What do you think was the "real" original sin?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (21 posts)
  1. vrbmft profile image74
    vrbmftposted 13 years ago

I sometimes think that the "real" sin in "original" sin, was not the disobedience, but the running away and hiding and being fearful of remaining naked, vulnerable and humble.  Come on, give it some thought.  I don't think it had anything to do with knowledge of good and evil.  God doesn't seem too hesitant to share his knowledge in other situations, so why here?  I think God created this really cool fruit tree, and he wanted to walk the garden whenever he wanted and grab a piece.  Like me, the other day.  I bought a box of really scrumptious New York Cheesecake from Trader Joe's, and my twenty six year old stepson and his friends ate the entire box at 2 a. m., and then left the empty box in the "frig" figuring I wouldn't put two and two together and think maybe a burglar broke into the house and took nothing but my favorite cheesecake.

Well, so if Adam and Eve could have just sat there and said, "Hey, big GuyGal, what can we tell ya?  We ate the fruit.  Did we do something wrong?  Of course, we heard your request, but didn't think it was that big of a deal.  You're not upset with us, are you?"  Now, that would have saved us all a lot of grief, and we'd still be walking around naked!  What do you think?  Come on, don't get so weird on me.  Go with it.

1. kess profile image61
      kessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

original sin is still present and that is seing in double good / evil.
      Adam did not sin though he too saw in double, he was doing God's will, by subjecting himself and all His descendent to death that they may attain perfection.

Without seeing the nature of death they cannot know life in its fullness.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 13 years ago

So what did your son and his friends say . . . and did you forgive them?

vrbmftposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"Hey, that's really good cheesecake!!"
        I said, "Yea, it sure is!!"

My relationship with stepson is "tricky" for lots of obvious reasons.  Cheesecake costs all of $7.00.  Heck of  deal even when you don't get any!!  So I bought another box and told him in private that the cheesecake was not for general consumption by the neighborhood.  Tried to say it with a wink and  smile!  BUT, I'm not sure if I have forgiven him, and I really like your question about it.  Perhaps the most profound question and or comment on here so far!

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
        Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Gee thanks . . . I'm rarely profound. (On the other hand "what would Jesus DO?". as they say).

I'm sure it is a bit 'tricky". I think you handled it well.
        You didn't say if they were naked.

No, they were not naked, but I wonder if they are when I'm not there!  A lot of activity goes on there when I'm not around and even when I am around!

Well, I like how you keyed in on such an important question rather than getting lost in some of the ? whatever that other stuff is.  Not sure it is theology.

Another friend suggested I buy two boxes of cheesecake next time and just tell him that one is for him and his friends and KEEP OUT OF MY BOX!!  I got very defensive with my friend for some strange reason and gave all these reasons why that wouldn't work!!  I started laughing about it today.  A great idea.  I'm just cheap!!  Thank God God is not cheap!

2. wildorangeflower profile image61
        wildorangeflowerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

what do men do when they are alone and bored?

1. profile image0
          DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

certainly not wash the dishes.....

Eat fruit offerred to them by women!

3. SaMcNutt profile image60
    SaMcNuttposted 13 years ago

For me, and textually, it seems that the moment of sin was in Eve's heart. She took the apple, but after commiting the sin of wanting to be equal with God (being wise). The eating of the apple was more contratual in that her thoughts became actions. When that happened and Adam ate the apple with her, they together brought condemnation on their decendents. Hiding from God was a recognition of their wrong and proof of their shame.

At least this is the way I view it.

4. cherilsword profile image60
    cherilswordposted 13 years ago

Before a sin of this magnitude can be determined, understanding what sin is must first be addressed. The question must be asked, what could children of God possibly do that was so bad that God would turn His back on them. If we look at this, then we must look at how we would react to our own children if they did something we did not like. Obviously, if it takes a lot for us to turn our back on our children. This being the case, how much more would it take for God, who is defined as being Perfect Love, to do something like this. The answer is obvious, He did not see His Creation as sinful. It was them that perceived their act as sinful. Their guilt was so defined, they had to leave the condition of the Garden and go where their guilt could be measured.
    God's Creation act, they do not react. Before the mistake or sin, Adam and Eve did not know what reacting was. When they were tempted to react instead of act, a feeling arose in them which was so unfamiliar they moved into a condition they found comfortable, which was outside of the Garden. This uncomfortable feeling is defined as fear.
    In the story in Genesis the couple learned to blame someone else for their reaction to temptation. The temptation was a lie. The reaction to the lie was the sin, which was fear of punishment, and not punishment itself. Instead of accepting responsibility, God became the scapegoat. He continues to be viewed as the reason for the the couple being forced out of the Garden. It is the reaction to temptation that is the original sin. We either act with Love, or react to temptation. Between these two, in reality, there is nothing else.

5. Jim Hunter profile image60
    Jim Hunterposted 13 years ago

Posting in casual encounters on craigslist?

6. wildorangeflower profile image61
    wildorangeflowerposted 13 years ago

what was God doing before the creation??

Thinkking about a recipe for cheesecake and instead God came up with the recipe for Angel Food and Devils Food cake!  Sorry!  I don't know if there is a before and after in that dimension.  BUT I love the question and all the images that pop up in my silly brain

7. profile image0
    Over The Hillposted 13 years ago

Actually, the first sin was Lucifer being lifted up with pride.Thinking he could be like God.

8. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years ago

roll

9. Paradise7 profile image69
    Paradise7posted 13 years ago

I've wondered about that bit.  Seemed like an extreme punishment for eating an apple, which doesn't figure largely in today's calendar of crime.

Disobedience might have been the real issue, but then, why would we have been given free will, if not to get sassy and use it now and then?  Ditto intelligence (the knowledge of good and evil?)

Maybe the very first sin was choosing evil over good.  Maybe that's really the only sin.  And we have those choices so often in our lives:  practically every day.

1. profile image0
      DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

we were given free will because if a person "chooses" to worship you, its feels better then mindless robots doing your bidding. More power, I think.

2. vrbmft profile image74

That's a simple and clear way to look at it.

10. profile image0
    Over The Hillposted 13 years ago

What always happens to these forums? Start out with a good question and get sidelined to fruitcake recipes.Sheeeeesh.

11. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 13 years ago

"real" original sin: Choice [Necessity].

Free Will and Choice are not the same.
    Choice only has power within necessity.
    Free will is power without necessity.

Choice is sin, Free Will is Grace.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)