Bad spelling

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (41 posts)
  1. Ben Evans profile image66
    Ben Evansposted 13 years ago

I am a bad speller.
    I have an engineer's view
    Oh my deer reader
    What can I dew?

With the depth of my souls
    on the bottom of my fete,
    I dance at this carnival
    and enjoy people I meat.

Oh yes I fell bad
    with words I misspell.
    I know some think I will fall
    and end up in hell.

When I right the first draft
    there are red lines all over my paige.
    If it weren't all just for namesake
    my words would be all the rage.

So I will try to do better
    Oh yes i certainly will
    I know that my sin tax may cost me money
    Its my vice or bitter peel.

I am now editing
    and reading real well
    my prose is looking good
    People will read the story I tell.

But for those who thumb there nose
    This misspelling is for yew.
    I don't care if it is Christmas
    or thanksgiving two.

1. Chaotic Chica profile image61
      Chaotic Chicaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Despite the severe cringing this brought on, I was still able to find the humor! LOL

Ben Evansposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you,

I am not normally this bad, but I sometimes have a few errors that slip through.  When I go back to read what was written, I cringe.

I was on a poetry site and actually used the word "soul" for the bottom of my feet.  I felt pretty embarrassed.  I am just making fun of myself and the spelling can be corrected.  I need to read and reread what I write and would encourage people to do their best and edit often.

1. profile image0
          DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Im so bad with typos. I dont have spell check or any idea how to get it...sooooo...it takes tons of rereading, and since I knew what I meant, I read it like thats how it is and I miss lots. When I do see my mistakes I feel stupid. I relly hate seeing people go on about "oh...you spelled that wrong" or "pshaw...incorrect gammar. This sample of work is unacceptable." Your poem was grate.  wink

2. Bikash jha profile image60
      Bikash jhaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Keep a spell checker
      NAh you dont need it you can do so much with your bad spelling. you have great future, just go on.

Thank you,

I believe that it is good for us to write and express ourselves.

1. Bikash jha profile image60
          Bikash jhaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yes you are right, write it didnt matter how many spelling error or grammer mistakes you do , what for me matter is the content of your articles and the courage to face your mistakes. you really have written a great poem and i am pretty impressed by you so much that i am going to follow you here. you should never stop expressing yourself despite everything you face.

3. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Very cute.

As someone with a lot of "engineer-types" (and the like) in my life; and someone with one-out-of-three kids who isn't exactly a natural speller (by any means), you have my understanding.

....  Then again, there's always spell-checker, so my understanding only goes so far.  lol  (Spell checker has made a huge difference for my seriously spelling-challenged son.)

I understand Lisa and I promise that I will try very hard not to misspell.  Thank goodness for spell check.

1. Lisa HW profile image62
          Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have an engineer friend who may be laid off soon, and I keep telling him he should get a website or write about technology or finance and maybe pick up a few extra dollars.  He keeps telling me he'd rather die than write anything.   lol  (So I give you credit.  smile  )

It is a tough economy out there.  I hope he doesn't lose his job. 

It is good to write.  I used to write a lot of stories when I was young.  We were asked to write something we did over a vacation.  Most people wrote one paragraph and I wrote a 10 page story.  My 8th grade teacher demeaned me in class and said I was retarded and gave me a bank of tests.

It ended up that I had a IQ well in excess of hers.  I didn't write anything creative for decades.  I thought I was a poor writer through high school and I didn't care that much afterwords.  The writing bug was still in me so eventually I started to write again.

I know a lot of other engineers also that don't like to write.  Keep encouraging him because I think everyone has something to share.

I hope all goes well for your friend on the job front.

2. profile image0
    DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years ago

haha. I hope you make it into a hub.

1. Chaotic Chica profile image61

That would be great!  It'd be hard to read without cringing but it just might be worth it! LOL

1. profile image0

awwwww...Its so funny!! He wrote it on porpoise, for a pacific reason, im sure.  lol

1. profile image0

oops. I'm. heh....

2. Paradise7 profile image69
          Paradise7posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ha!  now that made me laugh.  big_smilebig_smilebig_smile

1. profile image0

big_smile

2. Rochelle Frank profile image90
            Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh and thanks, Paradise, for becoming my 800th follower. Whee!

Rochelle make me 801.

It sounds like you had a good teacher.  I had a bad one in 8th grade.  I went to the dark side (Math and science).  I am glad that I learned to enjoy writing again.

Anyone who spells as bad as me deserves to be my fan.  big_smile

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
                Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Ben-- He was the best.

3. Ben Evans profile image66

That is funny.  This is great.

2. Ben Evans profile image66

I appreciate it.  I will do that.  big_smile

3. profile image0
    ralwusposted 13 years ago

arg yew bisexic?

1. profile image0

omestimes....

Ralwas,

You are incourage ible.  smile)

4. Paradise7 profile image69
    Paradise7posted 13 years ago

I laughed anyway, but with that sinking feeling you get when you see a lot of misspelled or misapplied words...

1. profile image0

Im super serious right now. Ya' know how some people like spinach and some dont? well...I dont understand this..what about a misspelled word causes people pain? It's just one of those things I don't get, I guess.

1. Paradise7 profile image69

If you read books a lot, you get used to the very clean and tidy presentation of publishers.  Anything else just makes you wince inside.  It's like listening to recorded music, which is very cleanly edited, then going to hear a less professional group, live.  You hear the mistakes too much, sometimes, to enjoy the performance.

1. profile image0

must be me then. no wincing. well...I do cringe when seeing my own mistakes, but I find no problem overlooking them on others work. I know that they don't have an editor. Im going to bet it has something to do with type a and b personalities and stuff like that. or maybe Im just not very observant? hmmmmm

The other answer is, "Everyone's a critic!"  Except, of course, for the good and gentle souls who AREN'T!  Don't worry, that's probably a good thing and you are a lot more popular on that account!

1. profile image0

I dunno. everyone IS a critic, I think. Just in different ways. Im very picky when I go out ot eat at a resturant.

2. Chaotic Chica profile image61

That's pretty much the sum of it.....I liken it to a mental scratching of nails on a chalk board...it's hard to enjoy a good read when there are an unacceptable amount of errors.

1. profile image0

You know, I think if it was a published book, I would feel the same way. I was dying laughing at a menu the other day..it had a meal that was "creen beans and chicken." But stuff on line I tend to skip right over the mistakes, I dont expect it to be polished and I enjoy the sentiment. And sometimes, people meant the wrong words they choose. "mental scratching of nails" thats very good description and I think I will just be happy it doesn't happen to me. yet...

btw, I read, and have read, ALOT of books. Im a lousy typist.  wink

I'm not a great typist, either, but I use spellcheck a LOT, and also look over whatever I've typed pretty carefully before I post it, otherwise I'd really be embarassed...

5. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

Funny!  Im the same weigh - typos and speling mistykes everywhere on a paige liberallly sprinklered with read ink.

Takes longer to fix than it does to write sometimes!

1. profile image0

I almost drownded in my coffee from laughing write there

1. wilderness profile image94
        wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Don't do that, doormat - drownded people look really funny and make the coffee taste really, really bad!

It takes me forever to edit also.  On forums when I can't correct what I had written I look back and cringe.

Like DoorMattnomore and Bikash jha, I read and just enjoy what is written.

6. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 13 years ago

I am a natural-born-again bad speller. (I also am a bad typist.)Over the years I have improved and am pretty aware of it. More times than I want to, I end up using a spellable synonym when I am unsure.

I have learned to use spell check and depend heavily upon it.
    But one of my most gratifying moments came in high school when my English teacher wrote in big red marker at the top of my page: "Girl you can write!--Now, if you could only spell!"

I loved that, because it showed he  knew what was more important. Just a few days ago I found out that he,Dixon Gayer  (who was also my journalism/newspaper adviser in college), passed away at the age of 92. Saw his obit in the LA TIMES online. I had made email contact with him a couple of years ago when he was only 90, and thanked him for all his help.

7. Tusitala Tom profile image66
    Tusitala Tomposted 13 years ago

I once saw a very humorous piece about what a 'Spell-checker' will not pick up.   In your poem many a word-phrase was 'out of context,' yet a spell-checker would have allowed the whole lot to go through unchallenged.   You can see then, why such commonplace mistakes as 'your' you're would not be picked up.   This is why it is necessary to not only spell-check our work but to read it through with a critical eye.   And maybe more than once...

Yes, I enjoyed the limerick.

8. wildorangeflower profile image60
    wildorangeflowerposted 13 years ago

gud yur so gud, nice one BTW!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)