Is race really a big deal in the US?

Jump to Last Post 51-62 of 62 discussions (172 posts)
  1. bsscorpio8 profile image60
    bsscorpio8posted 13 years ago

Racism is still thriving; it just isn't fashionable. One of the worst things to be called today is a racist. Racism is not dead, it just smells funny.

1. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. IntimatEvolution profile image67
    IntimatEvolutionposted 13 years ago

Sadly, I think it is.  My son recently invited his childhood best friend to come and stay with us for a week.  He lives in a small town about 75 miles away from us.  From the moment that child got here, it was Chink(?)this, or wet-back that...  He had a word for every minority group.  After only a few hours of him being here, I finally had to sit him down and explain to him how my household condemns such vulgar language and racism.  The kid is only 15.  However, he is apparently learning it somewhere.  Because my son is not like that at all.  I could see that it was even making Zach uncomfortable. 

We live in a larger community, and are around and working side by side people of all nationalities.  I think that is what makes Columbia Missouri the great city that it is.  However, Zach's friend comes from small town USA, and clearly they do not like anybody other than the white race.  Seeing how 99.999% of the town are white.  It breaks my heart.

3. ahostagesituation profile image81
    ahostagesituationposted 13 years ago

Hi, Kristin!  I think I want to comment on the 'mixed relationship' question.  The demographics in this country are unique.  We are very racially mixed as a whole, but due to community support, many racial groups are concentrated in specific areas of a specific state or city.  At times large groups from a certain country have migrated to the country together specifically for support. I can tell you where the "Russian neigborhood" is in my area, or where there the highest concentration of Punjabi speakers are.  So, while America is very racially mixed, we can be very racially divided.  This question of mixed relationships is specific to the area of the country you live in to a degree.  I've been in more then one mixed relationship, and it really did depend on where we were. I could talk about this all day, but dating out of your race certainly can be a problem here.

4. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 13 years ago

I know in my circles, race is a bigger deal to blacks and Hispanics and Asians than it is to Caucasians.

1. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey  you, and in a multicultural society that Canada is so proud of, Canadians are now a minority, I would say the same thing. 

And I take my own responsibility, having black family and friends, I hear what they say and am currently working on a hub titled, I'm tired of feeling guilty for being white', 

It addresses all these views, hell I had even been a jew for 5 years when I married until divorced, I guess my point is like yours every race has a percentage of people who are against another race.  But it has become so obvious it's ridiculous,

I'm not a cracker, though get called one, well I'll finish up  in my hub and talk about what drives me to fear whom.  That's all racism is.  Fear of the unknown.

Cheers to all races but logics

lol

j/k

agree with you and needed to be said

1. profile image60
        logic,commonsenseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am beginning to think logic is close to becoming a extinct race!  smile   (I know what you meant)

5. ktarcus profile image74
    ktarcusposted 13 years ago

From the outside looking in I see the main problem is one of segregation by your own politicians and media folk, over here in the UK we have ethnic minorities and small enclaves of single race populations but we do not classify people as being Black Englishmen or Hispanic Brits while all reports from America include such things as A BLACK AMERICAN OR AN AFRICAN AMERICAN this that or the other surely until you can get over the colour of a persons skin and just call everyone AMERICAN without a prefix there will always be a problem.

1. Jim Hunter profile image60
      Jim Hunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That is how the different races refer to themselves.

I am just American.

2. bsscorpio8 profile image60
      bsscorpio8posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Unfortunately, when you set out to destroy a race of people, one of the only ways for the people to regain some sort of identity is to attach the suffix of said "minorites" in order to establish pride and solidarity.

1. ledefensetech profile image70
        ledefensetechposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh Lord.  If we were really out to destroy you, why would we allow you the same rights as other citizens?  You can vote, right?  You don't have "separate but equal" facilities anymore do you?  You can apply for any job you want to, right?  Why is it we seem to pick on the blacks and not the Japanese or Chinese?  You can, after all, tell who is of Asian descent as much as you can someone with African or Anglo-Saxon descent.  So what is the difference?

Who is we? I am talking about the past.Why would anyone have a problem with hyphenated names.Why? Is it threatening? You need to go back and revisit history.Hyphenated names goes back to identifying culture, thus the summer festivals. The Italian Festival (enjoyed by Italians and Italian-Americans alike) the Polish Festival (enjoyed by Polish and Polish-Amaericans alike)and so on. Once again, who is the "we" you mentioned when you stated, "If WE were really out to destroy you..."

The hyphenated names are not for "you". After all, what's in a name?

1. Jeff Berndt profile image72
            Jeff Berndtposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"Why would anyone have a problem with hyphenated names.Why? Is it threatening?"

No, it's not threatening, but to a white person who fears the looming end of white privilege it's probably dead scary.

What's in a name?

2. ledefensetech profile image70

Nothing is in a name.  It's stupid.  I could call myself a Mexican-American, but I don't.  I'm an American.  Just that.  American.

That is your perogative, although you have Mexican-Americans who do not mind to refer to themselves as such.

"A rose by any other name, is still a rose." Read: An American by any other name, is still an American.

VIVA MEXICO!!!!!!

The problem I have with hyphenated names is that it separates us into groups.  When you do that, it's very easy to be manipulated into fighting with the other groups.  That's one of the ways the plantation owners kept both their slaves and the po' white trash down prior to the Civil War and why there were so many white and black sharecroppers in the South after the War.

You might be interested in the difference of the standard of living between people of the North and South in the antebellum US.  I'll have to dig up the reference, but there was a guy who traveled the North and South pre-Civil War and noted various differences between the sections.  The main point was that the South lagged far behind the North when it came to standard of living.  Not only because of the slaves but the effect slavery had on the poorest of whites as well.

The gist of all this is that the plantation owners used the fact that the rural poor in the South might be poor, but at least they weren't black.  This kept two groups who should have been allies, separated and at the mercy of the large plantation owners.

I know about that; today, we call that classism, and it is well on it's way to being in full effect, hyphenated names or not.

We are separated by our culture that is handed down from generation to generation,though we are still mixed in the"melting pot" of America, we still hold onto to that which makes us unique.

Classism is a bit different.  It's hating someone because of social class.  Which is kind of stupid in a (somewhat) meritocratic society.  I'm not so sure we need to hold on to our uniqueness.  Look at the things that the black community has brought us from music, dance, to science and technology.  Black heroes like the Tuskegee airmen occupy the same place in our legendary as the Big Red One or the Marines of Guadalcanal. 

If anything this insistence on "uniqueness" is keeping the Mexican people, for one, segregated and soon to become second class citizens.  How easy would you find it, for example, to assimilate into a culture, say Japan, without knowing the language, customs and history of the people?

Heck my  mom got her citizenship and knows more about America and her history than many native Americans.  Like I said, I may be of Mexican descent, but I'm an American first and foremost.

Differences in standards of living = classism.

1. Cagsil profile image71
                    Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The difference is not a racial problem or even a social problem. The problem stems from a lack of knowledge and wisdom of life.

Race has nothing to do with it.

2. ledefensetech profile image70

Sorry, but that's not right.  You're always going to have differences in individual standard of living because people have different abilities and skills.  I'll never be a major league pitcher or basketball star, for example.  Classism is dividing people into arbitrary groups for the purposes of defining some social construct.  Upper, middle and lower class for instance, or king, aristocracy and peasant for another example.  What makes classism evil is that is can be and is used to keep people in those groups, no matter their skill level or ability.  In that way everyone suffers.  By all accounts Fredrick Douglass was a remarkable man.  The great evil of slavery, had it survived, was that such men as he or men like George Washington Carver would never have been known to us.

The idea that racism is subliminal or somehow unconscious, is crap.  Sorry to be so stark about it, but the very idea that human beings, thinking rational beings that we are being pushed around by unrealized wants and needs is just stupid Freudian crap.  Racism is something that is taught as well as something that can be rationalized.  In the end, no matter what class, culture, race or other artificial group you put yourself or others in; the fact remains that we are all, first and foremost, human beings.

6. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

Sure, there are pockets of folks spread across the country that are total racists. There are also pockets of folks that believe we should legalize marijuana, impeach the president and allow people to walk around with loaded guns. Those few, however, certainly do not speak for me or the majority of Americans. That said, if a tornado came through town today and killed a black family, you can be sure that Al Sharpton, the NAACP and a host of others would be on the news tomorrow claiming that racism caused it. Whatever floats their boat, I guess. They gotta make a living somehow. smile

7. MSMonroe47 profile image61
    MSMonroe47posted 13 years ago

Yes race is a major factor in American society and has been since the being.  Some of the behavior is blatant, while other actions practically transparent.  There are everyday actions that people take for granted, which impact our understanding of race relations.

8. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

Wow, this thread took a turn. I'm an Irish-American and I will keep the hyphen until I die. I am very proud of my heritage. That said, how did the hyphen thingee turn into something racist?

It's not racist, well maybe it is a little.  It's one thing to take pride in your heritage, it's another to use hyphenated names to divide us into little groups.  That's why I prefer American of Mexican descent in my case.  If you want to keep the hyphen, by all means do so.  In the case of Mexican-American, all to many of those consider themselves part of La Raza.  You'll be hard pressed to find a more racist group of people.  They also advocate the secession and return of the Southwest to Mexico.  No think you, I'd rather not live in a place where you have to give an actual bribe in order to get anything done.

So I might be a tad emotional about the whole hyphen thing, but I think I have a good reason.

1. lrohner profile image69
        lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sooo, Mexican-American for you becomes La Raza? Don't know what it is, but your heritage is as much American as it is Mexican. You should never be ashamed of either, and if you are, then they've won.

Oh I'm not ashamed by any stretch of the imagination.  There is, however, a subset of my mother's people who want to shred this nation to correct some wrong that happened decades ago.  Personally I'm glad the Southwest is part of the US and not Mexico.

To be clear, La Raza is a Hispanic organization.  They exist only to rip the Southwest from the US and "return" it to Mexico.  Personally I think that if they ever succeeded, they'd just secede and form their own nation.  They're also racist and hate white people more than the New Black Panther party does.  You have no idea how much contempt I hold members of La Raza in.

FYI, La Raza literally means The Race in Spanish.

Most become haters, especially if they were the victim, and not the perpetrator. Such is the effects of hate.

Gee, where does hate emanate?

Very well said!!

That's what I say!!!!

9. lorenzo neal profile image59
    lorenzo nealposted 13 years ago

Does racism exist, I say yes! However;I believe that racism is simply something that is promoted to keep those in power there. In many cases today, racism is tossed around whenever convenient for non-whites to get their way or out of trouble. The wealthy want to stay wealthy and the disenfranchised are easy bait for foolishness of racism.
    As a young black man, I've experienced discrimination and the intimidation from people of other races,so I will say that there are people in this country who still harbor racial animosity from every racial group because every racial group has been discriminated in this country- poor & Irish whites, Asians, Hispanics and of Racism is only racism when someone else calls it that. Right now, its the media promoting racism to stimulate news stories, but in reality, most Americans are not racist, simply ignorant and misguided.

Racism's three best friends: ignorance, misinformation, and promotion.

10. Moonchild60 profile image74
    Moonchild60posted 13 years ago

These were certainly interesting comments. I think the media is just that. Media.  They entertain, and that includes the news.  That is why they don't report "real news" because sensationalism sells and important relevant facts happening in the world bore the American population which by and large get bored with REAL news and wouldn't watch it. 
    Does racism exist?  Of course it does.  It is usually under the radar though anyway.  Example: I live in the Hamptons, very famous for the wealthy and famous people that come here.  My husband creates gardens out here.  He has some hispanic workers, a couple of black workers and a couple of white workers.  Interesting fact: Our wealthy clients would prefer black or white workers over hispanic workers, claiming they cannot communicate with the hispanics.  But they have accused our workers of various things happening at their homes simply because they are hispanic and don't trust them. Our neighbors complained because of all the hispanics in the street in the morning getting ready to work, it clearly made them uncomfortable.  These same people would say in conversation with their friends "I am not at all prejudice". 
    My first husband was from India. When we had our son we moved from an all white neigborhood to a racially mixed one so my son would fit in and be with children of all races.  My youngest son from my second marriage is jewish.  For me this has highlighted anti-semitism in this country.  Especially since we are in a predominantly christian area.  Most people ARE prejudice, they just don't know it.  They should ask themselves a few questions: Do you have any hispanic or black friends?  Not work acquaintances, good friends?  Do you have a habit of saying "Why do "they" do that? act like that?  talk like that?"  Grouping "them" together as one?  Have you ever gotten uncomfortable because you were the only person in a group of "others" not of your race?  When you meet someone and find out their last name is "Stein" or "Goldberg" is your first thought 'oh, he/she is jewish".  Think about it. Because people usually were unaware both when I was with my first husband and my current husband that they were Indian and Jewish, I am privvy to people saying things that they would not say in front of me if they knew who my husbands were.  Trust me, people are prejudice and actually believe they are not.  They simply are unaware of the things they say and how it reveals who they really are.

11. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

sorry I jumped in so late into this chat...

but I just wanted to see... are white people still being suppressed in the US?  I was planning a trip later this year, but I don't want to head down if I am going to be persecuted.

It is a new trend that is starting to make headway; you had better head down before the trend REALLY catches on.

1. Greek One profile image63
        Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

should I prepare for my trip by tanning?

I heard a lot of Palin supporters warning about this kinda stuff when Obama took over!

No. Go directly to Alaska.

12. Ralph Deeds profile image66
    Ralph Deedsposted 13 years ago

For some people race is a "big deal" in the United States. Read the linked story about the Flint, Michigan, serial slasher, described as a "muscular white man, who has attacked and stabbed 13 black men, killing five of them if memory serves.

"In fact, there's concern throughout Genesee County as police search for a knife-wielding man who has attacked 13 men since May, killing five....

"All the victims have been black men, and the attacker is described as a younger white man with a muscular build. The victims have tended to be vulnerable -- some with slighter builds, some older and each walking by himself..."

Read more: Flint police search for serial slasher | freep.com | Detroit Free Press http://www.freep.com/article/20100806/N … z0vqwSpWFq

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)