Hello, New, Not quite sure how it works here yet :)

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (40 posts)
  1. Eileen R profile image67
    Eileen Rposted 13 years ago

Hi everyone, I just joined up and am getting my bearings.

A nice surprise was getting a message as a welcome from another Hubber. The funny thing was I didn't know / don't know how to reply! It was a Fan Page message I guess.

I've made only one HubPage so far, so I don't think I've found my writing voice stride. I'm not sure if I should be more conversational, more hard core journalistic or strictly artistic?

Or can HubPages be anything goes?

At any rate, it's fun poking around!

~ Eileen

1. wytegarillaz profile image60
      wytegarillazposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi , Research is the key > I have learnt a lot by looking  up the hub pages frequent questions asked ! you will find everything you need to know !

Eileen Rposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, I've been away doing just that! smile

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi and welcome!  HubPages can be anything you like, it just depends on your goals.

If you're here to write for the HubPages community, you can write any way you please. Just bear in mind that the social aspects of Hubbing (like reading each other's Hubs, commenting, following etc) are just a way to foster community, and don't help you earn income from the site.

If you're here to earn from your writing, you'll do that by writing to attract visitors who arrive via the search engines.  They're the ones who will click on your ads! 

The highest-earning Hubbers write product-focussed Hubs (the best example is Nelle Hoxie).   You can also choose to write about subjects that interest you, but give some thought to what angle you'll take - consider what people are likely to be looking for.  Hubbers like Relache (who pays her rent with her Hub income) and Maddie Ruud are good examples of that style.

Hard core journalistic pieces don't have much success on Hubpages, mainly because they're likely to be about highly topical subjects.  Hubs tend to earn better and better as they get older - and if you choose a subject that dates quickly, you won't get that benefit.

Final tip - you can have as many links as you like in your profile, so why not list your websites?  In time, your profile will gain some decent PR and the backlinks will be worth having.

Wow what a nice, detailed reply!

I like the product focused tip, you've got me thinking... I write reviews for some of my sites so I can do that here as well with perhaps a broader focus than my niche sites allow.

I've observed myself that long lived topics do seem to pay off too.

I'll add my links to my profile as well.

3. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Welcome to HubPages! smile

Thank You!

1. masaa profile image61
          masaaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

write anything you ever wanted to say. this is a good place to speak you mind.

4. lorlie6 profile image72
      lorlie6posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Eileen-welcome to HubPages!  Don't worry about your writing voice, it comes with time.  And more writing! smile

Thanks smile Yes, more writing is in my future I see, hehe

2. darkside profile image64
    darksideposted 13 years ago

Welcome, and stop by the Learning Center so you can come up to speed and know how the HubPages works.

Hmm  a Dark Lord of the Sith is welcoming me. I better do as he says wink

1. Joy56 profile image67
        Joy56posted 13 years agoin reply to this

he is the boss

3. Randy Godwin profile image61
    Randy Godwinposted 13 years ago

Just plain welcome!  You'll get the hang of it!  (watch out for snakes)

Snakes!

4. cupid51 profile image68
    cupid51posted 13 years ago

Eileen, A very warm welcome to HubPages! We all are here like a family, so don't hesitate to share anything you like!

I can see that, quite a response!

5. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

Hi!  and Welcome. big_smile

Hi and thank you!

6. Freya Cesare profile image77
    Freya Cesareposted 13 years ago

Welcome to HubPages. smile

Thank you Freya smile

7. profile image0
    sunrise2012posted 13 years ago

Im brand new to Hub Pages as well, some really interesting advice in this thread, Cheers smile

Yay, we're the incoming class of July 2010!

Agreed, good advice here.

8. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

yes we are like a family, i am the grandma, so i will watch over you.... welcome.

Aww thank you smile

9. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

Welcome to HubPages, Eileen and Sunrise!

You've gotten some great advice here already. As Darkside said, start by reading up a little bit in the Learning Center. Once you've read the basics, don't be afraid to ask questions. There's always the "Need Help, Ask Here" forum for general questions, or the "Extreme Makeover" forum where you can put your hubs out there for other hubbers to review and lend advice.

Whether you're here to make money or just to write and meet some awesome people, you're bound to have some fun.

Thank you! I think I'll try to do both (make money and write and meet awesome people).

10. timorous profile image81
    timorousposted 13 years ago

Welcome Eileen;

You're sure to find your fellow Hubbers very supportive.  We've all been there before, after all.  We're a compassionate bunch too, so if you're having any trouble, just pick one of these forums...we're here for ya.  At the same time, many of us don't take things too seriously either, so have fun too.

If you read a good sampling of the articles here, you'll find everything from heartfelt to hilarious, and anything in between.  So just write what you know, or anything you're passionate about.  You'll soon be getting comments on your hub articles...and followers.  Go for it smile

I think one of the things I need to get used to is the formatting of the forums and how to find articles. I noticed that HubPages seems to be pushing Hubs according to my interests but I always like to just browse around as well.

11. thirdmillenium profile image59
    thirdmilleniumposted 13 years ago

come on Eileen , you are one of us now. Enjoy yourself here

1. timorous profile image81
      timorousposted 13 years agoin reply to this
      1. thirdmillenium profile image59
        thirdmilleniumposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh I could never distinguish between Starland Vocal band's afternoon delight and dexy's midnight Runners come on Eileen  I don't know why.

Perhaps they are both so out-of-ordinary

Are afternoon and midnight same in your part of the world?

LOL!  And how can you forget Save Ferri's cover of Come On Eileen?
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCzWPBR30Nk

I'm partial to Dexy's version myself.

Hey... If I have to have a song, that one ain't so bad.

12. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

Hi Eileen, Welcome to HP!

Hi and thank you!

13. profile image0
    pinkyleeposted 13 years ago

Welcome to HubPages! smile

14. Derek D profile image60
    Derek Dposted 13 years ago

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:gsxgLYcLdBMQ-M:http://idealdesignevents.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/welcome_sign_1.jpg
    Hubpages is a great community..........Hope you enjoy it cool

15. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

Welcome!

16. profile image0
    T_Diamondposted 13 years ago

Awesome! Another hubber joining in. We'll see you around!

17. Kyriana profile image67
    Kyrianaposted 13 years ago

Welcome,

I've been here about a month and have learned so much from the community of writers here. Everyone is very friendly and willing to help. There are some great hubs about monetizing and gaining followers. I'm sure you'll like it here.

See you around the forum,
    Kyriana

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)