Ayn Rand is rampant all over Hubpage posts!

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (24 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 15 years ago

Who just hates her and why--and who just loves her and why?  And I want to hear from those who have never heard of her, too!

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
      Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Never heard of her. smile

2. Ralph Deeds profile image66
      Ralph Deedsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Rand's novels are schlock and her neo-social Darwinist libertarian "philosophy" is worse!

Her fiction is not included in any respectable college literature syllabus nor her so-called philosophy assigned in college philosophy classes. Possible exception: University of Chicago .

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 15 years ago

Used to be she was big in the fifties. Used to know people who jumped from one latest best seller to another and accordant philosophy. Reagan loved her and we got Voo Due economics and the S&L debacle. Her latest reincarnation can be partly attributed to the
    current economic bust-out.

3. kerryg profile image83
    kerrygposted 15 years ago

I've never read her, though I keep intending to try. She doesn't really sound like my cup of tea, but then, I wouldn't have said Machiavelli did either and he was actually kind of hilarious, so I should get around to reading her.

Unfortunately, she may be permanently associated in my head with this article, which made me go yikes and then lol and which I go back and reread sometimes when I need to laugh at stupid people who think they're smart.

My favorite is this probably this one, but there are a number of gems:

1. profile image0
      Zarm Nefilinposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Here is the one I found the funniest from that link you shared:

"lostpainting, Hagerstown, Maryland
      Please note: If you’re overweight, I won’t date you. If you believe in God, I won’t date you. If you vote for Democrats, I won’t date you. "

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I won't date you even if you vote for Republicans Zarm wink

4. profile image0

knol--I always wanted sort of a history of her books here in the U.S.  That explains a few things, briefly.

Kerry--um, the 'meatbot.'  Now that is high-concept prose for you.  Meat Market & Free Market.  Hmm, they do seem to popularly go together.

5. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 15 years ago

Machiavelli's "The Prince" can be read in an hour or so. Ayn Rand's books could be used as furniture.

Actually using them as furniture would at least render them USEFUL in some way, which would be a good thing. If you attempt to actually read them you will not survive. Seriously.

1. profile image0
      Leta Sposted 15 years agoin reply to this

smile LOL, Pam--  But then you know what I actually think on this subject.

Wanna hear WHY (?) people like her and, lol, good arguments why....

2. Eric Graudins profile image60
      Eric Graudinsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

OK Pam, so I'm not going to survive.
      In the long run, none of us do anyway - whether we've read Ayn Rand or not :-)

If you make the effort to read Ayn Rand's book "Atlas Shrugged", you'll see many parallels with what's happening in America (and other places) right now.

Sure, I don't agree with all of what she says. But that's no reason to dismiss her writings totally.
      Just like it would be stupid for me to rubbish the great hubs of Pam's because she doersn'tr like Ayn Rand. cool

Eric G.

1. profile image0
        pgrundyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Well, as the saying goes, "If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."

I do feel that the cult of individualism has been perverted and turned against the individual in the U.S., and I can understand how many see those themes in Rand's books.

I can say this much about it that's positive: If she got her books published, the rest of us should be able to do the same thing if we set our minds to it.

To me, Libertarianism seems unrealistic and shallow. I know some great hubbers here who are Lbertarians. I like and respect them--and you too Eric-- but the politics? Not so much. smile

3. kerryg profile image83
      kerrygposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I was a Russian major, so length isn't the issue so much as the feeling that her philosophy of life is going to make me want to stab things. wink

6. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

I guess I am with Mark on this. I first heard this name on Pam's comments here, and it keeps surfacing on HP - but based on what I hear here I do not have any desire to buy and read her smile

1. Ralph Deeds profile image66

Ayn Rand was a quite popular novelist in the 1940s and 50s as I recall. I read her first hit novel "The Fountainhead" (1943) when I was in high school. It was a quite readable book about an idealistic architect whose master work building was modified by the government. In the end he blew the building up rather than have his work compromised.

"Atlas Shrugged" (1957) came later and expressed the same unrealistic (in a modern industrial society) extreme libertarian theme. My English teachers considered her novels schlock because the characters were cardboard or stick figures mouthing Rand's so-called philosophy. No professor of literature or reputable critic took her seriously. Nevertheless, her novels sold quite well and influenced many people to have a negative attitude toward government. A young Alan Greenspan worshipped at Ayn Rand's feet and bought her so called "philosophy" which she called objectivism.

Movies were made from "The Fountainhead" and "Atlas Shrugged."

I suspect Misha would enjoy her novels. Like Misha, Rand was born in Russia and immigrated to the U.S.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayn_Rand

7. profile image0
    Zarm Nefilinposted 15 years ago

From what I have heard of Ayn Rand she kind of sounds like a cult leader of sorts.  Just goes to show that you don't have to be religious to be authoritarian.  I have good reason to believe she was at least authoritarian in her ways of thinking.

8. profile image0

Machiavelli seemed excessive, but I have unfortunately found he has use on occasion, only when needed, sad.  It's been a while since I read Rand, but I seem to recall silly allegories, and I absolutely want to stab things, yes.

This nice woman became my fan--and there it was on my hub--another Ayn Rand reference.  ??smile   It's just kinda odd how it does pop up all over.  That's why I'm asking.

We sure don't want to 'rubbish,' Pam, lol.  But has anybody got a kinda literary criticism answer as to why they like Rand?

Maybe it's because you look a bit like Ayn Rand, or your avatar does, at least. ??? (Much better looking, actually!

9. profile image0

OH! No!  Say it isn't so, Ralph, OMG.

That's what I get for saying you look like Ron Ikan (just a nice, ordinary writer guy I know) on another post, lol!  And anyway, this is a running hub joke--Rand references are all over Pam's hub comments, too.

10. profile image0

So what do you do/did you do (if you are retired) for a living, Ralph?  Professor?  Writer?

Yes--  That is what I heard about Rand and know as well....I remember one quote from a New York Times reviewer was that her books were all about "to the gas chambers, go."

Not sure Misha would like her novels, lol, for we Are Not To Label Misha A Conservative.  Or anything....  I guess.  smile

Course, he might like Nabokov?  I actually love Nabokov--his writing is like watching strong arabesques of words.

I'm long retired from 34 years in GM's corporate labor relations department; 3.5 years as a Clinton appointee at the NLRB; 5 years with the State of Michigan Unemployment Compensation appeals board; and currently representing claimants in unemployment compensation appeals hearings (and publishing Hubs!)

Nabokov was a literature professor at my alma mater while I was there. Unfortunately, I missed the boat and didn't take his course! Most of my mistakes in life have been omissions, not commissions! (Others might disagree!)

11. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Thanks for the lesson Ralph smile

I still don't think I gonna read her, cause I actually like real literature, and cardboard characters don't fit there...

Lita,

I do like Nabokov a lot, he is an excellent writer in Russian, and looks like his English alter ego is appreciated, too smile

12. profile image0

"I can say this much about it that's positive: If she got her books published, the rest of us should be able to do the same thing if we set our minds to it. "

Maybe so, Pam--actually undoubtedly so, in some form.  Thing is, there are so many people writing these days.  It is often who you know in addition to persistence.

And sometimes, crap sells....  Same deal as in life.

Ralph-
    Do you have a law degree, then?  Sounds like you have had an interesting life.  smile

Nope. But I am certified by the Michigan unemployment agency to represent claimants in appeal proceedings. I completed the unemployment agency's short training program and passed their test. It wasn't hard after voting on thousands of appeals during five years on the state UC appeals board.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)