A question for non believers.

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (106 posts)
  1. stilljustwonderin profile image61
    stilljustwonderinposted 13 years ago

I have been told that my belief in the Bible and God is a threat to non believers.  My question is, How is something you don't believe in a threat to you?  If I don't believe in something I don't feel threatened by it.

1. the pink umbrella profile image74
      the pink umbrellaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Who told you your belief was a threat? Thats the dumbest thing ive ever heard. I can see if your shoving it in their face they could say its annoying, but how are your personal beliefs a threat? what are they afraid of???

stilljustwonderinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm not going to call any ones names.  The Bible speaks of hell which he considers is a threat.  If some one doesn't believe in the Bible, they don't believe in hell, then I don't understand how it is a threat.  I agree that shoving something down some ones throat who doesn't believe is annoying.  That only pushes people away.  Every one is entitled to their own beliefs.  I was just wondering if any one else felt a threat by the Bible, if so, why.
        I'm not changing my beliefs, I'm not trying to make any one else change theirs.  I couldn't if I tried.
        I just feel we should respect each other.

2. psycheskinner profile image82
      psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It doesn't.  Who told you that?  Some really insecure person?  Or some other believer trying explain why atheist are sick or being preached at? (Other than because they don't like be harrassed).

3. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have never met a non-believer who feels threatened by a believer's belief.

I have met quite a few believers (not just Christians, but believers in various cults, and other religions) who feel very threatened by non-believers, and therefore close their mind to any debate.   It seems to me that anyone secure in their belief has no reason to feel threatened, which makes me wonder how secure they really are.

Non-believers get frustrated and annoyed by believers who insist their beliefs are right and try to foist them on other people.  That's the reaction you're misinterpreting as "feeling threatened", I think.

1. earnestshub profile image79
        earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

precisely!
        Well said Marisa. smile

2. stilljustwonderin profile image61

He said the Bible is a third party threat because it speaks of hell.  Every one believes that their beliefs are right or  they wouldn't believe them.  No one is going to change my beliefs as I am sure no one will change yours.  We are all entitled.
        If I don't believe in something I won't feel threatened by that belief system.
        I am not going to enter into a conversation and insult, offend the other people just because they do.  You have the right to believe, or not believe as you wish.
        If you and a friend are sitting at a table discussing something and I hear you.  If I don't believe in what you are saying, I won't offend you, I will go find some one else to talk to.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
          Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't know which "he" you're referring to, but that's one individual.  And I think he was probably saying that some Christians (not you particularly) use Hell as a threat to try to frighten non-believers into believing.  That's not the same as "feeling threatened".

Yes, but if you were talking about any other belief or opinion - political, scientific etc - you would be willing to engage in conversation with people who had other opinions, and be able to explain the reasons for your view.  Many Christians (again, not talking about you as I haven't met you) refuse to debate rationally and denigrate people who disagree with them.

Quite right too.  However if you're trying to draw a comparison with discussing on these forums, it won't do.  If you post on any forum here, you are inviting ALL other Hubbers to join you at the table, to have a debate.  And a debate means that you discuss the topic from all angles, not just one. 

If you want to have a private conversation with a like-minded friend or friends, public forums are not the place to do it.

True enough.  How ever if I did join in the conversation about something I don't believe in I wouldn't insult them or offend them.  Every one has the right to believe as they wish.  I have been bashed on here because I said that we aren't suppose to judge.  Well, we're not.  Who am I to judge you?  I don't have that right.  I am not perfect.

so is this really about somenone being threatened, or is this about how you feel people are threatened and thats why they bash christians? Im only asking because you seem to be poseing alot of these questions, yet your main response is that people should just be nice.

No, some one told me that the Bible which I believe, speaks of hell for unbelievers, which is a threat.   I conceded that.  That's what is written in there. 
                He said that is why the insults and names are called, because the Bible is a 3rd party threat.
                I'm just trying to understand.  I want other peoples view.   If ya don't believe it, why care what it says?  Why is it a threat?  The subject of Hell came up because I said there will be people in heaven that we don't expect to be there, people not there that we expect to see.  It isn't ours to say.

I've seen name calling and bashing coming from both sides on here.  I'm not pointing fingers at non believers.   I do believe no one can have a good discussion that way.

Some one keeps speaking to me and I keep loseing my train of thought.
                I'm gone for now.

yea, but who cares? Im thinking your not someone who likes to see people upset, so your trying to figure out exactly what is upsetting them. I think you have your answer, though. The best thing you can do is just agree to disagree, and if people are yelling at you for the bible, well you didnt write it did you?

You may find that it is very frusterating for people to challange your faith...imagine how it is for someone to challange your choice not to have faith in the same thing as they do. I mean seriously, how many times have you rolled your eyes at brotheryochanan the "peaceful muslim."

If i were you, i would just give my reasons as best as i could, and poo poo the mean people for making you feel as though your faith is wrong. Im no christian, but faith is personal, is it not? But...its also alot bigger as the faith not only belongs to you.

its a sticky situation no doubt, and hard to walk away from a disagreement when you have a good rebuttle.

1. Pcunix profile image91
                    Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There are non-believers who will not accept a persons faith.   We have Cagsil here who insists that theists would know better if they just thought about it.

I don't buy that.  I think it comes from very deep, that theists have an emotional need to believe and you can't rationalize that away.  A theist would say that emotional need was put their by their god, of course - it's the "God shaped hole in their hearts".

Many years back, on the alt.atheism newsgroup, I coined the term "godsoaked" to refer to theists with that feeling.   Some of them actually liked the word, saying yes, they WERE "godsoaked".   I had meant it with slightly less than friendly intent, but they liked it :-)

I refuse to dislike someone over faith.   I can dislike them for actions they take because of their faith, but that is a very different subject.

I thought about his remark for a while before I posted this question.  I wanted views from non believers.   I have gained some understanding and I appreciate each and every response.
                    I agree that we can disagree.  . I have friends who don't believe.   I don't agree with all other Christians    That's ok too.  We still have respect for one another.

I hope you all have a great day!

4. William R. Wilson profile image60
      William R. Wilsonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Who told you that? 

To me, it is only a threat if someone tries to get in my business and convert me.  I've had missionaries try some pretty shady stuff to save my soul - first they tried to make friends with me, for the purpose of witnessing to me.  Sorry, but I consider that dishonest and just a little threatening. 

I also feel threatened when religious people try to legislate their beliefs. 

But mostly, believers of whatever faith are welcome to their personal delusions.  I have my own, you have yours, let's all just try to be nice to each other. 

Even when they proselytize they are mostly just annoying, not threatening.

5. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Umm - sorry - obviously you misunderstood me. I am not threatened by your beliefs. Your beliefs are - at best a joke - and at worst the cause of much ill will and fighting.

What I said was - The bible says I am going to burn in hell if I do not believe in the Invisible Super Daddy.

This is a threat. You believe in the bible, therefore you believe this threat. This is what I actually said:

So - we have a threat - from the bible. I am not threatened by this because I understand where it comes from and how mistaken this is, but there are plenty of ignorant people who are

So - you believe it, you claim to worship the Invisible Super Daddy who is going to burn me in hell. You are instructed to spread this nonsense and are going to come into conflict with people because of it.

I see you fighting with other types of Christians  as to who is the real Christian. I see you fighting with non believers to justify your right to "spread the word" - and you do have that right.

But - it causes conflict and I for one - will argue with you as to the validity of your beliefs. As will others. Not interested in your spreading the word.

Not one of you does it the way Jesus said to do it. None of you. I have never met a genuine christian.

Why? Because you need to sell everything you own - give the money to the needy (widows and orphans) and go doing good works. If all Christians were like that - we would not even be having this conversation. Quite honestly - how these teachings got twisted into this war-mongering, materialistic, nonsensical, unnatural, abortion of a belief system we have permeating our society is beyond me.big_smile

1. Rishy Rich profile image71
        Rishy Richposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I had a feeling that he was talking about you big_smile & I see my guess was right...Btw, I agree with wat u said here!

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
          Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Er, I think stilljustwondering is of the female persuasion, RR!

1. Rishy Rich profile image71
            Rishy Richposted 13 years agoin reply to this

oh...sorry! Hope she doesn't feel threatened by this.

I am so glad you came.  I wanted to reply to your remark but I didn't have a reply button.  I conceded  that what the Bible says is a threat.  I didn't write the Bible.  I don't like all that the Bible says.  It does step on my toes some times.

I will have a discussion with non believers if they wish to.  I am not going to insult them or their beliefs.  We each have a right to our own.
        Yes, I have butted heads with other Christians.  I believe our witness should be in the way we live.  Pushing our beliefs on some one will only push them away.  Some Christians believe we are to judge.  No, I don't believe that is my place to judge any one.  It isn't my place to tell some one else how to live.

As far as giving my things away and giving the money to widows and orphans.  I don't own that much, besides, I am a widow.  I do help others in ways that I can.

I was thrown by your remark.  I suppose I did misunderstand.  People here has helped me to see.  I was trying to figure out how you felt threatened by something you didn't believe in.  That didn't make sense to me. 

I do understand a non believers view.  I was once a non believer.  I can't produce a picture of God.  I just know what I feel in my heart.  I have to follow my heart as you do yours.

But as Mark said, you aren't following the instructions.   You are supposed to be like the lily and take no thought for tomorrow.  Mark is right - there are no honest Christians.

So, am I to understand that if I say I believe in God but I'm not homeless, I'm lieing?  The Bible also says that God will provide.

3. wilmiers77 profile image60
        wilmiers77posted 13 years agoin reply to this

mARKK, keep reading the scriptures or picking up on tibits of knowledge of the Word of God,
        Oh, the rich man asked to be like Jesus, the possessor of the Kingdom. That's why  "...sell all that you have and follow me...". We are inspiring Christians. That's why you haven't meet the Christian, Jesus.

4. aka-dj profile image63
        aka-djposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Mark said, and I quote;
        Why? Because you need to sell everything you own - give the money to the needy (widows and orphans) and go doing good works. If all Christians were like that - we would not even be having this conversation. Quite honestly - how these teachings got twisted into this war-mongering, materialistic, nonsensical, unnatural, abortion of a belief system we have permeating our society is beyond me.

So, we have here your understanding of what TRUE Christ-likeness should be like, AND that you have never met one genuine one who lived it.

I therefore ask you to put your money where you (big) mouth is, and SHOW us how you could do it.

THEN, and ONLY then will you have the right to criticize and judge all those who don't do it all "by the book". Lets see how you fare?

Of course, you WILL NOT do it. I know you well enough by now! lol lol lol

1. Pandoras Box profile image60
          Pandoras Boxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

But Mark doesn't believe, and besides which isn't 'endowed with the holy spook', you silly. Man apart from god can do no good. We await your example.

1. aka-dj profile image63

holy spook? Nice!!!

The challenge is for him. Let him do it.
            I don't profess to be perfect, so don't wait on me.
            Sorry! sad

1. Pandoras Box profile image60

Then you aren't much of a testimony! Paul said you'd be made like him, that you would sin no longer, that the spirit of the spook would come over you and you'd be made new, born again into the spirit, and what have things of the spirit to do with things of the flesh?

Come on, man. Pony up. If the spirit dwells within you then you ought to be giving away yer gear to feed the poor. Saying you rent is no excuse. Good God, man, all that money wasted every month on obliging your carnal self with a roof over your irrelevent fleshy head. Er..., no. Not that one. Nevermind. Surely as a good, spirit-filled man of god it went right over your upper head anyways.

I don't know. Still seems like malarkey to me. You were supposed to be born again in the spirit which would have been evidenced by outward manifestations and a putting away of the old man. For you can't put new wine in an old wineskin.

I don't think god held up his side of the bargain with you. You appear to have been cheated. He got your brain, and you got nothin' but stories. Old stories, which we've all heard before a zillion-kabillion times.

Let me know when you receive the spirit of god within you. If you give away all your possessions, I'll be really impressed.

2. Mark Knowles profile image58

Actually - I did this for years DJ. I wandered, stopped for a while, changed a lot of lives and moved on, settled down for a while and worked (much of the time for free) as a massage therapist. Then I had a change of direction, after realizing that this was an impractical way to live unless you are going to have a very short life, because it is extremely draining. I also had a change of circumstances and found an attachment.

When I have done what I need to do - I will go back to this. It was the most fulfilling time of my life - being able to do things not for money, but to help people. But - things change. I got burned out and needed some input for me. It has taken me several years to work out what that needed to be and I am currently working on it.

And as Pandoras Box points out - I am not the one claiming to be Christ-like (which is what I understand genuine christians to be). You are. wink

Thank you for speaking like a real man for a change. At least you opened up to show a bit of the real you.  (absolutely NO sarcasm)!

I hope your life brings you all the fulfillment you desire.

As for Christ-likeness, I never claimed to be THE example of one. Nor will I ever do so. I know my imperfections better than anyone ever will! I want to be a follower, and do my best. I have nothing to prove, because it's a life of grace, and not one of perfection.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58

See - that is one of the issues I have with your religion. It teaches people to be followers instead of being all they could be. Politics.  wink

You are the one not being a real man DJ. You are being a sheeple - and I have never seen you stand up as a real man - just hide behind the skirts of Jesus. It was not given to you on a plate by your imaginary friend - you have to do some work. (NO SARCASM)

You have NO IDEA of the work I have to do. Or done. How do you know I'm not all I could be? (or on my way to becoming?)
                I am not hiding. I am being real about my faith. I would have run from the likes of you if I were as you claim me to be. I don't run!
                I guarantee you I cop more flack for my faith than you do for NOT. But we're not comparing mine with yours, are we?

Sheeple? No doubt that's a derogatory term of disdain, am I right?

We could go on all night, but no thanks. I have to go to a "sheeple" meeting, and learn to bleat better. (sarcasm IS intended) sad

2. profile image57
                exorterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

we take the word of god out into the world and lead others to Christ.
                that is being a LEADER!!

2. Pandoras Box profile image60

Fine. Hide your lamp under a bushel.

6. Teresa McGurk profile image59
      Teresa McGurkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

ROFL

7. Beelzedad profile image60
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Maybe the question you need to ask yourself is why would you follow the teachings of anyone or any ideology in which those types of threats existed within the teachings?

The teacher states he loves you if you obey and worship him, but if you don't you will burn for an eternity. How could anyone love and worship a teacher who would utter such threats?

Experiences that I have had in my life is why I believe in God.    Aren't we all, who we are, because of our life's experiences?

1. Beelzedad profile image60

Whatever perceptions and experiences we have in life do not rule over reality, and that is what makes us who we are. If a god revealed himself to you and everyone else, then that would be a reality. smile

He hasn't revealed his self physically.  God is spirit.  My spiritual experiences is a reality for me.  I understand that if you can't see, you can't believe.  I can't see with my eyes, but I have felt.  I'm not going into the things, the experiences that I have had that confirmed my belief.  Not on this thread.  That's not what it's about.  I'm not trying to convert any one.  I specifically asked this question to non believers to get a non believers perspective.
            Every one has been very helpful.  Thank you..

I'm not sure how you can distinguish a god from yourself based on the fact that you said your god has not revealed himself physically. How would you know god is a spirit if you haven't seen this spirit?

Feelings are inside everyone, they are part of our physical makeup. We all have them. To state the you are able to distinguish one feeling from another as the difference between you and a god makes no sense.

Fair enough. You're essentially showing me an apple and I'm saying it is indeed an apple, yet you "feel" it is a banana. wink

8. wilmiers77 profile image60

AMEN! AMEN!

9. puebloman profile image60
      pueblomanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well I don't believe that the bible is the word of god. It was clearly cobbled together by priests for political reasons. Jesus is very clear about priests. Of course Jesus didn't write down a single word of his teaching, it's all reported by unreliable witnesses.

Obviously Jesus wasn't a Christian.

Non of this upsets me. I am searching for things I can believe in and I have my own beliefs. I like many of the things Jesus is reported to have said.

I happen to find your beliefs childish and unworthy of a normally educated person. I don't mean this offensively, its just a fact.

10. thisisoli profile image74
      thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

For instance the belief of Christian members of the education board in Texas has now removed Thomas Jefferson from the history books.

This is not only blatent disregard for historical accuracy, but it is costing the taxpayers of Texas millions. It will cost millions more when these people are voted out (Two have already gone) and Jefferson is returned to the history books.

The bad news is that there will still be thousands of text books out there which incorrectly report the very foundation of American history as a nation which seperates religion from politics.

This is just one mild example of many on how religion can cause problems.

Also, consider if you were a parent of a child going to a Catholic school, and then you found out about mass child molestation in the school they were at. I would definitely feel threatened by the churches protecton of those that have abused their power.

Non believers give nothing but debate to religions. We don't try to ban them, we merely try to disprove them to people who argue the existence.

1. Jerami profile image59
        Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Imagine if ya can ...that if the kind of behaveior that you described above ; changing history (for personal reasons) had happened to scriptures upon Religions conseption in 326 ??? 
                   ??????
             To think that truth lies someplace between the understandig of Theists and Atheists, Would NOT be denying the Father, Son and Holy Ghost.

My faith is in God .. not in religion.
           Religion isn't made by mankind; Religion is just another name for one group of "MANKIND".

Jesus didn't die on the Cross for religion.
          And he doesn't want anyone else to die in the name of religion either.

Did he teach that we should fight his battles or did he teach us to turn the other cheek and let HIM fight ours???

1. Mark Knowles profile image58

Jerami - the father son and holy ghost is a metaphor. They do not actually exist. Jesus did not exist, did not die on the cross for anyone, and people are always (apparently) stupid enough to die for god - it is religion that persuades them to do so.

Not seeing you turn the other cheek - so - what is it? Too hard and an unreasonable command - or you just do not follow your own version of the bible? Either way - pretty much proves it is nonsense.

2. pylos26 profile image70
        pylos26posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hello Oli...hope you're doing well.

1. thisisoli profile image74

I am very well thanks!

11. Stump Parrish profile image60
      Stump Parrishposted 13 years agoin reply to this

One possible way your belief in God and the Bible could be seen as a threat is if, Christians attempted to pass laws based solely on the Bible. Each person who reads the Bible seems to get something different from what they read. Many people claim to read a passage again and get a different meaning from that reading. Perhaps the person claiming your beliefs are a threat to him or her simply don't think the Bible is a very considtant basis for rules of law. Each person reading the law could feasibly have a different understanding of what they law forbids. Add to this the fact that alot of Christians pick and choose which parts of the bible they are going to obey and you have a system designed to destroy itself. You would have one group of people deciding the laws for everyone and yet they would only be required to obey the ones they agreed with. Sort of sounds like the situation we have in Washington doesn't it?

12. Merlin Fraser profile image59
      Merlin Fraserposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Stilljustwonderin

Don’t get paranoid about it, we don’t think that YOU are a threat personally it’s the organisation you belong to that scares the shit out of us. 

Let me ask you a question:    The President of the Unite States of America says he believes in God and swears an oath of office on a copy of the Bible.   On the other side of the World most of those trying their best to remove us from existence believe in the same God.    So I ask you whose finger is on what trigger and why should I not be afraid ?

On one side I have a bunch of fanatics who want to kill me as a non believer and on the other side a bunch of God fearing lunatics who will probably get me killed defending my rights not to believe.

Thank you.  No, I'm not paranoid.
        That is a real threat that I don't believe our faith, or lack of, is creating.  These people on the other side of the world does hate us and wants us dead.  I have heard so many reasons as to why they hate us.  From politics, our freedoms,our religions, our wealth.  Bin laden said he would destroy our economy long before our economy tanked. 
        These people truely hate, us and each other.  I'm not going to tell you I have faith in our government, I don't.  I also don't think we can just sit here and let them keep killing us.  I hate war, I hate for people to be killed.  As long as there is hate for one another in this world, it will continue.  I have been referred to as the "silly Christian" who believes we should just love and respect one another.
        My faith tells me to always be ready to meet my maker.  If you don't believe that I respect your right to do so.  But, then I have no answers for you.  I'm sorry.  I do wish I could help ease your mind.  Sorry.

2. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

It's only a threat to highly susceptible non believers.

Anyway I thought it would be the other way around - more likely for a believer to get sucked into "the things of the world" and leave the church.

I don't find believers threatening. I just find them a rather funny little pet amusement on a boring Saturday morning - nothing like JW and mormons at my door for some fun!

In a peckish mood some years back, I opened my door to find two JW's. Before they could say a word  I said,  "You are so early! The orgy doesn't usually start until eight, but come in, come in!"

They did not :-)

Are you serious?  I bet they did leave in a hurry!  Do you mind if I tell that?

How could I stop you?

Well if you asked me not to, I wouldn't.  But, since you did post it, odviously it isn't a secret.  big_smile

2. jasoncox83 profile image59
        jasoncox83posted 13 years agoin reply to this

PC, interesting method to get them to not bug us all the time. I just set a circle up in my living room (being Wiccan)...They never came back wink

I don't understand how my belief makes a non believer feel threatened either.  If ya don't believe, then, you just don't believe.
      We're funny?  LOL   I understand that too.  There was a time I didn't believe either.  As a matter of fact the very first Holiness Revival I went to, I left, they scared me.
      big_smile

1. lucieanne profile image67
        lucieanneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Who told you that your belief in God and the bible was a threat to non-believers? I don't think you're a threat, I just don't like being told that I'm gonna 'burn in the fires of hell' for not believing. And in any case, just because I'm not a practicing Christian, doesn't mean that I don't have a belief of my own, I just don't go around ramming it down the throats of anyone who'll listen, and just because I don't conform to regular 'Christian' beliefs doesn't mean that mine are any less valid than yours.

I do not care about the burn in hell stuff.  I care when people infuse their fundie beliefs into politics that affects other people - like anti- gay legislation, for a recent example.

Of course with my belief of the Bible I do believe it is wrong.  How ever, It is none of my business what others do.  Yeah, I have had other Christians on my case too.  lol

And no one has the right to judge you.  We each have the right to believe as we wish.  I was told that because I believe the name calling and insults is uncalled for.  It happens on both sides of the fence.

ok heres the thing, you all should know by now my position on christianity....but id much rather have my son listening to a christian than have him sacraficing squirrels in the back yard...what is so threatening about your belief?  Im kind of inclined to think your making up the fact that someone said they are threatened by your faith. It makes no sense, and sounds like a bad way to word a good post topic to me. No offense, but im sure you understand how utterly rediculous that sounds. Kind of like saying "im terrified of monks"

That's why I did post this, because it makes no sense to me either.
              If you don't believe in something, how can it be a threat?  It all started with my saying name calling, insults are offensive which puts people on the defense.  Once some one is on the defense ya can't have a good discussion.

yea, which i readily learned when i got bumped. I let someone get me so upset, that i called them an idiot. It wasnt right, and im ashamed to have behaved that way IN THE FORUMS... But i think its stupid to let a belief you dont even have threaten you. Whoever said that must be very impressionable. I myself get angered when challenged, but not threatened...

3. Kimberly Bunch profile image60
          Kimberly Bunchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You go girl! Tell it like it is!

big_smile

3. wilmiers77 profile image60

WhryLilt, keep it up. The switch will turn on and WOOW! The big picture was there all the time.

3. Randy Godwin profile image61
    Randy Godwinposted 13 years ago

Some christians are a threat to science and knowledge.  They managed to retard scientific discovery for years because their beliefs didn't jibe with those of learned men.  It is still so today in some cases.

Creationism is just one example of this still being true today.  The Inquisition, the Salem Witch Trials, the Jonestown Massacre, all are examples of zealous believers being threats to those who do not agree with the religious adherents.

So yes, believers are a threat to those who have a firm grasp on reality.

ok, i can see that in a way...but as an avid defender for the non believer, in day to day life, i cant say that if ever felt "threatened" by a christian. Maybe my personal beliefs are too strong. I guess youd have to be highly impressionable to fear their belief system.

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
        Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So, you do not let it bother you if they have a strong role in deciding whether your morals are right or wrong, or in choosing political leaders who make decisions based on their religious beliefs? 

Polygamy, abortion, evolution, science, history, geology, entertainment, education, all of these things and more have been affected by the belief in an imaginary being.  And still are for that matter.

Thankfully, the believers do not have the same power to control  other people's lives as much as they used to.

Yea, i was thinking of this on a much smaller scale, like in conversation between a believer, and a non believer. But your right...i think its apauling how we can proclaim a seperation of church and state, and then let church affect things it shouldnt.

Of course it bothers me that a religeous political can turn the key, making moral decisions for me. But remember, im 27, and havnt dealt with a whole lot of that as of yet. Hasnt effected my little bubble, and as assanine as that sounds, im just being honest, so thats why i was thinking on more of a daily conversation level. Please excuse my inexperience... smile

2. wilmiers77 profile image60

Godwin, reality is constantly fleeing. Einstein acknowledged the problem of learning reality; he spent his life seeking to know it.
      Scriptures are liken to road signs, pointing the way to truth. God gives us partial credit, and rewards us each time we move closer to His Truth. God is a purpose unto Himself.

3. Rod Marsden profile image67
      Rod Marsdenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well wilmiers77, as long as you agree that we need to look after the environment rather than just exploit it, as long as you agree that the moon, as set forth by medieval Catholicism as to what is perfect and what is not, is in fact not perfect, and that the earth can no longer be considered the center of the universe I suppose you are fundamentally all right. If you are for overpopulating this poor planet because you are too stupid to see the dangers then all I can say is: Get thee behind me satan or god or the little blue fairy or whatever.

The thing I don't like about religion is that is is an excuse for people to put blinkers on and not to take the sort of responsibility for what they do they need to take.

Tonight there was a debate on television in Australia on the woes of further immigration when the rest of the world doesn't seem to give a hoot about what they are  doing to our beautiful blue world. I agree with Dick Smith in that there needs to be more responsibility by all and no hiding behind religion, any religion and no hiding behind the aging population argument if you care about the welfare of your children and their children.

4. getitrite profile image71
    getitriteposted 13 years ago

Religious beliefs are illogical and childish.  I'm shocked that an adult could be persuaded to believe in such fairytales.  It becomes a threat when you get enough delusional people in power, thereby affecting the lives of everyone in that society.

harsh, but true.

getitrite, don't stop there, keep coming. After many tribulations, the light shall shine on you soon if you do.

1. Rod Marsden profile image67

Not much light I am afraid if something isn't done about global warming. The question is will you use the good book excuse to sit on your hands or will you pitch in and do your bit? It is quite a challenge.

5. I am DB Cooper profile image62
    I am DB Cooperposted 13 years ago

I do not consider an individual's beliefs to be a threat to me, but I do consider organized religion with political aspirations to be a threat to all of humanity. Many wars have been fought over religious differences, and governments continue to make policies that are influenced by religious leaders.

6. Flightkeeper profile image65
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

lol Ok, nothing's funnier than having a bunch of non-christians or anti-christians interpret the Bible. lol

Sure there is: listening to Christians twist it around to meet their needs is much, much funnier.

1. Flightkeeper profile image65
        Flightkeeperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Which is why it's funnier when non-Christians and anti-Christians interpret The Bible. lol

If Christians are having a hard time, it's a riot when non-Christians and anti-Christians try to make sense of something they don't believe!!!

lol lol

2. the pink umbrella profile image74

no, actually its funnier to watch someone be blinded by faith, and refuse to open their eyes to read whats right in front of them, because they fear it will be dissapointing if they actually think about it. pffff.

AMEN! AMEN! AMEN!

you know what stiljustwonderin...walk away from this post, your being attacked at all angles. Its your faith, hold onto it no matter what any of us non believers say. You cant prove there is a god, and we cant prove there isnt, but all of us attacking each other isnt going to get to the bottom of anything. Lets just go on woth our opinions. Arguing about his will get us nowhere, myself included.

Yeah I seen that.  I especially thought it was funny that I am suppose to sell everything.  I'm suppose to be homeless?  lol  Sad thing is, I rent, if I sell my home I'll go to jail!  Well, at least I will have a roof over my head.  big_smile

Yeah, they can argue amongst their selves if they want to.  I will believe what I believe, you believe what you believe.  We can agree that we don't have to agree, and that's ok, we each have that right.

I'm going to do what you said.  Poo Poo

2. Diane Inside profile image72
          Diane Insideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

well pink, I do agree with you there I think it's the most intelligent thing said on this post so far.

2. puebloman profile image60
        pueblomanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This idea that people who don't believe in god or religion are "unbelievers" really gets up my nose. I believe in all sorts of things

well, i think thats you know, kind of a mincing of words there. Its like saying someones a non smoker. Who was it that said that and i thought it was so funny? that people who dont smoke shouldnt be called anything at all, because smokers already have a name, so whats the point in labeling the non smoker? Maybe it soesnt relate, just came to my mind. I dont mind be called a non believer, because i know what its in refrence to, but i do see how it could annoy some. Its just a shorter version of saying "people who dont believe in christianity" non christian might be better suited, but then you have those who dont believe in god alltogether. Hey, maybe we can come up with a word for those people, but i think atheist is the word right? But, athiest sounds so evil. Maybe its just trying to describe those who dont believe in that faith without making them sound like some sort of satanist.

7. SilentReed profile image81
    SilentReedposted 13 years ago

To christians and believers - Just turn the other cheek. ; ) To non-believers - may your souls burn in the fires of  the believer's HELL.!  :-))

lol lol

8. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

I don't believe in unicorns, that doesn't make me a unbeliever, it just makes me sane.
    You do not need a title for not believing in fairy stories. smile

1. thisisoli profile image74

agreed.

1. earnestshub profile image79
        earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Oli! How is it going over there in Austin? smile

9. darkinside profile image55
    darkinsideposted 13 years ago

in india i think more than 10 major religions there and a hundred of sub divisions..and there may be the cases as her friend told......there are many cases non-believers becoming a threat to believers and vice -vera also eventhough its in a small amount...problem is not with believing or not believing..but with each one's vision.. there are good peoples in my place belonging to all major religions and at the same time good atheists also near my home :-)
          belief is needed because it gives a direction,hope to your ,every one's life ..becomes a support at life's major problem..but some one claims these all possible for him/her with their belief iam totlly agreeing......all religions say the same thing...love and mercy.....and all are the means/paths to it....remember that..all other things comes from human nature...and one should be capable of knowing it

Beliefs only mask underlying problems and issues, they do nothing to solve them, hence they are not needed when it comes to finding direction in the real world. Only a firm grasp of reality will support the problems of reality. smile

1. Jerami profile image59
        Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Isn't what you just said a belief.

If this belief that you have just expressed true ??  Should you not eleviate yourself from it? Cause your beliefs are only masking your underlieing problems??

No Jerami, it is not a belief, it is reality.

You will find that no matter how much believers here will promote the power of their gods, they still go to doctors to heal their ailments. wink

10. darkinside profile image55
    darkinsideposted 13 years ago

believer and non-believer division comes from the point of view of
    believers....actually a non-believer is treated as a person not believing in god...but that may not be so.....believer believes in GOD similarly a non-believer(whom we call so here)believes in Human,who is known as an atheist......i think the question is a foolish one basically...if he one is an atheist then nothing will become a thret to him....but remember  Except Actions that hurt some

11. Pandoras Box profile image60
    Pandoras Boxposted 13 years ago

I would say that I -as a nonbeliever in your religion- do not feel threatened by you or your belief system. I do not believe in your religion, so of course I do not feel threatened by it.

But there is legitimate cause for concern when certain members of our free society are castigated, oppressed and terrorized for their lack of conformity to your religion. There is cause for concern when the religious among us think being naive as a child is a good thing, and so they embrace the ancient wisdom of 2 to 4 thousand years ago. There is cause for concern when some of our leaders are making important decisions which affect the entire planet based on their outdated, naive and child-like beliefs. There is cause for concern when our leaders are merely duping the easily duped into thinking that they're making important decisions which affect the entire planet based on their outdated, naive and child-like beliefs, which in actuality these leaders don't even hold. But these leaders have learned an important historical lesson. The easily duped are... easily duped. smile

I don't feel threatened by religion or religious individuals. I feel cause for concern over the mass stupidity is all. Ooops. Did I insult you? Did I name-call?

Your religion -and your willing belief in it- does that to me and my children all the time. I don't take offense. I just take note. 

Ultimately I am not concerned. I believe in the human spirit. Hatred, fear, ignorance, and superstition belong to yesterday, not tomorrow.

We're not threatened by you, because you, your religion and your god have no power, as long as we keep you in check. And we will. smile

12. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

A very sensible post Pandoras Box. I believe you have expressed what many non believers think. smile

13. Rod Marsden profile image67
    Rod Marsdenposted 13 years ago

Right on Pandora!

14. Shil1978 profile image85
    Shil1978posted 13 years ago

If you've been told that, then I would question the person who told you that. Your belief in the Bible and God won't be a threat to anyone.

Personally, I am just for all ways of worship. I don't subscribe to the view that there is just ONE path to God. One should not look down upon the ways of worship of others!! One should not look to actively seek to convert others to your own ways, believing that worshiping nature or inanimate things is idiocy!!

I am just not for this arrogant way of belief.

Worshiping inanimate objects or things is idolatry, Shil1978. I don't know if it is idiocy but it sure sounds like it to me. Symbolism is another consideration and isn't all that idiotic.

As for nature worship, the world probably wouldn't be in the mess it is in right now if there was more nature worship. As things stand, many Christians nowadays see nature as part of God's overall plan and the idea of ruining the garden God gave you to prove that you are God fearing is no longer seen as either sensible or correct behavior. Other monotheistic religions have yet to make the transition but need to do so if humanity is to have any kind of future. Hell, there are still parts of Christianity that need to make the transition to caring about our world as well as the afterlife if humanity is to continue.

I only look down on the religious beliefs that promote destruction of our environment, greed and the desire to overpopulate to the point of extinction. Repeat after me: We are people not rabbits. We are people not rabbits. Have a nice day.

15. pisean282311 profile image64
    pisean282311posted 13 years ago

interesting question..well it cannot be threat..what you belief is your personal look out and it can't be threat to me as long as you keep it personal..i dont believe in bible , neither do intend to..now what i believe in neither threat to you nor your belief in bible is threat to me...

I am more into helping the environment than bible bashing but if by bible bashing someone somewhere can do some good for our ailing planet then fair enough.

1. pisean282311 profile image64
        pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

didnt get u..when did i bash bible?..i said i dont believe in bible..those who believe are free to believe as long as they dont impose it on others including me...

You didn't.
          I am just saying the bible bashers are fine with me just so long as they care about the environment and are not using the bible or any other good book as an excuse to do more harm to our planet.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)