Should the husband or the wife be the one to work? or both?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (12 posts)
  1. Evan Hutchinson profile image68
    Evan Hutchinsonposted 13 years ago

Who should work and who should stay at home?

1. schoolgirlforreal profile image78
      schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years agoin reply to this

sorry there's a dog barking incessantly and I can barely think.

But I think...it depends on many things
      children
      health
      job payout
      etc

2. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

They could figure it out between them. Gender roles are obsolete.  Establishing what is going to work best as a family is better. big_smile 

Though I do personally feel that at least one person should be home with the kid/s until they go to school but if you can't afford it or the mother or father want to work and enroll their kid/s in some sort of childcare program, that is good too just as long as there is an agreement. big_smile

3. kerryg profile image85
      kerrygposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've seen a pretty reasonable argument that neither should leave the house to work.

Since that's not an option in most families, though, I think at least one parent should ideally be home all the time until the kids are in school. It doesn't matter to me which one, or if they take turns. I've known families where the mother was better suited to be the stay-at-home partner, and families where the father was better suited to stay at home. It depends on too many factors to make any kind of sweeping generalization. Each individual family needs to make its own individual decision based on its own individual circumstances.

2. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

I think the wife should stay home till the kids go to school. But after that, unless she's bringing in money staying at home, she should goto work, even if it's part time.

Just because you're a woman doesn't mean you have to depend on a man to support you. My mum did that, always spending dads money, spending all day on the phone and visiting friends.

I'd like to get to the point where I'm earning enough online to support myself while staying home. But I have a nine month old baby right now and I work part time.

1. ceciliabeltran profile image64
      ceciliabeltranposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The cost to your baby is huge. The thing is do the part-time thing knowing what your priorities are. I realize that you really have to know what you can willingly give up in the task of balancing child and self and it's not an easy answer. Without time for your self, ultimately it is your child that suffers.

3. pylos26 profile image70
    pylos26posted 13 years ago

In our town only the wives work...husbands have much more important things to attend to like drinking beer and fishing.

4. Tom Cornett profile image80
    Tom Cornettposted 13 years ago

Families have to be diverse...especially in the world today.  I worked to make money.  My wife worked to raise the children....along with raising me at times. The children worked at their education with parental guidance to become responsible adults.
    We just need to do what is best for our own family. That could be many different ways.

5. Ladybird33 profile image67
    Ladybird33posted 13 years ago

I think it is best for each family to figure out what works bests for them, the times are different.  I think most moms would like to stay home but times are tough, so it's harder for them to do so...my opinion

6. just mee profile image60
    just meeposted 13 years ago

who ever makes the most money.

7. cathylynn99 profile image75
    cathylynn99posted 13 years ago

A study in the 80's showed that what well-adjusted children have in common is one hour of face-to-face time with a parent each day. I had a stay-at-home mom but I didn't get that hour regularly. A good daycare has socialization advantages over staying at home with mom or dad. No one needs to stay home.

I recommend that you read "Iron John" about sons needs to see their father at work.

Otherwise, I second kerryg.

8. dgicre profile image69
    dgicreposted 13 years ago

Guess I am old fashioned, but I always wanted to be the one to go to work. I could make more money and I would much rather let my wife stay home if that is what she wants to do. This gives me comfort knowing that my two dogs(kids) are not cooped up all day alone at home and they also provide companionship to my wife as well. If I had to hire someone that could do all the stuff my wife get's done around the home front. It would be really expensive, not to mention the burden it takes off of me. Wish I could make enough money to work from home and be with the wife and kids. In this tough economy, I do consider myself fortunate to have a full-time day job to go to.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)