Over halfway towards my first $100

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Bard of Ely profile image80
    Bard of Elyposted 15 years ago

I just checked my Google earnings and see that I have made $51 for all this time here so I am just over halfway to my first $100!

Amazon, eBay and Kontera I have made practically nothing on. It is certainly not easy!

So what are the secrets to getting the money coming in for hubs? Do I really need to start writing about sexy stuff, sport, mainstream celebs etc?

Is there really no way of making money from my writings about stuff I am interested in? If there is I am still searching for it!

Nevertheless, that $51 is encouraging in a small way!

1. Dorsi profile image88
      Dorsiposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Bard, I am about to get my first check from Google. It took me 10 months. I think I progressed a little faster when I started writing about politics, the elections, the financial mess ( which are things that truly intrigue me) Not to sell yourself out but maybe try writing some type of review on a product that you know about, or a subject that is "hot"- give your ideas or opinions.
      Just some thoughts on how to rev up that money machine.....
      And congrats on the $51. I know it can be slow in coming but at least it's coming!

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations, Bard!   

I had a look at one or two Hubs.  I don't know if they're representative, but I'd say you have too MUCH advertising on them.  Looking at your Tenerife Hub, for instance, you have a long line of eBay and Amazon ads down the right hand side, which means all your nice photos are hidden at the bottom. 

I used to use eBay and Amazon capsules because I thought they looked pretty, even though I made very few sales.  Then it dawned on me that I was giving people a way of leaving my Hub without giving me revenue.  I want them to exit the Hub by clicking on an Adsense ad, not something else!

So I cut out virtually all my links to other websites (unless they were truly relevant and it would have hurt the Hub to lose them) and all my Amazon and eBay capsules (unless they were for very high value goods).  That improved my income.

2. compu-smart profile image90
    compu-smartposted 15 years ago

Hi Bard:)
    Long time no chat!smile

I would congratulate you, but you dont sound too happy!!

I have been optimising and updating all my old hubs which is just as productive as writing new hubs..

Also this hub may will help make the best of what hubs you already have and future hubs..

Top Hubs Recommended by Hubpages To Help Build & promote Hubs, Get More Traffic & Increase Earnings!

Happy Holidays and a healthy, happy and a most deffinetly a prosperous new year:)

3. Mathi P profile image59
    Mathi Pposted 15 years ago

MERRY X MAS AND NEW YEAR GREETINGS TO YOU & YOUR FAMILY by  Glitter Pics

I am earned 245 $ from adsense

1. Bard of Ely profile image80
      Bard of Elyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

That is brilliant! Congratulations!

1. Lgali profile image58
        Lgaliposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations! Congratulations! I have only 2.45

1. Mathi P profile image59
          Mathi Pposted 15 years agoin reply to this

write article in your own blogger blog . its given just more effect of your earning.

Best of Luck

4. Bard of Ely profile image80

Thank you, Compu-smart! Season's Greetings returned!

The "Prosperous New Year" is the bit I want most because a good part of my health and happiness comes down to money as I am currently experiencing with my dental problems!

There's a rap song on OurStage by an act called C.A.M.IL called All You Want For Xmas with the line repeated "I want money" and it's been getting my votes! lol

1. compu-smart profile image90
      compu-smartposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hry Bard, i hear what you say, many people think and assume that health comes first, but as you mention, sometimes finances is needed to help  make health better..

smile

5. Mathi P profile image59
    Mathi Pposted 15 years ago

When am i got cheque ,just happy  happy .  Now i am happy happy happy

6. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 15 years ago

Good luck Bard. My payment came about 60% from HubPages and 40% from HowToDoThings.

7. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 15 years ago

I have found that certain articles I wrote have a higher readership so..pay attention to your stats and see which ones are popular and focus on that subject area and add products pertaining or near that to the topic. good luck...I just figured out how to post my amazon ads, lol ... merry xmas n safe happy new year to all!

8. Research Analyst profile image73
    Research Analystposted 15 years ago

Bard, you are doing really good, keep up the good work,...... it does take time to build up adsense money.
    Marisa's advice is worth trying out, and Mathi's advice about blogger is always a  plus too!. Best wishes to you.

9. JIN1128 profile image90
    JIN1128posted 15 years ago

How long have you guys been here?

10. Bard of Ely profile image80

Many thanks everyone, for all your responses here!
    Marisa, I will try your idea so thank you in particular for that. Nobody is buying the eBay and Amazon stuff anyway even though in many cases I would have thought it went well with my articles.

1. profile image0
      terrygposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Might I suggest you write a few affiliate type hubs. I have recently entered this arena with my hubs and made my first affiliate commission in the second day of the hub being published.

Promoting the right sort of affiliate, I do not mean get rich quick schemes or surveys, but real must have products, you will make quite some money.

One of my psychic related sites has an affiliate for psychic readings. It pays under ten dollars in affiliate commissions per sale. It is a big seller and averages quite a few sales per day, even to this day and the site is over two years old.

My point is, use Adsense as an aside and concentrate on other ideas that convert well.

11. Bard of Ely profile image80

Thanks for your tips, Terryg, and thanks for your post too, Compu-smart!
    Actually it has been interesting to hear from others with dental problems who have had the same struggle with the money side of it. It reminds me of something CJ Stone said to me years back about how it is all well and good that alternative therapies may work but the problem then is that only the people with the money can afford them! This is true! Health is for those who have the money and poverty goes against health.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)