12. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 13 years ago

someone responds with a two line comment and you write 1000 words about it!

13. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years ago

That you wake up one day and try to make a coffee and wonder for about 7 minutes why there is blood all over the place. You realize its from SO much typing on the keyboard, all your fingers are gone and your hands are bloody stumps!

1. mega1 profile image80

yuck!  now how are you gonna get your comments and see what your hubber score is today?  that's bloody irritating, dude!

easy, we still have elbows wink

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)