What inspires you?

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (71 posts)
  1. Michelle Izmaylov profile image59
    Michelle Izmaylovposted 13 years ago

Ah. Feels so good to plop down in front of your computer (or a notepad and pencil if you're into the tried, timeless and traditional) and write out a story, right? But what about those days when you're hammered with a heavy bout of writer's block? Where do you go or what do you do to fill yourself with fresh inspiration?

~Michelle

1. Lisa HW profile image60
      Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've been going through that for quite awhile over recent months.  The only thing that really at all inspires me to write is running into someone who asks a question (somewhere/anywhere, but often online) that's one I think I may be able to offer something helpful on.  Even if I think the person, himself, may not find what I write helpful, I then imagine that whatever I'm writing may be helpful to someone else.

OR, I'll go completely in another direction - writing something frivolous about anything at all, and about something that's so easy to write about it poses not challenge whatsoever.   OR, I'll decide to take advantage of the time and write some big, venting, rant that I know is useless and a big waste of everyone's time.   lol

Neither of the second approaches is ever really very effective.    Writing with the idea/motivation of trying to help someone is the one thing that sometimes results in reasonably good writing.

Really - I tend to think that sometimes the thing to do is just decide not to write for awhile.  Eventually, ideas start showing up on their own.  I've been in a giant, long, slump for months now; and it's getting so I'm building up a big collection of embarrassingly lousy writing.  It's least lousy when I'm at least trying to help someone.   hmm

Michelle Izmaylovposted 13 years agoin reply to this

*Laughs* Sounds like my kind of dilemma! Picking a topic that will hopefully help or inspire others sounds like a really great strategy, though. smile I usually do something completely spontaneous and unrelated to writing entirely! This sometimes digresses to running in circles around my living room until I trip on my feet and fall flat on my face. Then my brain jolts to an idea (joking, joking ^^)! I actually just usually read a book or watch one of my favorite movies. Or talk to my sister! She's bursting with ideas. smile

2. Mercedes-Benz30 profile image60
      Mercedes-Benz30posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oddly enough, perhaps, I seem the most inspired whilst I'm down-in-the dumps/blue/depressed. Does this sound logical?   When abysmal thoughts --combined with longings for past times of happiness--arise, and they are more frequent than not, it's like I can channel my thoughts through my fingers much more efficiently.

When I'm bored-silly, that is when the dreaded writer's block seems to grip me the hardest--probably no surprise there to many people, though. I (well, many of us) need a surefire method to combat this thief of creative juices and to be able to open up the floodgates of imagination once again--even when we're bored out of our minds!

3. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In remembering and feeling pain.  In retrospect, something always is inspiring what one learns or helps others within or from pain.

4. spiderpam profile image74
      spiderpamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The Bible, my relationship with God, a good meal, and of course family.

5. DeathMcGunz profile image61
      DeathMcGunzposted 13 years agoin reply to this

When I'm lacking inspiration, I tend to just sit behind my laptop and begin typing. Whatever comes out will either turn into a story, or get me through that horrible writer's block.

When I'm not lacking, usually music, movies, and my girl friend help to inspire me. It's always nice to be able to brainstorm with someone. You can throw ideas at them and they can tell you if it would be readable, or even worth trying.

After writing for a while though, you'll eventually come across your own ways to inspire yourself.

-DMG

6. MrAungst profile image60
      MrAungstposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I come from a really rural area, so a lot of times, when I try to write something that's meaningful, a lot of the people around here don't get it or appreciate it.  But more recently, I've been stuff with a more local flare, drawing from the events around me, and surprisingly, I'm liking my own work a lot better, and it's becoming a lot more well received.

2. PeppermintPaddy profile image59
    PeppermintPaddyposted 13 years ago

Neverland.

3. lovebuglena profile image85
    lovebuglenaposted 13 years ago

What inspires me? Hmmm... let's see

Nature inspires me. I would also say that love and heartbreak inspires me and the guys I went out with.

What's interesting is that sometimes a title of a song or a phrase within the song or a melody may inspire me to bring a piece of writing to life.

Lena

So true! Too often I'll listen to a song and suddenly a line will touch my heart and I'll /have/ to write about it. Ah, and romance and relationships . . . what sparks inspiration like love? smile

4. Denise Handlon profile image86
    Denise Handlonposted 13 years ago

Interesting question. For me, it means to sometimes get out of the routine-go some place fresh, new or not recently explored.  I was in writers block for awhile and realized it was my attitude-wanting to make the 'perfect' hub. Partly, my frustration was due to the job stress. Not enough of me to share.

Once I was on vacation I was taking photos everywhere and all my kids heard was, "this would make a good hub"  LOL   So, I have brought some of those ideas back with me and am recharged!

Inspiration for me comes from anywhere, nowhere in particular and/ or somewhere deep within.  Nature, my grandchildren, whatever makes my heart soar.  And, sometimes, whatever makes my heart ache.

Gazing out at the world around us and connecting with nature is definitely a great source of inspiration. But I know what you mean about "perfect"! That's my biggest challenge in writing. I try to make everything perfect from the first draft and always get bogged down over a phrase or sentence that takes days to get over. ^^

5. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Clarity and Imagination. smile

1. Denise Handlon profile image86
      Denise Handlonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey Cagsil-we must be strolling through at the same time...  I love your response. Two characteristics, if one would name them as such, that pack a powerful punch.

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would say we are a couple of minutes apart, but in the same area. I'm glad you liked my response. It happens to go with the many things I write. smile tongue big_smile

Ah, clarity . . . I need more of that in my writing. ^^' I tend to dissolve into random rants halfway through a short story or book chapter and then go back and have no clue where I was heading. smile

2. Denise Handlon profile image86
          Denise Handlonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

To Cagsil--Yes, yes, I see that (or read that ) smile   Good for you.  Both, so important in staying true-- Integrity  smile

6. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

many different things inspire me, used to be people, but lately, i have been reading the works of D.A.L. here on hubpages, his photos i find truly inspirational, and hubs too.

Hubpages does have many inspirational people with inspirational ideas and inspirational hubs!

. . . and I think I'm all out of inspirational/creative diction choices. ^^' I better sip some coffee before posting back on the thread!

2. lovebuglena profile image85
      lovebuglenaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

photos can be quite inspiring, especially nature ones.

Lena

7. profile image0
    Uma07posted 13 years ago

"Don't give up" attitude,smile

8. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 13 years ago

Everytime I look out into the night sky and see other distant stars or the morning sun rise amidst the morning air, I sip my coffee and then go back to bed, cos I'm knackered!

I love the stars and evening. Watching night wash over the city (okay, so technically the suburbs where we live) always brings me peace and inspiration! smile

9. BonnyC profile image61
    BonnyCposted 13 years ago

This might sound greedy, but money.  Paid articles, in particular.  If I see a nice $$ next to an article request, I'm plenty inspired smile

I actually like the research aspect of writing about things I don't know much about.  Gives me a chance to learn something new, so it makes the task that much more fun.

1. lovebuglena profile image85
      lovebuglenaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hmmm... an interesting type of inspiration. smile

lena

2. Michelle Izmaylov profile image59

Like I said earlier, bills do need to be paid. ^^ I'm glad you like enjoy researching new topics, though. Guess it feels a little less like work when you have fun doing it!

10. worldgrandeur profile image59
    worldgrandeurposted 13 years ago

Watching a movie I guess....

Does any kind of movie at all kick your imagination into high gear or do you have certain favorites you like to watch? I usually watch a movie in the same genre I'm writing in. Watching other people do wonders inspires me to work hard, too! smile

11. IntimatEvolution profile image68
    IntimatEvolutionposted 13 years ago

My family and everyday, ordinary, occurrences.

12. ohmygoodnessrae profile image60
    ohmygoodnessraeposted 13 years ago

Music and movies inspire me a lot.
    Also, theory. Little things I think about now and then that begin with "what if".

13. lorlie6 profile image72
    lorlie6posted 13 years ago

Ahh, the dreaded WB!  Music is magic, as is a reread of Anne Lamott's "Bird by Bird."

14. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 13 years ago

Oral sex! smile

15. blondepoet profile image66
    blondepoetposted 13 years ago

A kilo of king prawns, a plate of california sushi, a chocolate smeared kiss from a lover's lips, washed down with a glass of Midori

P.s Forget but I have to add a caramel topped cheesecake. Mmmmmmm.

1. lorlie6 profile image72
      lorlie6posted 13 years agoin reply to this

There you are, you muddy one.  Still dirty, I see...

1. blondepoet profile image66
        blondepoetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I beg your pardon Lorlie I swear I just had a bath, I did indeed.
        I saw these things you put in the bath. You swirl them around and your bath goes to jelly, then you add warm water when you are finished. Can you believe it? I really got to find this stuff.

1. lorlie6 profile image72
          lorlie6posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Okay, I believe you.  So those things turn the agua into Jello essentially?  Send me some once you get through with l,c!

Lol yes you can get green, red and blue.
            Oh would be delighted to send some.
            I always had a fantasy of having a jelly bath, hopping in with a spoon and a can of whipped cream LMAO
            I'm crazy aren't I??

1. profile image60
              logic,commonsenseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've fantasized about you in a jello bath as well!  Only you had company in my fantasy! smile
              Never would have thought of the whipped cream though! LOL!

How bout a cherry on top??

1. profile image60

On top of what? smile

On top of the pie. smile

2. profile image60

I'll be right over! smile
      How have you been?

Promises promises.
        Time for some action Logic lol.
        Yea I have been flat strap, fair dinky di, but it's all good am slowly getting on top...................of it.

1. profile image60

Glad to hear you are better, have really missed you!

Have missed you too Logic. it's been like eating a prawn and you can't get the shell off cos you broke a nail. Takes forever to get there, but so worth it when you do.

16. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 13 years ago

BP, your new hub about the love songs is great inspiration as well! smile

Aww thks heaps did you like all my little poems to sum each up. smile

1. profile image60

Very much so, I thought that was a great added touch!  Personalizes it so much more!

Gee Logic you give me such a big head. .....Bang.......just hit it on the mantlepiece.......you are the bees knees.

1. profile image60

I could say that you give me a big head too, but I'll be a gentleman and keep that to myself! smile

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. remaniki profile image79
    remanikiposted 13 years ago

A very interesting question. Something which happens to every writer. To me inspiration to write comes after meditation. I feel so happy and peaceful that I become creative after a half hour of meditation. The time spent on this everyday is worth it because it removes any sluggishness and makes me more productive. Like Lisa said, writing something to help others comes spontaneously and I don't need anything to inspire me.

Meditation, huh? I don't really have a formal routine, but I know what you mean about sitting down in a quiet place from time to time and just finding your peaceful center. It does help me write more afterwards! smile

18. Lita C. Malicdem profile image59
    Lita C. Malicdemposted 13 years ago

When writer's block attacks- and "nothing comes from nothing", I search around the net for inspiring stories of personal nature, and enjoy them. Rather than be sorry, I rest my mind, to condition it to work again.

Ah, the wonderful world of online stories.  Reading what others have to say about the general topic I'm working on helps me get inspired. Ex. I'm trying to write a funny "first date" scene. The thing that helps me most is checking out online stories others have shared about their experiences! Learning from their adventures helps me invent some of my own.

19. profile image0
    Words by Mikeposted 13 years ago

I am just going to jump in here as the new guy. I go to the elements, as I have a very strong connection in them. I love walking in the grass and feeling the wind blow around me, or sitting on the waters edge, watching the waves roll in. Sitting by a nights fire in my firepit calms and relaxes me. My Children are also a major source of inspiration to me. They can take my mind in its darkest and bring light bursting through.

20. Internetwriter62 profile image79
    Internetwriter62posted 13 years ago

Life, music, tv programs, movies and great books inspire me.

21. MalcolmKlock profile image61
    MalcolmKlockposted 13 years ago

Anything with really new ideas. Whether it be a film, book, music, conversation, people one meets. Inspiration usually comes to me with exposure to something radically different that reminds me it really is possible to do something entirely new.

22. Rod Marsden profile image67
    Rod Marsdenposted 13 years ago

When I am faced with writer's block I make a list in my head of the things that are most important to me and also the things I fear the most. Between the two lists I usually come up with something. Then there's the walk in the park or along a beach.

Generally speaking conflict comes out of fear and a desire to do something about that fear. As for what's important you can start with yourself and then progress to family and friends. Environment and environmental issues come into play because they affect us all including family and friends. It could be the government putting the squeeze on us all over carbon emissions which may mean paying more tax directly and also paying more for goods at the supermarket. It could be raging against an oil spill that should never have happened or writing fiction about a future spill closer to home.

The news can sometimes furnish ideas. Maybe there is an injustice you wish to address. Maybe a story is being slanted in a prejudicial way and you want to do something about it via your own writing.

Books do inspire me but usually weeks even months after I have read them and often not in a straightforward way but combined with other things. Books like 1984 and Make Room! Make Room! can share your life with you years after they have been read.

As for music, well, it can give me a time period and a setting. The 1920s wasn't called the Jazz era for nothing. The '70s to me is the disco era. The '80s is punk and new wave. As for the present day era I suppose hip hop and rap. But you can make up your own mind about the present era or other time periods. Whatever works for you and your imagination and your sense of history. You can even be anachronistic just so long as you know and work your fiction that way. Want a helicopter over the Somme circa 1917. Fine. Just figure out a way it could possibly get there from the present.

In the end life does lend a hand with your fiction but how it lends a hand, well, can be a mystery.

Beautifully spoken! Life just comes at you in all kinds of strange ways and you can never really expect what will come out of anything you do or try. 1984 really is a great example of just what you mean about books inspiring years after they have been read. I read 1984 for the first time in 9th grade but never really understood its meaning until my first year of college, at which point it inspired me to try my hand at a dystopian futuristic story. smile

1. Rod Marsden profile image67
        Rod Marsdenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There you go. Life...can't beat it for fiction and the novels that do touch you do come back to you from time to time.

23. ilovehoroscopes profile image60
    ilovehoroscopesposted 13 years ago

The ordinary people I see on a daily basis inspires me.

24. wildorangeflower profile image60
    wildorangeflowerposted 13 years ago

right now, snow, the thought of snow to come in the winter time

1. Rajab Nsubuga profile image60
      Rajab Nsubugaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is the under-taker, who lives next door.

25. myownworld profile image72
    myownworldposted 13 years ago

Real life - dipping my hands into it and feeling the heat reach my veins. Even human suffering. Each and every hub of mine is a result of this inspiration... felt in my blood. Unless I'm deeply moved, I just can't write. Hence, only 18 hubs so far.... yet a part of me has gone into them all smile

You have had a pretty good response to those hubs so you must be doing something right.

26. Dale Nelson profile image40
    Dale Nelsonposted 13 years ago

If its here then reading a couple of hubs gives some relaxation and time to get away from the pressure of writing.

But I would have to say to rid the page of writers block, I prefer to go and bounce around a bit at ezine articles for ideas so that I dont end up being swayed to rewrite what someone else has written a hub about.Nice for finding new topics.

But, to really master reset. Fishing on the beach brings the inspiration.

Sometimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits.

A lot of writers are into fishing. I happen to be one of them.

27. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 13 years ago

People that (without meaning to) are different, act different, or cause an unusual reaction from others.

1. sofs profile image78
      sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Usually kids and how they speak , emote, interact and deal with their problems.  Nature, things that happen around me, people. Life in general.......

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)