Spun?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (20 posts)
  1. PaulaHenry1 profile image64
    PaulaHenry1posted 13 years ago

I've seen this expression quite often, what is a "spun Hub?"

2. I am DB Cooper profile image64
    I am DB Cooperposted 13 years ago

Spinning is a term typically used when an article or hub is rewritten and posted somewhere else. Essentially, it's copying the content but rewriting it in a way that will prevent a duplicate content penalty from Google and other search engines.

3. prettydarkhorse profile image61
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

oh is this like rewording it? and then all the contents are the same with different words?

4. PaulaHenry1 profile image64
    PaulaHenry1posted 13 years ago

Thanks for clearing that up. Why would people do that? To link one to the other? Just curious. Seems like a waste of time to me...

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Paula, there are lots of article writing sites like HubPages (although in my experience Hubpages pays the best smile).  So some people will use the same article, reworded, on several different sites.

However the main reason for using spun articles is "article marketing".  That's where you have a website or blog you want to promote.  You write an article with links to your website, then "spin" it - i.e. reword it multiple different ways, so you have lots of articles which are the same but different - and get them posted on article writing sites, on other people's blogs as a guest blogger etc.

5. thisisoli profile image69
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

The main difference between rewriting an article and spinning an article is that a spun article is usually rewritten by software, which often makes it near enough unreadable.

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Some people put it through a translator - turn it into another language then turn it back into English and the wording changes.

And yes, it often is unreadable! If I ever see one on hubpages that is obviously spun I just flag it.

2. livewithrichard profile image72
      livewithrichardposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't personally spin my articles but there is a use for them. The most basic use is to earn a backlink through the author's resource box. 

I own 411article.com which has nearly 100,000 articles published and nearly every single one of them is either spun or duplicate. I allow it because the stated purpose of the directory is to gain backlinks for your online content.

Important thing to know if your going to spin articles is to not publish them on Hubpages. Publish your original here and the spun version on the thousands of article directories out there to get a backlink pointing back to your hub.  This will raise your hub in the SERPs.

1. Peter Hoggan profile image67
        Peter Hogganposted 13 years agoin reply to this

100,000 articles published but only 2,300 pages indexed. That’s about 97,700 pages being ignored! 97,700 pages that don’t give links! IMO You would do better if you were to forget about spun content and concentrate on quality.

1. livewithrichard profile image72
          livewithrichardposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yea, I don't think so.  Not every page may be indexed but every link is dofollow. Every single category is indexed so the dofollow links will pass through them. So, the 97,000 pages are not being ignored, they are serving their purpose, a needed backlink.  Just like with Angela's link packages, the page that has the backlink may not get indexed but as long as the page remains dofollow your backlink will get credit. 

My only concern is getting more inbound links which I have slacked on in the last 6 months.  I've started to submit the category RSS to feed submission sites.  Hey, I'm a one man show with a lot on his plate.

I know it could be doing better but 5000 unique monthly visits is acceptable to me.  I didn't start the site to be a money maker, I started it to build backlinks. However, the site has earned enough to pay for itself and eventually it will pay me back for the time I've invested in it.

3. Teresa McGurk profile image61
      Teresa McGurkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've seen a lot of ads for people wanted to spin articles (on Elance, a clearing house for freelancers). The pay is atrocious, something like $50 (the lowest bid Elance will allow) per 200 articles.

Makes me wonder who in the hell could ever do it, without software--so thanks for the info, I didn't realize it actually existed.

(I've also seen ads from people who want someone to write their college admissions essays for them, their MA or PhD dissertations, job applications. . . .not spinning. Just plain wrong!)

1. thisisoli profile image69
        thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes I think it is okay for people to hire a writer for job applications, I have had a few jobs sprucing up job applications, most of which were from people who were technically qualified, but had trouble putting words together creatively.

6. Aiden Roberts profile image68
    Aiden Robertsposted 13 years ago

I investigated article spinning software when I first started writing on the internet, I very quickly came to the conclusion that software cannot write like a human.

If the only purpose of using it is for backlinks then maybe it has a very small place in your toolbox, for me I decided I wanted to learn to be a good article writer and the only way too achieve that was to do it myself.

7. Peter Hoggan profile image67
    Peter Hogganposted 13 years ago

Think what you like and ignore the facts if you wish. A page has to be indexed before any benefit can be gained from a dofollow link. That means the articles themselves would have to be indexed not just the categories they fall under.

How does Google know where a link points to from a page that’s not indexed? If you can point me to any reliable source that states pages that are not indexed pass link juice I would be interested in reading it.

1. thisisoli profile image69
      thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Peter is right, a site which is not indexed will not provide a backlink.

Furthermore I would be seriously worried if Google was indexing such a low percentage of my articles.

8. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

my tools show 49

as for examples of spun content on hubpages: here is 1000 of them

"Just as athletes use steroids to have the winning competitive edge to win a sport competition, men for the most part use the fanged tongue of diction to lie in order to get the competitive edge and to win an argument for an example."

http://hubpages.com/hub/MenLieMore (this profile is primarily spun content)

1. Sufidreamer profile image79
      Sufidreamerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That link should come with a warning - reading content that bad actually hurts.

That particular Hubber is Ryan Kett's nemesis...its sole reason for existence is to annoy him smile

1. profile image0
        EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You're not wrong.

"There are three ways to impress a husband. One way is to please him in what is most important to him which most likely involved being intimate and never using the headache excuse routine or going to bed in anger."

WTF??????

1. Sufidreamer profile image79
          Sufidreamerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What's wrong with that? Perfectly good English if you ask me, with a delightful, poetic cadence.

I think that you need to learn how to read better if you can't understand that pure, golden drop of thrice-distilled wisdom. big_smile

2. Peter Hoggan profile image67
      Peter Hogganposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ah yes, reads like it's been translated from Klingon by way Manderin. I have noticed lately that more and more spun content is being detected and dropped from Google's index. The one you mention for example.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)