Digg,Stumbleupon and Reddit

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (22 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Uma07posted 13 years ago

I wished to post my links to my hubs on these sites to increase my hub traffic but Digg says they are not taking any new members temporarily.Reddit allowed me to post only one link and I just couldn't figure out what StumbleUpon was all about(I mean how to create a login ID etc....very confusing)
    Are you  using these sites to drive traffic?

1. wilderness profile image93
      wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I tried stumbleupon and got some 16 hits in a week, but then it died completely.  Had I followed through with the whole social networking concept and made friends (or whatever they're called there) it might have done better, but I simply don't have the hours necessary all the time to actively participate in a social network.  Neither am I interested, which makes the process twice as bad.

1. profile image0
        Uma07posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Same applies here wilderness.In fact I hadn't been very active on HP either after creating my account.

2. Lisa HW profile image62
        Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Glad to know I'm not the only one.  I set up the whole profile and started to figure out what people are supposed to be doing on there; but the truth is, I'm not there for my health (or to look at a bunch of stuff out of nowhere)..  lol  Let's face it.  A lot of people only want traffic to their own stuff and aren't interested in whatever else shows up.  I have an almost profile there now, with just one guy's thing on there (that I didn't read but that I added because the subject is something I might be interested in if I were looking for stuff to be interested in. ).   I can't pretend to be in interested in what I'm not interested in, because I get to StumbleUpon and think, "So what now?  I'm not interested in anything."   lol  I'm in the process of closing down a lot of accounts like that, that I opened because "everyone said to", and that I realized later there's no way I can pretend to be interested on those sites (or want to make friends).   roll

2. tobey100 profile image59
      tobey100posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I launched into using all three but dropped all three.  No traffic and a pain in the *** to use.  I use Redgage and Windows Blogspot (along with Twitter, Facebook and Myspace) to spread the gospel according to me.

3. nicregi profile image66
      nicregiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Definitely!

StumbleUpon: Good site to get traffic to your hub.
      Digg: Same with StubleUpon
      Reddit: It keep saying I have reached the limit for posting and ask me to wait for an hour. Waited for few days and still the same.

I love StumbleUpon to make up my hubs to the eyes for the public especially when I just posted it. Good for publicity.

Then it all comes down to what you write and the content to drive them back to you smile

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
        Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Please remember these sites were designed for people to bookmark websites they really liked.  You're not supposed to just bookmark your own work. If all you ever do is submit your own Hubs, you will get banned and you might even get all Hubbers banned.

A good rule is to submit 10 other sites for every Hub you submit.  That way you're less likely to get found out.

1. profile image0

Thanks Marisa.I need to learn a lot before going into linking strategy and I AM slowly learning.

2. profile image0

Good point Marisa.I am slowly learning the traffic strategy and I am sure I'll learn it some day.

2. profile image0

tobey and nicregy , thanks for responding.

2. starme77 profile image78
    starme77posted 13 years ago

Yeah, the social bookmarking sites really only bring in traffic , no real hits or clicks, stay with SEO

1. PaulaHenry1 profile image64
      PaulaHenry1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Agree. I tried stumbleupon and it did nothing for me. And like you said, very confusing. I'll just stick to HP for now...

3. profile image0
    Uma07posted 13 years ago

Thanks Starme and Paula.Really encouraging.I have been very confused about things on increasing traffic.This is some relief smile

1. rmcrayne profile image90
      rmcrayneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Traffic from bookmarking sites is great in the short term.  In the long term, it is the collective power of many backlinks through bookmarking sites and other promotion that gets you the traffic.  That takes many months.  My best hubs still only average 20 to 30 visits a day.  When there is a spike, it is usually from being featured by HubPages.  When you start getting a few hubs with several hundred, then several thousand, visits per day, then you will know that your efforts have paid off. 

Here are just a couple references that are helpful to me (by sunforged and ryankett):

http://hubpages.com/hub/Get-Website-Tra … -earn-from

http://hubpages.com/hub/Increase-Your-T … PR4-or-PR5

1. profile image0

Just visited the hubs rmc.There are lots of things to be learnt and as every hubber says it's slow and steady but definitely rewarding.Thanks for the links smile

4. Ultimate Hubber profile image73
    Ultimate Hubberposted 13 years ago

Like others have mentioned, your time is better spent doing SEO, because that will bring the targeted traffic.

1. profile image0

I will be concentrating on that now ,Ultimate hubber.Thank u. smile

5. themist profile image60
    themistposted 13 years ago

Well, I'm only using Digg at the moment and it has brought me a couple of hits which has felt nice, so I'm going to stick with that one.

I haven't tried generating traffic any other way, but I'm hoping that in the future (after more research and understanding) that it'll pick up.

1. profile image0

themist, I wish you lots of luck smile.It's just that when things don't go right I turn up here at the forum for help and I must add at HP everyone's there to bring you out of the problem.

6. Kyriana profile image68
    Kyrianaposted 13 years ago

I just looked at my traffic sources and there are 19 different ones listed. From what I can tell, digg and stumpleupon provide a bit of traffic but google, search.yahoo and bing all top them.
    I'm still getting the hang of this so someone please correct me if I'm wrong. With those being the top 3, I am getting more traffic from SEO than from putting my hubs on digg or stumbleupon. Reddit is a strange place.
    Hope that helps!

7. profile image0
    BRIAN SLATERposted 13 years ago

since i joined hp's i also joined these sites but found very little traffic from them so stopped using 2 of them. I like redgage and get quite a bit of traffic from there, but i find it's so time consuming making friends on these sites and commenting on their work and posting in the forums that i also believe it's not really worth it. When you first join HP you want lots of traffic coming to your hubs so you enrol in everything, but after 3/4 months you notice that more and more of your traffic is coming from google and yahoo. So don't waist your time and continue to write quality hubs and the traffic will come just as i was told 4 months ago.

8. thisisoli profile image74
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

You can get traffic from these sites, but it is low quality.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)