2 new blogs

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)
  1. warchild75 profile image64
    warchild75posted 13 years ago

I have been looking at starting a couple of blogs for some time now and seeing as im doing quite well with my hub earnings i thought i would try out blogs too,i have attained a couple of very good domain names from godaddy and would like somewhere which enables me to create and run a blog with my new domain names attached and perhaps the ability to be able to add a bit of html if i so desired to change the look,any ideas people.Thanks!

1. GarfieldGates profile image78
      GarfieldGatesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you are non-technical you may look into hooking your domains into Tumblr for one of the most simple blogging experiences you will ever have.  They have some good customizable themes or you can create your own if you like.

If you are willing to venture into a bit of an education on all things internet, blogging, etc.  Look into buying some hosting which offers wordpress installation - unless you want to learn how to install the blogging software yourself.

If this doesn't make sense, let me know and I will try to be a bit more clear.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You could just use blogger and set up a custom domain. Basically that means your domain name gets attached to your blogger blog.

These days, there are so many designs available on blogger, you don't really need to use HTML to customise the look.

Alternatively, if you're willing to invest some money, you could do as Terry suggested and open a hosting account.  Don't use GoDaddy though, use Hostgator.  You don't need a separate hosting account for each blog, either - that's a waste of money at this point.

Wordpress has literally thousands of different themes and plugins so you can customize almost anything you want without knowing any HTML.

warchild75posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks guys,i guess if i start out with blogger,then i would have to keep my blog there,and wouldnt be able to move it to wordpress at a later stage.Maybe i'll have a practice on blogger before i spend money on hosting etc!!

2. TerryGl profile image57
    TerryGlposted 13 years ago

Stay with Godaddy and open a hosting acount. One for each blog. Install wordpress on the hosting using their free installer. Upload a nice theme and write to your hearts content in the Wordpress platform.

Very easy to do and it leaves your site open to a multitude of changes as your blogger knowledge grows.

You can add html in both your posts and sidebar using a text widget.

Wordpress blogs are easy to rank in the serps and are simple actually, to work with.

3. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 13 years ago

Hi I have been using the new template designer on Blogger and the feature I really like about it is  the advanced feature on it. You can tweak the colours etc. and make it to your own colour scheme and you are not tied to one layout. You can have columns on the right side and left of your text for your ads etc.

Blogger also has the ability to have pages to your Blog now rather than just one scroll down page.

You can switch between different designs until you find one that suits you and still revert to the original one if you do not implement the changes you have experimented with. For me (new to blogging) I find it a good place to practice.

warchild75posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'll have a look at blogger,i have 3 blogs on there but they are just to promote my hubs more than anything,i will re-visit blogger,what i really want to know is if i start out with something simple,say blogger can i move my blog somewhere else or set up self hosting.does anyone know if this is possible.I dont really want to spend 6months practicing my blogging skills only to find i cant move my blog at a later date

1. TerryGl profile image57
        TerryGlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's exactly why you have your own hosting. It costs $4.95 a month. I think that's a cup of coffee once a month. No big deal.

If you go the hosting route just as Marisa said, on Hostgator, costs $1.00 for the first month then about $6 a month after that. You can host your two domains on that one account.

A lot might disagree with me here, but adsense does not pay as high on blogger as a self hosted blog with a dedicated hosting site.

If your in doubt, don't do anything. If you are serious then go for this and give it your best possible effort. It is a win win situation or keep trying right up to the point when you do start winning. No more standing back humming and erring, get to it. And good luck...

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you use blogger with your own domain name (look under "Publish" - you'll see where you attach your domain there), then you can easily move the whole thing to Wordpress later.

http://www.google.com/support/blogger/b … swer=55373 

Later on, it's easy to export your posts and pages from Blogger (it's just one file) and import them into Wordpress, and you simply unattach your domain name from Blogger and set it up with a hosting service.

Having said all that, I did what Terry recommends - if you're willing to make the investment, which isn't that much really, Wordpress is great.

4. warchild75 profile image64
    warchild75posted 13 years ago

Thank you all i will look into this some more and then make a decision based on what i have learned.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)