where does everyone get there photos from and how to avoid copyright??

Jump to Last Post 1-37 of 37 discussions (69 posts)
  1. profile image0
    markbennisposted 13 years ago

Hello all, this might seem a stupid one but I still haven't figured it out yet.  What is the score with applying photos to your hub, I mean can you just scroll the web and copy any photo you like??  I'm confused.... 
    I understand the video aspect and that's cool embedded Url?? well it works anyway, just not sure with the photos?  Would appreciate the help, many thanks mark.

1. Haunty profile image73
      Hauntyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hello Mark,

Just remember, you can almost always get your answers immediately by using the search tool.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/23068

2. lawretta profile image61
      lawrettaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hmmmmmm... fotosearch

3. yogapro profile image60
      yogaproposted 13 years agoin reply to this

you could use www.flickr.com. An excellent resource for great pictures. But please use only those pictures under creative commons license.

4. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

i always just use google images, then select the images that DON'T have a copyright tag on it.  so far that works out well for me.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
        Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In that case, you're stealing.

99% of copyrighted photos do not have any copyright tag on them. 

All photos are copyright UNLESS it's specifically stated otherwise.

The reality is you probably won't get caught, because there's no easy way for photographers to search for stolen content.  So it comes down to your conscience.  If you feel it's OK to steal the work of another creative artist, then I would be disgusted with you but that's your call.

1. profile image0

well to be perfectly honest.  i didn't know that was technically a form of stealing, as camlo just said I would never intentially steal anything if I knew about it.  however, i'll definitely try to be more aware of this in the future, and try to make the necessary steps in the future to avoid this on future hubs AND correct the problem on my current ones as well.  i can't promise it'll be right away, since I'm kind of too busy these days to go through almost over 200 hubs, but I will whenever I get the chance.  i didn't know it was wrong, as hubpages never once unpublished or flagged me for doing it, so i naturally assumed it wasn't a form of stealing.  however, from what you've just told me, I guess you can say i stand corrected.  thank you for pointing this out to me.

Thanks Stevennix, I thought that might be the case. 

HubPages doesn't check the copyright of anything, text or photos, unless the original owner complains - so you wouldn't be unpublished for using them. And HP can't flag copied photos because there isn't an easy way of finding duplicates for photos, unlike text.  So it does all come down to a matter of conscience. 

If you want to use Google images, you need to use the Advanced Search and select "for commercial use".   But the selection usually isn't that great.

1. profile image0

really?  how do you use advanced search?

1. profile image0

never mind, i figured it out.

2. life-is-sweet profile image58
          life-is-sweetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi,

If I use google images and then cite the site the image came from, is that still stealing? Will I be in trouble if someone sees their image on my articles even though I link back to their site?

1. MyWebs profile image78
            MyWebsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Using a copyrighted image without proper permission is still copyright infringement no matter if you give credit or not. You need to look for images that are licensed in such a way that allow commercial usage. Creative Commons and some Royalty Free images that allow commercial usage are what I would suggest you look for.

The other day I found one of my hubs copy pasted word for word to their blog, with a link back to my hub. Do you think I'm any happier because they gave me a link while stealing my content??? Hell no I'm not happy about that link, I filled a DMCA dispute with Google! How is what your suggesting any different?

2. Marisa Wright profile image85

Yes it is still stealing and yes you could be in trouble. There's a special kind of licence called Creative Commons, which means the photographer is OK with you using the photo so long as you credit them back.  If the photo doesn't say it has that kind of licence, it's not OK.

Oops - MyWebs beat me to it!

5. PhoenixV profile image63
      PhoenixVposted 13 years agoin reply to this

http://copyrightfreephotos.blogspot.com/

These are a fellow Hubber and friend Ocean. She made this blog with her own photos to share and use as you wish.

1. PhoenixV profile image63
        PhoenixVposted 13 years agoin reply to this

PS She likes followers on that blog smile So if you have a Google account please follow!

She made this blog especially for all your concerns and because of the difficulty the average person has in getting "real free photos"

http://copyrightfreephotos.blogspot.com/

6. mailxpress profile image51
      mailxpressposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi,
      A Hubber introduced me to Flickr.com.  I just started to use it.  Thousands of images and photos for us to use with permission to use.

2. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

I find Flickr a great resource, Wiki media Commons is another one too and theres an option Google if you click the button the right which says advanced on Images, then you can search for images for commercial reuse

3. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 13 years ago

Not much help to you I suppose but evey photo on my hubs is one I have taken myself.

4. profile image0

Ah OK and thanks to you all, I will go check out all that has been posted here, thanks for your reply.  Its well appreciated, all the best Mark.

5. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 13 years ago

Hi - I get most of my photos from morguefile.com. Read the license by the photo. I have found all mine to be free for commercial use.

6. MyWebs profile image78
    MyWebsposted 13 years ago

sxc.hu has a great selection of royalty free images that are free to use.

Just be careful, there's a big difference between "royalty free photos" and photos that are free to use.

A royalty free photo is a photo you buy, then you can use it multiple times without paying a further fee.

If you download a photo with a watermark on it, you've just stolen the sample photo of a picture you're meant to pay for.

What you want are either totally free to use photos, like Morguefile, or Creative Commons licensed photos, which you can use providing you credit the photographer.

I use Flickr for almost everything - use the advanced search, click Creative Commons and For Commercial Use, and you're good to go.  Include a hyperlink to the photographer's photostream somewhere in your Hub (not in the caption - that's not a hyperlink).

1. MyWebs profile image78
        MyWebsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Practically all sxc.hu images are both free to use for commercial purposes and royalty free. Rarely you will run into a picture there where you must ask permission to gain access to a picture. I just go to the next picture then instead of waiting for a response.

A link or attribution isn't even required, but I link anyways just the same out of courtesy and leave the owner a link showing them where I used their image at.
        http://www.sxc.hu/help/7_2 explains the legal uses of sxc.hu images

By the way sxc.hu is owned and operated by istockphoto.com which is the leader in for sale royalty free images.

1. profile image60
          logic,commonsenseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the added insight MW!

2. Hub Llama profile image62
      Hub Llamaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There is your answer. There are actually several websites like this. They are known as "stock photography" websites and they offer photos that can be used under various terms which are generally made clear on the site.

Remember there is a difference between royalty free and free. Royalty free just means that you don't have to KEEP paying to use the photo, that does not mean that there is no one time fee.

7. Sally's Trove profile image78
    Sally's Troveposted 13 years ago

You bring up a good concern, Mark.

So many participants in the Web just steal words and photos to use for their own gain. The people who do this have no long-term credibility, and that's the bottom line.

It's tempting to just capture an image one finds on the Web somewhere and use it in a personal creative work.

Where ever you find an image you want to use, you can also find the terms for using that image. I suggest that you take the time to read the terms of service, or privacy, or contact information on any website where you find an image you want to use. Your doing so is a protection for your not getting sued for copyright infringement.

Some owners of copyrighted material will never pursue you for using their material without their consent, but some will.

Play it safe and use only material you have explicit or implicit permission to use.

Take a look at any of my Hubs (except "Hillary and Me"...there was no way to find an attribution for that photo of her, since it was all over the Web...maybe it was an AP photo, or God knows who else might have taken it...it was impossible to trace the source) to see how owners of images are credited.

Others responding to your question have pointed you to royalty-free sites. sxc.hu is one of my favorites.

8. profile image0

Thank You everybody for your help this has definitely helped me out for sure, going to check out the sites you suggested.  Thanks again to you all.... smile

9. darkside profile image65
    darksideposted 13 years ago
    1. KeithTax profile image74
      KeithTaxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LMAO You made me look, Darkside. But you are so very right.

There is another source not mentioned. My 15 year old daughter is an art prodigy. She does not get it from me, but she really can do wonders. My 10 year old daughter has already programed her cheap little laptop to play a talking cat. How do these kids do it? A few of my hubs have pics my daughter took. Yes, they look professional.

1. earnestshub profile image81
        earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Flamin kids! Always upstaging us. I agree it is best to use your own pics, but photobucket is a source I use along with a few others mentioned here. I don't always have the photo I need from a camera as some of the cars and other pictures on my hubs are of very hard to find items and or difficult to photograph.

2. Pcunix profile image90
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Exactly.

While I do often go looking for photos and drawings that allow reuse, I can sometimes find what I need right on my own computer or - gasp - pick up my camera and snap my own.

3. aguasilver profile image71
      aguasilverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nice one, but cheeky!

10. 2patricias profile image61
    2patriciasposted 13 years ago

Whenever possible we use our own photos.
    If we don't have an appropriate photo, we look on Flickr.  We always contact the photographer and ask permission - even if it is an 'open' photo.  We post our own photos on Flickr and know it means a lot to be asked.

11. gracenotes profile image89
    gracenotesposted 13 years ago

Well, be careful with Google Images.  I learned the hard way that their "Advanced Search" feature doesn't always work the way it should to filter the results.

I haven't always been able to give attribution exactly the way a web site suggests, and when I can't, I figure out some way that works and shows that I made a good-faith effort.

If you find an image that you are taken with, and that is copyrighted, see if you can find an email address for the photographer, and ask for permission to use the photo. I tried this a few times, with some success. However, sometimes it's difficult to locate a contact email, especially on a blog.  You're out of luck at that point.

It seems to have improved lately - but yes,I've found their filters aren't always reliable.

12. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 13 years ago

I love this article by Edweirdo:

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-To-Legally- … -Your-Hubs

How to legally use images from the web in your hubs.smile

13. camlo profile image83
    camloposted 13 years ago

When I put my own photos on the web, which I do, I'm quite aware that many people will consider them public property because I have done so.
    If I felt so strongly about them being 'stolen', I'd be very silly indeed to put them there in the first place.

Marisa, it's good that you make people aware of what they are actually doing, but I do find 'If you feel it's OK to steal the work of another creative artist, then I would be disgusted with you but that's your call' a little strong. We're all adults here, and don't need to be literally admonished.

Camlo, it's quite possible Stevennix doesn't understand the copyright rules and has been using photos innocently, so it's not directed at him. 

However I do feel strongly that anyone who consciously steals photographs in spite of knowing they shouldn't, deserves my disgust and I have every right to say so.

1. camlo profile image83
        camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for clarifying, Marisa.
        I couldn't imagine Stevennix consciously stealing anything, as you seemed to be accusing him of.

14. jackscar profile image59
    jackscarposted 13 years ago

I know it's not always the most convenient, but personally I like to go out and snap photos myself. It's fun and it's by far the safest way to do it!

1. camlo profile image83
      camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I take a lot of photos with my mobile phone, and some turn out to be good on my Hubs.

15. profile image0
    WildIrisposted 13 years ago

I am so glad this question was asked. I was confused about using photos too. Thanks for the links to free images and Edweirdo's Hub--very helpful.

16. DYLAN CLEARFIELD profile image65
    DYLAN CLEARFIELDposted 13 years ago

One of the safest ways to post a photo is by searching sites that have public domain photos on them.  In many of these cases the creator of the photo is either hoping for publicity or is hoping to get feedback about his photo.

17. brettb profile image60
    brettbposted 13 years ago

I use my own photos. It's fun to go out and think of the good money making hubs I could make with the photos I've taken.

18. blackreign2012 profile image58
    blackreign2012posted 13 years ago

I google and free pics pop up.

1. profile image0

well actually, those aren't legal.  even though i too am guilty of using google images to get my pics.  however, marissa just pointed out to me that it is a form of stealing, so it's not a great idea.  sorry.

19. Starfishfelix profile image60
    Starfishfelixposted 13 years ago

I use Clipart.com - its a pay site, but very well index and has a huge variety of clipart, photos, etc.  I also use my own photos if I want a photo of something that's available to me.

20. blackreign2012 profile image58
    blackreign2012posted 13 years ago

I didn't know that.. I thought they were free pics to use. Well I won't be using it again I don't wanna be ripping off someone's work. I wouldnt want anyone to do that to me. I'll be passing this info along for sure.

21. Starfishfelix profile image60
    Starfishfelixposted 13 years ago

If you use a fair amount, its not a bad deal - I think it's about $130 a year (they usually have some kind of a deal) - that's a couple dollars a week, and the images are much larger than the thumbnails (and don't have the watermark for the bigger ones).

If you just use a couple now and then, I'd probably go with one of those 300,000 (or other large number) CD or DVD sets - you can find those pretty inexpensively at Frys, Office Max, etc. Sometimes eBay has some excellent deals too.

The big advantage that an online source has is that you don't need to be constantly changing disks when you search, etc. (and they seem to be constantly adding stuff).

Starfishfelix, what's the first part of your post replying to?  I'm curious what costs $130 a year!  By the way, the watermark is only on the sample photos on these sites.  Once you pay for the photo, you get a watermark-free version even on the smallest size.

1. Starfishfelix profile image60
        Starfishfelixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sorry I didn't reply earlier!   Seeing as this post moved up to the top again though, thought I'd remedy this!

The one we use is clipart.com (it used to be called arttoday.com).  The subscription is around $160, but they generally have specials that make it about $130 a year.  They have photos, clipart (vector type images), fonts and quite a bit more.  You're allowed to use the graphics for most purposes, including advertising, etc.  The main thing you can't do is distribute the images (for example, sell a CD of images you downloaded, set up a web site to distribute the images, and so forth).

As mentioned by others, Flicker Creative Commons is a nice source for images (there are some variations in the licenses).   Wikimedia Commons is also a good site, although the content can be uneven.

Many works of the Federal Government are considered public domain (stamps, coins, etc.) - my last couple hubs have been on old US stamps, so this is nice.  There are exceptions though, usually with copies that could be considered the real thing (for example, making a double sided dollar sized copy of a dollar should be avoided as it may get the Feds rather upset).

22. Hub Llama profile image62
    Hub Llamaposted 13 years ago

By the way, if you have Office installed, click Start -> Programs -> Microsoft Office -> Tools and find Clip Art Manger. Then check it to search online and type in a search term. It has not just the usual clip art type drawings, but photographs too. All free.

I'm pretty sure I've read that Clip Art is for personal use, not for commercial use.  HubPages and monetized blogs are commercial use.

23. alexhd57 profile image73
    alexhd57posted 13 years ago

freestockphotos are available from quite a wide range of sources. Even stock photo agencies in the business of licensing images can be a good source; the microstock agencies in particular all have free images available at any given time updated on a daily or weekly basis.

24. profile image0

Hi everyone and thanks for all the suggestion's its great really helpful, I think I may have found a little gem.  At Photobucket, I have searched and searched and cant find anything that says you cant use these great photos.

(Disclaimer Right Now!! Just incase I'm wrong! As my partner says it wont jump out at you, but I'm a man and well need I say anymore lol)smile   

But they have a direct link to the image and it doesn't have a water mark, you can send it to Twitter, FB, My S.  Gotta be free right!??  its real simple to use and loads up in the capsule like lightning!! Yee Haaa wink

Sorry if this seems a little over the top! But it has taken me nearly a dam! Week! Just to find some images for one Hub, Near to sucide I kid you not. 

Any how thanks to all with all the suggestions, tips and help.  And if im wrong??  Dam! I guess I will have to loose my £3.75 in adsen Coz thats all I got and do some hard time, After the week I had?  Sounds Gooooooodddd!!

No, you won't find anything that says you can't use them.  What you will find is a condition which says you're only allowed to post photos you have a legal right to use.

That condition is hidden in a document that's hard to find, and no one reads. Result - 90% of the people who put photos on Photobucket have stolen them.

So, if you use a photo from Photobucket, it's like buying a stereo from a guy in a pub - you know it's been stolen, so is it still OK to take it?

In my book, it's not.  Two wrongs don't make a right.  It's still a stolen photo, even though you don't know who it's been stolen from.

25. profile image0

Ahhhh Dam!  This is just becoming more and more complicated every day....  Thanks for the heads up Marisa.  wink

26. FloridaGulfVacati profile image58
    FloridaGulfVacatiposted 13 years ago

Here is a site where you can find Royalty free photos, we often use this for our websites. Hope it helps
    http://www.2yi.net/free-stock-photos.html

27. profile image53
    Derek1posted 13 years ago

I prefer Wikipedia Commons:
    http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

Here it will tell you the license of each image you find. I generally just use images that have been released into the public domain. If you are really concerned about doing this, you might want to print the page with the image and license info, and save it for your records.

28. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 13 years ago

Rather than trying to find a specific site, I just Google "Public Domain Pictures" for the specific subject matter in which I'm interested.  This is what I did for my hub 'Coasting,' since I did not have any photos I'd taken of roller coasters.

29. Shadesbreath profile image77
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

I steal all my images from other hubbers.  If any of them are in violation, I blame you guys.

30. Tenerife Islander profile image69
    Tenerife Islanderposted 13 years ago

I find plenty on Wikipedia that if you click on them say they are in the public domain or are covered by a Creative Commons license saying you must credit the photographer. I also use a lot of my own photos, which is probably the best way!

31. Spacey Gracey profile image38
    Spacey Graceyposted 13 years ago

I like photos8.com - its not massive, but I like it.

32. JulieBMack profile image61
    JulieBMackposted 13 years ago

If you want to give credit - where do you do that? Like a link to where you found the photo?  Thanks!

33. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

This could be an excellent day.

I am feeling whimsical (but truthful); therefore I am willing to tell all where there are a million public domain photos out there. Not a joke. Not an exaggeration.

Because of my current whimsical state of being, I propose the following:

A.    IF YOU LIKE MY PROFILE, follow me.
    B.    I will then check your profile.
    C.    IF I LIKE YOU, I will tell you where those public domain images are.

If you feel that I have fulfilled my promise, then stay followed and I will respond in kind; IF I LIKE YOUR PROFILE.

Note: I have not read all the posts in this thread; for all I know, the info has already been posted.

Sorry for the not-so-sporadic caps, it’s that whimsical thing.

Good faith and ethical hubbers need only apply.

My goal is 100, but only those of kindred spirits.

34. paradigmsearch profile image60

I made this post on a low-traffic-day for a reason…

35. paradigmsearch profile image60

bump.

36. paradigmsearch profile image60

And the winner is….

I’ve always limited my image searches to the “.gov” domains. The good news is that there are the proverbial million pics to select from and they are all mostly public domain. Not to mention the fact that we have already paid for them. The bad news is that they certainly don’t always qualify as the best of the best, but they get the job done.

For reference purposes here is a list of other domains that were listed in this thread. I have not personally checked them out though.

Flickr
    Wiki media Commons
    Google search: “images for commercial reuse”.
    Fotosearch
    morguefile.com
    sxc.hu
    photos8.com
    photobucket
    Microsoft Office, both off and online. (disputed)
    Freestockphotos
    (www).2yi.net/free-stock-photos.html
    commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
    Google "Public Domain Pictures"

37. paradigmsearch profile image60

The "excellent day" offer is no longer in play.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)