Hubtitle , should I go with my first choice or second

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (37 posts)
  1. seanorjohn profile image71
    seanorjohnposted 13 years ago

I am about to write my first commercial hub.It is about working from home setting up small businesses like a babysitting agency etc co-ordinating jobs, bringing employers and employees together for a fee.

I haven't got my head round keywords and long tails. Not expecting any help beyond one of you kind experts suggesting I go with choice 1 or 2.

Choice 1 How to make money from home helping others.

Choice 2 How to make money helping others.

Or do you think both are overly competitive?

I will write this this evening. Any help gratefully acceped.

Thanks Sean

1. nicregi profile image67
      nicregiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Like what others said, go google and key in keyword tool. use it to search which has the highest hit and you tag your article or write according to that. You wont get any wrong by doing so smile

seanorjohnposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeh, but point is I don't understand that stuff. Please vote 1 or 2.
        Thanks Sean

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
          Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'd vote neither. I like Mega's suggestion much better, or something similar.

Even without considering what's a good keyword, I didn't feel either of your titles gave me a clear idea what the Hub was about.  They sound contradictory, as if you're suggesting making money deviously out of what should be charity.

Marissa, thank you for replying. I know you must be right and logical. You are one of the hubpages geniuses.
            I didn't get where I am today by being logical. So I will carry on with the majority. ( admittedly very small)

Marissa, you frighten me, you know I will fail. But I've got to get started.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
              Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not a genius, really!  I suggest you look at the answers you're getting.

Yes, you've had some people choose either title 1 or title 2. But that's what you asked them, and many people will be too polite to tell you that both titles suck.

You now have two people suggesting you need to pick a different title altogether.  I think that's worth considering.

2. seanorjohn profile image71

Tag your article...............no idea how to ... but thanks

2. LeanMan profile image78
    LeanManposted 13 years ago

Check out the google keyword tool to see how many likely searches you will get.....

But your subject is fairly broad... use several variations and write several interlinked hubs..

Thanks Leanman, That was my aim to write ageneral one first and then to do related hubs in more detail for each home business.

The keyword tool unfortunately is too puzzling. I am awaiting a visit from a bright ten year old nephew to explain all.

What is your gut reaction 1 or2. I think I read 8 words in title is still ok.9 is too many.

3. Richard Craig profile image60
    Richard Craigposted 13 years ago

I prefer the 2nd.  It has a better ring, although you should check that it hasn't already been used.

Thanks Richard, I am not looking for a super hub.I think the 2nd is snappier but I feel too many competitors. On the other hand perhaps no one would type 8 words as in my first title.

4. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

take a look at Simone's latest tutorial, it's about how to choose the best title ..

http://learningcenter.hubpages.com/

Thanks Rebekah I will do that but tonight I write the hub on instinct.My head reels from all the seo and keyword advice. If I wait til I know what I am doing I won't be writing hubs for along time.

REbekah, I neaerly understand this. Thanks Sean

5. liljen23 profile image74
    liljen23posted 13 years ago

I like the first one because I believe you will get more visitors that are looking to work from home with that title.. I would say use the google keyword tool to check the searches and competition.. Good luck with it smile I would say long tail titles are the best..

Thanks I hoped you would go for that one.

1. liljen23 profile image74
        liljen23posted 13 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome.. smile

6. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

Choice 1 will also include all the searches for choice 2...

Good point, hadn't thought of that.And it is the one I wanted to go with.

7. seanorjohn profile image71
    seanorjohnposted 13 years ago

Thanks everone the result is 2/1 in favour of first choice , so I will go with that one.Thanks again, Sean

8. kmackey32 profile image65
    kmackey32posted 13 years ago

Why cant you use both choices put a dash between them.

Thanks kmackey I wasn't sure if a dash would count as a word.I want to keep the title to a max of 8 words.But I like the idea of a dash.

1. kmackey32 profile image65
        kmackey32posted 13 years agoin reply to this

yea I do that with a lot of hubs. Someone once told me too.. I think it was Misha but im not possative.

Wow any advice that comes from Misha is very welcome. Thanks K, you are a star.

2. kmackey32 profile image65
        kmackey32posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Is there a reason you keep a 8 word max?

Yes, you get far more traffic if you keep to a maximum of 8 words in your title.Thanks again for your generous help.

9. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 13 years ago

or how about Starting Your Own Home Services Agency ?

Thanks Mega, I really like that title.

1. mega1 profile image79
        mega1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

you're welcome, anytime!

Hope things are going well for you Mega. You deserve to be top dog. Sorry cat. Ireally love that title you suggested. Far more help than I expected. I was a little worried that hubbers would think me a bit cheeky or lazy for asking this question.But all this help has galvanized me to action.

Mega, if I use that title, which I think I will I will make sure I repay you for your kindness. Backlinks will come your way.... when I figure it out. Also a giant hubber pointed out on some site, you need another hubber to promote you ( you can't promote yourself) he got someone to do it and got 500,000 views plus. Mark knowles. So we could all ........ I will certainly do it for you. Thanks again Sean

1. mega1 profile image79
        mega1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

thanks sean!  I can use any promotion I can get - helping each other is what these forums are really for and I'm always glad to see these kind of posts.  I know what its like to try to think up something and it just won't come  - a few words to other hubbers and look how great the response is!  I will remember this next time I'm in a bind with some project. I often forget to ask for help.

like - I wrote a 3 part series that is a fiction story about a man with erectile dysfunction - which started out to be kinda funny but ended up more serious in a tongue-in-cheek kind of way.  But I think my readers are far to kind and gentle to give me some real critique - which is what I need if I'm going to keep doing these kind of things.  If you can, you would help me out a lot by just letting me know what you thought of these - called Aroused - parts 1 thro 3.  I think this wouldn't be considered promoting myself to ask for your advice here.  hope not.

Mega I read those stories , they were weird and great. Honestly, I was so stunned I forgot to leave comments. But yes I follow your writings and truly recommend you to other hubbers.
          Wow, I think I have just hijacked ( prob not the right terminolgy) my own post.

Read MEGA

10. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 13 years ago

so it really does pay to be a friend and help out other hubbers!  hehehe  smile  fun too!  I'm glad you liked those.  I got so few comments I began to think I was doing something wrong.  I do need to edit myself a little better and not be so darn wordy. I know that is a factor for sure.  Usually I do better if I wait a couple days before I go and publish the thing.  Look at it several times etc.  But but some people have been talking about how they do you know, 6 - 7 hubs in one day! I thought I should get a bit faster.  I will never get to that point I know that for sure.

Mega, you write from the heart and it is well received, You have left lovely short comments to me and others. I think you will be rewarded in the long run.I really do.

Great thanks for your help.
      Sean

11. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

For what it's worth, I checked the Keyword tool for you. No one (and I mean NO ONE) is searching for either. They are looking for "make money from home," but I suspect there's a ton of competition for that keyword phrase.

Irohner, thank you so much. If I get any reward I will remember your help and make sure you benefit. Thank you for your generous help.You will get backlinks galore ..... when I figure it out.

Thanks Sean

I am keeping a notebook of all you great hubbers. Very old fashioned approach. But I won't forget.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)