I love shoes, but..

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (22 posts)
  1. 2patricias profile image60
    2patriciasposted 15 years ago

I used to love wearing high heels, but now my feet won't let me.  Ow!  they say.
    But I don't want to wear shoes like my teachers wore in the 1950s.  I'm not old yet.  In fact, I'm a Baby Boomer.  I refuse to ever be old.
    So why can't I find shoes that I like and that won't hurt my feet?

2. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 15 years ago

Heels are always going to 'hurt' a little bit, no matter who you are.  Plus, you just have to wear them in a bit and get used to them.

If you get chunky, wedgier heels, they are easier in many ways than stiletto type heels.

smile

3. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 15 years ago

I don't know-- I wear ugly comfortable shoes.  There are more important things to think about, why complicate life?

2patriciasposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I wear ugly comfortable shoes for the supermarket, and walking into town.  But sometimes I want to look a tiny bit glamorous.
      And sometimes I think about important things while wearing frivolous shoes!

1. Ktoo profile image61
        Ktooposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I'm 57 and have been out of high heels for some time now.  I look for gorgeous flats instead and have had good luck at Zappos and 6pm.com

I have a beautiful pair of Via Spiga flats that dress up any outfit and are some of the most comfortable shoes I own.

I'm not above wearing Sister Mary Elephant shoes if I have to walk distances, though.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image78
      Uninvited Writerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I've never worn high heels and I certainly haven't missed them. Well...unless you include platform shoes...but that is another story smile

My mother wore high heels and narrow pumps as a young woman and ended up with lots of foot problems.

I prefer running shoes but when I have to I wear dressy low-heeled sandals.

4. profile image0
    georgiecoxposted 15 years ago

I have a passion for shoes.  I could walk around shoe shops all day.  My other half literally pulls me at speed passed all shoe shops; because once I start browsing I'm there all day! 

I'm 58 and I find Clarks shoes the most stylish and comfortable; I usually wait for their sales then go a wee bit mad.  I've noticed this year's range is very trendy and a lot of younger people seem to be looking around these days.  So that must say something. 

I'm getting that itch talking about shoes better stop!!

Have a good day everyone.

5. profile image0
    C. C. Riterposted 15 years ago

Anyone recall those old shoes that grandma wore, like the ones that Eleanore Roosevelt had? haha just wondering

Yes, I do remember them because they were what my teachers wore when I was in grade school.  This is the look I want to avoid.

6. Jeniferr profile image70
    Jeniferrposted 15 years ago

I usually wear comfortable shoes to work because I work in a pretty relaxed atmosphere.  I do like to hit the town though and its amazing how much money I can spend on shoes that I wear so little.  I would say that's probably the case for a lot of women.

7. Maddie Ruud profile image71
    Maddie Ruudposted 15 years ago

I am a firm believer that something can be so ugly it's cute.  Case in point, my bitch Vivi:

http://photos-d.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v118/102/23/505470999/n505470999_369827_1398.jpg

Also relates to one of my favorite pairs of shoes:

http://photos-b.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v124/102/23/505470999/n505470999_444377_1600.jpg

Both your dog and your shoes are cute!  And the shoes look comfortable.  Just make sure that the dog doesn't take a liking to the shoes. (LOL)

8. Princessa profile image81
    Princessaposted 15 years ago

Me too I love high heels but it looks like ballerina shoes are just as fashionable and chic to wear.  See the photo of Carla Bruni wearing ballerina shoes to a wedding.  Because Sarkozy is so short, now she ONLY wears ballerina shoes in all public appearances so they can look the same hight!

http://i39.tinypic.com/10xzee1.jpg

9. nikna profile image61
    niknaposted 14 years ago

I love shoes too and there more than 20 pairs of them in my shoe cabinet. Most of them are flats and sandals. I cannot wear high heels as they hurt my feet. I only wear them which are only wedges only to special occasions like weddings and dinner parties.

10. PerfumeFan profile image61
    PerfumeFanposted 14 years ago

Heels = endless foot problems

I switched to ballet flat and open toe low-heeled shoes. Heels look sexy but I can't stand the pain of wearing one.

11. profile image0
    ms nikkaposted 14 years ago

Yea, I think every woman can openly say that although heels are gorgeous, they hurt your feet.

I recently started buying these gel insoles (you can buy them at target, walgreens, or any drugstore). You just stick them on your shoes and when you walk, it doesn't hurt. Or, you can try any other insoles for your liking. There's lots of insoles out there; shapes, size, density, material.

I literally stay on my feet for hours and hours without feeling ANY pain. They're a great invention.

Try it!

1. europewalker profile image78
      europewalkerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So true, I buy those for my heels. There is just something about wearing heels that makes me feel good. Sometimes I just wear them around the house for no reason.

12. RedElf profile image88
    RedElfposted 14 years ago

I have recently been able to go back to heels after many years of "no-go", but anything over about 2" is asking for trouble. Most of my shoes, alas, are sensible but Oh, so comfortable. I do find though that if I bite the bullet and buy really really expensive shoes, I get a far better fit and "comfort factor". I wish I could have a closet full of cute heels, but I make do with an extensive summer wardrobe of sandals (very cute and mostly flat). smile

13. profile image49
    sophiasmithposted 13 years ago

Hi everyone!
    Some of you seem to be experts on high heels in regard to comfort. My wedding is coming up and I am looking for some wedding shoes. I found a great pair at an online store called Piotrantoni Wedding Shoes. This pair comes in a 2cm, 6 cm or 9 cm heel? Which would you recommend?

Have a look and help me out please!

Thanks

14. brianzen profile image61
    brianzenposted 13 years ago

As a man with size 13 feet, I never wear heels, but since my height isn't an issue, I don't mind so much... (seriously wear boots with great ankle support and stilletos are no issue)

15. profile image0
    Precious Williamsposted 13 years ago

I'm never going to give up my high heels and I'm nearly 50.  If you buy good quality shoes (and I don't necessarily mean expensive) that fit  - it helps.  However, you also need to know how to walk properly and many women, don't so it causes problems.  I did loads of sports into my early twenties and had a bad neck injury, I also was a nurse and got a bad back and I am in constant pain from fybro myalgia.  However, I suffer no pain from high heels and my feet are still pretty and not marred by bunions, corns or mishapen toes.

16. Height Insoles profile image60
    Height Insolesposted 13 years ago

I used to wear a light and comfortable shoes when I worked as food runner in a restaurant. I need to serve the customers really fast and required a lot of walkings.

Now I use height insoles to give myself a little bit of extra height when I hang out with friends.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)