Anyone like me: not into cooking (or eating much for that matter)

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)
  1. schoolgirlforreal profile image78
    schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years ago

I hate recipes, and don't read hubs on recipes or cooking.
    I know how to cook stuff like pork chops and vegetables, or shepard's pie, and other things like pancakes, but I don't LIKE TO...unless I have someone else to cook for and am in the mood!!

2. Aficionada profile image80
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

This makes me smile, or laugh or something.  My mother hated to cook, but she did it all the time (not many convenience foods way back when).  I was determined that I would be a good cook and enjoy it, but I don't much, except for Thanksgiving.  THEN I really do love it.  I guess I would have to say that I am in the mood at that time.

My husband does most of the cooking now.  It's not that I don't want to, it's just that he wants to more than I do.  big_smile

Sometimes I enjoy looking at recipes to try to find one that might inspire me - but the inspiration usually goes away before I actually cook whatever-it-is.

I'm being a little bit too one-sided here.  There really are some great recipes that I enjoy very much - occasionally - either cooking or eating or both.  It's the dailiness of it that gets to me over time.  It's just not that big a priority for me.  Other things in life are so much more interesting and fun!

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image78
      schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years agoin reply to this

cute- I agree that whoever likes cooking more prob does big_smile

3. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 13 years ago

for me its just that 3 squares everyday gets boooooring!  I have to prepare 3 a day (unless we go out, like we did today at lunch) because I'm a caregiver for a disabled person.  It just isn't normal at all for me to do this and as a result I have put on some pounds, too.  I am a terrific cook and enjoy trying new dishes and foods - my client does not enjoy new things.  He wants the same basic 5 dishes all the time.  I do just break out and cook different things (last night it was crab cakes made with fake crab and shrimp meat that tasted just like the real thing - with a creamy wine sauce - which he thought were "too soft"!)  So there's no point in trying to make gourmet stuff for him, a waste of time.  Still, I think I could be very happy cooking one meal a day and just having snacks in between - I'd weigh less too!

1. mzlje profile image61
      mzljeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree the required 3 meal a day is riduculous. I worked for 6 months in the kitchen of a large correctional facility while waiting to be hired as an officer.I worked the day shift, 2 meals breakfast and lunch.I gained about 15lbs because we ate  when the inmates ate.Then I went home and cooked dinner for me and my husband.I have'nt eaten 3 meals a day since I was in grade school (i'm 50). They were on a 5 week cycle that repeated over and over. I learned a few things about cooking,that were good but the main thing I learned was I needed to know how to cook and eat healthier!! Oh and the inmates were the biggest complainers I've ever met.

4. Aficionada profile image80
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

Ohhhhh, uhhhhhh.... hmmmmm

I hope you get paid really well for this!  That's got to be disheartening to try to do something to lift the spirits - and then for that to backfire!

I actually sort of do go with one square a day and snack-y stuff otherwise.  Well, cereal for breakfast.  Lunch may be just yogurt or leftovers, if I remember to eat. smile

5. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 13 years ago

I get paid ok.  There are a lot of things related to personalities and just the dreariness of aging and disabilities that are drawbacks in this line of work.  But then there are great rewards as when we go to the cardiologist and discover that his heart is actually improving over the past two years!  which is kind of unheard of for his ailments.  And then it is rewarding to improve other people's lives.  The day to day reality isn't much different than trying to please a picky, grouchy husband!  and I've done that too.  Knowing that I'm not going to do too much toward actually changing his ways is important for my mental health - although I do give him a healthy diet and get him away from the TV now and then, he's still going to watch Fox News (with the TV turned up LOUD while I'm cooking dinner for him) which drives me nuts.  An exercise in listening without commiting my thoughts to their shenanigans on TV.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)