should police be involved in high speed chases

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (26 posts)
  1. bonny2010 profile image60
    bonny2010posted 14 years ago

Recently four people and one three month old baby were killed during a high speed police chase. Can high speed police chases be replaced by technology to trace the offenders and thereby avoid the deaths of innocent pedestrians and motorists..

1. Jim Hunter profile image61
      Jim Hunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The moment a chase becomes dangerous it should be stopped.

1. lrohner profile image69
        lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

They should be allowed to pursue a high speed chase in cases where what the chasees might do if left uncaught is worse than the potential damage than the chase itself.

1. Misha profile image62
          Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Lisa, do you seriously expect a young guy in a uniform to make a sound decision about the risks involved, while in the middle of a high speed chase, eager and anxious? smile

Let's put it this way.... I don't expect the police to not chase a criminal who has a kidnapped person in the car. It may be dangerous, but I would imagine it would be more dangerous for the guy to get away with the kidnapee.

1. Misha profile image62

So it's ok when a few innocent people get killed and injured in the process (quite possibly including a kidnapped one), and some serious property damage is inflicted, as long as they catch the criminal, right? So the justice can prevail no matter cost?

I could care less about personal property. It can be replaced. And no, I don't want or expect innocents to be hurt or killed. But I do think that is the exception and not the rule.

2. ledefensetech profile image68
                ledefensetechposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It would be nice, Misha, if people made all the right decisions and we all treated one another according to the golden rule.  Things in the real world don't work that way, though.  No matter how good of a job you do in a high speed situation, you never know when your luck is going to run out.  When you also consider the fact that, most times, you don't know why someone is running...well how can you expect a person to make the right call when they almost never have all the information they need?

1. Misha profile image62

Yes, and this is exactly why I think high speed chases bring more harm than benefit overall. smile

2. TNN UnderTheSun profile image60
    TNN UnderTheSunposted 13 years ago

Maybe at some point.  Right now, it still takes boots on the ground.  And when it is a satillite, who knows, maybe it'll zap the wrong car or something.  Nothing will ever be perfect.  When people act dangerously, they endanger others.  I don't think a different technique will ever change that.  Especially if it's someone crazy just out to cause mayhem (rare, but it's happened).

3. ledefensetech profile image68
    ledefensetechposted 13 years ago

Six of one, half dozen of the other.  A cop involved in a high speed chase doesn't know why a person ran, the only thing they can know is that they did run.  I had a friend who used to be a cop who was injured in a high speed chase while chasing someone who kidnapped a teen right off the street and was planning to rape and kill her.  When the chase became dangerous, should the cops have called it off?

The fault here doesn't lie with the police who are doing their sworn duty.  The fault lies with the scum who run from the cops and put us all in danger.  There are some attempts to use air assets like helicopters to keep track of fleeing suspects.  Hmmm.  Perhaps General Atomics can whip something up similar to the Predator that law enforcement can use.  If they can drop the cost low enough for even small departments to use them, it might become a viable alternative to high speed chases.

"I had a friend who used to be a cop who was injured in a high speed chase while chasing someone who kidnapped a teen right off the street and was planning to rape and kill her.  When the chase became dangerous, should the cops have called it off?"

Yes, absolutely should have called it off. How many more people need to die?

That might seem cold to you but how did your friend know what the bad guy planned to do?

Even if her being murdered was the end result he couldn't have known it would end that way.

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

roll

Brilliant reply.

1. Cagsil profile image70
            Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is actually, because it recognized that you're not thinking of other people's protection, regardless of what your words say. So, enjoy.

No it didn't, it didn't recognize anything. It was a face rolling its eyes.

2. ledefensetech profile image68
        ledefensetechposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You have to assess the risks involved.  This guy wasn't just some punk vandal or even someone carrying paraphernalia, this guy proved he was willing and able to snatch someone from the street, rape and murder them.  Given the level of threat this guy posed to the population, I have to disagree with you, the cops were justified in chasing him down.

4. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

Nah, high speed chase is akin to using a machine gun in a crowded mall. Unprofessional, to say the least.

5. Doug Hughes profile image60
    Doug Hughesposted 13 years ago

Wow! I find myself in agreement with both Jim and Misha in the same post - nearly.

When the chase becomes dangerous, the cops should break it off UNLESS they know that the risk of letting the suspect go is greater then the risk to the public who gets in the way of the chase.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65
      Ralph Deedsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Me, too. Too many police and civilians die as a result of high speed chases.

6. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

...no...even when they are just at the beginning of a pursuit, accelerating with sirens on...not everyone can hear or notice at first...and some don't get out of the way fast enough...i kind of cringe when i see them moving fast at intersections....wouldn't take much to hurt someone....and then of course those trying to get away are moving fast and don't want to get caught...big risk takers.

I don't think it is worth the risk...anytime.  My 'pop' was a cop...and was hurt in a chase....flipped his vehicle and all that....chasing an escaped convict.

7. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

High speed chases are dangerous and irresponsible. I would rather the criminals escape slower, which they will if they are not being pursued at high speed. smile

8. profile image61
    logic,commonsenseposted 13 years ago

Well I'm not sure but if the police weren't involved, high speeds probably wouldn't be attained.  I think all miscreants should have governers on their cars to limit their speed.

9. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

I would take a more Monty Pytonish approach and make a law that says all those avoiding the police must ride bicycles.
    I feel sure they would comply! smile

10. profile image0
    Lecieposted 13 years ago

they should just shoot a tracking device onto the car and as back up have a helicopter follow the car too. i don't think they should chase at all. i heard once that some police departments have something they can shoot at the front of the car to zap the engine into shutting down. to me those methods would be better than doing 100 or more and risking a lot of innocent lives, but the cops are just to hot for those high speeds, sometimes they're as bad as the criminals.

11. indefatigable,pen profile image61
    indefatigable,penposted 13 years ago

We have specialized air units in most departments and there should be a new procedure written. Response by air as needed "case by case" seems reasonable to me?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)