Graphics/Design Software Question

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (25 posts)
  1. jenblacksheep profile image67
    jenblacksheepposted 13 years ago

Does anyone know of any good (or free) software for designing stuff. I use photoshop for editing photos I already have, but to create something from scratch its not very easy. I'm designing a cover for my mum's book and I need to create like a symbol or design of some kind and I need to be able to work out dimensions and that sort of thing. Basically like a more advanced version of Paint.

Any ideas?

1. fossmaniac profile image69
      fossmaniacposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You can use inkscape for drawing svg graphics : logos,banners and other designs.
      Site:http://www.inkscape.org/
      Tutorials:http://inkscapetutorials.wordpress.com/
      Gimp is a great replacement to photoshop.It's free and opensource.Plus there are a lot of tutorials for it.
      Site:http://www.gimp.org/
      Manuals:http://www.gimp.org/docs/

2. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 13 years ago

You might want to give GIMP a try.  It's freeware.

jenblacksheepposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My friend uses GIMP, he said it was basically like Photoshop, but ye, might give it a try. Thanx

1. climberjames profile image58
        climberjamesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

GIMP is good smile

1. waynet profile image70
          waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No gimp mask is involved....! big_smile

Thanx, coz I was worried!

2. isyan profile image67
      isyanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yah.. GIMP is a good software and most of all.. its free

3. Richieb799 profile image75
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

You could design the logo in Adobe Illustrator and the compose the layout of the Cover in Quark Xpress?

I've never heard of either of those but I'll have a look into it, thanx!!

4. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

If you already have photoshop, using GIMP will do nothing for you, its more likely to be even less intuitive for you.

My suggestion is learn how to use photoshop - its can be as basic as paint - there is little need for learning yet another software program.

1. kirstenblog profile image78
      kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is my thinking too.
      I have both gimp and photo shop and find gimp confusing in comparison to photo shop, tho I do use it for fractal mapping, that can turn out some weird and wonderful images big_smile

I do build images from scratch in photo shop often, I find it loads of fun actually smile

Just in case you are curious what I mean big_smile
        http://rlv.zcache.com/fractal_flower_print-p228648580136691760vsu7_325.jpg

2. sunforged profile image70
        sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There is  a plug in set that will make GIMP seem more like Photoshop for users used to that workspace.

I use it on my netbook as PS would crawl!! on it.

Its called GIMPshop - http://www.gimpshop.com/

I might have to look into that smile
          I do have PS on my laptop but we have had to jump through many a flaming hoop to get it working and I am still having problems with the memory getting full up on like one image I am working on so that saving is a total nightmare. I think the problem was down to PS not being compatible with the OS for the laptop and if we couldn't have found a way it would have had to go back. It is for my MIL and I will get hers when we trade and she needs it for simple image manipulation, if it persists in being a problem I may well refer back to your post to see if that plug in works well enough to give her gimp to do the work she needs so we don't have a problem swapping laptops yikes Ok that was long winded! lol

Totally off topic, hows the newborn? smile

5. sunforged profile image70

I learned Photoshop by building designs from scratch and playing with filters during a very relaxed photo class in 1998 or so.

I imagine there can be a bit of an overload with all the options and tools now available ..but the same basic tools still exist.

Canvas, palette, pencil / brush tool - You really dont need anything else to start a design.

6. sunforged profile image70

Just handed her off to momma - shes growing good, her looks change daily which is fun to watch and guess about and she is finally developing a set of lungs!

So my workday starts at 4am today yeah!

lol How cute! Just wait till she learns fun words like, 'no' and 'don't wanna' wink

7. jenblacksheep profile image67
    jenblacksheepposted 13 years ago

Hey guys, thanx for all the advice. Just a quick thought ... I have Photoshop Elements rather than Photoshop regular (I'm fairly sure they are different things :s) are they basically the same though?

1. sunforged profile image70
      sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

no not really all that similar - elements is like a premium version of Picassa or any of the photo editing software that comes with most printers.

Its been a while since I fired it up - it may be missing some of the tools that would make it best for true freestyle design.

But as long as you have  a pen/brush tool and palette options it should do the job

8. Nick B profile image77
    Nick Bposted 13 years ago

I think it all depends upon whether you want vector graphics or want to 'paint' the picture.

I would say either Corel Draw & PhotoPaint or Photoshop and Illustrator are the best packages out there.

9. waynet profile image70
    waynetposted 13 years ago

I do use Gimp a lot, I'm a fan of the blending/smudge tool on my drawings as I can colour them and then just smudge them for a quick Zazzle design.

I do have Photoshop on my Mac too and that's great, I'm going through a training course to use the basics of this which I'm enjoying.

10. profile image53
    shivangi1posted 13 years ago

If you are looking for graphic design tools to help you quickly and easily create, customize and trademark your own logo, symbols,creative graphics and brand identity.take a look at: http://www.summitsoftcorp.com/logo-design-software.html

11. GarunaLiu profile image59
    GarunaLiuposted 13 years ago

Photoscape

12. Cheeky Girl profile image66
    Cheeky Girlposted 13 years ago

Ever heard of GimpSHOP? it's a photoshopped version of GIMP for Photoshop lovers and afficionadoes out there. I use it and Gimp and it rocks.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)