do you think being skinny means being beautiful?

Jump to Last Post 1-32 of 32 discussions (49 posts)
  1. Bikash jha profile image60
    Bikash jhaposted 13 years ago

people in past thought that being fat meant beauty so isnt it beauty is more social rather than being natural?

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

i have seen some ugly-a$$ skinny chicks too.

beauty comes in all shapes and sizes, and i think women look better filled out a little. not obese, but a little softness and curves. to me, nothing is uglier than a scrawny Internet blonde with huge hard breast implants, but that's just my opinion.

2. nightwork4 profile image62
      nightwork4posted 13 years agoin reply to this

beauty today is whatever fashion and marketers tell us it is. personal opinion is gone in so many cases. we can say that all women are beautiful but all women don't sell. if advertisers started using big women or men to sell products, in a few years skinny people would be the "new ugly".i hate to admit it but the human mind is very easy to manipulate.

Bikash jhaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

i agree with you

2. Chaotic Chica profile image60
        Chaotic Chicaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well said! That's pretty much was I was fixin' to say but seeing as how you said it for me, well, I think it will suffice to say that I agree! smile

3. D_D_Brown profile image61
      D_D_Brownposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think it is each individuals likes and dislikes.   It can be cultural or sociological, however I think that to many people are hyped up on what is viewed in the magazines, etc.  All these mediums are there to sell magazines or products inside the magazines.  I personally like my ladies to have a little bit of meat on their bones, skeletons just don't do it for me. :-)

4. Loving_Life profile image62
      Loving_Lifeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think being TOO skinny is disgusting!! Having a little bit of weight on a woman makes her look healthy....But being overweight looks and is bad!!

5. profile image29
      lifelongseoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I like those designers, but some designers out there really need to get back to a real fashion sence of what people really wear and can afford.

<a href="http://www.desisuit.com/">  Desisuit </a>

2. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

WHY ARE YOU YELLING AT US? sad

People on this side of the world think you are really Rude for YELLING with the CAPS button! 

We are in NZ and I don't think we need to hear you asking questions when we are trying to watch TV!!! roll

HOW do you like it when people are YELLING during a good Movie huh? hmm

are you crazy or something?

1. Pearldiver profile image67
        Pearldiverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Crazy??? yikes

Who Are You Calling Crazy?? hmm

Kiwis Aren't Crazy Mate! smile

Let's Just Say - Something Huh? hmm

I Was Trying to tell you something Which Clearly bounced of a vacant spot and missed it's mark!

If You Write in CAPS it is regarded by people on this side of the world as being rude - loud - arrogant.
        We have different cultures (perhaps you have noticed that?) that means different things have different meanings. 
        If you choose to YELL in the forums then I'll show you what I can do with my right hand that may offend your culture.. Comprende?
        Or you can just be polite and respect the protocol hmm

dude i just didnt realise that CAPS lock was on while writing it, is that its all about. wow you are so culturus huh!. why dont you use your wit in something more important.

2. nightwork4 profile image62
          nightwork4posted 13 years agoin reply to this

easy bud. you still haven't answered the question.

3. freecampingaussie profile image62
    freecampingaussieposted 13 years ago

good looks fade but inner beauty lasts . Neither being too skinny or to big is good for you.
    Everyone has their own ideas and fortunatly diferent tastes !can be skinny with a bitchy personality, bigger with a friendly fun attitude!

4. Polly C profile image90
    Polly Cposted 13 years ago

Beauty comes from the inside and shines through to the outside.

right

5. Joy56 profile image66
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

there is  no easy answer to this.  I have never been thin.  Would love to be.... I have to say that no matter how much we all try to say it matters what a person is like inside, etc etc.  I think deep down everyone would prefer to be slim than overweight.  I would for sure.

6. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

No.

1. WryLilt profile image89
      WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm so skinny boys used to say they'd rather have a fatter girl. sad Lucky I got someone who likes skinny now.

7. profile image0
    sunrise2012posted 13 years ago

No of course being skinny does not make you Beautiful, this modern superficial epidemic is ridiculous...

Some of the funnest girls i have ever been with in my life have been "larger than life" smile

Its all about the soul...

1. Joy56 profile image66
      Joy56posted 13 years agoin reply to this

i am funny, but i would rather be skinny, maybe skinny and funny that would be a good conbination eh sunrise.

8. 2uesday profile image66
    2uesdayposted 13 years ago

No looking beautiful does not neccessarily mean being skinny.
    Beauty comes in many shapes, sizes and personality.

9. Info Bucket profile image62
    Info Bucketposted 13 years ago

I don't think SO.

10. I_Write profile image60
    I_Writeposted 13 years ago

As long as you believe you are beautiful,you will be beautiful to the world,regardless of shape,size and features).

11. kmackey32 profile image65
    kmackey32posted 13 years ago

I used to be too skinny.. I'm still small but now I have a shape an like it much better, everyone tells me I look healthier too. Being too skinny makes people look sick an its not beautiful...

12. OldenbuzzDotCom profile image70
    OldenbuzzDotComposted 13 years ago

"Sex appeal is 50 percent what you've got and 50 percent what people think you've got." --Sophia Loren

13. Shil1978 profile image88
    Shil1978posted 13 years ago

It depends on how 'skinny' you mean. If you mean skinny as in most of your rib bones showing, then I'd certainly not think that as a sign of beauty for sure.

In fact, if a person is that thin, it certainly won't be good for them health-wise!! Generally, I am concerned at how teenagers starve themselves almost to become thinner and thinner! Some cases are disturbing!!

1. Sunshiney31 profile image68
      Sunshiney31posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm just trying to be comfortable in my own skin.My Mom always went around saying she's fat ,even though she was beautiful and just right .Now I fight that same battle I;ve given birth to 6 beautiful children and I guess I should be proud to carry a little morsel of them around with me,even if it is in my thighs smile Still though Id like to be a bit smaller,I like the way I feel 15 pounds lighter

14. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

No. I think a beautiful figure is a healthy toned figure.

15. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

i am too skinny before then I eat and eat and eat, and so I gained weight not so skinny now, I am 102 lbs now so I dont look like elementary children here, what makes a person beautiful is the ability to smile and be confident about yourself.

1. Princessa profile image81
      Princessaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi, you are pretty, you have a lovely smile and for the little I can see in the forums and your hubs, you have a great personality smile

16. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

there's a difference between being skinny and being slim. some people have a small frame, others have a larger frame.
    what is beautiful is a healthy, confident human being. if too skinny, or too large, those two qualities may be missing.  people are beautiful from the inside out. we should concentrate more on beautiful thoughts and happiness.

17. Princessa profile image81
    Princessaposted 13 years ago

No, being beautiful for me means being confident with yourself.  Being able to love yourself regardless of your size or shape.

I don't go around with people because they are beautiful (slim or fat) I hang around with them because they are people who I like, who are able to laugh with me, people who are there for me when I need them.

In any event, the concept of beauty varies from country to country, what is beautiful in one part of the world might not be pretty in another part.

18. Three-Legged Dog profile image63
    Three-Legged Dogposted 13 years ago

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Or it's manipulated by PhotoShop.

19. Derek D profile image59
    Derek Dposted 13 years ago

There's more to beauty than meets the eye cool

20. Research Analyst profile image73
    Research Analystposted 13 years ago

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, beauty is only skin deep, Physical beauty is superficial. We have all heard those sayings before, basically a pleasing exterior is no guide to a person's interior or character.

The priority should be about being healthy, a person can be considered heavy or big by society standards and actually be healthier than a skinny person who is malnourished and put on the cover of fashion magazine.

21. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

...no...and not everyone is meant to be slim...skinny sounds really unhealthy or sickly looking...

22. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

Beauty comes in all shapes, sizes and colors, and since it does beauty is much more than what is seen on a first impression.

Lately I've noticed TV commercials where skinny women in bikinis are running on the beach.  As they run it's easy to see the skin of their legs flopping, loosely, back and forth as if it were running a race.  Not a beautiful image to go along with the beautifully made-up faces.

23. profile image52
    Maralyn45posted 13 years ago

I am not in favour of looking skinny....One shud look healthy too but not fatty...

24. Disturbia profile image61
    Disturbiaposted 13 years ago

Being skinny means only one thing, BEING SKINNY, and that has nothing to do with being beautiful at all.

25. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

I'm very skinny - think anorexic catwalk model skinny.

I hated it as a teenager because all the boys thought I was "too skinny". So no, I think the general male consensus seems to be that curves are good!

26. spiderpam profile image73
    spiderpamposted 13 years ago

no, but being healthy is NEVER a bad thing.

27. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 13 years ago

During the Baroque period skinny women were considered ugly. I am waiting for the 1700's fashion to come back! lol In the meantime, I'll keep going to the gym everyday.

28. profile image52
    jayakolposted 13 years ago

No absolutely not. Being skinny means under weight and also can cause a lot of health problems. Beauty lies within. Always try to maintain your weight, eat healthy and most importantly keep your skin healthy and glowing. A healthy and glowing skin is always noticed in the crowd.

29. FashionFame profile image58
    FashionFameposted 13 years ago

NOT AT ALL!! You need to be healthy and fit for being beautiful, not skinny or overweight.

1. sofs profile image77
      sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I like fashion fame 's reply is in red!!!  NOT AT ALL!
      I believe you need some curves to hold not a rake!

30. Fashion Lover profile image60
    Fashion Loverposted 13 years ago

Being skinny has nothing to do with how beautiful someone is. To me, a person with a good heart and personality is beautiful. No matter how beautiful you are on the outside, if you're arrogant and obnoxious, you will always be a ugly person. I'm a skinny person but I think being healthy and helping others is beautiful.

31. KCC Big Country profile image84
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

Having struggled with weight issues all my life, I think the grass often seems greener on the other side.  We'd like to think we'd be more beautiful or desirable if we were thinner. To many we probably would be.  However, a good attitude/personality will always allow others to see your true inner beauty no matter what size you are.

32. lea86 profile image61
    lea86posted 13 years ago

For real, being skinny is ugly and make you look unhealthy. Just imagine the skeleton( flat chess and flat ass)and to my view, it just bones covered with the skin.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)