Sales Hub - Am I doing it right?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (19 posts)
  1. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

Just want to get some feedback. Doing a thirty day challenge of sales hubs and this is my general outline for most of them. Feel free to throw criticism at me (however 90% of information in them is merely "sales babble" since I know google prefers a reasonable word count.) Anyway feedback welcome and appreciated. Better now that at the end of my challenge. Thanks!

http://hubpages.com/hub/Buying-Toasted- … es-jaffles

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 13 years ago

I'm not an expert at sales Hubs but I think it looks good!

3. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

I like that you suggest sandwich ingredients or recipes. I agree that a product hub can feel very 'sales babble' as you put it. The one thing I noticed is that if I were in the market to buy one, your first paragraph or so is interesting but I had to scroll down to find the first amazon ads, if one paragraph is enough to get me to say, bookmark your hub for those recipes and go straight over to buy one cause a toasted sandwich sounds good right about now, I don't see a link straight away. I am a lazy reader and shopper (right?) and scrolling down to find a good ad to click on might be more bother then my attention span can handle (again, being a typical lazy shopper with the attention span of a fruit fly). Just my two cents smile

4. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

Thanks for the replies. So should I just completely forget about getting any adsense clicks at all and make it straight to amazon? I'm just so used to a big first paragraph for my adsense...

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It depends what kind of Adsense ads are coming up.

If they're relevant to jaffle makers, then keep the big ad block - it's an extra income source.  If they're not, put an Amazon ad there instead.

As for jaffle vs sandwich - remember HubPages is an international site.  There's nothing wrong with targetting the Australian market if you want to!

1. lrohner profile image68
        lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely correct, Marisa. I guess I wasn't thinking about that since Australia makes up a small portion of my visitors. But then, I don't use Aussie terms in my hubs, so that's not too surprising. smile

*scurrying off to brush up on Aussie lingo*

5. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

I think you've done a really good job for your first "sales" hub, but I do have a couple of comments.

I'm a little kerflumped as to why you use the term "jaffle" maker. I had to Google it to see what is was, as it's not an American term at all. Depending on where your traffic is coming from, you may have just done yourself a disservice by using such a non-American word. Oh, and according to Google, no one is searching for jaffle makers. smile

I'm not too crazy about the big bold "Scroll down to the bottom for..." There are a couple of ways around this. You can actually just link to that capsule and insert a "Click here for some recipe ideas". Of course, I haven't done it in a while, but I'm pretty sure Darkside wrote a hub about it. Marisa? Relache? Do you remember?

The other thing you can do is to write a second hub with the recipes, add Amazon capsules on there as well, and link the two back and forth to each other.

My sales hubs have a good Amazon conversion rate, but not so much for AdSense. I haven't eliminated the AdSense altogether on them, but was going to test that out very soon.

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I added the recipe ideas just for a bit extra word count and an encouragement to read to the end of the page. Thanks for the in hub link idea, darkside wrote about it so I'll add one of those instead: http://hubpages.com/hub/tableofcontents

jaffle sandwich 4,400   
      jaffle maker    3,600
      jaffle sandwich maker 2,400   

From what I've read/been told on HP it's a good idea to rank for keywords that have between 2500-500 hits/month like these ones do. It's actually a fairly common expression in Australia, although I will admit the Americanised term "toasted sandwich" is slowly driving it out.

Thanks for the tips!

1. lrohner profile image68
        lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Um, I've never heard the word "toasted sandwich" used either. smile

Maybe it's just an East Coast thing, but we call them either pressed sandwiches, grilled cheese and (whatever) or paninis. Unless, of course, it's a Cuban sandwich in which case it is pressed and it is hot, but it's just called a Cuban sandwich. smile

1. IzzyM profile image87
          IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Umm...they are also called toasted sandwiches in Europe, or sometimes just toasties.
          I'm no expert on sales hubs although I have made a few sales, but I did a google search earlier and the important things seems to be to express how good the product will be for the reader, who is just called 'you', the emphasis put on the good points that will help the reader.
          I find this difficult - to wax lyrical about a product I have never tried.
          I'm looking for a camera at the moment, but my 'insider knowledge'tells me that every page that wants to sell you a particular brand is going to tell you its the best. Years ago, I subscribed to a famous-brand consumer magazine that promised to tell you 'which' product was the best on the market.
          They have a (paid) online site. All lies - they promote the product they are paid to promote.
          PS does anyone know what is the best camera in the $200-300 range for taking close-ups, even in low light?

1. sunforged profile image71
            sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I dont have a direct answer for your question, but I do find that the best sources for unbiased info seems to be forums that are dedicated to enthusiasts in that topic.

A long read at the negative and positive reviews at amazon doesnt hurt either.

Your searching for a Digital camera that has advanced macro functions even in low light....

Why?..would a camera with good macro functions and some sort of cheap portable lighting also solve the problem?

heres some stuff to consider and perhaps help you whittle down your search terms:

http://digital-photography-school.com/m … mera-users

You may want to consider asking the Hubber "aperturering" as he is tech savvy and has  great portfolio of macro shots

http://hubpages.com/profile/aperturering

1. IzzyM profile image87

Thanks for those links, sunforged smileI used to have an SLR camera - pentax - it cost an arm and a leg but I got the most fantastic shots with it.Then some B stole it when he broke into my house. I've had cameras since, but the latest digi cameras are  disappointment in comparison.
              In good light, fine, but close ups are blurred and poor light pics are blurred.
              I just want a camera that does nice close-ups - a dew-drop on a leaf kinda quality...but only for online. I don't do paper prints, the ink costs too much.
              I found one earlier that might fit the bill - Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ38EB-K ?

If you know your price range and your purpose, a camera is the type of thing that it really doesnt matter what people say..its more about what it produces.

Many reviews for cameras include "sample images" - so, if you were so inclined you could review the sample images until you found a camera that created the image quality you desired.

I know Flickr includes camera information in the details of the images, I wonder if there is also a search function or tag that will allow you to easily peruse batches of example photographs

Thats how I would do it, if I wasnt in a rush.

1. IzzyM profile image87

Cheers mate. I'm not in a rush. I saw a video a few days ago on youtube where the cameraman named the camera he took the video with, but I've forgotten which one it was. (the result was fanstastic)
                  I'll do a search tomorrow.

Sorry, Wrylilt, for hijacking your thread a bit.

well heres how one can peruse photos by camera on Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/cameras/

6. wilderness profile image93
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

I liked it, too, except for the "jaffle" - never heard of it.  I also liked the toastie tip thingie - never seen that done before and I liked it.  Good, appropriate choice of ads.

7. Sufidreamer profile image79
    Sufidreamerposted 13 years ago

I am just about to go to bed, but Darkside has a way of getting around the 'scroll to the bottom' line - you can actually make it into a link that will take the reader there directly. If you don't manage to find it yourself, I will try to dig it out tomorrow. I think that it is something to do with making a table of contents.

If you threw in another Amazon capsule at the bottom, to make sure that they don't bypass all of your hard work, it could be a winner.

Very nicely laid out Hub, BTW - very easy on the eye! smile

8. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

To the OP:

Im personally turned off a a little by any sales hubs or articles that are squished into two columns - I prefer a little space - allow some of your text capsules to be more easily read by allowing them to expand across all available space and break up the space a bit - to make it a bit more visually appealing.

For selling food related stuff or just about anything - your often (referencing stuff I read, not my own observations) selling an end result not the actual product.

So the attractive photo that you include at the end should have more of showcase.

You want "this" these are how you can have "this".

Ive never heard of a jaffle either, but I have a jaffle maker!

My favorite use includes some fresh mozzarella, a nice crusty bread, some olive oil and fresh basil.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/149/400455211_49f24a7a5c.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/avlxyz/400455211/

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2625/3880667821_73eb1e9c35.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelphams/3880667821/

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)