Consignment Shopping

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Mirraje profile image61
    Mirrajeposted 15 years ago

Any avid consignment shoppers out there? With today's economy, you'd have to be nuts not to shop consignment and resale stores. There are a lot of nice ones out there that carry designer clothing and accessories for a steal!  I'd love to hear about your favorite consignment shops in the State of Florida.

1. Stacie L profile image88
      Stacie Lposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Consignment stores are booming in this area of the state where I live!
      I've shopped in consignment stores most of my life;especially when I was a struggling student!
      There are great deals.Many cash strapped people are going to pawn shops first,but they are overwhelmed with merchandise right now.;smile

1. Nickny79 profile image68
        Nickny79posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Incidentally, selling on consignment is excellent for merchants.  Often small manufacturers or budding entrepreneurs will make a deal with merchants to have their goods displayed without requiring the merchant pay wholesale.  Whatever sells, merchant and manufacturer split.  Whatever doesn't sell goes back to the manufacturer.  This is how art galleries work as well.  The art galleries very often don't buy the works of art, they just let the artists display it in their space.

My aunt owns a boutique in NYC and she sells a whole line of jewelry on consignment with a local manufacturer.  She, and many other small merchants, really favor this way of doing business.

1. Stacie L profile image88
          Stacie Lposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Good point;I actually had my jewelry pieces on consignment in the gift shop of a community art center.
          It was good exposure and the center made some money from commissions roll

2. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 15 years ago

"This is how art galleries work as well.  The art galleries very often don't buy the works of art, they just let the artists display it in their space. "

Nny--
    That really really depends on what level of gallery you are talking about.

But yes, consignments are booming here in the Sedona area of N. Arizona, too...  That's because people are broke and fancy selling off their treasures for $ they can use.  It's OK, but the preponderance of such stores just springing up in the last few month here in the area is kinda depressing.

note my qualification "very often"

2. Nickny79 profile image68

Note that pawn shop style transactions are not the only kind of transactions contemplated by the term "consignment."  Generally, the term denotes a transfer of goods from a "consignor" to a "consignee" without a transfer of legal title to the consignee.    The consignor holds legal title to the goods, the consignee has possession of the goods and a right to transfer title to those goods on the consignor's behalf.  A consignment is a right to transfer title without actually holding title.  People in charge of warehouses, cargo ships (and yes, most art galleries) hold goods on consignment--but they are hardly second-hand stores.  In contrast, a plain vanilla seller of goods typically transfers both legal title and possession to a purchaser.  A bailment relations comtemplates a transfer of posession without either a transfer of title or a right to transfer title.  A bailor/bailee relationship exists, for instance, between you and your dry-cleaner.  A dry-cleaner has possession only for the purpose of cleaning and promptly returning your clothes.  These relationship (buyer/seller, bailor/bailee and consignor/consignee) also have implications with regard to lien priorities, security interests and a lot of other fun stuff that you should be thankful you don't have to worry about.

1. profile image0
        Leta Sposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Ok, Ok...  You got me on the legality language stuff.  My thoughts were actually my own quandary in trying to decipher the galleries here I'd consider legitimate and those which really are not...  And finding this place I'm at now slightly, hopelessly commercial rather than always necessarily artistically sound.  You find yourself in NYC after graduate school and see you didn't take advantage of it in the right way...  And you end up bourgeois! lol

• profile image0

'Sometimes' would work for me, actually, lol.  It is 'more' true....smile 

It's usually artist coops and crafty or selling-everything-but-the-kitchen-sink type galleries that do this.  Sometimes midlevel galleries (many fairly decent > l guess< here in Sedona).  But you aren't gonna see artists like April Gornik or Eric Fischl,Jun Kaneko, ie, showing on consignment...

Wow!  I got to talk about art! 

Guess I should take my own advice & write a hub....sad

• profile image0

BTW!!

Nickny79 has this great Murano Glass jewelry hub.  Very seriously, it is cool.  Check it out!

(I feel improper tonight. Corporate world will do that to ya...)

I'm appreciate the shout-out for my Murano Glass hub.  My girlfriend, who is from Venice, help me put that one together.  Leave it to me to find someone from Venice of all places!

• profile image0

Woooo!  NickNy has a girlfriend!  Now what will happen with the credibility of your other hubs??  I guess you are just doing some marketing on here after all, now.

I have a tendency to give you a hard time--or maybe it seems like it--so I thought I'd make up for it.

She's the most diligent student of my dating hubs.  I teach her all the tricks so that I'm the last one to ever trick her.  wink

1. profile image0
        Leta Sposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thing is, Mr. Nickny--  The thing I think (at least I do) most on here wonder about you is that you do realize the stuff you are suggesting--how to meet, make it indirect, etc., is just normal everyday male/female transactions for most and not 'tricks,' necessarily. 

You are sooo studied about it and ever so slightly objectifying that you do very much remind me of guys I knew who were in medical school who needed to keep women at a distance because they had to--I think they either saw it as 'achieve' vs. the 'females.'  And I don't think it has to be that way....  Seems like the law & medical students I knew who were married were the best adjusted and most calm.

Also gotta say, I would hate to be a guy and be expected to act in a traditional way that guys are usually judged...It would suck, especially if you are bright. On that level, I think you are helping some guys, actually.   At least as a kind of nontraditional female, you have the edge of being unexpected.  .

..Anyway, good luck to you and the Venetian girlfriend--yeah, hope you are the last one that tricks her, smile.

• Nickny79 profile image68
    Nickny79posted 15 years ago
  • profile image0

Well, no, I'm not surprised you have a lot of traffic on those hubs.  After all, apparently there is a book market, too, so there is obviously an audience.  You know, I'm not necessarily trying to put you on the defensive...

Let's put it this way, most of the guys I have known didn't have a problem with basic male/female relationships.  Except for some of the guys I would consider friends, lol! So I know who you are talking about.

This actually gets into the realm of communication anxiety, which I've actually studied a bit.  I.E., the most common form is public speaking anxiety, which I actually share with the majority.  But there are apparently a number of men (this study was the specialty of this certain professor I had) who can speak before groups, etc., etc., but are completely clueless and shy around the opposite sex--not just in meeting, but with the whole relationship process.  That seems kind of upside down, but absolutely, apparently they exist.

But, still, the basic trick for anyone is still meeting someone you truly are attracted to on more than a few levels--and that, to me--to many, I think is almost an irresistible draw, so that you don't have to have all the tips and tricks.  If you are truly interested in a person as you should be, it kinda comes naturally.

Incidentally, my little sister has kind of an issue with this--making out her laundry list of wants in a guy and going from guy to guy.  One of the last she chose because he'd put her on a pedestal in something of an objectifying way, ie, and boy, did that turn out bad.  !  I've just concluded she's simply not-so-good at relationships.  Big secret:  It's not all about you as a person, you actually have to care!

• profile image52
    jjmarksposted 15 years ago

have any of you considered buying jewelry from a pawn shop. not costume stuff but real?

• Post a Reply
    jump to first post

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)