Savory VERY low-carb bread recipe!

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (24 posts)
  1. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

A couple of weeks ago, bloodwork revealed that my fasting glucose was high - 154. I've never had a problem with high glucose before. In fact, several times it's been too low. Anyway, this kind of scared me, so I've almost completely stopped eating foods with a high glycemic index. The hardest part of this for me is doing without bread. Avoiding sweets is no problem, but I crave bread. I found a basic recipe for focaccia bread that has practically no carbs! If you know me, you know I always have to tweak a recipe to make it my own, so I turned this one into an herb bread.

If anyone is interested, I'll post the quick and easy recipe here.

BTW, I'm having another test on Monday.

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yea I'd be interested....i try to stay away from bread...just doesn't work well with my system as I get older....feels really heavy now when I eat it...but I love it...so i'd try a really, really low carb bread recipe...

i can't eat pasta anymore either...too heavy...unless it's homemade...seems lighter for some reason.

2. Mark Knowles profile image57
      Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Post it. I am an a no carb diet to get rid of my giving up smoking extra XX pounds. I haven't had a beer or any bread for two weeks. sad

1. profile image0
        klarawieckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Shame on you!!!! No beer for two weeks! yikes

1. Mark Knowles profile image57

I know. No real loss - I live in France. wink

1. profile image0

That's against the law here in America! lol

American beer? Even worse than French beer. With one exception - The Weeping Radish Brewery. Outer Banks. Bought at the brewery - un pasteurized - best beer in America.

1. profile image0

Beer is beer, Mark! wink

Ummm. No. There is beer - and there is American piss-water.

Beer:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3104/2561424587_77978f9ec1_o.jpg

American piss-water:

http://www.123backgrounds.com/freebg/1060.jpg

1. profile image0
                    girly_girl09posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Blech!!! Why millions of people drink this escapes me!

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
            rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

no bread? sad

Yeah - that is bad. sad

3. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 13 years ago

Okay, guys - here it is:

Basic recipe:

2 cups ground flax seed (flax meal)
      1 tablespoon baking powder
      1/2 cup water
      1/3 cup oil
      5 beaten eggs

Mix together flax and baking powder, then add other ingredients. Let rest for about 5 minutes. I then added basil, garlic salt, minced garlic, onion powder, and a little Splenda.

Spread the mixture on a silicone baking sheet to about 1/2-inch. Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes. When it cools a little, mark it into squares with a knife.

If you don't have a silicone sheet, do what I did - line a baking sheet with oiled foil.

Flax meal has 4 grams of carbs per serving, but it also has 4 grams of fiber, negating any carb impact. This bread is also high in Omega 3 fats and fiber!

Maybe I should write a hub about it!

Yes - hub good. big_smile

What is splenda?

1. rmcrayne profile image90
          rmcrayneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Splenda is an artificial sweetner.  Artificial sweetners in general deplete the immune system.  My naturopath recommends stevia.

2. rmcrayne profile image90
        rmcrayneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Definitely think you should do a hub about it.

4. profile image0
      girly_girl09posted 13 years ago

That would also be a great gluten-free idea! I think I will try it and put rosemary and some asiago cheese on top...yum!

I buy gluten-free millet and flax rolls from a local bakery that are VERY good (texture and taste is amazing), although I think millet is probably higher on the GI index than flax.

Also, Habee - have you looked into baking with brown rice flour? I eat tons of stuff with that and it is pretty low on the index (in the low 50's, I think). It has a great taste and texture. Brown rice pasta is also equally amazing - it tastes identical to regular white pasta. I discovered it a few weeks ago and it was the first time I was able to eat and truly enjoy pasta without feeling sick.

5. Daniel Carter profile image63
      Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

habee, you're a friggin' genius. I love what you do.

@Mark: I've been living on salads of all kinds, with all kinds of proteins in them. I have high cholesterol and I'm at the exact weight I'm supposed to be. (All genetic, but not on prescrips--hopefully never).

I think I might binge on chocolate this weekend. I can't white knuckle the rest of my life. I've decided I get one to two cheat meals a week. We'll see how that goes.

Thanks for the recipe, habee! Yes, write the hub!

No prescips here either - just need to lose the weight I put on when I quit smoking. sad

Enjoy the binge. big_smile

1. Daniel Carter profile image63
          Daniel Carterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If there were any keywords that Adsense would pay for, I'd hub about the binge. But I don't have the drive for it. Eating sounds more enjoyable.

You're the determined type. You'll meet your goals. Good for you.

6. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

another organic flour that is excellent for baking and gluten free is coconut flour. it is high fiber, high protein and has a mild naturally sweet taste~ so it requires less sweetener with baked items. I don't like to use any sugar, so will usually substitute with local honey.

habee, I can almost taste your bread. it sounds delicious.

1. profile image0
        Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I do not trust no Splenda! If you cannot eat sugar even in small quantities, put a teaspoon of raw honey, or don't put anything, how hard is that? Why should we substitute one evil thing for another? If you add some crushed nuts into your bread, it will get more flavour. Oil should be canola or olive or sunflower unpasterised if you can get one. In my old country they eat a lot of rye bread, heavy, dark and delicious. M-m-m, I miss it!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)